• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Saw this on Facebook, guess I didn't need to preorder Ness after all
11377297_910098815713636_4164399702124959770_n.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Picked up my Splatoons, Jiggly P and Greninja today.

So what is everyone after? Reptile still wants a Falcon Disney Infinity which I'm keeping an eye out for. What else should I be looking for?

Yagharek

Villager and any fire emblem character.

Captain toad is also compatible with Toad and then the three woolly yoshis later this month.

MoonGred

Still looking for falcon, ness, wario, little mac.

Which store was it that had all the ness ones?

Come to think of it I've never even seen a falcon anywhere.

N0VAM0D

Well, I'm officially living back in Newcastle now! Sydney was great, but things happened, and living there would have been too difficult from then on. I still have to be in Sydney on Mondays and Tuesdays because of school anyway, so I guess I'll have the best of both worlds! I'm really excited.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'll probably be moseying on up to Cairns to work on a banana farm or something next month.

The Brisbane area still has decent weather during the day, but is getting too cold at night.

Bernbaum

Finally got Splatoon to work and all I needed was a new router!

Got to level 6 and
got
schooled
by
Axiom.

Seems like content overload now that I'm finally online. What have I missed? How has the content changed since it went live last week?

Quasar

Anyone had any problems with the PS4 sleep mode lately? I have been having issues lately. My PS4 would go from sleep mode to off and I'd have to unplug and plug the power to get it to restart.

Dryk

Still looking for falcon, ness, wario, little mac.

Which store was it that had all the ness ones?
Frankston Target apparently.

Come to think of it I've never even seen a falcon anywhere.
On the morning they came out JB in the Adelaide CBD had three Falcons. When I went back on the way home they were gone, and the JB closer to my house had two left. I've never seen any more.

Finally got Splatoon to work and all I needed was a new router!

Got to level 6 and
got
schooled
by
Axiom.

Seems like content overload now that I'm finally online. What have I missed? How has the content changed since it went live last week?
Zapper, Port Mackerel and Ranked Mode got activated last week. Inkbrush yesterday. There's at least one or two maps that are in single-player but haven't been activated yet.

Bernbaum

Zapper, Port Mackerel and Ranked Mode got activated last week. Inkbrush yesterday. There's at least one or two maps that are in single-player but haven't been activated yet.

I'm fairly sure I've only played two maps thus far. I can see silhouettes of weapons I've already unlocked. Are they more powerful versions of the starter weapons or do they just come with different special weapons?

Dryk

There are a lot that are the same weapon with brand stickers and different sub-weapons. Like there's a second Splattershot with Tentatek branding that has Suction Bomb and Inkzooka, and a Krak-on brand Roller with a spawn beacon and Kraken super. But I haven't unlocked the later rollers to figure out if they're easy to tell apart.

EDIT: Also yeah you would've only played two maps. The way it's set up at the moment each of the two modes has two maps in rotation at a time that change every 4 hours. There's room in the UI to expand it to three when there are more maps but it's two for now.

Bernbaum

There are a lot that are the same weapon with brand stickers and different sub-weapons. Like there's a second Splattershot with Tentatek branding that has Suction Bomb and Inkzooka, and a Krak-on brand Roller with a spawn beacon and Kraken super. But I haven't unlocked the later rollers to figure out if they're easy to tell apart.

EDIT: Also yeah you would've only played two maps. The way it's set up at the moment each of the two modes has two maps in rotation at a time that change every 4 hours. There's room in the UI to expand it to three when there are more maps but it's two for now.
Ah, so the maps mentioned by the two announcers are the ones 'on display' for that four hour block. I'll chase up a wiki or the OT.

Rollers seem OP. What's the catch?

MoonGred

The paint roller still feels the most natural to me, I've tried some other ones but I have a harder time to paint surface.
The only weapon I'm interested in is the areo sprayer or whatever it's called, but I can't even seem to find it's silhouette in the shop.

Pretty excited to get that full samurai gear from the boy amiigo, challenges will be a pain with the roller though.
Is there a trick to paint upwards with the roller? If I need to scale a wall now I paint as high as I can, dive and jump + attack when I get to the top of the paint. It's pretty time consuming seeing as it hardly adds any paint.

Edit: it's not that op, you only have melee range so you have to be careful when painting, and I found the weapon to be a bad choice in the skatepart.

What's the reason behind the 4h map rotation btw.

Dryk

Both Aerosprays are from the third boss blueprints. Also the roller is slow and hard to climb walls with, but yeah it covers a lot and it's easy to get sneaky kills with.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ah, so the maps mentioned by the two announcers are the ones 'on display' for that four hour block. I'll chase up a wiki or the OT.

Rollers seem OP. What's the catch?

If someone has a splatter shot, all they need to do to avoide you is run backwards and shoot. squid to get some distance, pop up shoot etc.

Bernbaum

Is there a trick to paint upwards with the roller? If I need to scale a wall now I paint as high as I can, dive and jump + attack when I get to the top of the paint. It's pretty time consuming seeing as it hardly adds any paint.

I don't think there's a trick. Seems to be one of the drawbacks of the roller.

What's the big deal about getting to level 10? What happens at 10?

Dryk

Level 10 is when Ranked Battle unlocks, which is currently a King of the Hill mode I haven't played yet since I literally just hit level 10. What's your NNID anyway?

Jintor

the reasoning seems to be so you can get your weapon sets sorted. Which... is not a convincing reason, but I'm still having fun so like, whatever

Rezbit

Hey guys, my girlfriend is in the market to replace her aging iPhone 4 but doesn't wanna spend a boatload. So with a budget of around $300 outright, what out there would be better? Looking at the Samsung S5 mini and Samsung A3 at the moment which are both around that price, anyone know much about them? They look very similar specs wise. Thanks!

Dryk

the reasoning seems to be so you can get your weapon sets sorted. Which... is not a convincing reason, but I'm still having fun so like, whatever
So it's a strange design decision, to compensate for limitations... which are also a strange design decision. Amazing.

Bernbaum

Gloria Jeans are introducing peanut butter & coffee monstrosities.

What the fuck is happening.

Why are you in a franchise chain for coffee? Are you not in Australia right now?

So I got all the Amiibos for Splatoon for the extra content. The challenges are fun and a good means of getting currency and orbs for levelling up. Are there any games that benefit from Amiibos as much as Splatoon does?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Why are you in a franchise chain for coffee? Are you not in Australia right now?

So I got all the Amiibos for Splatoon for the extra content. The challenges are fun and a good means of getting currency and orbs for levelling up. Are there any games that benefit from Amiibos as much as Splatoon does?

Hyrule Warriors gives you new weapons to use in the main game, for me that's probably the top use so far.

Deeku

yeah!

this is probably what i miss most about not being in sydney. like, there are nice coffee places here, but they're targeted to expats and are therefore 100x more snobby than the average snobby/hipster cafe in sydney:/

so yeah, now i go to starbucks a lot and it's actually not bad!

Jintor

So it's a strange design decision, to compensate for limitations... which are also a strange design decision. Amazing.

No, the weapon sets are a completely makes-sense design decision. Far easier to balance.

I actually like it quite a lot, but I think the switch over should be 2 hours, not 4.

Dryk

No I meant in terms of having to leave the lobby in order to switch stuff out, having set loadouts for weapons is fine by me because I suck at tweaking that sort of thing anyway.

Bernbaum

Yea there should really be an option to atleast swap weapons between rounds.

That's my one main gripe with this.

The game would play completely differently with decent voicechat. Teammates armed with the paintbrush could be used in co-operation with "heavies" weapons to infiltrate enemy and paint shit up. The game as it stands is still a free-for-all.

Hey guys, my girlfriend is in the market to replace her aging iPhone 4 but doesn't wanna spend a boatload. So with a budget of around $300 outright, what out there would be better? Looking at the Samsung S5 mini and Samsung A3 at the moment which are both around that price, anyone know much about them? They look very similar specs wise. Thanks!
I have an S5 that I'm pretty happy with and my previous phone was a 4S. The screen alone will blow her away and the camera is also a big step up. Can't speak to an A3.

Has she used an Android phone before?

Rezbit

I have an S5 that I'm pretty happy with and my previous phone was a 4S. The screen alone will blow her away and the camera is also a big step up. Can't speak to an A3.

Has she used an Android phone before?

Yeah I think she's used a really old version on an old Samsung. Is the S5 mini really gimped compared to the regular one?

The game would play completely differently with decent voicechat. Teammates armed with the paintbrush could be used in co-operation with "heavies" weapons to infiltrate enemy and paint shit up. The game as it stands is still a free-for-all.
False, voice chat is the fucking devil and Nintendo is a saint for banning it.

Bernbaum

False, voice chat is the fucking devil and Nintendo is a saint for banning it.

I'm not saying it would be better - just play fundamentally different. I'm sure in Japan somewhere, there is cell filled with 4 gamers that are playing ranked battles and communicating their strategy.

Xbox live chat was when I lost the last shred of hope I had in humanity.

MoonGred

I was waiting around and they had the tv on the morning show advertising a 24 in 1 ladder, I could swear I saw the same ladder on tv 10 years ago.

Do tv products just rotate every so many year?

Bernbaum

Commercial TV is just an alien planet in my household. All my TV viewing is either Netflix or NBA Game time. I might watch the ABC news every now and then, but because I read online news at work all day, there's no need to watch news at a fixed time each evening.

I was in my current place for 6 months before plugging in the antenna, and that was to watch the cricket. The last few cricket series I've watched have mostly been on Pay TV on the tellies at work or I'll be watching it at a pub.

Television advertising is an enormous industry and they get exactly 0% of my attention. If I'm compelled to buy anything, it's because it was cheap on Ozbargain.com.au or it was something I needed and researched before purchasing.

-

E3 is next week - holy shit! Hoping for some good WiiU news. I got this thing for the eventual Zelda release, but even that's not guaranteed. Splatoon and MK8 are both fantastic though.

I finished DKCR:3D this morning. Nothing satisfies like a Nintendo boss.

Jintor

tbh i think it's fine w/o voicechat. maybe leave it for friend lobbies or something. but god, the amount of raging that would happen in pub games.

Dryk

OMFG, I'm camping the main entrance to mid of Arowana Wall with a Splash Wall and .52 Gal and the enemy team just keep rushing into it and dying instead of going around.

Jintor

yeah you can do some real damage there with a surprise wall or sprinkler. but once you get to B games and up everything gets real hard :<

I'm really bummed out by how hard it is to join in on friends... I just want to play lobbies already. Not 4 matchmaking... just let me set a friends only lobby...

Cerity

Walked past one at the local shopping centre and they had an advertisement out on them.

Not even sure why they're still there tbh, the never seem busy and coffee club have been taking their customers for years.

It might be a few hours before I stop buzzing from today's GoT ep9. watch it soon if you don't want major spoilers because I've already seen memes popping up.

hamchan

It might be a few hours before I stop buzzing from today's GoT ep9. watch it soon if you don't want major spoilers because I've already seen memes popping up.

Seems like this episode goes into some kinda important stuff that either hasn't happened in the books yet or was changed for the show, but has been foreshadowed by GRRM. So looking forward to watching it.

Seems like this episode goes into some kinda important stuff that either hasn't happened in the books yet or was changed for the show, but has been foreshadowed by GRRM. So looking forward to watching it.

not really spoilers but more the emotions you will feel
there's stuff to make you angry, there's stuff to make you shit your pants

Bernbaum

I've read all but the last two books of ASOIAF, but haven't watched a single second of the show.

How far ahead of the books or how different is the show with this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom