• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

I want to get that for 360. I couldn't tell if its region free though. I think it is based on some googling.

Any one have a 360 copy they want to sell? Wolfenstein New Order that is...

Edit: Actually, does anyone have any 360 games they want to get rid of? I'll have to check if they are region free, but its been ages since I've gotten a new game.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Food there is great, we are going again sometime after work this week :)

It was good, but really expensive. 2x BBQ chicken sticks for $12. In Taiwan you could buy over a kilo of street food and still have enough left over to buy a beer for that price.

Moving out of home shortly and the XB1 is having to stay at old place so i need a new one. Anyone know of any good prices/bundles?

Got my eye on this one: http://www.target.com.au/p/xbox-one-5-gb-console-bundle-with-3-games-ea-games-vault/58197455

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/204578 with MCC and Forza Horizon 2 (and both AC games) and extra controller (obviously the oldest version) also $499

With the dollar soon going to 70c, are we confident of price drops carrying over to here?

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/204578 with MCC and Forza Horizon 2 (and both AC games) and extra controller (obviously the oldest version) also $499

With the dollar soon going to 70c, are we confident of price drops carrying over to here?

That is a good deal but i do already have MCC, Unity and FH2 (plus Black Flag is the free game with gold this month).

I think i will go with the target deal simply because it has minecraft and EA Access and i can flog the two assassins games later on.

Rizzi

Missed a phonecall earlier and I called them back hoping it was a job I applied for.
Nope. Just some private training place that my jobactive place gave my information to. Yay.

Dryk

I have no opinion on Shadow of Mordor because my habits are always at least 5 years behind. Instead of one of your fancy pants new open worlds I'm currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the first time. It's a bit empty to be honest but I'm still getting good emergent stories from it so I can't complain.

I have no opinion on Shadow of Mordor because my habits are always at least 5 years behind. Instead of one of your fancy pants new open worlds I'm currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the first time. It's a bit empty to be honest but I'm still getting good emergent stories from it so I can't complain.

to bring you up to speed: its a relatively shallow amalgam of Arkham-style combat with Assassin's Creed-style open world set in Tolkien's Middle-Earth based on Peter Jackson's films that distracted you from its shortcomings with a thing called the Nemesis system, that basically gave names to mini-bosses and levelled them up if they killed you. It's either insanely easy or insanely hard.

And people needed something to play last year between the release of Watch Dogs and Borderlands TPS.

It's an either/or sorta game. bookmark this page for 2019 when you get around to playing it.

It doesn't just give them names, it has a series of traits applied to them, strengths and weaknesses. Immunity to ranged attack, fear of betrayal, etc. Some combinations of these traits makes the encounters interesting and difficult especially if one method of killing them was a crutch you'd been leaning on a lot. Approaching the fights with these guys meant you had to think about your plan of attack and let you line up these perfect ambushes if you did your job really well that would kill them either instantly or extremely quickly.

Combat felt satisfying as fuck imo. I can't even this backlash on GAF which seems almost worse than what ME2 got.

Jintor

I feel like the problem is it was always really easy to work around the weaknesses. If they're immune to ranged, do this other thing. If they're immune to that thing, you have another thing in your toolbox that can easily deal with it. I guess that was the crux of it - they didn't really present any challenge as it was, since it wasn't like they were so difficult that you had to rely on their weakness all the time. Perhaps this was just a side effect of the standard player character becomes god-powerful thing that always happens though.

Depends on the order you did your upgrades and how much side content you did. Lategame dude was OP as fuck. It also depends on how lucky or unlucky you got with the boss generation. I had one or two guys that were genuinely tough and I hate to wait until I got my own bosses to betray them because they had like immune to range + immune to finishers and no major weaknesses. I only died a few times but there were quite a few fights I retreated from when it became clear I was outmatched. I actually saw someone complain about being able to retreat which was weird to me. Like they thought the only indicator of difficulty was how often you die.

senahorse

I enjoyed the first half of that game, but by the second half it had overstayed it's welcome. The Nemesis system was really amazing but the game itself by the second half just felt like a Nemesis system tech demo.

STALKER is awesome. One of my all time favourites. I love the way that half of the stashes you come across are empty, and that plenty of places are very lonely. It's totally appropriate for the setting.

Be sure to have some fun using different save states. The AI is fantastic, and different situations can play out radically differently. For instance, you might have a gruelling battle with a camp of bandits or you might turn up and find they are all dead. That's life in the zone for you!

Dryk

Combat felt satisfying as fuck imo. I can't even this backlash on GAF which seems almost worse than what ME2 got.
Don't get me started on my thoughts re: ME1 vs ME2 :p

STALKER is awesome. One of my all time favourites. I love the way that half of the stashes you come across are empty, and that plenty of places are very lonely. It's totally appropriate for the setting.

Be sure to have some fun using different save states. The AI is fantastic, and different situations can play out radically differently. For instance, you might have a gruelling battle with a camp of bandits or you might turn up and find they are all dead. That's life in the zone for you!
I think most of my negative thoughts mostly stem from it being slapped with an open world tag when it does it a disservice. You're right in that the sparseness of the Zone makes sense but it makes the game more of a Crysisy experience than an actual open world. An indication of which sector the side-quests take place in would be nice to stop me from accepting ones I can't do too.

Also you can really feel that the game went through a bit of a tumultuous development because a lot of the quest dialogue doesn't actually make any sense. Often you'll be told to "sneak" into a place but the game makes it impossible to do so because the guards have really good eyesight and most bases only have one of two entry points unless you're specifically told in the quest. And sometimes the quests will say that the NPCs will do something and then they just stand around and get shot.

Overall most of the things that are bugging me are pretty obviously just jank that built up over a long and difficult dev cycle so I don't mind.

Cerity

I find the combat in the arkham games boring as fuck, so SoM was a no go for me. I lost to curiosity and gave it a try anyway, found the nemesis system cool aaaand that was it. It's a game that really did feel like a checklist put together in an exec meeting.

Jintor

i actually really like batman's combat system but only when the goal is to defeat entire groups in a single combo (which is of course every combat encounter for me)

So with my gfx card I was supposed to get mgs5 but they didn't have any in stock (didn't even know it was out tbh). Would nvidia give me a code for it or something? :/

I think most of my negative thoughts mostly stem from it being slapped with an open world tag when it does it a disservice. You're right in that the sparseness of the Zone makes sense but it makes the game more of a Crysisy experience than an actual open world. An indication of which sector the side-quests take place in would be nice to stop me from accepting ones I can't do too.

Also you can really feel that the game went through a bit of a tumultuous development because a lot of the quest dialogue doesn't actually make any sense. Often you'll be told to "sneak" into a place but the game makes it impossible to do so because the guards have really good eyesight and most bases only have one of two entry points unless you're specifically told in the quest. And sometimes the quests will say that the NPCs will do something and then they just stand around and get shot.

Overall most of the things that are bugging me are pretty obviously just jank that built up over a long and difficult dev cycle so I don't mind.

Yeah, it's not an "open world" game at all really. COP has bigger areas and is a bit more streamlined, but it's still not an open world game. But STALKER's approach to AI really ruined most games for me because it's so much more varied and I love the way beasts roam around and often attack each other. The game has lot's of jank though, for sure. Complete mods are pretty pain free though, and you can really punish yourself if you start messing with things like Misery mod.

Imagine if it actually came out in 2004... it would have changed everything and the FPS landscape would be so different today. I'm still waiting for a real successor. Who knows how long that will take!

Dryk

But STALKER's approach to AI really ruined most games for me because it's so much more varied and I love the way beasts roam around and often attack each other.
I had a really good one at the beginning of the game. I went through the electric tunnel under the train tracks and was hanging out with the Loners at the farm for a bit. Then just after nightfall I saw a bunch of headlamps out in the bushes and a firefight started. After taking a few of them out I realised that they were the military guys from the checkpoint and I was surprised that they'd left to attack us. After the battle I found a Loner corpse near the checkpoint, the idiot must've gotten too close while out for a walk and triggered the assault.

Then today on my way back from Dark Valley I found a party of Bandits just beyond the carpark heading for the rookie camp. I started following them and trying to catch up without being detected when I was suddenly shot in the back by a straggler I hadn't noticed.

Universal remote for $8 at Dick Smith, seems to work with some of the shitty brands like our second TV which is nice since I needed a new one.

lol doubtful. MS might drop just because they don't care about making money.

Wait, what backlash against ME2? ME2 was great if unimportant. Better combat, better dialogue/characters, better flow. It was pretty much a 3rd person shooter though, no longer the kind of RPG the first game was.

i actually really like batman's combat system but only when the goal is to defeat entire groups in a single combo (which is of course every combat encounter for me)
Yeah that combat style works perfectly when you want to IM THE FUCKING BATMAN some people. Otherwise it feels a little off.

Nope. My first time playing anything is usually vanilla, what does it change?

EVERYTHING.

Also it makes it look amazing.

FUCKING INSTALL IT MEOW

ME2 was probably, for me, more enjoyable than ME1. Overall, at least.

But I felt let down by the change in style (70s era Carpenteresque sci-fi vs bombastic space opera), the lack of exploration (not that it was particularly great in ME1), and the compartmentalisation of the missions.

Wait, what backlash against ME2? ME2 was great if unimportant. Better combat, better dialogue/characters, better flow. It was pretty much a 3rd person shooter though, no longer the kind of RPG the first game was.

Bro go into any mass effect series thread. Based on regular posters I'd say the majority of GAF Mass Effect fans think the first game is the best. Quite a few people dislike 2 and a ton hate 3.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'd rate the series ME1 > ME3 > ME2.

Mass Effect 1 had the best combat. Even if it was janky and filled with slowdown. Just the customization options available to tailor guns and stuff to your tastes was fantastic. By the end of the game I ended up with assault rifles with mods that made them never overheat while pumping out hot death. The entire last level was just me holding the trigger and pushing forward. It was the sci-fi action movie that the game promised from the beginning. That and explosive round sniper rifles. Or explosive round shotguns.

But ME2 had no customization, like five guns in the entire game, and a whole bunch of damage sponge enemies. That and unless you were in cover you got killed pretty easily.

ME3's combat was greatly improved from 2, but still was nowhere close to the first.

As for everything else: ME1 made me feel like an explorer. It made me feel like an actual spaceman when I set foot on planets and explored shit. The atmosphere - even in the carbon-copy outposts, derelict ships and mines - was great. ME2 and ME3 were simply corridor shooters. There was no semblance of exploration or adventure, just the notion to push forward and to follow the marker on the map. ME2 and 3 are still good games, but everything that made ME1 unique was streamlined to hell. EA's influence was all over both games.

Bro go into any mass effect series thread. Based on regular posters I'd say the majority of GAF Mass Effect fans think the first game is the best. Quite a few people dislike 2 and a ton hate 3.

Ah we talking "best" game or fav game?
Best would be 2 imo, everything worked great but it was svelte as fuck.
Fav is 1 due to the awesome plot/story and how epic it felt. Fav Bioware just for how adventurery it felt for me.

hamchan

I think I just enjoyed a good third person shooter with NPC conversations more than Mass Effect 1 which had janky, kinda bad, shooting that they tried to force RPG gameplay on top of plus awful Mako sections.

I don't think either ME2 or SoM qualifies as a backlash. Both had significant criticisms from the day of release.

Well whatever you call the effect where the general praise it gets on release is slowly drowned out by the persistent negativity and when people make LTTP threads six months or a year later the overall tone of threads has become dominated by said negativity. This is like the 50th game it's happened to during my time here.

Bernbaum

If you're setting a baseline go with gravy, or mushroom gravy (depending on your preference).

Went the parmigiana option as that sounded like the most filling, although some gravy ones went past and they looked incredible.

Apart from having no skyscrapers to help as a beacon for out of town pedestrians, I've always loved Adelaide. It has the strongest identity of the capital cities I think. Also the best beers and enviable bakeries.

Darren870

It's good if you like hops. Last time I was there everything was all hops.

Edit: But yeah, in general it is pretty decent, they do have a good range of beers from other brewers.

That's funny. I don't like hops really at all. They had a lot of saisons, but I don't find them hoppy. Had some good fruit and sour beers too!

Dryk

From what I've seen it's pretty much split down the genre lines. Since I care more about the RPG mechanics than the shooter mechanics I thought the gameplay in 1 was better. The characters were better in 2 but then again I thought that Paragon Shepard was too passive-aggressive in 2 when he was more goody two-shoes in one and that inconsistency annoyed me. It didn't help that my chosen class (Infiltrator) has a primary weapon that's useless in ME2 considering it's all tight corridors and the ammo is scarce.

Jintor

Well whatever you call the effect where the general praise it gets on release is slowly drowned out by the persistent negativity and when people make LTTP threads six months or a year later the overall tone of threads has become dominated by said negativity. This is like the 50th game it's happened to during my time here.

turnabout?

Yrael

Having at last bought a PS3 last month, I finally have 100% on Journey and Okami HD. Woo! Now on to Flower (and after that, Ni No Kuni). :)

Abyssmal

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

Long time no post / Maybe this is my first post.

Shan tells me you all build you own computers, and I'd love some help picking out mine.

I'm currently trying to build a computer for VFX and 3D Rendering. Obviously, it's not going to be a render farm. But I would like to run Zbrush, Maya, MODO, Nuke and Houdini alot better than my computer currently does.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/KXmJdC

There is my part list. It is currently on the bleeding edge of my budget. Please let me know what you think, and if I may be wasting some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom