• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
So jelly :(

Lived in a national park for 12 years and all I saw were possums, deer and snakes. I've never seen any koalas in the wild although they apparently live in the park.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I lived in the country for several years and I saw kangaroos in my backyard all the time..

Dryk

We don't really get any native mammals around here. There was a possum living in a palm tree next door for a few months last year but I haven't seen it for a while.

A flock of sulfies passed through the area a little while ago though :3

Yrael

Here are some pictures of the koala that was trying to "break in":

u9Ajeno.png

WenGoqi.png

6AaoST1.png

I have also encountered several blue-tongued lizards, a few possums and, worryingly, a brown snake on the property.

@ClivePwned

"a tattooed koala wearing a balaclava and brandishing a glock with its nose pressed up against the window pane"

Thanks, I laughed. xD

Not sure if we have many people representing canberra but I figured it's worth a shot. I'm travelling down to Canberra for 4-5 days next month and looking for things to do. At the moment we're planning to go skiing, ice skating, truffle hunting and to go to the war museum (plus local restaurants of course). Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, more obscure stuff is quite welcome. My partner used to live there but I've never been so everything is new to me.

Amazing pictures there btw.

Not sure if we have many people representing canberra but I figured it's worth a shot. I'm travelling down to Canberra for 4-5 days next month and looking for things to do. At the moment we're planning to go skiing, ice skating, truffle hunting and to go to the war museum (plus local restaurants of course). Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, more obscure stuff is quite welcome. My partner used to live there but I've never been so everything is new to me.

there was this one guy on AusGaf from Canberra, but...

Talk me through what happened... can't really watch it at work.

I highly recommend you find the hour to watch it at home and not click the spoiler.

three former colleagues from Midway chicago- friends and very, very drunk- insult each other, have a major falling out, one tweets the other's phone number so people can ring him during the stream, then spends 40 minutes trying to be not drunk enough to apologize

Roulette

I highly recommend you find the hour to watch it at home and not click the spoiler.

three former colleagues from Midway chicago- friends and very, very drunk- insult each other, have a major falling out, one tweets the other's phone number so people can ring him during the stream, then spends 40 minutes trying to be not drunk enough to apologize

I was watching live, it was great.
I wouldn't consider it a falling out, though. They're old, old friends. You could tell he was mad at the time, but in the way you get mad at your best friend for creasing your new shirt or some dumb shit, I don't know. Also they were super drunk.

I was watching live, it was great.
I wouldn't consider it a falling out, though. They're old, old friends. You could tell he was mad at the time, but in the way you get mad at your best friend for creasing your new shirt or some dumb shit, I don't know. Also they were super drunk.

Yeah he'd be over it by now. I'm sure he'll get back at him by mailing him a box of spiders or some shit. Dude is crazy.

Inside Out was fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Wife and son hated it, said it was too depressing :(

They went with the cousins though and had a bust up before the movie started so that likely didn't help their mood lol. Should have seen Minions instead!

Too many damn movies coming out. Minions this weekend with my son is a lock though, seems like the perfect laugh out loud movie for us.

Stackboy

Saw Inside Out on Friday, my wife loved it. I thought it was just ok.

BATMAN this week! But I have to move this weekend, glad we are getting the internet connected on Monday.

Jintor

was just sitting in my apartment the other day thinking 'god damn i haven't heard an honest to god kookaburra in a year'

the brit in our town didn't even know what a kookaburra was. weirdo

realistically, living where I did, mostly just cockatoos, lorikeets, possums, the occasional brush turkey, and various other australian fauna. think there might've been wallabies and wombats up north in the hawksbury valley, but maybe not

Quasar

Finally the long wait for NBN people to dig up the lawns of my street has begun.

And to thing prior to the last election we had already been informed that work had started. Thanks Malcolm for the delay.

My place, Christmas day.

DIkneLL.jpg

Other Canberra stuff:

• National Arboretum: Plants and trees planted by famous leaders and others. Still pretty young, will be great in 50 years!
  • Black Mountain Tower: Giant tower in the middle of town, can see entire city, no one seems to care about it or even notice it.
  • The Glassworks: Glass art gallery, you can even make your own.
  • Bus Depot Markets: Right next door to the Glassworks. Go on a Sunday to do both.
  • Old Parliament House: Also contains a democracy museum.
  • Questacon: Probably need to bring kids, or just be a giant kid at heart.
  • National Gallery + High Court: Brutalism at it's finest.
  • Stromlo Observatory and Tidbinbilla Space Tracking Centre: A bit out of town, but there is also a Nature Reserve out near Tidbinbilla.

senahorse

Finally the long wait for NBN people to dig up the lawns of my street has begun.

And to thing prior to the last election we had already been informed that work had started. Thanks Malcolm for the delay.

At least you're getting it. My area went from "ready for service December 2013" to "Under construction, Ready for Service TBD", to "Remediation Started", to "Work has not started in your area". We are in area 5, 1-4 are completed, 6-8 are completed, 9 and 10 are under construction. Talking to a Telstra guy last week they are planning on rolling out cable (copper) and having our area become a cable 'nbn' site, thanks Malcolm.

legend166

was just sitting in my apartment the other day thinking 'god damn i haven't heard an honest to god kookaburra in a year'

realistically, living where I did, mostly just cockatoos, lorikeets, possums, the occasional brush turkey, and various other australian fauna. think there might've been wallabies and wombats up north in the hawksbury valley, but maybe not

I had the 'pleasure' of being woken up by a stupid Kookaburra almost every morning.

Also, since moving to the Blue Mountains I've been disappointed at the lack of animals I've seen. Haven't even seen a snake yet. Pffft.

Darren870

The NBN coverage area stops literally 2 houses down from mine.

Now all i get is "The rollout of the nbn™ network has not started yet in this location. " Whenever I check the rollout map.

--

As for animals, I love the Australian animals here. Though, after our recent trip to Borneo the missus and I were discussing animals and I forget that the US has a lot of crazy animals too. Much more then here. I guess because the Australian animals are so unique they are a bit more special then those back home.

She hasn't seen any of the US ones though. Can't wait to show her a moose or something huge. Better not hit it though, fucking things.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
When I was out running today (Morayfield) I saw four kangaroos.

One of them was a child, and it was just bouncing around the field with its mother watching it. The child then ran until it was around 2 metres away from me, then ran away. The mother then proceeded to come within 2 metres of me and to stare me down. Quite an experience really.

...And then I came back home and realised that last night I left out some Kanga Bangas to defrost for dinner tonight.

Roulette

I got kookaburras for days. Possum hangs out on my front verandah every other night. A couple of nights back I had to swing a bag of dirty nappies at it so I could get to our bins. Turns out they don't like that.

I think we actually have lyrebirds in the creek behind my house, but the backyard is way too overgrown to see them. If anyone knows how to deal with onion weed (I think that's what it is), I'm all ears.

Shaneus

When I was out running today (Morayfield) I saw four kangaroos.

One of them was a child, and it was just bouncing around the field with its mother watching it. The child then ran until it was around 2 metres away from me, then ran away. The mother then proceeded to come within 2 metres of me and to stare me down. Quite an experience really.

...And then I came back home and realised that last night I left out some Kanga Bangas to defrost for dinner tonight.
You know "child" kangaroos are called joeys, yeah?

And I haven't had those bangas, but I've had the roo burgers before. Quite nice, if a little *too* bloody when I cook them.

Gazunta

OK so you guys know how much I love my Surface Pro 2 right? I mean, I adorrrre that thing. So much so that when my desktop PC died
RIP old Krome PC you were monsterously overspecced for someone who just ran Word and Chrome all day
I didn't even really notice much because I used the SP2 for everything!

Well last night I noticed something weird about the power cable. Instead of not having no flames, the connection had LOTS OF FLAMES. I checked out the manual and there was no mention of fires spontaneously breaking out when you connect the power cable to the device. Weird!

So. Can anyone think of where I can just walk into a store and buy a power cable for the darn thing? I have spent my lunch break calling every JB Hi Fi and Harvey Norman under the sun and they only stock Surface Pro 3 accessories now. I guess if I can't find anything I will get one from eBay but who knows how long that will take - I really would like to just get one from a store today or tomorrow if possible.

Jintor

the real problem back home was possums. I remember one day I woke up and a possum had fallen through the roof into our bathroom and was absolutely freaking out in there.

called in the rscpa or something and they trapped it and... released it back into our backyard

ecologically it was probably the best option, but that wasn't what i was thinking when that dang possum did excatly the same thing two weeks later

OK so you guys know how much I love my Surface Pro 2 right? I mean, I adorrrre that thing. So much so that when my desktop PC died
RIP old Krome PC you were monsterously overspecced for someone who just ran Word and Chrome all day
I didn't even really notice much because I used the SP2 for everything!

Well last night I noticed something weird about the power cable. Instead of not having no flames, the connection had LOTS OF FLAMES. I checked out the manual and there was no mention of fires spontaneously breaking out when you connect the power cable to the device. Weird!

So. Can anyone think of where I can just walk into a store and buy a power cable for the darn thing? I have spent my lunch break calling every JB Hi Fi and Harvey Norman under the sun and they only stock Surface Pro 3 accessories now. I guess if I can't find anything I will get one from eBay but who knows how long that will take - I really would like to just get one from a store today or tomorrow if possible.
I think I worked out where you went wrong

could you ask a space captain to borrow one from his RT?

Deeku

i've found city apartment living in hong kong to be pretty great. walking around i rarely even see a pidgeon! the best thing tho, i've been here what, 2 years and i have not seen a single spider/roach/bug/anything in my home!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
i've found city apartment living in hong kong to be pretty great. walking around i rarely even see a pidgeon! the best thing tho, i've been here what, 2 years and i have not seen a single spider/roach/bug/anything in my home!

The only wildlife in Taipei are street cats and street dogs.

And a shitload of cockroaches of course.

Other Canberra stuff:

• National Arboretum: Plants and trees planted by famous leaders and others. Still pretty young, will be great in 50 years!
  • Black Mountain Tower: Giant tower in the middle of town, can see entire city, no one seems to care about it or even notice it.
  • Bus Depot Markets: Right next door to the Glassworks. Go on a Sunday to do both.
  • Stromlo Observatory and Tidbinbilla Space Tracking Centre: A bit out of town, but there is also a Nature Reserve out near Tidbinbilla.

Thanks or the suggestions, will definitely try and add some to the list.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

I get depressed not seeing nature.

radaxian

Other Canberra stuff:

I would add the Australian War Memorial to this. It might not be immediately your thing but it's an incredible museum and well worth a visit.

Deeku

I get depressed not seeing nature.
yeah, it's kinda sad that i actually have to make an effort to go see some trees:/

tho at least i'm no longer at risk of being attacked by magpies!

there are eagles around the city sometimes but they're usually, you know, high up in the sky n shit

Fuck, disabled my internet on the PC and can't work out how to get it running again, little help?!

I'm 99% sure the password I'm using is right but it keeps saying error 651 >_<

EDIT: Ignore me, I stupidly disconnected my LAC and realised such when I ran ipconfig :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom