• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Pretty much, basically any ISP has terms that their unlimited plans are in fact with limits or conditions. The difference is I haven't seen iiNet disconnecting customers completely to enforce those conditions. Usually ISPs switch a heavy usage customer plan around and play a numbers game where some customers lose money but the majority make them money and the net effect is they profit. Exetel have done these sorts of mass disconnections a few times in recent years and simply say nah we don't want such customers at all. Other ISPs have done but it's not common practice and usually not so severe or on so many customer accounts.

Sure you get the odd leech who just chews through bandwidth but 600 of them at once? Yikes.

iiNet also upgraded, and had network equipment ready to upgrade, when Netflix dropped and their throughput wasn't up to the demand from offering free Netflix traffic. Again Exetel just don't have the network or support for such demand but it all comes down to the saturation at your local exchange anyhow.

IMO without NBN being available in your area the best service IMO, if your exchange isn't congested, is Telstra Cable 3.0/3.1. After that I'd go with iiNet ADSL2+.

Use a billion modem on ADSL2/+ where possible too and do some basic config as well as contact the ISP during setup to get as much bang for your buck as you can.
Nope. iiNet can go suck a bag of dicks after buying Adam Internet they moved all the customer service offshore and changed the fees and terms. They want me to pay the call out fee to get the line checked if there is no problem with the line when that is the next step in their process for figuring out my shit speeds. Fuck em. If my line speeds are shit, and disconnecting all the time, I've done everything you ask except try another modem (because everyone has a spare modem lying around, right?), and they want to slug me the Telstra fee if there is no line problem, that's fucked up. Had a similar issue last year, Adam didn't do any of that, just called out the tech to check the line, no bullshit with the fee.

I use dodo. Besides dealing with the hurdle of getting everything set up I can't complain. Its cheaper and unlimited. I've never had an issue with it in the 6 months I've had it. Can't really complain when its the fastest I'll get being on on ADSL2+. I don't see how iinet or tpg would have been any faster as it all has to go to the telstra exchange.

They say customer service sucks. But maybe I am just used to dealing with outsourced call centers... Didn't really bother me too much and I've been able to get free months from them for using them for my gas & electric.

Probably have a coupon/referral code if you are interested.

Yeah I've been with Dodo for a few years now, cheap as fuck and the same speeds I was getting on iiNet for much cheaper. Can't complain.

Nope. iiNet can go suck a bag of dicks after buying Adam Internet they moved all the customer service offshore and changed the fees and terms. They want me to pay the call out fee to get the line checked if there is no problem with the line when that is the next step in their process for figuring out my shit speeds. Fuck em. If my line speeds are shit, and disconnecting all the time, I've done everything you ask except try another modem (because everyone has a spare modem lying around, right?), and they want to slug me the Telstra fee if there is no line problem, that's fucked up. Had a similar issue last year, Adam didn't do any of that, just called out the tech to check the line, no bullshit with the fee.

I had that same call out fee forced on to me twice. The local Telstra tech at the end of our street has performed work in the rain and without a temp cover setup. Both times within the same 12 months it resulted in shitting up line quality and dropouts or no dial tone on that line for me. I moved away from copper and over to cable after all that hence my move from iiNet to Telstra cable.

I have to agree in recent years about iiNet, it's just what occurs when you become one of the corporate big dogs. I ditched iiNet ADSL2+ in favour of Telstra Cable DOCSIS 3.1 myself. You just have to shop around. If you BYOM (bring your own modem) usually you can test them for a month before signing any contracts or bundles. It's a hassle to transfer but sorts out the best connection for your specific address.

MoonGred

Quit my job of 4 years today. Feels weird, good, but weird.

No idea what I will do next. Taking a break now, might travel a bit....who knows.

Good on you. You should travel across Europe for a while. A lot of Aussies I know have done it as well and had a blast.

I'd do the same if I had the balls for it

Better not waste it on destiny raiding!

Good on you. You should travel across Europe for a while. A lot of Aussies I know have done it as well and had a blast.

I'd do the same if I had the balls for it

Better not waste it on destiny raiding!

Thinking of going to gamescomm in Germany in aug, have a bunch of friends across EU.

MoonGred

You should head down to the south of France, it's one of the most peaceful areas in my opinion. The weather in summer is great, people are lovely and the food is simply amazing.
Toulouse would actually be a really good starting point, the city is full of culture and small bars that have cheap drink prices. The only downside is that bars close really early.
They also have those bike rental places like we do in Melb which is an amazing way to explore the city.

From Toulouse you could work your way down to Carcasonne & Perpignan stopping at small towns on the way.
It won't take you long at all but is definitely worth it.

A lot of people seem to completely miss out on that part of France which is a real shame, as that's what the country is all about to me. That said this is all anecdotal.

You should also book at least 2-3 days in Belgium to spend some time in Antwerp, Leuven and Bruges. But then again I'm biased haha.

You should head down to the south of France, it's one of the most peaceful areas in my opinion. The weather in summer is great, people are lovely and the food is simply amazing.
Toulouse would actually be a really good starting point, the city is full of culture and small bars that have cheap drink prices. The only downside is that bars close really early.
They also have those bike rental places like we do in Melb which is an amazing way to explore the city.

From Toulouse you could work your way down to Carcasonne & Perpignan stopping at small towns on the way.
It won't take you long at all but is definitely worth it.

A lot of people seem to completely miss out on that part of France which is a real shame, as that's what the country is all about to me. That said this is all anecdotal.

You should also book at least 2-3 days in Belgium to spend some time in Antwerp, Leuven and Bruges. But then again I'm biased haha.

Sounds a plan. Make your mind up soon. August in Europe is nuts since everyone's on holiday then.

Also, do it while the dollar still has decent spending power.

Thanks guys, looking at flights now and they are quite expensive already..

Darren870

Thanks guys, looking at flights now and they are quite expensive already..

If you need help looking for flights let me know. I can usually find a pretty good deal if you are flexible.

What prices are you seeing?
Where you looking to go into? Fly out of?
Do you have any airline miles?

Don't worry my fees are cheap!
I kid, I kid!

France and Germany are also pretty expensive compared to some of their neighbours. Spain will get you more for your money, if that's a concern.

If you need help looking for flights let me know. I can usually find a pretty good deal if you are flexible.

What prices are you seeing?
Where you looking to go into? Fly out of?
Do you have any airline miles?

Don't worry my fees are cheap!
I kid, I kid!

Thanks cod and Darren.

Cheapest was $1350 to London which is not bad at all, I've never been consistent with a specific airline so no miles. Flights to Amsterdam, Berlin etc were mostly $1700+.

My main interests are Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria. London only because I have some friends there, otherwise not really interested in going to UK, not this trip at least. France and Spain are not priority, and don't want to travel alone in any case.

i decided to change my wifi password on my home network.
I have so far had to change passwords on 10 devices I currently use. I live alone.

Darren870

Last week of July / 1st week of Aug for 3 weeks maybe, depending on where all I can go.

I can go early too, Gamescomm in Cologne is from 6-9 aug so was looking to attend that.

Okay, I think I got something. Not 100% happy with the price, but I think its the best I can get without mucking around too much. Also cheaper then your London flight :)

$1262 - $1269 and it puts you in the region you want to go to. You start in Frankfurt and you leave from Amsterdam. Or you can start in Vienna and leave from Amsterdam.

Basically its two transactions. The first is a flight to Bangkok. The second is into Europe and return to Melbourne. There are layovers obviously, but its not really that bad.

1st Transaction:
Jetstar - $308 - 28/7 - MEL -> BKK (jetstar)
Arrive 21:05

2nd Transaction:
Etihad - $961 - 29/7 - BKK -> FRA (kayak)
19/08 - AMS -> MEL

29/07:
Depart 02:50 (no reason to leave the airport)
2.5hr Layover in Abu Dhabi

19/08:
Depart 22:00
~4 hr layover in Abu Dhabi
Arrive: 06:05

--or--

Etihad - $954 - 29/7 - BKK -> VIE (kayak)
19/08 - AMS -> MEL

29/07:
3 hr layover in Dusseldorf

19/08:

All you would need to do is pay a baggage fee for the jetstar flight to Bangkok and then however you get to AMS in the end.

If you decide to change the fly into city it goes up in price. Frankfurt and Vienna are the best. Flying out city does the same but even more.

Edit: You can go to Jetstar directly to book the first flight. Then just go to kayak.com.au to book the second. Just select multi city and put in the info I said. You can play around with the dates a bit, but not much. I'd also probably book sooner then later if you are serious about it.

N0VAM0D

Nooo, not my spearmint leaves...why didn't I buy some more often to keep them afloat? The knock off versions are never the same.

Spearmint Leaves are the best. Sad to see them go.

RIP Green Frogs and Spearmint Leaves.

Wait what? Noooo, I love Spearmint Leaves!

I haven't had one for years but holy shit, they were a big part of many Australian's childhoods.

I'm so glad I have people to mourn with :c

Mint leaves were the black jellybeans of the bag of mixed lollies. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Hey now, black jellybeans are the GOAT.

Okay, I think I got something. Not 100% happy with the price, but I think its the best I can get without mucking around too much. Also cheaper then your London flight :)

$1262 - $1269 and it puts you in the region you want to go to. You start in Frankfurt and you leave from Amsterdam. Or you can start in Vienna and leave from Amsterdam.

Basically its two transactions. The first is a flight to Bangkok. The second is into Europe and return to Melbourne. There are layovers obviously, but its not really that bad.

1st Transaction:
Jetstar - $308 - 28/7 - MEL -> BKK (jetstar)
Arrive 21:05

2nd Transaction:
Etihad - $961 - 29/7 - BKK -> FRA (kayak)
19/08 - AMS -> MEL

29/07:

19/08:

--or--

Etihad - $954 - 29/7 - BKK -> VIE (kayak)
19/08 - AMS -> MEL

29/07:
3 hr layover in Dusseldorf

19/08:

All you would need to do is pay a baggage fee for the jetstar flight to Bangkok and then however you get to AMS in the end.

If you decide to change the fly into city it goes up in price. Frankfurt and Vienna are the best. Flying out city does the same but even more.

Edit: You can go to Jetstar directly to book the first flight. Then just go to kayak.com.au to book the second. Just select multi city and put in the info I said. You can play around with the dates a bit, but not much. I'd also probably book sooner then later if you are serious about it.

Hey thanks Darren, this helps a lot. I'll check with my friends in Germany and London and coordinate the dates.

What site do you use for flights?

Darren870

Hey thanks Darren, this helps a lot. I'll check with my friends in Germany and London and coordinate the dates.

What site do you use for flights?

I didn't put London because I thought you didn't want to go there :p.

Again add money. But if you are going to go to London I suggest flying into there and not out of there.

I use a few sites but mostly kayak.com.au. Sometimes I use google.com/flights but it really is US centric. Its gotten much better over the years from when it was ITA (pre-google) but often didn't have a lot of Europe airports or budget carriers.

There might be some better ones out there, but I find Kayak is still one of the best after all these years. I use it as a base though and then kinda expand from there. When I do bookings I often book through the actual carrier (better for you and them) unless the savings are much better through another website.

Once I have a starting location and a general idea of what I (or someone) wants to do then its just looking at prices. When you have no set itinerary or travel dates it becomes much easier (obviously).

You want to aim to depart from a country with a low GDP. It makes the airline prices cheaper. You also want to aim for a country with little to no departure tax. There are only a few but the savings are glorious. Hence why I have you flying out of AMS. If you were doing just the UK I would put you out of Dublin.

When I lived in London I used to fly home to New York all the time via Dublin, never via London. The savings were enough to give me a long weekend in Dublin.

Then I'll usually plug in the start and end destinations and see where the layover is. So for yours I did Melbourne to Frankfurt. Saw there were layovers in Bangkok, Tokyo, Singapore and Abu Dhabi. Thailand has the lowest GDP of them all so its a good actual starting location. Plus I knew there was budget airlines that fly there. So transaction '#2' is all one carrier, which makes it cheaper since its like a return flight.

If you were just going to do MEL -> VIE, AMS -> MEL it would have been $1538. So yea about $300 more for you to spend on booze!

So yea, those are my tricks. There is a few more but some aren't as useful and others are obvious. Like flying mid week rather then weekend. Sometimes even booking in a foreign currency helps!

Edit: Sometimes I have coupon codes or referral links too which is nice. Or the miles is always a help. I didn't look for referral links but if you decide to actually book then let me know I can check (just send me a PM or something). If there are two things I hate to pay when traveling its airfare and accommodation :). The cheaper the better!

Edit 2: If you do want to go to London, fly into Frankfurt (or Vienna) and fly out of Dublin. You can get it for $704 for the second Part. So about $1012 all up. You ain't going to get better then that!! You just have to deal with the internal stuff on your own and what you actually want to do in Europe. If I was heading to London then the $200 savings to fly out of Dublin rather then AMS would be worth it. Since its summer there the internal travel might be more expensive.

MoonGred

Don't know why but Batman Ak doesn't want to play nice today. Game was stuttering like mad. Even had a new bug where I got hit by a car which then killed all the in game audio until I restarted the game.
Hopefully it'll be patched soon because it's actually kinda fun.

Still it doesn't beat Batman AA. I never really understood why the game went to an open world setting. For as much as I loved AA I just couldn't get into AC, too many distractions and the world felt kinda empty.
One of these days I might play Origin although that's the one that everyone seems to hate.

how the fuck do you find out if someone has a boyfiend without asking
You could just make light of your singlehood (third wheel joke or something) then see how they respond. If they're single, they'll share a joke of their own, but if they're attached, it's the perfect opportunity to name drop their partner's name.

Mind you, the tactics change as you get older. The last time anyone inquired without asking about my relationship status, they asked if I had kids! I responded by subtly putting my left hand on the table and playing with my wedding ring as I answered.

Dryk

Facebook stalk them.
LinkedIn stalk them.
Twitter stalk them.
Instagram stalk them.
Google stalk them.

Ask a mutual friend in a roundabout way
Though remember that LinkedIn by default tells people when you view their profile and turn that off before you do

QSVPIID.jpg

It's a bloody outrage it is!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Facebook stalk them.
LinkedIn stalk them.
Twitter stalk them.
Instagram stalk them.
Google stalk them.

That's how I roll. Works 100% of the time.

You can always ask actual questions that relate to what they are doing, how they spend their time, what their plans are. Most people will drop that they are banging someone by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom