• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caramello

I find the Mitsubishi Lancer to be a nicer car than the Mazda 3 but that's just personal preference. I recommend you find one close by that you can take for a test drive.

Danoss

Depending on the insurance company, changing your rating can have a negligible effect on your quote compared to suburb, age, car type. Which is why I said dartboard. They all have their own risk algorithm which spits out bizarrely different results. Don't trust loyalty bonuses either, they're often a crock of shit.

Yep, it all depends on their actuarial data, which varies amongst the different insurers. You'll notice as years go on that different questions may appear on quotation forms, which are initially to gather more data so it may be determined if there is statistical relevance. If there is, expect the question to remain and for premiums to be adjusted accordingly.

The Youi insurance ads I see are pretty funny because of this. They advertise that it is to your benefit because they "customise" their insurance to the needs of the individual. ALL insurers do this, but it certainly isn't for your benefit. I understand that this insurer in particular doesn't have as widely varying premiums as they advertise—which I wanted to verify but they want a valid mobile number verified by sending a PIN to complete the quote. I'll keep my mobile number out of the hands of list vendors, thanks Youi. This is probably an effort to also hamstring quote aggregation sites.

On an unrelated note, have you gotten your hands on the Grandmother Fish PDF? Looks like it became available to backers yesterday.

Fredescu

You'll notice as years go on that different questions may appear on quotation forms, which are initially to gather more data so it may be determined if there is statistical relevance.

And certain other methods to gather additional data: http://www.qbe.com.au/Personal/Insurance-Box/Insurance.html

The Youi insurance ads I see are pretty funny because of this.

I've had a couple of Youi quotes and they've always been at the high end. They're annoying to get quotes from because there is no online generator, so you always have to talk to a person who is no doubt on a commission as you get some fairly annoying sales tactics.

On an unrelated note, have you gotten your hands on the Grandmother Fish PDF? Looks like it became available to backers yesterday.

Wow, I didn't even notice the email. Thanks for letting me know, I've just downloaded it. Do you want me to send it to you?

Rep, Omi, want the PDF of that book we backed?

Danoss

And certain other methods to gather additional data: http://www.qbe.com.au/Personal/Insurance-Box/Insurance.html

Holy crap, I didn't know they did such things. The advantages to this are so very one-sided.

I've had a couple of Youi quotes and they've always been at the high end. They're annoying to get quotes from because there is no online generator, so you always have to talk to a person who is no doubt on a commission as you get some fairly annoying sales tactics.

I'm not surprised to hear that. Their online quote thing is crap, I'm saying that when I only got up to the ‘give us your mobile number or call us, no alternatives’ step. The Youi Wall is pretty funny though. Here's one:

non stop calls from youi....
Stop calling me .... you are a nuisance ...and are not the cheapest insurance ... you trap people into giving their phone numbers just to get a "online" quote ..... so stop calling me

This one's not that funny, but somewhat expected given the mandatory mobile number field. I can imagine the "helpful" phone calls you'd receive if you didn't follow through after the quote.

Wow, I didn't even notice the email. Thanks for letting me know, I've just downloaded it. Do you want me to send it to you?

Yes, please. If it's possible to email: GAF username at GAF username dot net.

Abyssmal

Neo Member
Hitachi drives are the way to go these days. We sell WDs at work and I see too many of them fail to bother with them along with seagates.

I've got 3x 3TB Hitachi's in my server, Been running for years now with no issues.

Also - https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

I should think these drives wouldn't fail, they're all twice the price as most of the others. Cookie, I'm looking to grab a 2TB drive for the build. Can you recommend a model ?

Anyone got a notification that they can upgrade to Windows 10 yet?

I haven't. But I'm kinda excited to see what's new. But I am quite wary of compatibility issues right off the bat, I dunno if I would still be able to use all my shit right away. Or am I just worried for nothing ?

On an unrelated note, Anyone here still play SCII ? I just got into the LotV beta and I wanna play with people :D

hamchan

I should think these drives wouldn't fail, they're all twice the price as most of the others. Cookie, I'm looking to grab a 2TB drive for the build. Can you recommend a model ?

I haven't. But I'm kinda excited to see what's new. But I am quite wary of compatibility issues right off the bat, I dunno if I would still be able to use all my shit right away. Or am I just worried for nothing ?

On an unrelated note, Anyone here still play SCII ? I just got into the LotV beta and I wanna play with people :D

I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 the day of because of the excitement of something new, but the real safe option would be to wait a month for them to find and fix any major bugs.

quabba

Been looking at some corolla's and mazda 3s. I don't know when it happened but for some reason all the cars are now automatic.
Had a look at some imprezas as well but some of them look god awful in photos.

That said i wouldn't be opposed to getting a commodore/mazda 6 size car either.

I have an impreza and I'd recommend it. I agree some of the models dont look good but I like mine. It's a 3 year old sedan.

I had a corolla as my first car and well, it didn't have any problems over the 12 years I had it, the difference going from it to AWD on the impreza was night and day, especially on any kind of wet road.

When did Goodesey date Blake Lively? Seriously that is a doppleganger if I've ever seen one.

Also that author has the same name as the awful EB manager! I got to the end and was like "What the heck, where have I seen that name before?"

That Buzzfeed also isn't the same Buzzfeed that everyone makes fun off. It's a weird situation!

Fredescu

Also that author has the same name as the awful EB manager! I got to the end and was like "What the heck, where have I seen that name before?"

Yep, he's actually pretty awesome in terms of easily digestible political news, so I'd been following him for a while before the EB thing blew up. It was a little confusing at first.

That Buzzfeed also isn't the same Buzzfeed that everyone makes fun off. It's a weird situation!

I mean, it's the same company and website right? It just happens that they decided to do real Australian political coverage. Their coverage is pretty good for what it is too.

He seems like a pretty swell guy. First head of him in 2013 from hosting a music podcast of all things.

He's also the guy who started all that Triple J Hottest 100 and taylor swift nonsense

I mean, it's the same company and website right? It just happens that they decided to do real Australian political coverage. Their coverage is pretty good for what it is too.

Same company but run locally. I recall them making a big deal out of the operations here deciding what content goes up for us.

MoonGred

I have an impreza and I'd recommend it. I agree some of the models dont look good but I like mine. It's a 3 year old sedan.

I had a corolla as my first car and well, it didn't have any problems over the 12 years I had it, the difference going from it to AWD on the impreza was night and day, especially on any kind of wet road.

The problem I have with imprezas is that I'd want a wrx which costs a fortune to insure.

Bernbaum

Have had a last minute appointment to Sydney for Friday. I'll be floating around the city for a few hours before coming back to Bris - what to do?

Dryk

Which boardgame should I buy next AusGAF? I think it's time to start getting some slightly heavier games now that my light games section is more padded out.

I'm waiting for the whole season is out to get it. Pumped to play it.
Me too, though it's been hard listening to people rave about it

Which boardgame should I buy next AusGAF? I think it's time to start getting some slightly heavier games now that my light games section is more padded out.

Me too, though it's been hard listening to people rave about it

It's killing me, because I liked the look of it from the first episode.

Vormund

Soo much love for a mazda 3 from ausgaf. I'd most likely be looking at the hatch variant.
Is Holden reliable?
How is insurance calculated in Australia? What really killed the gt 86 for me was the $132 a month on comp insurance, this struck me as fairly high as I'm nearly 26 and it only has a 2L engine.
Saw a gorgeous mazda 3 sp25 from a dealer but didn't even bother calling because I figured the insurance would be through the roof.

The insurance on my gt86 varied wildly. From around $800 a year (RAA) to over $3000! (shannons)

I am an old bugger though (35)

Cerity

I've gone through the motions for all 3 today, thank fuck for those ESD files being downloadable.

Even better now with the 10 media creation tool.

allow a loooot of time for that. They set new standards for bureaucratic pedantry.

You go through a security check on one floor and you've have to check in any bags and electronics. Then get in a lift and go op to another floor and wait your turn with nothing to do but stare at the roof until its your turn. No toilets so if you need to go, you need to leave the consulate to find a toilet, then go through all the security checks again.

We had issues where their printer fucked up so we had to wait hours longer than we expected (the former mrs pwned had to go back to the hotel to get our bags since we missed checkout). Then two pieces of our documentation tripped us up (this was for Diversity Visa- green card lottery so what they asked for is likely different than work visa- we had to get a medical check up and make sure all our innoculations were up to date and a police check). We didn't have the legal marriage certificate (we had the fancy one which isn't a legal document) and my brand new unused passport didn't have my middle name in it and because it differed from my birth certificate (yes the immigration service of the country that changed so many European migrants surnames when they arrived at Ellis Island couldn't handle me missing a middle name), I had to get another brand new passport with my middle name restored and send both docs in the post to the consulate (all this has to be done in Sydney since other consulates in Aus don't do this). It all worked out, it's just a really tense atmosphere because its so easy for them to find fault with something.

again, this may or may not apply to a wok visa: You also have to provide them with an address in the US to send your visa and social security number there and then. you might get lucky if your employers are handling all that but it's really handy to have an address sorted before you rock up, just in case.

If you're really unlucky, they will make you use some shitty website before you leave (I can't even remember why) where you need to enter in an alien number into a field. this is actually an intelligence test since it expects a certain number of digits, but the number they give you doesn't have enough digits so you have to add 0's at the start.

And then when you arrive, you are supposed to use the same website (that needs about 5 passwords) to tell them your address (and every time you change address you are supposed to update it). The fun part is that it won't let you use a previous address outside of the US or a hotel or commercial premises.

I don't know about Texas but I was in Washington state and I had to get a driver's license from scratch. And as i posed earlier in the car discussion, my car insurance rates where what a 16 year olds would have been since driving history meant jack. I also had to get a secured credit card just to build up a credit score (ie a card where I had to place a deposit with the bank- the amount I wanted for a credit limit).

If you want to move money you earn back to your bank accounts here, I seriously recommend signing up with these guys BEFORE you leave. its a bit of dicking around to set up, but its 10 times more dicking around if you try to do it over there. You need to start looking for notary publics instead of a JP.

http://www.xe.com/currencytransfers/

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Do you come via 7 or 8/8.1?

On my personal laptop I've used 7 since I got it in April 2012.
I've used 8 at work.

It's better than 8, but it'll take a while to get used to it.

I don't really like how it appears to be installing some shit in secret.

Bernbaum

allow a loooot of time for that. They set new standards for bureaucratic pedantry.

You go through a security check on one floor and you've have to check in any bags and electronics. Then get in a lift and go op to another floor and wait your turn with nothing to do but stare at the roof until its your turn. No toilets so if you need to go, you need to leave the consulate to find a toilet, then go through all the security checks again.

We had issues where their printer fucked up so we had to wait hours longer than we expected (the former mrs pwned had to go back to the hotel to get our bags since we missed checkout). Then two pieces of our documentation tripped us up (this was for Diversity Visa- green card lottery so what they asked for is likely different than work visa- we had to get a medical check up and make sure all our innoculations were up to date and a police check). We didn't have the legal marriage certificate (we had the fancy one which isn't a legal document) and my brand new unused passport didn't have my middle name in it and because it differed from my birth certificate (yes the immigration service of the country that changed so many European migrants surnames when they arrived at Ellis Island couldn't handle me missing a middle name), I had to get another brand new passport with my middle name restored and send both docs in the post to the consulate (all this has to be done in Sydney since other consulates in Aus don't do this). It all worked out, it's just a really tense atmosphere because its so easy for them to find fault with something.

again, this may or may not apply to a wok visa: You also have to provide them with an address in the US to send your visa and social security number there and then. you might get lucky if your employers are handling all that but it's really handy to have an address sorted before you rock up, just in case.

If you're really unlucky, they will make you use some shitty website before you leave (I can't even remember why) where you need to enter in an alien number into a field. this is actually an intelligence test since it expects a certain number of digits, but the number they give you doesn't have enough digits so you have to add 0's at the start.

And then when you arrive, you are supposed to use the same website (that needs about 5 passwords) to tell them your address (and every time you change address you are supposed to update it). The fun part is that it won't let you use a previous address outside of the US or a hotel or commercial premises.

I don't know about Texas but I was in Washington state and I had to get a driver's license from scratch. And as i posed earlier in the car discussion, my car insurance rates where what a 16 year olds would have been since driving history meant jack. I also had to get a secured credit card just to build up a credit score (ie a card where I had to place a deposit with the bank- the amount I wanted for a credit limit).

If you want to move money you earn back to your bank accounts here, I seriously recommend signing up with these guys BEFORE you leave. its a bit of dicking around to set up, but its 10 times more dicking around if you try to do it over there. You need to start looking for notary publics instead of a JP.

http://www.xe.com/currencytransfers/
Thanks for the guidance. My employer has contracted a firm to do all the paper work, and I have a checklist of stuff I need to show up with - largely contracts prepare by the firm. I'm not saying it'll be hassle-free, but a lot I the bullshit has been handled already.

Thanks for the guidance. My employer has contracted a firm to do all the paper work, and I have a checklist of stuff I need to show up with - largely contracts prepare by the firm. I'm not saying it'll be hassle-free, but a lot I the bullshit has been handled already.

godspeed.

Danoss

Thanks, Fred!

I always have a read through the names of books I back to see if there are others I recognise. With Jonathan Tweet being the author, it was no surprise to see RPG industry names amongst them. The same goes for a few people I know/know of from some roleplaying circles.

It was cool to see the kids' names in the book as I read through them all. I bet they'll get a kick out of seeing it there. I blanked on rep's family name, but then I saw it hanging out nearby someone who writes some cool Lovecraftian stuff and churned out an awesome podcast on his works.

It's written very well and has a touch of Richard Scarry-like extras that add extra bits of interest and engagement. The art is wonderful in every way.

I'm gonna hang out with Cousin Gibbon for a bit.

Thanks, Fred!

I always have a read through the names of books I back to see if there are others I recognise. With Jonathan Tweet being the author, it was no surprise to see RPG industry names amongst them. The same goes for a few people I know/know of from some roleplaying circles.

It was cool to see the kids' names in the book as I read through them all. I bet they'll get a kick out of seeing it there. I blanked on rep's family name, but then I saw it hanging out nearby someone who writes some cool Lovecraftian stuff and churned out an awesome podcast on his works.

It's written very well and has a touch of Richard Scarry-like extras that add extra bits of interest and engagement. The art is wonderful in every way.

I'm gonna hang out with Cousin Gibbon for a bit.

Yeah the art is top notch, would love to see a more indepth, longer book using the same art style.

It's a good jumping off point to have a conversation about evolution, I was expecting a bit more to it though. The stuff at the back is fantastic and I know it'll get a lot of use.

Thanks guys again.

quabba

Does anyone know where I could pick up a Gameboy Micro from cheap? EBay was... Not cheap...

Had a whim to play some GBA games earlier in the week so I pulled out my ds lite and found the top screen was damaged, once I realised I could set the ds to play gba games on the bottom screen it got me thinking it would be cool to play on original hardware and ive never used a micro before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom