• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

There was a pack of young guys debating the time travel stuff in the parking lot after the movie, it wasn't doing them any good.

Arnie is great though!

They fucked up a lot of the plot with the end of T3 so don't even worry about the clusterfuck plot that is the new one, just enjoy it as a Baybuster.

Also we should totally get some games of Rocket League going at some point this month!

Just got our permanent residency through!!! You aren't getting rid of us!!! Absolutely fucking stoked!!!!!!! Now..... to the beer fridge!

bd95d00ca94e6d682e68e3331410cf75.gif

Congrats, the first rule of being a resident is having that beer fridge stocked, always and with more than one type of beer. Rule two is own a BBQ and use it, even when it rains or is cold. Rule 1 & 2 always go hand in hand. No vegan BS, no non-alcoholic BS.

Wait these had to be questions correctly answered to get residency status, right?

:)

Congrats, the first rule of being a resident is having that beer fridge stocked, always and with more than one type of beer. Rule two is own a BBQ and use it, even when it rains or is cold. Rule 1 & 2 always go hand in hand. No vegan BS, no non-alcoholic BS.

Wait these had to be questions correctly answered to get residency status, right?

:)

I'm hoping they come up on the citizenship exam, along with "Cricket, what the fuck is that all about?" (fortunately I'm from Yorkshire originally so have beer and cricket covered). As for the BBQ, a mouse ran out of it last time I opened it.... May need a new one.

I'm hoping they come up on the citizenship exam, along with "Cricket, what the fuck is that all about?" (fortunately I'm from Yorkshire originally so have beer and cricket covered). As for the BBQ, a mouse ran out of it last time I opened it.... May need a new one.

Residency status = Suspended and on probation. At least you're acclimatised for the BBQs in the cold and rain already.

Welcome to the land down under
You've probably been here for ages already mate

Residency status = Suspended and on probation. At least you're acclimatised for the BBQs in the cold and rain already.

Welcome to the land down under
You've probably been here for ages already mate

Yeah been here nearly 4 years, I was just panicking as our Visa would have run out next month and they were taking ages to grant the PR, as for the BBQ it's a dodgy Aldi one. I've let it get into a state of disrepair so the wife gives up and lets me buy a Weber.

Are games from JB online always the Australian SKU's? I don't like having imported copies when I can avoid it.
Just noticed that a lot of their PS3 stuff is really cheap now, I guess the PS4 has gone and killed it.

Wanna grab Puppeteer ($19), Sly 4 ($19), Asura's Wrath ($15) and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax ($29).

legend166

Can someone explain why the heck I have to pay like 70% of my interest in tax?

It's not pushing me into a new bracket or anything. I don't get it at all.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
If I were to leave money in my Australian savings account after I leave Australia, how would the interest be taxed? Would it be the same 32.5% deal?

I saw Terminator: Genisys last night. Was actually pretty good fun! Just ignore all the timey wimey stuff.

Yup, same. Enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Definitely worth a watch. This is what T3 should have been.

Just got our permanent residency through!!! You aren't getting rid of us!!! Absolutely fucking stoked!!!!!!! Now..... to the beer fridge!

Congrats, Abbot can still get rid of you so don't do any funny stuff overseas :p

Deeku

If I were to leave money in my Australian savings account after I leave Australia, how would the interest be taxed? Would it be the same 32.5% deal?
em, what i did was tell my bank that i'm no longer a resident for tax purposes. so the interest i get now is net of tax - i think it's 10% off the gross

legend166

As far as I know, interest is just income and gets taxed by income tax. 47% is the most you'd pay.

That's what I thought.

Using fake numbers, it's like when I just put in my regular salary, my tax payable is $10,000. Then I add $1000 in interest to my taxable income, and my tax payable becomes $10,700. I'm confused.

Maybe I should go to an accountant.

bd95d00ca94e6d682e68e3331410cf75.gif
Congrats!

Are games from JB online always the Australian SKU's? I don't like having imported copies when I can avoid it.
Just noticed that a lot of their PS3 stuff is really cheap now, I guess the PS4 has gone and killed it.

Wanna grab Puppeteer ($19), Sly 4 ($19), Asura's Wrath ($15) and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax ($29).

Should be AU stock but it could be anything really. Depends on the game, etc.

I saw Terminator: Genisys last night. Was actually pretty good fun! Just ignore all the timey wimey stuff.

Aaah awesome. Despite it being panned I'm really looking forward to it :D

heard Matt Smith was in it. I see what you did there...?

Speaking of films. Jurassic World was fantastic too. So much fun. I forgot how much I loved dinosaurs as a kid.

Bernbaum

The best perk of my expat package to the US is that they'll provide a firm to manage my newly-complicated international tax situation. The firm will sort all the donkey work with my tax commitments to both countries, which is ideal for a lazy cunt like me. Sure, they're likely to act in the best interests of the company and not me the employee, but it's a given they'll do a better job than I could be bothered to:

Rlan

So I've been selling a bunch of stuff on eBay recently. Old games and such.

One of the items I sent off has apparently not been recieved by the buyer. The item did not have any tracking on it. I don't have the reciept. They've opened a request. Based on the their own feedback, looks like they disputed another claim recently as well.

What do I do here?

One of the items I sent off has apparently not been recieved by the buyer. The item did not have any tracking on it. I don't have the reciept. They've opened a request. Based on the their own feedback, looks like they disputed another claim recently as well.

What do I do here?

Nothing, they'll win and you'll lose your money. Welcome to eBay!

:(

N0VAM0D

I love living in Brunswick. While it's a bit trendy it still has that old feel about it. You can still get amazing deals here from the Italians, Greeks and Lebanese on fresh food, coffee and produce.

I find myself going out to drinks more in Fitzroy as it has better bars and pubs, but I hate the crowd that hangs around there and how it looks during the day.

Ahh, you're so lucky! I definitely want to visit that area sometime. I still haven't made a trip to Melbourne, ever. Hoping to change that by the end of this year. With the new full time work I've got, and the whole moving back home thing, I'm sure I'll have more than enough money saved for a nice trip!

Speaking of my new job, I've never felt this great about a job before. It's insane. It's still in hospitality, like everything else I've had, but this place is just wonderful. I feel good. Finally.

HowZatOZ

Banned
All I want to do is get my tax out of the way so I can move house and buy some cool shit. But nope, our government's technical side in the tax office is terrible.

Shaneus

I think I want to treat myself to a RPi 2, apparently a full kit can be had for around $50 via OzBargain. Do I want one, AusGAF? I think for emulation and such it would be pretty freakin' awesome. Might even look into making some kind of a 9-pin adapter so I can play Amiga games (and Sega as well, I guess) with an OG 9-pin joystick.

Anyone have experiences with them?

What do I do here?

Sorry dude :(

Stackboy

I don't believe you.

I'm going to give this one a miss and I'm also having a hard time deciding if I should care about Ant-Man or not.

When I heard Edgar Wright had left Ant Man, I was gutted and didn't think I wanted to see it anymore. But that second trailer convinced me. That and my wife is in love with Paul Rudd.

Any Ausgaf Destiny players want to play a raid tonight or tomorrow night?

I'm around tonight, lets do this!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
When I heard Edgar Wright had left Ant Man, I was gutted and didn't think I wanted to see it anymore. But that second trailer convinced me. That and my wife is in love with Paul Rudd.

I'm around tonight, lets do this!

Yep. that recent TV spot sold me.

+ It's ant man. 2nd only to black panther in the marvel universe list of awesome.

Darren870

The best perk of my expat package to the US is that they'll provide a firm to manage my newly-complicated international tax situation. The firm will sort all the donkey work with my tax commitments to both countries, which is ideal for a lazy cunt like me. Sure, they're likely to act in the best interests of the company and not me the employee, but it's a given they'll do a better job than I could be bothered to:

Should be fairly easy for you. You just need to file in Aus, don't have to claim anything since you aren't a resident for tax purposes.

Its Americans living abroad where it is a pain in the ass. Also if you are getting a green card you are suppose to claim all your world wide income, even if you don't live in the US anymore. More bullshit.

Either way, its nice to have the stress off your shoulders :)

Ahh, you're so lucky! I definitely want to visit that area sometime. I still haven't made a trip to Melbourne, ever. Hoping to change that by the end of this year. With the new full time work I've got, and the whole moving back home thing, I'm sure I'll have more than enough money saved for a nice trip!

Speaking of my new job, I've never felt this great about a job before. It's insane. It's still in hospitality, like everything else I've had, but this place is just wonderful. I feel good. Finally.

Where do you live? Melbourne is a great city. Though I do like the remote Australia towns. Has a real homely/welcoming feel sometimes.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I can now tell i'm getting told.

That UC4 footage .. Graphically great, but what a boring mess everywhere else.

/oldmanrant.

I think I want to treat myself to a RPi 2, apparently a full kit can be had for around $50 via OzBargain. Do I want one, AusGAF? I think for emulation and such it would be pretty freakin' awesome. Might even look into making some kind of a 9-pin adapter so I can play Amiga games (and Sega as well, I guess) with an OG 9-pin joystick.

As in Raspberry Pi? Does this full kit you t*alk of have WiFi? I would love to have one and do away with my vps

The second trailer was definitely an improvement. I'll no doubt go see the movie anyway, just not getting hyped for it.

I use one as an HTPC (OpenElec, which runs Kodi - formerly XBMC). For that purpose the Pi 2 is much faster than the original Pi. Both could play x264 content fine, but the interface was laggy. The Pi 2 is great. No experience with emulation (though have planned on it for a while, just lazy).

As in Raspberry Pi? Does this full kit you t*alk of have WiFi? I would love to have one and do away with my vps
You can get small dongles that work with the Pi for about $10. Just check what you plan on installing first to see if there's also OS level support.

Was thinking of getting a ps4 from big w as they had that $400 deal going. Nope. No stock anywhere and after a few calls to jb etc no one will match it. Oh well.

Darren870

Finally fired up my 360 after sitting in a box for almost two years. Felt good holding a controller again.

Played about 30 mins of Orcs Must Die and renewed my xbox gold account. Was a big day yesterday!

I can now tell i'm getting told.

That UC4 footage .. Graphically great, but what a boring mess everywhere else.

/oldmanrant.

Some people get downright religious about Uncharted. I have only played Uncharted 2 which I thought was a good not great game, but I'm going to go ahead and defend this anyway.

It looks fine to me. It's an action set piece, and at least in the first part you get to choose different paths for your jeep so at least there's some level of choice/interactivity beyond what action set pieces often offer up. Peppering an adventure game with these sorts of sequences is fine, as long as they're not overly frustrating and don't make up the majority of the game / end defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom