• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The XXXX Brewery tour was good. I managed to get 2-3 extra free beers on top of the two free ones. I like XXXX Gold and their Summer Lager.

Overall, I've enjoyed my week in Brisbane. Now I'm going back up to Caboolture to pick some strawberries.

Shaneus

How long is the game on it? I would probably dial it down to easy just so I can experience it (rather than looking for a challenge).

senahorse

It's a long game, 15-20 hours. To get the most from it, play it on one of the harder (preferably the hardest) setting. It's full survival horror, with a huge emphasis on survival, not action. Basically it's a case of, if the alien sees you, you are dead.

I've been investigating government assistance for a full time mature age student with two kids and I have no idea what I'm doing. It seems as though there are a dozen different payments operated by a handful of different government departments and they're all means tested in different ways, but on separate sliding scales that sometimes do or don't take into account your partners' income.

I have never actually dealt with CentreLink or the Department of Human Services, so I'm thoroughly muddled. Is there anyone I can talk to about this? I'm trying to determine whether it's financially viable for one of us (wife or I) to go back to uni full time, but I'm lost as to what we're eligible or not eligible for.

Bernbaum

The XXXX Brewery tour was good. I managed to get 2-3 extra free beers on top of the two free ones. I like XXXX Gold and their Summer Lager.

Overall, I've enjoyed my week in Brisbane. Now I'm going back up to Caboolture to pick some strawberries.

XXXX is horrible beer but the tour is nice. There are two beers they have at the bar there that you can't get anywhere else - the woodcask lager, and some other thing. They are drinkable versions of XXXX and it's perplexing that they are not available outside of the brewery. Of course, you would have learnt that they brew other states' garbage beers like Tooheys and I think Hahn, not just XXXX.

I've been investigating government assistance for a full time mature age student with two kids and I have no idea what I'm doing. It seems as though there are a dozen different payments operated by a handful of different government departments and they're all means tested in different ways, but on separate sliding scales that sometimes do or don't take into account your partners' income.

I have never actually dealt with CentreLink or the Department of Human Services, so I'm thoroughly muddled. Is there anyone I can talk to about this? I'm trying to determine whether it's financially viable for one of us (wife or I) to go back to uni full time, but I'm lost as to what we're eligible or not eligible for.

Try going into a Centrelink and talk to a human. Centrelink's are soul-crushing places, but if you get the right person to help you, they'll know the system and find some means of getting you what you're entitled to.

The second time I went to uni to do undergrad, I got full Centrelink, but even though I didn't receive support payments for the first few years of uni study, those years essentially consumed my 'quota' of entitled months of payments. As such, I was faced with the prospect of losing all Centrelink support for my final year of study, which was a nightmare scenario for me. The guy helping me saw that his was unfair, and he put me on some 12 month entitlement they usually reserve for people doing 1-year certificates or any self-development training that would make the applicant more employable. It was perfect for me, as it was the full dole payment, and not Youth Allowance, and I was entitled to get it for a full year so it covered the months of non-study between semesters.

I would have had no idea that option were available to me had I not gone through the process in person. Also, visiting your local Centrelink has the added benefit of inspiring you to become a better human, as those places are like a Mos Eisley of bogans.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looks like I built my PC nearly 4 years ago. Purchased the CPU (2500k) in June 2011.

Not too bad, Considering there isn't a major rush to actually upgrade it as there's been no advancement in CPUs. Skylake is coming up and even then that's not looking all that crash hot.

I am tempted to grab a 6-core X99 setup (expensive) which I imagine would last me for 4+ years without any issues. However there is AMD's Zen 8 core which is coming out next year as well.

Don't know why, But I have the itch to upgrade ha.

Fredescu

Try going into a Centrelink and talk to a human.

The other option is to set a few hours aside to wait on hold and talk to a human on the phone. You will have to wait forever, and it they really bury the option to talk to someone in their menus, but once you do actually talk to a human, they're usually very helpful. My wife had to do this a few times for child care support, and various other things, and this strategy worked best because you just leave the hold music running for a couple of hours while you're doing other things.

Shaneus

Looks like I built my PC nearly 4 years ago. Purchased the CPU (2500k) in June 2011.

Not too bad, Considering there isn't a major rush to actually upgrade it as there's been no advancement in CPUs. Skylake is coming up and even then that's not looking all that crash hot.

I am tempted to grab a 6-core X99 setup (expensive) which I imagine would last me for 4+ years without any issues. However there is AMD's Zen 8 core which is coming out next year as well.

I think I was reading a thread on Witcher 3 requirements (or maybe something else?) and people were saying that for those with 2500K CPUs, there's no need to upgrade to something newer (I think the 3570K), just overclock a little more. Mine's still solid as hell, and that's after running it at 4.9GHz for years now (I guess almost 5 if they came out in 2011).

The other option is to set a few hours aside to wait on hold and talk to a human on the phone. You will have to wait forever, and it they really bury the option to talk to someone in their menus, but once you do actually talk to a human, they're usually very helpful. My wife had to do this a few times for child care support, and various other things, and this strategy worked best because you just leave the hold music running for a couple of hours while you're doing other things.
I'm already on my way to the CentreLink office. Unemployment leaves me with a bit of time and it'll mean I get out of the house for a while.

Cerity

I think I was reading a thread on Witcher 3 requirements (or maybe something else?) and people were saying that for those with 2500K CPUs, there's no need to upgrade to something newer (I think the 3570K), just overclock a little more. Mine's still solid as hell, and that's after running it at 4.9GHz for years now (I guess almost 5 if they came out in 2011).

I'm running my 2500k at stock and hardly seeing usage go past 40-50% on witcher 3. In fact I've yet to play game that really demands that 4.7ghz clock I can reach with this chip.

My motherboard is probably going to go before this 2500k does lol.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Try going into a Centrelink and talk to a human. Centrelink's are soul-crushing places, but if you get the right person to help you, they'll know the system and find some means of getting you what you're entitled to.

[...]

Also, visiting your local Centrelink has the added benefit of inspiring you to become a better human, as those places are like a Mos Eisley of bogans.

I think this is the reason why Caboolture's Centrelink is right next to the Caboolture State School. "Pay attention here kids, or end up next door."

I went there two weeks ago and signed up to Medicare. It brought back memories of the two times I was on the dole in the UK.

I bought my CPU in 2008 (Q9450) and am still using it. With an SSD and 750Ti it's still a great PC. I left it in Scotland though as I don't want to be carrying it around with me on my travels.

Last year I decided to wait until Skylake. But then I went to Australia instead, and as I don't want to carry around a desktop, I've decided to wait until Pascal. But please note this "wait for <x>" tactic is more a case of giving me enough time to decide what country I'll be living in for the next few years rather than playing that classic perpetual waiting game.

Quasar

Well the student allowance would be Austudy, but I have no idea whether that takes into account things like kids.

The Goodna CentreLink doesn't have anyone trained in student or family stuff and they just referred me to their phone lines. I ring up on their free phones and the queue is an hour long :/

I could have spent the morning playing video games and been more productive than this.

Fredescu

0qzq1Ph.png

Will the crossovers ever end? Let's hope not. Four n Twenty pies are rubbish though.

Quasar

The Goodna CentreLink doesn't have anyone trained in student or family stuff and they just referred me to their phone lines. I ring up on their free phones and the queue is an hour long :/

I could have spent the morning playing video games and been more productive than this.

Yeah. The student line is really bad. Is it really that hard to solve their phone line problem. But yeah, every time I've called the student lines its been like an hour wait. Especially annoying given I when I have had to ring its for 2 minutes to solve that for inexplicable reasons their online service won't let me fix (such as changing my recorded enrolment details).

This hype for splatoon is a special Nintendo thing. I assume it will have a thriving mp community.
lol nice one

I like many others were expecting bomba but Nintendo have really spent a ton on marketing for Splatoon, bombarded kids TV with ads for the last few weeks, so I wouldn't be shocked to see it sell well.

Cheap as fuck game to make so makes sense they splurge on the marketing.

Morning everyone!

NINJA PIZZA GIRL IS NOW AVAILABLE ON STEAM!

Of course, I'd love to know what you think! And ANY help you can give by spreading the word (Facebook, Twitter, GAF) would be...oh man I'm gonna hug the crap out of you at PAX or wherever. Please <3
I already retweeted you Gaz!

I'm already on my way to the CentreLink office. Unemployment leaves me with a bit of time and it'll mean I get out of the house for a while.
Damn sorry to hear dude, hope something pops up for you ASAP.

If only you called up last Thursday back when they gave a shit!

Shaneus

*High five*
Although Beaumonts were by far my favourite, but I suspect they were Geelong only and don't even think they make them anymore :(

Edit: They were bought out in 2007, but the company that bought them still makes a pie to their original recipe. Woo!

Fredescu

The actual best pies were made in the Vietnamese bakery I worked in for less than minimum wage in high school. Don't visit while they're making them though, oh the smell.

I like how the government response is essentially "we should make them stop calling" rather than "we should hire more people to answer the phones".
Yeah anyone involved in public operations would agree with that sentiment entirely. The last few years has basically been 'Cut everyone! Increase services! Don't let people through the door! Point them in the direction of another town! No more coffee breaks! Unpaid overtime is in the fine print!'.

Although Beaumonts were by far my favourite, but I suspect they were Geelong only and don't even think they make them anymore :(

Noooooooo Beaumonts are great, they better still make them!

Fredescu

Yeah anyone involved in public operations would agree with that sentiment entirely. The last few years has basically been 'Cut everyone! Increase services! Don't let people through the door! Point them in the direction of another town! No more coffee breaks! Unpaid overtime is in the fine print!'.

This is why I don't have much sympathy for anyone complaining about GST on imports. We should be demanding higher taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom