• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like JB are matching Big W's Arkham Knight price so that's good. JB tend to have their stock out on the morning of release whereas my local Big Ws are, let's be honest, pretty useless in this regard.

Jintor

kinda tempted by the bat man but i'm still neck-deep in witcher and I want to maybe go through a few gamemaker tutorials before I embark on the next giant videogame.

still playing the splatoons too

Deeku

Was thinking about batman too, but eh.....got some backlog I'd rather get through. Plus by the time I finish witcher 3 it will probably be fallout/persona time

Shaneus

Does anyone know if they sell PSN or Steam cards at JB? Have a voucher there, may as well spend it on something game-related.

Omikron

I might just wait until launch and see how much content there is. Still pretty convinced to buy it, I play a few hours of Destiny every week. Just do the Weeklies and PoE.

How can you so easily accept that garbage though?? He is in equal measures arrogantly disparaging to both the interviewer and his consumers?

Fredescu

How can you so easily accept that garbage though?? He is in equal measures arrogantly disparaging to both the interviewer and his consumers?

Some PR guy tries to be a bit too cool in an interview and loses it a bit, but I don't know what that has to do with the quality of the game. If I were a Destiny fan, nothing in that interview would affect my desire to purchase the expansion one way or another.

Rezbit

That interview was hilarious. Was the game even fun after all that, I was hyped before it came out but don't have new consoles so didn't bother with last gen versions.

Some PR guy tries to be a bit too cool in an interview and loses it a bit, but I don't know what that has to do with the quality of the game. If I were a Destiny fan, nothing in that interview would affect my desire to purchase the expansion one way or another.

Yeah I'd say he was pissy about the position Activision has put them in too (as well as his internal bosses who make these deals and then everyone else in the company has to make chicken salad out of chicken shit).

Sucks because the core gameplay loop is so fucking good. I was playing that game for a solid few months and really enjoyed it.

Stackboy

I'm not accepting any garbage, I'm waiting until the content is released to decide if it's worth purchasing or not.

Quasar

So it seems I'm in the market for a VPN service provider. Anyway ExpressVPN is one I'm looking into, based on its privacy stances, use of OpenVPN and a few other things. Of course its biggest claim to fame is 'fastest vpn in the world'. I'm curious about that. Any ExpressVPN users around here? Curious to hear about your experiences.

Quasar

Always loved 1UP. Miss those guys. I guess its kind of interesting how many entered the orbit of Sony.

As for that expansion...I'm not sure why a person on the design side would need to defend the financial decisions. And personally I'd not be totally against a meaty expansion for a game I like at that price. Just needs to be meaty in the style of old PC expansions of old.

So it seems I'm in the market for a VPN service provider. Anyway ExpressVPN is one I'm looking into, based on its privacy stances, use of OpenVPN and a few other things. Of course its biggest claim to fame is 'fastest vpn in the world'. I'm curious about that. Any ExpressVPN users around here? Curious to hear about your experiences.
I use Getflix, it's an all in one price with their DNS service so it only costs me $20 a year. I don't think it's really that fast but does the job fine for me, I'm only on ADSL anyway.

Always loved 1UP. Miss those guys. I guess its kind of interesting how many entered the orbit of Sony.

As for that expansion...I'm not sure why a person on the design side would need to defend the financial decisions. And personally I'd not be totally against a meaty expansion for a game I like at that price. Just needs to be meaty in the style of old PC expansions of old.

Huh, had no idea he was actually a designer on the game, assumed he was still doing PR/community stuff there. He's the lead for the raids which is odd since it's probably the most praised and universally loved content! I gotta have a little more respect for him due to that. Finishing the raid was definitely the best moment in Destiny for me and something I'll probably remember for a long time.

I guess on that bolded point, why ask a designer about the price point then.

Quasar

I use Getflix, it's an all in one price with their DNS service so it only costs me $20 a year. I don't think it's really that fast but does the job fine for me, I'm only on ADSL anyway.

I currently use getflix, but with things like ISP filters and data harvesting I'm moving to a VPN. Just need to find one I like.

What is the Getflix VPN like? That would be an easy solution just I'm unclear on what things like their privacy policies are like.

I think anyone that is looking at the Destiny expansion should read this. (others should read it to because it is an amazing interview)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

It's Luke, he designs the raids, he isn't in charge of marketing or pricing.

Also, he jokes around a lot and he is clearly fed up of being asked about the dlc pricing, etc. It's not his department.

Watch his GB interview from a few days ago, that was brilliant.

Stackboy

I currently use getflix, but with things like ISP filters and data harvesting I'm moving to a VPN. Just need to find one I like.

What is the Getflix VPN like? That would be an easy solution just I'm unclear on what things like their privacy policies are like.

Getflix VPN works great for me.

I might just wait until launch and see how much content there is. Still pretty convinced to buy it, I play a few hours of Destiny every week. Just do the Weeklies and PoE.

Huh, had no idea he was actually a designer on the game, assumed he was still doing PR/community stuff there. He's the lead for the raids which is odd since it's probably the most praised and universally loved content! I gotta have a little more respect for him due to that. Finishing the raid was definitely the best moment in Destiny for me and something I'll probably remember for a long time.

Gra33y and dishwasherlover were back playing Destiny a few days ago, if you guys are coming back we can get a raid or two going.

I might actually be up for a bit more Destiny! Had the itch to play some the other day. Would be a nice break from Witcher.

It's super easy to setup, they also say they keep zero details of your activity through the VPN but I have no idea how to actually double check that. Pretty sure there are websites that will try and ping you through the VPN to make sure you are leaking a data trail somewhere.

Shaneus

Getflix VPN runs like shit though. Although I think that's the case for all VPNs... I'm yet to find one, paid or otherwise, that will net me much more than ~50KB/s downloads.

senahorse

Getflix VPN runs like shit though. Although I think that's the case for all VPNs... I'm yet to find one, paid or otherwise, that will net me much more than ~50KB/s downloads.

Good luck finding a VPN with fast speeds. The fastest I have come across was one of the servers on TorGuard and that maxed out at about 12mbps, less than 10% of my typical speeds.

Yeah, that's the thing. I haven't found anything concrete on their data retention and privacy policies. The company is based in Turkey, and I'm not sure what their laws are like either.

Yes, Getflix VPN works, but there's not a lot of evidence (that I've found, at least) that it's a very good option if you're looking to stay off the government's radar.

Edit: They do say they don't log, but there's no other clarifications on things like customer data and what happens when authorities request it. They talk about "an automated system" to detect abuse, which in my mind would need something logged, so... yeah.

MoonGred

It's been a hectic 2 weeks, but we just heard back from our broker and we're told that our mortgage is approved, we're actually at about half of our max which provides some comfort seeing as both the missus and myself are freaking out about how much interest you're actually paying off.
Will probably sign on Saturday and house will be built somewhere around july.

Anyone have some tips what to look out for when you're building or things you'd do differently if would build again?

At the moment I'm more or less at a loss in regards to cooling, the house comes with an evaporative cooling system, I've only used it once and it was a 40 degree day, while it made the house bearable it wasn't aircon cool.
The biggest issue with aircon would be the electricity costs.

It's been a hectic 2 weeks, but we just heard back from our broker and we're told that our mortgage is approved, we're actually at about half of our max which provides some comfort seeing as both the missus and myself are freaking out about how much interest you're actually paying off.

Anyone have some tips what to look out for when you're building or things you'd do differently if would build again?

At the moment I'm more or less at a loss in regards to cooling, the house comes with an evaporative cooling system, I've only used it once and it was a 40 degree day, while it made the house bearable it wasn't aircon cool.

WALL OF TEXT STOP BROUGHT TO YOU BY BUNNINGS STOP AND IKEA STOP SOON TO BE YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME STOP CONGRATULATIONS STOP

Land- get a soil test and make your contract to buy the language subject to soil test being a certain level. Some mass-market builders won't build on some types of land, and those that do will charge more to build the house (ie the more reactive the clay, they'll need an engineer to design the slab, etc). Also check and see where the sewers/ water lines are since they may impede where you can site the house on your land (ie they can't be built over)

Builders- low cost builders especially. I was told to avoid mass-market builders like Dixons, and that the premium for others like AV Jennings wasn't worth it.

Often, unless you have a turnkey deal, you're getting a house with doors and windows, no landscaping (driveway, grass, cement paths, letterbox, etc) and tiles to the wet areas only (laundry, bathrooms and kitchen, everything else is cement). Lights will be basic fittings and you'll you need to get an electrician in later to put in nicer fittings. You will get a basic stove top and wall oven (mine was tiny with no grill). Also Blanco are shit.
The bricks and rooftiles will be from a basic selection (nothing really wrong with the quality). Anything else you get the building company to do has a builder's margin which is usually a lot more than getting the same work done by a sub contractor.

I found a mid range builder in Brisbane who reconfigured one of their designs to fit on my weirdly shaped block and gave me all tiles and decent carpet and lots of downlights, plus they installed the extractors in the bathrooms that I bought from Bunnings. Later on we bought light fittings from Ikea and Beacon Lighting and got an electrician to install them. We also got ducted AC installed just before we moved in and managed to get a guy swapping out a panel in our garage door to install the garage door motor for $80. Then got Security screens (we went with Crimsafe) and Plantation shutters because my ex insisted on making us poor and blaming me for it. oh well.

-you generally get to tell the builder where you want the light fittings, power sockets, phone sockets, aerial sockets, etc before you sign your contract so think about where everything is going to go and if you need extras, do it at this stage. if you want to get your own oven and stove, do that here and have measurements for any appliances. Also think about any large furniture. The house I had ended up with very few blank walls that we could put certain large shelving and expensive units we already had.

-If you are sensitive to noise, get quotes for double glazing installed during building.

-to keep the AC bills down, get solar- it costs next to nothing these days. Ducted AC is expensive to run and usually requires 3 phase power so consider multiple split systems.

Important tip- If you decide to organise all the stuff the builder charges too much for (like carpets, AC, screens, landscaping, lighting), you can get quotes for that work before you start building, and get that money as part of the mortgage (assuming you haven't stretched yourself beyond breaking point)

also- brokers are generally shit. I had gotten a mortgage through Aussie home loans mortgage brokers and they hooked me up with Colonial. The builders and broker both said, "you don't have to worry about anything, we'll deal with it." And then the calls from both started because they wouldn't actually talk to each other.
The original load was weird since it was one loan that was interest only to pay for the land (I bought it off someone else, rather than the builder or developer) and another loan for the house portion and proper repayments didn't start till the house was handed over.
Colonial turns out are owned by the Commonwealth Bank but has no shopfront presence. So anything you needed to do with the mortgage is done over the phone with someone overseas. We needed to refinance to pay for the other stuff and we ended up going with a bank we did normal banking with (a credit union) and that was far better to deal with.

It wasn't too stressful but occasionally stressful. It also took about a year from when I put down the deposit on the land to getting designs approved and building completed. That was with maybe only a few weeks lost to broker-builder bullshit so don't be in a rush to move in.

what I wrote above is a jumble and a mess. I may edit for clarity if I have time, but ask questions if you like,

Another 20% eBay deal is coming up this weekend!

Split systems are godly. Shop around and you can get a great deal.

Check with the council on any possible issues with the land in terms of building extra shit (eg. type of fence you can build due to possible flood plains).

Double/triple glazing seems like a good idea at the build level.

If you end up hating the paint you can always redo it yourself as it's not actually that hard.

Think about whether or not you want a security/flywire door on any entrance to the house.

Solar for the win.

More powerpoints! More data points! More audio points!

MoonGred

WALL OF TEXT STOP BROUGHT TO YOU BY BUNNINGS STOP AND IKEA STOP SOON TO BE YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME STOP CONGRATULATIONS STOP

Split systems are godly. Shop around and you can get a great deal.

Solar for the win.

More powerpoints! More data points! More audio points!

Thanks guys, I should have clarified that we're buying a house and land package (turnkey). We went through the entire list of options and pretty much have our dream house on a nice piece of land which looks out on a golf course, so noise won't be too much of an issue.
We're pretty much set to go, the only thing we want written confirmation on is whether the removal of rocks from the lot is included, they said numerous times it is, but we just want it in writing for peace of mind.

I was thinking about double glazed windows but figured it was really expensive in Australia, regardless I'll check with them as it will greatly improve the isolation of the house.

Solar panels are definitely on the cards, but will most likely be after a year orso, even though we have a fair bit of room on our mortgage we'd still like to keep it as low as possible.

They gave us a quote of $1400 for a 3 point alarm system, which was followed up by a comment along the lines of "our alarm went of last week for 30 minutes and nobody bother to come check it out". This made me rethink the use of an alarm. We could get another phone line installed but that would be another $500

Would a split system work with a 4 bedroom house though? The kitchen/ living room/ rumpus room are also one big open area, which looks like a nightmare to cool with a split system. Realistically we could put 2 in though.

I've already asked about extra data and power points. They couldn't give me a quote for data points just yet, but said that power points come down $80 a piece. The master bedroom has a couple, but the 3 others only have one double one, ideally I'd like another set in each bedroom, and probably a couple extra in the living room and kitchen. And of course a data point in every room.

There are some texture problems on PC and for some reason it looks kinda blurry.

I'm downsampling and not having texture issues on my end, looks pretty great. The real problem is the framerate tho.

MoonGred

You're using your 980ti aren't you? I have to turn everything off/low to get the framerate to high 40s. That said I'm playing at 1440p, but still.

I didn't even bother to lift the 30fps cap. I'm downsampling from 1440p with everything on max.

The game is struggling with stuttering, hitching etc regardless of how powerful your PC is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom