• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
how the fuck do you find out if someone has a boyfiend without asking
Don't be this guy.

also, Toon Link get! the local Big W had many older Amiibo back in stock so finally got to get this last holdover. I also picked up the Yoshi Bundle so now I have a green Yoshi and a game I won't play for ages since I'm already playing a platformer
Super Batmobile Bros

Shaneus

Don't be this guy.
I get that reference! Shame the movie wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, and it was totally not a role for Chris Pratt. He was much better in GotG.

Qld has plenty of roundabouts, you are saying there are states in Australia that don't?
I can see one from my NSW desk right now.
Yeah, maybe I was confused with the US. I was sure somewhere in Australia didn't have them, but... eh, I have no excuses.

I get that reference! Shame the movie wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, and it was totally not a role for Chris Pratt. He was much better in GotG.

Yeah, maybe I was confused with the US. I was sure somewhere in Australia didn't have them, but... eh, I have no excuses.

they have them in the US, too. Sorry to burst your bubble. They just tend to be in more recently built areas, same as in Australia.

Darren870

they have them in the US, too. Sorry to burst your bubble. They just tend to be in more recently built areas, same as in Australia.

I think I saw my first round about at 20 somewhere in rural Massachusetts. I had no idea what the thing was and was confused as fuck to what I was supposed to do. I never saw them anywhere else in the US my whole life.

They were everywhere in England and Ireland though. Hated renting a car when I lived in the UK because of the f'n roundabouts.

Now thought I am used to them. Like second nature and very nice for the flow of traffic. Except sometimes Victoria likes to throw a tram through the middle of them which is just a recipe for disaster. So god damn annoying.

I've been hanging with Google Music after the Grooveshark fiasco. Apple music may very well get me instead though, after all I have enough of Apple's devices already.

Dryk

But not all states have roundabouts. Not everywhere is as awesome as Victoria.
dequetteville%20group%20%280%29.jpg

Half of this monster has to be unbolted every year because it's part of a racetrack

hidys

I was really hoping that Apple Music would have a better library than Spotify.

But it's actually worse.

At least The Age of Adz is there.

Deeku

I was really hoping that Apple Music would have a better library than Spotify.

But it's actually worse.

At least The Age of Adz is there.
It's been hit n miss for me, guess it depends on what you listen to. So far I love the integration with itunes, but they've certainly got some improving to do re sorting/playlists/ui to make me fully get off spotify

senahorse

So what's so good about Apple Music? Why would I want to cancel Spotify and move to it? How much does it cost in Australia? Sell me AusGaf.

Quasar

It's been hit n miss for me, guess it depends on what you listen to. So far I love the integration with itunes, but they've certainly got some improving to do re sorting/playlists/ui to make me fully get off spotify

Hit and Miss would describe it.

The music match thing is still broken (with it matching some tracks of mine iTunes does not have with things that aren't the original track). The recommendations work surprisingly well for how little it knows. The genre categories suck as usual. And I find some things like playlists buried deeper than I'm used to with other services.

All in all at this point I'd say there isn't a whole lot pushing me to pay when the free period ends. But it is 1.0 so hopefully it will improve.

hidys

It seems we are still victims of region locking as there are tracks missing for Kanye West and John Coltrane. I suspect the US store would also have the of the albums by Aphex Twin and Pink Floyd which aren't there on ours.

But the integration with iTunes is nice.

Deeku

It seems we are still victims of region locking as there are tracks missing for Kanye West and John Coltrane. I suspect the US store would also have the of the albums by Aphex Twin and Pink Floyd which aren't there on ours.

But the integration with iTunes is nice.
Didn't think of that! That really fucking sucks! I'm actually living in Hong Kong atm so I'm using an HK apple id for the service. I assume I'm seeing US stuff plus all the asian-pop varieties (which spotify kinda lacked, especially in the J-pop department). But yea, all the Aphex Twin and Pink Floyd stuff is here. I'd at least hope AU has the same curator playlists, e.g. the official Pitchfork list lol.

Quasar

Didn't think of that! That really fucking sucks! I'm actually living in Hong Kong atm so I'm using an HK apple id for the service. I assume I'm seeing US stuff plus all the asian-pop varieties (which spotify kinda lacked, especially in the J-pop department). But yea, all the Aphex Twin and Pink Floyd stuff is here. I'd at least hope AU has the same curator playlists, e.g. the official Pitchfork list lol.

Whilst I could not even select J-Pop as a genre in the setup. Or SKA for that matter. iTunes genre classifications such. So very broad to be pointless.

I do wonder if its going to stay so US/UK centric. Like is Apple Australia going to get local playlists made even?

So basically, if it's not on the iTunes store in the region you're using, it probably won't be available to stream. Gotcha. I'll use the us store for the trial but I still prefer to buy stuff.

Also, since its a new store, smaller distributors are telling artists their stuff may take a week or two to show up.

hidys

Just checked the Pink Floyd stuff (Meddle) and it appears to be there. I must have failed to scroll down after Piper or it wasn't there before, but that raises the problem of how UI is layed out. Seriously they need to make sure the albums are in chronological order and move the singles to a seperate category.

Still no Richard D. James album or Drukqs which is a disappointment.

Christ the more I look the more I find that's missing. I can officially say I will not be switching from Spotify until they fill the gaps in their library.

I just got yoshi's woolly world and batman but my uncle is staying in our living room for a few weeks so I can't use the tv ;.; Thank god for the Wiiu remote I guess, but all my PS4 games are just sitting around getting dusty.

In other news, this gay marriage stuff in the US has brought all of the anti-gay marriage people out of the woodwork. It's really sad to see, especially since one friend of mine was so incredibly kind to me for years and then just posted the most vile stuff (anyone who supports gay people will go to hell, it's against history, nature etc) and when I tried to talk to her about it in the gentlest way possible she just ignored me and complained publicly that she was being persecuted for being straight. I didn't realise people like this existed in Australia, especially not young people. Honestly I'm just very shocked and upset.

Jintor

i'm pretty glad the only stuff on my facebook feed about it is a few christians sharing some articles around and some minor comments 'great read', but the articles mainly seem to be about how it's still a christian sin blah blah blah.

hey, it can be a christian sin all you want, but if you try and affect policy with it you can stfu.

Darren870

I just got yoshi's woolly world and batman but my uncle is staying in our living room for a few weeks so I can't use the tv ;.; Thank god for the Wiiu remote I guess, but all my PS4 games are just sitting around getting dusty.

In other news, this gay marriage stuff in the US has brought all of the anti-gay marriage people out of the woodwork. It's really sad to see, especially since one friend of mine was so incredibly kind to me for years and then just posted the most vile stuff (anyone who supports gay people will go to hell, it's against history, nature etc) and when I tried to talk to her about it in the gentlest way possible she just ignored me and complained publicly that she was being persecuted for being straight. I didn't realise people like this existed in Australia, especially not young people. Honestly I'm just very shocked and upset.

Those people aren't friends. I would defriend anyone instantly if I saw that crap.

Oddly, I actually didn't see anything like that on my Facebook feed. I guess I choose my friends well.

Deeku

Yeah, my colleague/friend (mid 20s, ivy league education) is a serious serious Christian. I knew he wouldn't be thrilled about it (we often discuss our views on religion), but I thought I'd be funny and go "yo how bout that gay marriage, yay progress right" and he kinda just got upset and talked to me semi seriously about how it's not progress, it's wrong, nothing to do with equality etc etc....:/ Like, I knew that would happen, but I still wanted to prod him about it lol. I guess the good thing is that he's very aware of both sides and tries to keep his beliefs to himself - which I can respect.

Dryk

I've been hearing this from a few people (I haven't seen it). It baffles me that people can convince themselves that it's their straightness that's getting them hate.

Yup

CIyo_0QUcAAtah4.jpg:large

$55 amiibo right here :/
The game's good :\

I've been hearing this from a few people (I haven't seen it). It baffles me that people can convince themselves that it's their straightness that's getting them hate.

The game's good :
Yeah, same here. And as it's usually accompanied by "straight pride" I get the feeling that they have also completely misunderstood the meaning of gay pride as well:/

Those people aren't friends. I would defriend anyone instantly if I saw that crap.

Oddly, I actually didn't see anything like that on my Facebook feed. I guess I choose my friends well.
Mmm, of the young non-family friend/family people i have on fb she was the only one. I hadn't spoken to her in a while but in high school she was very kind hearted when I was new and had no friends. I guess this is what a few years of interacting with no one outside her church group has wrought. Kinda hard to let go but as you say I'm not sure I can be friends with someone who feels that way and is so unwilling to listen.

hamchan

man apple music seems pretty legit, totally on board!

I'm really liking it. As someone who is fine with most genres of music, the recommendations they've been giving me are on point.

Whilst I could not even select J-Pop as a genre in the setup. Or SKA for that matter. iTunes genre classifications such. So very broad to be pointless.

I do wonder if its going to stay so US/UK centric. Like is Apple Australia going to get local playlists made even?

You have to manually search for J-Pop, K-Pop and Mandopop curators and then follow them. Don't know why they keep the genres on the main page so broad, they could fit way more in if they wanted to since they've already sorted them. Either way it's not a huge amount of Asian music but it is better than Spotify which had near zero.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Is Nes in stock anywhere? He's one of the last ones I really want.
And because of Mega I now also want megaman..

i've got a spare Ness if you want it? $15? or happy to trade for something :D

dont worry MD, this is my desk at work.
9LFtIOI.jpg

there was also a robin and lucina there until yesterday. taking home a few at a time

Your tweet was the reason I went hunting for one rep. :p they had the blue green and another colour at Kmart south morang. $24 ea
Nice, our one still has a few yarn yoshis and like 7 of the bundles.

In good news you'll get to see her spaz out again on Facebook since gay marriage is the first thing up to be brought up when the politicians are back next month! It's going to happen, it's just how much kicking and screaming by Abbott is required before he will step aside without losing too much face to the ACL.

Also tell your uncle to get a damn job !

Yeah I cleaned everyone out after the tsunami in Japan. Although I rarely even check the damn thing aside from messages.

I always end up having to pay extra tax. Lame.
I always get some back since we get taxed at 20% which is nice. Means I don't have to worry in the end.

Yeah, same here. And as it's usually accompanied by "straight pride" I get the feeling that they have also completely misunderstood the meaning of gay pride as well:/
"straight pride" is code for "straight privilege", they don't want to give up their advantages over others. It's 100% selfishness.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I always end up having to pay extra tax. Lame.

I'm in Taiwan this week and I just did my tax.

I'm getting a refund of AU$2000. Way more than I expected (I was hopeful of getting at least AU$1250). I'll be able to pick up my refund check at the end of the year, and I'll keep the money for building a new PC.

MoonGred

Why is poor pacman on his head?

Holy what is that thing on the right? I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm looking at.

In other news, I just paid the deposit for the land we bought. Parting with a sum of money of this size has left me feeling weird.

Quasar

You have to manually search for J-Pop, K-Pop and Mandopop curators and then follow them. Don't know why they keep the genres on the main page so broad, they could fit way more in if they wanted to since they've already sorted them. Either way it's not a huge amount of Asian music but it is better than Spotify which had near zero.

Which is why a music locker function is a requirement for me and why I still buy music on cd. That way I can add all the jpop I want.

Of course spending tne afternoon banging my head against iTunes' upload to icloud function, ended with me turning that off. So sad apples matching is such a disaster compared to Googles 'it just works' locker, especially given how much I enjoyed apples curation which Google Music almost totally lacks.

Darren870

I love living in Brunswick. While it's a bit trendy it still has that old feel about it. You can still get amazing deals here from the Italians, Greeks and Lebanese on fresh food, coffee and produce.

I find myself going out to drinks more in Fitzroy as it has better bars and pubs, but I hate the crowd that hangs around there and how it looks during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom