• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'll say yes, because I bought this plate:
gtFDm9L.jpg

And saw this:
lwnkZ7w.jpg

The retro videogame selection was a let down. Some nice atari 2600 catridges there but I only have an ST :(

Megadrive selection was just games I already have, n64 stuff wasn't too much but enough, was nice to just hear some young kids get super excited (like 12 or so) then start rattling off to their mum about the NES and what it is etc.

Yeah that Mill Market never had much in the way of games back when I lived in Geelong. Used to be another Mill Market there too which was pretty awesome for records but it got sold off sadly.

I
Megadrive selection was just games I already have, n64 stuff wasn't too much but enough, was nice to just hear some young kids get super excited (like 12 or so) then start rattling off to their mum about the NES and what it is etc.

cool. Sounds like how everyone on OT is now an expert on every comic that has ever been printed.

I am genuinely sad about Iwata's passing. I never met the man, but I feel he was a lot more human and genuine than most of the heads of large games companies.

Ventron

I am genuinely sad about Iwata's passing. I never met the man, but I feel he was a lot more human and genuine than most of the heads of large games companies.

Agreed. He always felt like a friend and someone who wanted you to laugh with him. He was a really smart and talented programmer too.

Yagharek

Ugh how horrible to have it happen so young regardless of his role.

What a sad day. I loved his Directs and attitude to the hobby in general. Really came across as a big kid.

Shaneus

What the fuck?

I was never a big fan of Nintendo, but respected the guy for having such an open role in the company and of course for the sales behemoth of the original Wii. Damn.

Edit: 56. Holy shit.

Iwata was a legend, whether you care for Nintendo or not. He was also a legit coder and gamer first and foremost, which from a customer's point of view is pretty much exactly what you want.

A big hole for not only Nintendo, but the industry today.

Dryk

Iwata was a legend, whether you care for Nintendo or not. He was also a legit coder and gamer first and foremost, which from a customer's point of view is pretty much exactly what you want.

Earthbound and Gold/Silver just would not have been the same without him

EDIT: I just learnt that back in the early days of the NES HAL almost went under but because they had Iwata making games for them Nintendo invested in them and kept them afloat

Yagharek

He was also pretty much the most pro-customer exec the industry has ever seen. This is not to be a slight against others, but just a comment about how earnest he came across as.

Directs were often about silly little features of apparent inconsequence but often were about things that added to a game's character.

I love what he did with the company in its Wii/DS focus era. Really made me happy to play those games that were borne out of those experiments. A willingness to try new things with hardware is something he pursued to the benefit of the medium. And games made with this ethos made me so damn happy to play them.

I hope Nintendo retains his focus and enthusiasm. It was a big part of what made them so interesting.

Worst news to start the week on :(

I never knew the man, I never met him, but his influence on the world effected me deeply, thank you Iwata, I thank him for the memories & smiles he brought me and to millions of gamers around the world. The gaming world is slightly darker and colder without him and I will miss his infectious positivity from the Directs. He was a bright spot of fun and silliness in an industry that usually takes itself way too seriously. I was never disappointed in him and he never needed to apologize to me for anything.

Also days like today remind me why I hate and love the internet, seeing some people through hate at him is just saddening. But the amazing outpouring of love and wishes has been awesome.

there's just something about art depicting Nintendo characters sad that feels like a punch in the guts.
I might as well write off the rest of the day and just go peel the contents of that 30kg sack of onions in the kitchen.

tumblr_nrf0ek2Eb81usnr9to1_400.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Just got a call from "Careers Australia" or something regarding an "exciting opportunity that would intere- oh wait you're on a working holiday" *click*.

Now I play the "where did I upload my CV" game to find out where they got my number.

MoonGred

there's just something about art depicting Nintendo characters sad that feels like a punch in the guts.
I might as well write off the rest of the day and just go peel the contents of that 30kg sack of onions in the kitchen.

tumblr_nrf0ek2Eb81usnr9to1_400.gif

There's something about that gif that makes it feel overly 80s

Stackboy

Words spoken like a hoarder!

Yep, a week or 2 before moving is the best time to evaluate what you really need to keep.

Started playing Far Cry 4 on PC again last night and I'm really enjoying it, but its so frustrating when it crashes so often. Played for 3 hours last night and it crashed about 4 times.

Words spoken like a hoarder!

Yep, a week or 2 before moving is the best time to evaluate what you really need to keep.

Yeah, um, anyone want any gaming shit? I'm going to sell my entire PS3 collection (since my PS3 croaked a few weeks back), my entire PSP collection, my Saturn collection... oh and I may as well get rid of this Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket Colour, Gamegear, Mega CD etc etc. Yeah... I have way too much shit.

Darren870

Yea thats a lot of shit! Then again I used have like over 2,000 games, an arcade cabinet a huge Neo-Geo collection, complete Dreamcast collection etc etc etc.

Now I have like ~25 games. A cd binder filled...

Those were the days...

Shaneus

Yeah, um, anyone want any gaming shit? I'm going to sell my entire PS3 collection (since my PS3 croaked a few weeks back), my entire PSP collection, my Saturn collection... oh and I may as well get rid of this Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket Colour, Gamegear, Mega CD etc etc. Yeah... I have way too much shit.
Oh god... I know I don't need it, but I'd love something Saturn-y. But yeah, I have too much clutter and it is :( And saving for a house etc.

Yea thats a lot of shit! Then again I used have like over 2,000 games, an arcade cabinet a huge Neo-Geo collection, complete Dreamcast collection etc etc etc.

Now I have like ~25 games. A cd binder filled...

Those were the days...
I'm a pinball guy, but if there's one (or two) cab(s) I'm ever getting, it's one of those red Neo-Geo cabs. And probably a cocktail of some kind.

Started playing Far Cry 4 on PC again last night and I'm really enjoying it, but its so frustrating when it crashes so often. Played for 3 hours last night and it crashed about 4 times.

Dang that sucks, was flawless for me on PS4. Loved F4 a lot. Great sequel.

Darren870

Oh god... I know I don't need it, but I'd love something Saturn-y. But yeah, I have too much clutter and it is :( And saving for a house etc.

I'm a pinball guy, but if there's one (or two) cab(s) I'm ever getting, it's one of those red Neo-Geo cabs. And probably a cocktail of some kind.

Haha Big Red!
I had a a Neo Geo Candy Cab. Had a 4 slot MVS in it and a bunch of Arcade PCBS, well ones that only need 2-3 buttons. Mostly shumps.

m5ZtXbL6w_iTNbzl3YvBmUg.jpg

Always wanted a pin, but they take up a bit too much room. I was thinking of converting our garage into some sort of ManCave with like a PIN, Arcade Cab and Kegerator. However, I know it wouldn't get much use 3+ months out of the year because it would be too cold. Then I doubt I would even play it that much during the year. IDK, still up in the air... Might start with the kegerator though, seems like the most important part :)

You sure you don't want, say, my copy of Guardian Heroes?

I'd buy some of your shit Poimandres :)

What are you in the market for?

Shaneus

Haha Big Red!
I had a a Neo Geo Candy Cab. Had a 4 slot MVS in it and a bunch of Arcade PCBS, well ones that only need 2-3 buttons. Mostly shumps.

m5ZtXbL6w_iTNbzl3YvBmUg.jpg
Yeah, I'd probably be going mostly shmups as well, plus Puzzle Bobble and the Metal Slug titles. Not much for fighters. And maybe have it somehow switchable with a CPS2 because I find the games across both are very similar. Need that Alien vs. Predator.

Always wanted a pin, but they take up a bit too much room. I was thinking of converting our garage into some sort of ManCave with like a PIN, Arcade Cab and Kegerator. However, I know it wouldn't get much use 3+ months out of the year because it would be too cold. Then I doubt I would even play it that much during the year. IDK, still up in the air... Might start with the kegerator though, seems like the most important part :)
If you ever have questions, feel free to ask via PM or in this thread (or in the Pinball Arcade thread, it's basically an unofficial IRL pinball thread anyway). I have two in a single bedroom unit, so don't discount having a machine inside! If you're having problems justifying it to the missus, just tell her they very rarely, if ever, lose value and right now will probably make money in the long run if you buy right.

Hell, the only thing stopping me buying more is my living arrangement. Once my girlfriend and I sort out a house, I'll be borrowing from my friends' 40+ collection ;)

You sure you don't want, say, my copy of Guardian Heroes?
Probably! I think I even actually still have a Saturn kicking around somewhere, but I have a feeling that's a pricey game, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom