• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Do Seagate still have that abysmal failure rate from a few years back? If so you might want to look into a different brand of hard-drive.

Do Seagate still have that abysmal failure rate from a few years back? If so you might want to look into a different brand of hard-drive.

Not sure, I remember a bunch of debunking reports popping up earlier this year. I think it was a particular bunch of models that were higher than others.

(anecdote: no issue with Seagate drives here, my one WD drive died a few years back, ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP!)

trinest

Not sure, I remember a bunch of debunking reports popping up earlier this year. I think it was a particular bunch of models that were higher than others.

(anecdote: no issue with Seagate drives here, my one WD drive died a few years back, ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP!)

Yeah there portalable ones are neat, but the others depend on the storage capacitiy, usually odd numbered drivers do worse as well as the bigger drives.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Since 1999, I've only ever had two hard drives that failed on me. One was a 120GB Maxtor (which died after 2 years of near-continual 24/7 use) and the other a 1TB Seagate portable that just decided to stop working after using it once/twice a month for 2 years.

I generally only use WD HDDs now. I've got 2x 4TB Reds in my NAS, and a 2TB Black in my desktop. That and 1TB and 2TB Passports that I carry around for backups and stuff.

It got worse afaik. HGST (Hitachi) is still the way to go.

My only experience of HGST is their bottom-wrung generic 2.5" drives that come with most laptops. They're fucking awful.

Dryk

I can't remember ever having an internal drive fail yet. But in my experience portables have a relatively short life, probably due to being moved around more.

Kritz

Banned
awesome news. where?

Working for a small team at UTAS making a mobile game to help with smoking cessation. 24h/week, six month schedule (assuming I don't bork up in the first 4 weeks I suppose).

The interview was brutal, I got grilled so hard about my average grades and kind of dodgy code and my questionable work ethic. Then dude's like, "want to check out the office?" and then he hands me a HR slip and tells me I start on Monday.

Working for a small team at UTAS making a mobile game to help with smoking cessation. 24h/week, six month schedule (assuming I don't bork up in the first 4 weeks I suppose).

The interview was brutal, I got grilled so hard about my average grades and kind of dodgy code and my questionable work ethic. Then dude's like, "want to check out the office?" and then he hands me a HR slip and tells me I start on Monday.

Just port this on the quiet and spend the rest of the time watching Bojack Horseman on Netflix.

HHZQKge.jpg

You did show them the green light page right

Kritz

Banned
You did show them the green light page right

█▀▀░█░█░█▀█░█▀▀░█▀█
▀▀█░█░█░█▀▀░█▀░░█▀▄
▀▀▀░▀▀▀░▀░░░▀▀▀░▀░▀
█▄░▄█░█▀▀░█▀▀▀░ █▀█
█░█░█░█▀░░█░▀█░█▀▀█
▀░▀░▀░▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀░░▀
█░░█░█░▀▀█▀▀░█▀█░ █▀█
█░░█░█░░░█░░░█▀▄░█▀▀█
▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀░▀░░░▀░▀░▀░░▀
█▀▀░█▀█░█░█▀▀
█▀░░█▀▀░█░█
▀▀▀░▀░░░▀░▀▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░████
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█
██████▄▄█░░░░░███▄
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░ Valve ░░░ █
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░Add The░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░ Game! ░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░█

Dryk

Oh I forgot to mention while I was in Melbourne for the weekend I went to Screen Worlds at the ACMI. That zoetrope is so cool.

Abyssmal

Neo Member
Thanks for all the HD advice guys, I've been reading up on the failure rates, and all brands seem to fluctuate over the years.

Man if DDR3 Memory would work with the CPU I need I would be all over that. Alas they fixed it.

Do you really need that blu-ray reader? and grab win 7 from here for like a quarter of the price.

Thanks dude will defs hit that up. Though some of the threads look hella scammy.

Awesome job Kritz ! I'm sure you'll nail it.

If you can, I would actually love to hear what sort of questions they grilled you with, or what caught you offgaurd.

MoonGred

Common sense kicked in and I've decided I just need a reliable car.
Any recommendations for young 2ndhand cars under 20k? I've been looking at golf but it finding a manual is near impossible in Victoria, and I've heard to many horror stories of the DSG breaking after warranty to risk getting an automatic.

Any recommendations for young 2ndhand cars under 20k? I've been looking at golf but it finding a manual is near impossible in Victoria, and I've heard to many horror stories of the DSG breaking after warranty to risk getting an automatic.

What size car? Can't go wrong with Mazda, Subaru or in a pinch, Toyota.

MoonGred

What size car? Can't go wrong with Mazda, Subaru or in a pinch, Toyota.

Been looking at some corolla's and mazda 3s. I don't know when it happened but for some reason all the cars are now automatic.
Had a look at some imprezas as well but some of them look god awful in photos.

That said i wouldn't be opposed to getting a commodore/mazda 6 size car either.

Fredescu

Renault Clio? Easy to get a manual. Five year warranty. They're small though. Megane if you want something Mazda 3 sized. You could get a new base model Skoda Octavia in manual for that money too. Five year factory warranty is in option with those I believe.

Just some options to think about outside the usual 3/Corolla/Golf/i30 suggestions.

Shaneus

Girlfriend has a 2012(ish) Mazda 3 and it's solid as shit. Very easy to drive, biggest issue I have with it is the pillars block quite a considerable amount of view when doing head-checks.

I'd also chime in on the gen 4 (2003-2009) Subaru Liberty. Hell, if I had my way it's going to be my next car.

Been looking at some corolla's and mazda 3s. I don't know when it happened but for some reason all the cars are now automatic.
Had a look at some imprezas as well but some of them look god awful in photos.

That said i wouldn't be opposed to getting a commodore/mazda 6 size car either.

you could probably really easily find a recent commodore sedan in that price range (almost none are manuals and you really don't need it in those, maybe some of the SS models or HSV versions- they'll be out of your budget). Commodores are larger than a Mazda 6. Commodores will be really cheap to insure a compared to a Mazda. Most commodores will have been in fleets or company cars so there's that to worry about. For a 20K limit, I'd be looking at a second hand Mazda 3 (I still have a 2005 Mazda 3 SP23) though go mid 20's and you can have a decent spec new one- definitely work that extra.

I just had a bad experience with my first car so I've bought new ever since.

Subaru's are pretty long lasting though expensive to maintain- that is they do last well but the inevitable wear and tear items aren't as cheap as a Commodore.

So what's most important: space, driving, handling, slow/lots of rain, manual, commuting, highway driving, reliability, longevity?

Girlfriend has a 2012(ish) Mazda 3 and it's solid as shit. Very easy to drive, biggest issue I have with it is the pillars block quite a considerable amount of view when doing head-checks.

I'd also chime in on the gen 4 (2003-2009) Subaru Liberty. Hell, if I had my way it's going to be my next car.

I agree with Shaneus since I've had both of these in my driveway at some point (the Mazda's the earlier gen, but same issue)

Omikron

We have a Mazda 3 (sedan), has seemed particularly solid. Even fits 3 kids seats across the back more amazingly.

Still holding onto my MR2. Wonder how long before that turns into a people mover.

Ventron

So guys, remember how I mentioned I got back into game development again?

It's a dodgeball-bullet-hell multiplayer game called Lupinball. I was going to be in the Indie Pavilion, then I found out I won a spot in the PAX Indie Showcase.

http://www.paxaustralia.com.au/ais#lupinball

I honestly didn't expect that. I'm currently stuck at my day job, only working on the game at nights in my kitchen, and haven't yet formed a good PR plan yet. I'm so unprepared. But I'll see you all at PAX I guess!

Awesome news Ventron! Looking forward to seeing you this year!

I've always wanted a 2004 Mazda3. This one in particular. I think it looks great, better than any car currently on the market.

1920px-2004-2006_Mazda_3_%28BK%29_SP23_sedan_01.jpg

MoonGred

Soo much love for a mazda 3 from ausgaf. I'd most likely be looking at the hatch variant.
Is Holden reliable?
How is insurance calculated in Australia? What really killed the gt 86 for me was the $132 a month on comp insurance, this struck me as fairly high as I'm nearly 26 and it only has a 2L engine.
Saw a gorgeous mazda 3 sp25 from a dealer but didn't even bother calling because I figured the insurance would be through the roof.

Fredescu

How is insurance calculated in Australia?

Dartboard. Get quotes from as many different providers as possible. The exact same details will result in wildly different quotes. Then you'll decide on a different model and the provider that was highest is now lowest and vice versa.

Get quotes every year by the way. Often your first years premium is a "honeymoon" rate even if they don't specifically say so, and the next year they bump it up a bit and rely on your laziness to just renew.

Stackboy

I bought a 2014 Mazda 3, it's pretty good.

I don't know much about cars though.

I think Just Cause 3 is my most anticipated game this year.

Soo much love for a mazda 3 from ausgaf. I'd most likely be looking at the hatch variant.
Is Holden reliable?
How is insurance calculated in Australia? What really killed the gt 86 for me was the $132 a month on comp insurance, this struck me as fairly high as I'm nearly 26 and it only has a 2L engine.
Saw a gorgeous mazda 3 sp25 from a dealer but didn't even bother calling because I figured the insurance would be through the roof.

Depends on what rating you are now. Rating one means you'll get the lowest premium, but you'll have had to be insured without major bingles for a few years. Rating one is the maximum discount on the standard premium. It also means how long you've been insured for in Australia (i'm guessing they don't cover OS driving experience- when I moved to the US, my rating one/twenty years of no accidents meant nothing and it cost me US$2500 annually to insure my Mazda CX5. Now I'm back here, If I was to get the same car it'd be closer to $800.

A commodore or falcon (camry too)? will be cheaper to insure than pretty much any imported car because they're cheaper to repair (apparently), especially if you don't have a long driving/insurance history here.

MoonGred

Depends on what rating you are now. Rating one means you'll get the lowest premium, but you'll have had to be insured without major bingles for a few years. Rating one is the maximum discount on the standard premium. It also means how long you've been insured for in Australia (i'm guessing they don't cover OS driving experience- when I moved to the US, my rating one/twenty years of no accidents meant nothing and it cost me US$2500 annually to insure my Mazda CX5. Now I'm back here, If I was to get the same car it'd be closer to $800.

A commodore or falcon (camry too)? will be cheaper to insure than pretty much any imported car because they're cheaper to repair (apparently), especially if you don't have a long driving/insurance history here.

I've been driving in Australia for about 4 years now, all without any accidents, so that should hopefully do something.
Currently I'm paying $23 a month for my 96 civic, so good haha.

Called Volkswagen Ballarat to find out about a standard golf with a manual gearbox, didn't have any so the guy tried selling me a brand new Gti...

Fredescu

Depending on the insurance company, changing your rating can have a negligible effect on your quote compared to suburb, age, car type. Which is why I said dartboard. They all have their own risk algorithm which spits out bizarrely different results. Don't trust loyalty bonuses either, they're often a crock of shit.

So people are telling me I should buy a mazda 3 for my first car.

Ok then.

yeah, love Mazdas. The 3 is really well priced in Australia.

I maaaay be getting a new car later this year and it's probably down to another Mazda 3 or a CX3. I am tempted by a Mini for something different.

Clive you should get a hsv commodore

nope, if i ever get another rear drive car it will be a 86/BRZ, MX5 or a BMW.

AWD (preferred) or FWD for me.

I did the Great Ocean Road trip in 2009 and we rented a car, we got a Falcon G6 or G6E (which was fairly high spec- used to be known as Fairmont). It felt like a barge and not all that much fun to drive over twisty roads. I've driven the Toyota Aurion over some distances and that thing is really nice.

senahorse

So guys, remember how I mentioned I got back into game development again?

It's a dodgeball-bullet-hell multiplayer game called Lupinball. I was going to be in the Indie Pavilion, then I found out I won a spot in the PAX Indie Showcase.

http://www.paxaustralia.com.au/ais#lupinball

I honestly didn't expect that. I'm currently stuck at my day job, only working on the game at nights in my kitchen, and haven't yet formed a good PR plan yet. I'm so unprepared. But I'll see you all at PAX I guess!

Congrats, nice way for your game to get some exposure, looks fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom