• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a large potion of my day clearing broken bottles, used hypodermic needles, Amiibos, and mouldy old meat products from a house while trying to block out fleas and some old lady who thought I could understand her cussing despite the lack of teeth. Today was fulfilling as fuck!

So you're moving into Holy's old place?

m4p4UId.jpg

todays earnings.

You mean that's where today's earnings went?

So you're moving into Holy's old place?

Actually I'm Holy's land lord. THAT"S RIGHT HOLY, I GOT KEYS TO YO HOUSE AND I SEE WHAT YOU GET UP TO AT NIGHT ITS DISGUSTING
STOP FORCING THOSE AMIIBOS TO SLEEP IN BED WITH YOU, SHOULD BE A LAW AGAINST THAT

Cerity

There's a biltong kit on ozb right now and now I'm craving some biltong.

Why does my butcher sell it at such extortional rates and why do I keep buying it.

I'm going to buy this thing.

MoonGred

You mean that's where today's earnings went?

Actually I'm Holy's land lord. THAT"S RIGHT HOLY, I GOT KEYS TO YO HOUSE AND I SEE WHAT YOU GET UP TO AT NIGHT ITS DISGUSTING
STOP FORCING THOSE AMIIBOS TO SLEEP IN BED WITH YOU, SHOULD BE A LAW AGAINST THAT

Didn't you know that Holy gets paid in amiibos?

Darren870

My day consisted of sitting in meetings and wondering what the fuck I was doing with my life.

Now I'm waiting for the squat rack.

Best day everrrrrr

I'd love to know why rubbing vapor rub on the soles of your feet stops a coughing fit (where you have a tickle at the back of your throat and can't stop coughing up phlegm).

Shaneus

So the whole "I'll just use a 240GB SSD in my PS4, I'll never need that much space" has completely blown up in my face after having played a bit of GTA5. SIXTY GIG INSTALL FFS.

There's no way the game is that big on PC (is there?) so NFI WTF they're going for with such a massive footprint. But fuck 'em. And I can't run games of external HDDs, can I?

Anyway, rant over for the day. Surprised how much difference there is in playing between that and the PS3 one. Not just graphically, but man it's good to play it at a (somewhat) constant 30fps. Think with the last few days I've had off sick I'm up to where I made it on the PS3 version before I chucked it in.

dat torture QTE, holy shit

So the whole "I'll just use a 240GB SSD in my PS4, I'll never need that much space" has completely blown up in my face after having played a bit of GTA5. SIXTY GIG INSTALL FFS.

There's no way the game is that big on PC (is there?) so NFI WTF they're going for with such a massive footprint. But fuck 'em. And I can't run games of external HDDs, can I?

Anyway, rant over for the day. Surprised how much difference there is in playing between that and the PS3 one. Not just graphically, but man it's good to play it at a (somewhat) constant 30fps. Think with the last few days I've had off sick I'm up to where I made it on the PS3 version before I chucked it in.

dat torture QTE, holy shit

lol I remember GTA4 on PC being an insanely large install too at the time. At least compared to other games. Was 20GB or 40GB? Can't recall, that was so long ago now o_O

How you liking GTA5 so far? Thinking back I'd have to rate it my favourite GTA now. They just nailed it finally.

Still on season one. I've heard you can skip alot of the episodes and just watch the ones that effect the major plot arc, but I'm happy to see them all.

I'd argue a lot of the MOTW episodes are better than a lot of the major plot episodes. Just finished the start of Season 3 as was pretty underwhelmed/disappointed.

So far it's been spotty as fuck. First half of Season 2 was pure gold but it kinda went by in a blur towards the end.

When it's on it's game there is almost nothing out there as good though. Can't think of another series on this level until Breaking Bad/Mad Men era stuff.

I started out liking the X-Files when it was first on, I think It lost me in 3 or 4 and I quit cold turkey never to return.

Not a horror SF fan so I never returned. I know this adds nothing to the conversation but this seems acceptable behaviour on GAF to come and say you don't like something.

Also, as a non-sports fan but as a QLDer, its hard not to know when Origin is on. I had no idea last night's match was Game 3. I remember being aware when QLD lost but have no recollection of whatever game we won.

Stackboy

I'd argue a lot of the MOTW episodes are better than a lot of the major plot episodes. Just finished the start of Season 3 as was pretty underwhelmed/disappointed.

So far it's been spotty as fuck. First half of Season 2 was pure gold but it kinda went by in a blur towards the end.

When it's on it's game there is almost nothing out there as good though. Can't think of another series on this level until Breaking Bad/Mad Men era stuff.

I am watching them all, the monster of the week side stories are pretty cool.

Yeah I don't mind the MOTW episodes, they are pretty interesting.

The whole 90's aesthetic of this show really gets me, same goes for twin peaks. But the 90's are my favorite era.

Quasar

I started out liking the X-Files when it was first on, I think It lost me in 3 or 4 and I quit cold turkey never to return.

Not a horror SF fan so I never returned. I know this adds nothing to the conversation but this seems acceptable behaviour on GAF to come and say you don't like something.

Well I'd hope any community would allow you say you don't like something. Different people like different things. I mean I never liked most of the so called premium HBO shows (Rome, Deadwood and GoT aside). Never liked the Sopranos, never liked Madmen, never tried Breaking Bad because the subject is totally uninteresting to me.

I loved the X-Files myself, I only really dropped off when Mulder left and they brought in new Agents. And its hard for me to see it without nostalgia goggles now.

Did you ever try Fringe? that was a pretty great modern X-Files style show.

I disagree, your comment has informed us that you stopped watching around season 3/4 which gives an indication something happened at that point to put you off. More information is better than less in my opinion!

Shaneus

It's that big on PC.
Jesus fuck. lol r* do u even compression?

lol I remember GTA4 on PC being an insanely large install too at the time. At least compared to other games. Was 20GB or 40GB? Can't recall, that was so long ago now o_O

How you liking GTA5 so far? Thinking back I'd have to rate it my favourite GTA now. They just nailed it finally.
Really enjoying it, much more than when on PS3. I know I said that before, I just still find it really weird. Not sure about Trevor though, he goes from being super shitty
curb-stomping the biker, torture scene
to excessively nice
dropping the torture guy off at the airport
. And the whole
gay
thing, I don't know if that's going anywhere or not?

But yeah, I'm liking it. Probably moreso that I spent the last two and a bit days (home, sick away from work) kind of powering through it. Went from zero to just after the
torture
bit, and it says I'm 20 missions through 69 with about 2.5 hrs played each for Franklin and Trevor, with 3.5 hrs for Michael (whose storyline by far I'm enjoying more than anyone else's).

FWIW (maybe I didn't mention it before) but I remember the
fake death
mission of Michael's in the PS3 one, but not the
torture
mission of Trevor's... so I'm pretty sure I'm past as far as I got on the copy I actually own myself.

Is it my favourite so far? It's damn well up there, but even though I haven't finished it I can't put it above Vice City. I know I need to finish it on at least *some* platform (need to power through that one, too... even if I buy it on iOS, play it with the DS3) but I still feel it pulls off atmosphere better than 5.

Jintor

gtav i think is the game where i finally acknowledged man i don't really like these shoot-drive open world games very much

Really enjoying it, much more than when on PS3. I know I said that before, I just still find it really weird. Not sure about Trevor though, he goes from being super shitty
curb-stomping the biker, torture scene
to excessively nice
dropping the torture guy off at the airport
. And the whole
gay
thing, I don't know if that's going anywhere or not?.
Trevor is just messed up in general, rather than being any one particular type of psychopath. Part of it is using him as an embodiment of what a typical COD/GTA player is trying to be in the game, for better or worse. He flies into a rage every now and then when triggered but otherwise maintains his weird persona to mask his pain, he has a rescinded arc in the game which was kinda nice that they didn't try and redeem him or something. Trevor is Trevor and I like that.

Is it my favourite so far? It's damn well up there, but even though I haven't finished it I can't put it above Vice City. I know I need to finish it on at least *some* platform (need to power through that one, too... even if I buy it on iOS, play it with the DS3) but I still feel it pulls off atmosphere better than 5.
I like VC/SA for what they did in terms of recreating a time and a place but enjoying the gameplay and world design of 5 much more. I seem to be one of the few people who found the controls and movement in 5 fine.

Shaneus

Trevor is just messed up in general, rather than being any one particular type of psychopath. Part of it is using him as an embodiment of what a typical COD/GTA player is trying to be in the game, for better or worse. He flies into a rage every now and then when triggered but otherwise maintains his weird persona to mask his pain, he has a rescinded arc in the game which was kinda nice that they didn't try and redeem him or something. Trevor is Trevor and I like that.
Ohhh.... the typical COD/GTA player I can totally see now! That makes much more sense (and to be honest, is so damned obvious now). Have they gone on record saying that, or is it just the public making that very obvious assessment?

Especially all the homophobic statements and "jokes", it clicks now!

I like VC/SA for what they did in terms of recreating a time and a place but enjoying the gameplay and world design of 5 much more. I seem to be one of the few people who found the controls and movement in 5 fine.
Yeah, I've had no problems with controls in GTA5 on PS4... didn't know there were such issues. I do remember having to kind of wrestle with them on the PS3, so maybe it comes with any title that doesn't run at a steady framerate.

Just bought VC on iOS so I can give that a crack on train rides to/from work. I'll make a better judgement then.

Maybe if they did a VC/Gay Tony-esque story with the GTA5 engine? I'd love to see, rather than a quasi-realistic current-day reflected in a GTA, a different era with exaggerated filters and colours like how VC was to GTA3.

Good old Victoria putting me through hoops for a paintball license to own my own marker (paintball firearm). I play at least once per year and usually up to 2-3 times per year so it's time I went through all the steps. I just hope it all comes through before 2nd week next month for our annual play session.

I'm so sick of the venue supplied markers, they're easily the worst part of the experience every time. Also considering joining or forming a team to compete (or at least attempt to).

Bernbaum

gtav i think is the game where i finally acknowledged man i don't really like these shoot-drive open world games very much

Except it's not really like other open world car games. Rockstar took what they learned from creating the world of RDR, and then applied that to Los Santos to get a much more rigid narrative, ostensibly set in an open world. It's not quite so much about driving around killing people, as it is an exploration of the Californian culture and mindset.

Saints Row is more drivey-shooty.

Shaneus

Except it's not really like other open world car games. Rockstar took what they learned from creating the world of RDR, and then applied that to Los Santos to get a much more rigid narrative, ostensibly set in an open world. It's not quite so much about driving around killing people, as it is an exploration of the Californian culture and mindset.
THAT'S WHY I LIKE IT SO MUCH!

It all makes sense now. Everyone up in AusGAF is schooling me on GTA5 narratives and gameplay and such.

Jintor

Saints Row is more drivey-shooty.

yeah except it was boring as shit, so it failed both in being interesting and in drive-shoot

maybe it's just regret on jumping on it the moment it came to pc, but the narrative was somehow the most irritatingly nothing of all the gta's i've played so far where bad things happen to bad people for no discernable reasons and assholes screw each other over constantly but you don't care.

Cerity

I really dug x files up until all that super soldier stuff, that was a showcase of how not to do an overarching plot imo.

I might go watch the first few seasons again now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom