• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

yeah except it was boring as shit, so it failed both in being interesting and in drive-shoot

maybe it's just regret on jumping on it the moment it came to pc, but the narrative was somehow the most irritatingly nothing of all the gta's i've played so far where bad things happen to bad people for no discernable reasons and assholes screw each other over constantly but you don't care.

I enjoyed it because of my own experiences in Los Angeles - a place I love/hate. It could have been the same story but set in say, Rockstar's Baltimore or Chicago and I wouldn't have had the patience for the new style of GTA at all.

I'm happy that it went in the other direction to Saints Row. Less overlap in gameplay styles makes for more unique experiences across the two franchises.

Shaneus

I enjoyed it because of my own experiences in Los Angeles - a place I love/hate. It could have been the same story but set in say, Rockstar's Baltimore or Chicago and I wouldn't have had the patience for the new style of GTA at all.

I'm happy that it went in the other direction to Saints Row. Less overlap in gameplay styles makes for more unique experiences across the two franchises.
I'm still quite bummed SR went the way it did. SR2 had such a great B-movie storyline that toed the cheese line perfectly. Shame it's the only game of its kind :/

senahorse

SR2 was a great game when I finally played it on a PC that could hold 60fps...I waited a while. SR3 felt cheap in comparison. Also I loved SR4, it was a great Crackdown fix, I haven't bothered with the expansion game but it doesn't seem to be very good. At this point I don't know how SR can come back from 4 without doing a complete reboot.

Fredescu

I've never enjoyed a GTA. I loved SR3. I loaded up SR2 briefly but got annoyed but it's poor PC integration and gave up. Bit sad I missed the boat on that one since it seems universally praised.

Right now I'm enjoying Lego City Undercover. Thanks Clive for pushing the barrow on that one or I might have given it a miss. My film vocabulary is very poor, so I feel like I'm probably missing a lot of jokes, but the Shawshank Redemption bit was hilarious.

Looking back, I enjoyed SR3, least to be point of finishing it. It has one of my favourite moments in gaming (jumping off heli to POWER by Kanye). SR2 pissed me off. SR4 was awful. Never played SR1.

Stackboy

I've generally enjoyed the Saints Row series, they were refreshing when GTA was taking itself far too seriously. I admire the big change in SR4. 3 hit the spot though. Haven't played that mini expansion that came out recently though, waiting for a sale.

Shaneus

SR2 was a great game when I finally played it on a PC that could hold 60fps...I waited a while. SR3 felt cheap in comparison. Also I loved SR4, it was a great Crackdown fix, I haven't bothered with the expansion game but it doesn't seem to be very good. At this point I don't know how SR can come back from 4 without doing a complete reboot.
I don't know how you managed to find a PC that could run it! Wasn't it some thing where if you had a CPU that had more cycles than the CPU in the 360 it would run slower? Or quicker or something?

Didn't worry me though, I clocked it on 360. Hell, I even bought the LE with the pizza box, basketball jersey and bullet-shaped USB key.

Playing a ton of LEGO Batman 3 on Vita right now. Highly recommend it. The writing is fantasticly fun and it's a damn good version of the game. Runs smooth as fuck and looks mint.

Levels are nice and short, maybe 30 minutes at most, others can be as short as 5 minutes when you get the hang of them. Perfect for portable.

Only issue is I wasn't paying attention to trophies and ruined my chance for the only missable one so I'll have to replay the entire game again at some point for the plat o_O

I really had a ball with Saints Row 3 but I've just finished the story in 4 and really hated it. I could never play 2 because it didn't run any good on PC.

senahorse

I don't know how you managed to find a PC that could run it! Wasn't it some thing where if you had a CPU that had more cycles than the CPU in the 360 it would run slower? Or quicker or something?

Didn't worry me though, I clocked it on 360. Hell, I even bought the LE with the pizza box, basketball jersey and bullet-shaped USB key.

I remember having to do a few tweaks, I ran it on a core i5 with a 6970 I believe, that was the same PC I tried to run SR3 with and I couldn't even get 20fps, it was a very well known issue that THQ never fixed, so I couldn't play that game until my next upgrade.

Shaneus

I remember having to do a few tweaks, I ran it on a core i5 with a 6970 I believe, that was the same PC I tried to run SR3 with and I couldn't even get 20fps, it was a very well known issue that THQ never fixed, so I couldn't play that game until my next upgrade.
I gave up on trying to run SR3 on my rig properly. Never properly supported crossfire and always ran like a bag of shit unless I dialled the settings *right* back. Strange thing is, the original version (before the Steamworks/DX11 re-release) of Red Faction Guerrilla ran fine with my setup.

Fucking Volition. I was so pissed with them.

senahorse

I gave up on trying to run SR3 on my rig properly. Never properly supported crossfire and always ran like a bag of shit unless I dialled the settings *right* back. Strange thing is, the original version (before the Steamworks/DX11 re-release) of Red Faction Guerrilla ran fine with my setup.

Fucking Volition. I was so pissed with them.

It was widely known for long after release to have issues with ATI cards, not everyone was affected but a lot were they basically stuck their middle finger up at PC gamers and kept making vague promises that never saw the light of day. It really irked me that I bought that game day one, and couldn't play it until day 365 and by then you could get it for $10.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dsc_0004pxoyz.jpg

NUyttbn.gif

senahorse

I've suffered on sub-par ADSL for over a decade now. I'm allowed to be excited! ;) But just you watch: something will go wrong. It always does.

Yeah like my area, 4APL. 1,2,3,4 completed, 6,7,8 completed, 9,10 in construction.

Oh did I miss 5 out, yeah I did, they decided to remove it from the map and pretend construction never even started (all re-mediation was done, and some fibre pulled), apparently because a lot of the area is serviced by cable, they changed it to cable-nbn, and what about the houses that don't have cable? Well I am glad you asked, they are going to lay new fucking copper...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah like my area, 4APL. 1,2,3,4 completed, 6,7,8 completed, 9,10 in construction.

Oh did I miss 5 out, yeah I did, they decided to remove it from the map and pretend construction never even started (all re-mediation was done, and some fibre pulled), apparently because a lot of the area is serviced by cable, they changed it to cable-nbn, and what about the houses that don't have cable? Well I am glad you asked, they are going to lay new fucking copper...

That's similar to what happened to a nearby suburb. For some reason it isn't being connected to the local POI (Pinjarra) and is instead being connected to one all the way near Fremantle, so it disappeared from Labor's 12-month rollout, reappeared briefly towards the end of 2013, and then disappeared again after the Coalition starting sticking its fingers in the NBN pie. If I had to guess I'd say that NBN Co forgot to take the suburb into account when planning the Pinjarra POI and had to scramble to find the closest suitable alternative. Basically, the area went from being slated for FTTP to being slated for FTTN (if construction commences before Labor does what it can to course-correct the rollout after it inevitably wins the next election) due to some sort of design oversight.

MoonGred

Why is it that every time I eat a souvlaki I regret it 1 hour later. It's this vicious cycle of me wanting it, eating it, regretting it and vowing never to eat it again, wanting it, ...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Guacamelee! Super turbo - $8.06
Trine enchanted edition - $6.79
Trine 2: directors cut. - $7.99
Shantae and the pirate curse - $8.99
Bittrip presents: runner 2: $5.99
Mighty switch force! 2 - $2.40
Mighty switch force hyper drive edition: $4.40
Toki tori 2+ - $7.99
Toki tori $1
Swords and soldiers $1.50
Giana sisters: twisted dreams $7.80
Rush: $1
Edge: $1

Wii u eshop indie game octopuss sale!

Cerity

It begins.

Tbh, these boxes aren't worth anywhere near the asking price, unless you value space, these things pack away pretty neatly. Outside of that they're pretty flimsy IMO. It provides a decent framework if I decide to go down the rabbit hole of curing and drying foods at least.

Rizzi

Newcastle is weird. People walking around in shorts and tshirts in the middle of winter.
Fucking put warm clothing on people!
I miss summer.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Newcastle is weird. People walking around in shorts and tshirts in the middle of winter.
Fucking put warm clothing on people!
I miss summer.

It wasn't too bad today! Went for a walk through the mall today and soaked up that glorious sunshine. Have you been in Newie during the summer?

in Brisbane, you see the guys who walk around the trendy inner city in shorts, t-shirts and thongs but have their arms tightly folded because it's cold (well, cold for Brisbane).

I used to call them Harrisons. Now I just call them ice-blocks because they're so damn cool. Any trendier and they'd have their own hashtag.

Then again, i have memories of opening up the loans office on Monday morning at the Cashies I worked at a long time ago and sure enough, even in the dead of winter the first customer would probably be a dude wearing jeans and nothing else needing a loan. different dude each week, too.

We live in the subtropics, but yes, it does get cold enough to put on a jumper and shoes.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It's still shorts and t-shirt weather for me during day, but cold as a motherfucker at night. I put that down to being in a house built for cooling. I bought a $23 heater from K-mart and it does the job.

in Brisbane, you see the guys who walk around the trendy inner city in shorts, t-shirts and thongs but have their arms tightly folded because it's cold (well, cold for Brisbane).

I used to call them Harrisons. Now I just call them ice-blocks because they're so damn cool. Any trendier and they'd have their own hashtag.

Then again, i have memories of opening up the loans office on Monday morning at the Cashies I worked at a long time ago and sure enough, even in the dead of winter the first customer would probably be a dude wearing jeans and nothing else needing a loan. different dude each week, too.

We live in the subtropics, but yes, it does get cold enough to put on a jumper and shoes.
Ever get someone pull a knife on you?

Ever get someone pull a knife on you?

no, i had some chick pick up a tape dispenser (the big ones with concrete weight inside) off the counter and smash it it down on the counter so hard it broke because I refused her a loan (her loan history made it likely it was stolen goods she was trying to pawn). I had a reputation for jumping the counter to confront customers who got threatening but in reality this was the one occasion I went outside to shout at them as they sped off (swearing like a pair of bogans on Bogan Hunter's "the Best of of Bogan Hunters."

It did cure me of this horrible feeling i'd always had since I was a kid if i was home by myself that there was always a silent prowler outside the house. Seeing so many obvious burglars cured me of the notion that B&Es were done by silent cat burglars. The only ones that were caught were the ones that were known to the victims (ie relatives). Once the store manager's garage or shed was robbed and he traced it back to a friend of his daughters who was an occasional customer.

The only positive of that job was I got lots of relatively cheap N64 carts (in 1999, this was a big deal) that i could buy from the store once the loans had lapsed and they'd been through the auction process (of which< i have no idea how that was supposed to have worked).

HolyCheck

Best female? How do they judge that, look at charitable donations? o_O

Also this rain hey. Almost flooded. Heater won't work >_<

One would assume it's the highest placed female in the mk64 tourney.

Also my friend just missed our train ;_; now I'm going to geelong alone. Will I be murdered

One would assume it's the highest placed female in the mk64 tourney.

Also my friend just missed our train ;_; now I'm going to geelong alone. Will I be murdered

Ah that makes sense, didn't say anything on that poster about Mario Kart. I assumed Best 12 meant they expected a lot of people to compete! Top would have been a better word for it.

HolyCheck

Geelong is a land filled with ugly people.

That is my take away from my day trip to geelong.

Geelongausgaf excluded of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom