• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

Oh god tactics ogre is too much. Levels for skills and learning to use weapons and oh how did this get here I am not good with strategy
Yeah it's pretty intense, that's why it's awesome! :D

I think once you get your head around all the micro-managing it's not too hard to understand skills and stuff. The best advice I can give (and probably anyone else would give) is to have at least 2 archers on your team cos they're super powerful!

Yagharek

Yeah it's pretty intense, that's why it's awesome! :D

I think once you get your head around all the micro-managing it's not too hard to understand skills and stuff. The best advice I can give (and probably anyone else would give) is to have at least 2 archers on your team cos they're super powerful!

Noted.

I guess if Ive gotten this bit clear it might be helpful:

1. Character classes level up each battle
2. When level classes reach a certain level they can learn new skills (i.e. dark magic)
3. When your class level is high enough you can then learn spells within that category

So the natural implication I can infer from that is that you need to have as diverse a lineup as possible?

MoonGred

So I get home and there's a red mazda 3 in front of the door, turns out the missus convinced the dealer to leave the car overnight so I could test drive it.
It's such an upgrade over my old civic.
It's the 2010 sp25 model with 34k km on the odometer, and would come down to $19990, which is about what I want to spend, well it would have to be through finance as my savings have gone to our house. Is it weird that I feel anxious about it all.

trinest

So I get home and there's a red mazda 3 in front of the door, turns out the missus convinced the dealer to leave the car overnight so I could test drive it.
It's the 2010 sp25 model with 34k km on the odometer, and would come down to $19990, which is about what I want to spend, well it would have to be through finance as my savings have gone to our house. Is it weird that I feel anxious about it all.

2010 model is nice and all, but drive this years model, it is like sex. I imagine.

Deeku

Noted.

I guess if Ive gotten this bit clear it might be helpful:

1. Character classes level up each battle
2. When level classes reach a certain level they can learn new skills (i.e. dark magic)
3. When your class level is high enough you can then learn spells within that category

So the natural implication I can infer from that is that you need to have as diverse a lineup as possible?
Ok so this is from my experience with the game (and off the top of my head), so I might be wrong cos I'm no expert!

1. Yep, simple.
2. Kind of. You have to buy skills with the points you earn. But by levelling up your class, it opens up better skills for you to buy.
3. Not really. So when you buy a magic skill (e.g. Dark magic), you can go purchase spells from the shop and use them straight away (cos you have the skill!). I would go for status spells (e.g. Charm, poison etc) cos they're really useful compared just raw damage spells.

I think early on you're kind of restricted in how many members you can have on the field, so you don't need to worry to much about party composition. Umm..knights are pretty good cos they're tanks and can heal. Magic is helpful for inflicting status stuff. Melee is melee. And ranged is pretty overpowered hence 2 archers.

Edit:
Ok I went and booted up my save, now you've done it! lol

The above should be ok. Some more tips:
-Skills themselves also level! lol So yeah, for weapons it's a good idea to stick with just one weapon skill so you can focus all the exp on ranking up that particular skill.
-Crafting is pretty good cos you can make +1 equipment which is better than +nothing!
-Depending on how anal you are about recruiting all the recruitable characters, you might wan a look at a faq cos some characters require specific steps/ dialogue trees etc.
-I had 4 archers lol!

Man this game was so good! Really wish I had the patience/time to go through all the post game content.

Yagharek

Regarding point 2 I have bought some dark magic spells and my wizard has the dm skill, but it won't let him learn it due to lack of experience?

Deeku

Oh shit, I was wrong. The spells have a lvl number next to them on the info panel. I think that would be class level required. So you gotta level up to use it.

Yagharek

Yeah thanks for checking I appreciate it.

This could be a good test of my addictive nature. Haven't been brave to try it since the last fire emblem.

Deeku

It might start off tough cos you're trying to figure out everything, but stick with it! The story is pretty legit considering when this game was originally released. The in game systems might seem a little dated and clunky but the gameplay definitely holds up.

N0VAM0D

Has anyone from Newcastle gone to the Strike to play bowling/pool/karaoke/laser tag? And gotten tipsy there? Highly recommended. I'm totally gonna take some more friends there tomorrow night. An interesting, fun alternative to going out clubbing.

All good for me so far! There's actually a perceivable performance improvement going from Windows 7 to 10, I'd highly recommend it. :)

Btw: Hi ausgaf. I'm new.

Hi! Where are you from?

Deeku

basically anything is a better alt to clubbing. tho dipping a toe in every now and then for a friend's bday or something is not too bad.

If you go clubbing, make sure you dig the tunes, even if it's daggy or the age group is a bit different. Me and my group are in the younger group at Retro in Melbourne but I enjoy 80s, 90s and early 2000s pop way more than I'd enjoy any other bullshit.

Spinifex

Normally I'd say I like the idea of them but I don't really get why they're such a huge thing.

But it's Friday and I have a long weekend ahead so Fuck yes I like them they're best thing ever!

Shaneus

That seems like it might be a little much for that year, but super low k's are a good sign it hasn't been caned. From memory I think Fusebox owned an SP25 of around that vintage, might be worth checking in with him (if he's around!).

MoonGred

That seems like it might be a little much for that year, but super low k's are a good sign it hasn't been caned. From memory I think Fusebox owned an SP25 of around that vintage, might be worth checking in with him (if he's around!).

I just checked and its from 2011,my bad. The previous owner was an old lady who sold the car because she got her hip replaced and needed a higher car.
Really surprised about the actual ride, it's so quiet and smooth to my current one.

If the car has Bluetooth for phone does it also mean that you can playback music over it?

Cerity

Jesus. You can gut those and use the storage in anything, yes? But no warranty? I assume that's a 3.5" drive?

looks like a 3.5". iirc the drives that are sold as externals actually have different model numbers, so if you gut them you lose warranty.

Mission Impossible tonight, should be fun :)
Awesome movie, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. There was one scene (shown briefly in trailers) where they went unnecessarily over the top with a CG stunt - and it ended up looking comical rather than scary - but otherwise it was very hard to fault.

senahorse

Awesome movie, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. There was one scene (shown briefly in trailers) where they went unnecessarily over the top with a CG stunt - and it ended up looking comical rather than scary - but otherwise it was very hard to fault.

Can't wait, we have had some great action movies this year.

Gazunta

Shaneus, I'm mailing you something today but it occured to me that you were house hunting and may have moved - is your address listed in your Patreon account the same?

AUSGAF - I made a new comic book. I want to hassle your local comic book shops to carry it. What comic book shops do you go to?

Dryk

AUSGAF - I made a new comic book. I want to hassle your local comic book shops to carry it. What comic book shops do you go to?
The local comic book shop in Adelaide is Pulp Fiction I guess. I think there's another one but nobody ever remembers it.

I don't usually buy comics but I need to scope them out because I want to buy Hawkguy

Jesus. You can gut those and use the storage in anything, yes? But no warranty? I assume that's a 3.5" drive?

It'll be 3.5 at that capacity yeah. I assume warranty would be fine if you stick it back in the enclosure, I usually reuse the enclosure to store the old drive I take out of the PC as a backup.

RingwoodGAF: anyone free for some boardgames on August 8th? lunch-ish to late-ish?
I have something on the 15th which will likely be moved to the 8th. So nope. :(

But I'll almost certainly be free one of either the 8th or 15th, probably more likely the 15th now...

senahorse

Shaneus, I'm mailing you something today but it occured to me that you were house hunting and may have moved - is your address listed in your Patreon account the same?

When I was a boy I used to go to Comics Etc and Daily Planet, do they even exist anymore?

Gazunta

Thanks Dryk, I'll hit them up.

And yep Parity Comics Etc and Daily Planet are still around! Etc just had a major refurbishment that I'm excited to be checking out tomorrow.

Keep the suggestions coming folks. I'll give a shout out to Junkys Comics in West End, it's only been open for like two months but it's just absolutely lovely. Every time I go in there I end up buying something I didn't know I needed. :p

senahorse

My mistake- Edward not Elizabeth. It eventually moved to behind Hoyts but it used to be in a basement on Edward Street across from Macarthur Place. it only sold comics.

Not sure if I remember that one, though I was only allowed to go in to the city by myself at 13, in 89 and only regularly did so in the early 90's so if before then I wouldn't have had a chance. Also I remember there were a lot more independent game stores in that era. You had one upstairs in the Myer Centre, the huge Games R Us in the Mall (with a massive wall filled with PC games), that one downstairs besides Hungry Jacks, also a time of Greater Union cinema dominance and Las Vegas 20c arcade games (once I was given free reign of that place as the owner's son wanted me to co-op everything with him). The city feels so boring by comparison now :(

/crying *puts Wham back on*

r1chard

I have something on the 15th which will likely be moved to the 8th. So nope. :(

But I'll almost certainly be free one of either the 8th or 15th, probably more likely the 15th now...
15th is no good for me, I'm really only free on the 8th, 22nd - basically every other Saturday ;)

Gazunta

Games R Us in the mall was fucking ace. I spent many an hour there going through all the latest releases, getting recommendations from the staff, and finding out how much Atari screwed everyone. I'll always be thankful for the guy there who insisted I buy The Secret Of Monkey Island, he said it would only last me a weekend but I'd love every minute of it. Best $30 I spent.

The place was never the same once they stopped selling C64 games ><

Edit: Too late Shaneus I've sent your comic already bwahaha

N0VAM0D

basically anything is a better alt to clubbing. tho dipping a toe in every now and then for a friend's bday or something is not too bad.

Agreed! Every now and then is best.

If you go clubbing, make sure you dig the tunes, even if it's daggy or the age group is a bit different. Me and my group are in the younger group at Retro in Melbourne but I enjoy 80s, 90s and early 2000s pop way more than I'd enjoy any other bullshit.

Yup, just gotta let go and have a good time.

Mission Impossible tonight, should be fun :)

I really wanna see it too! I haven't seen the other films though, so I wanna get through those first.

There's one in Newcastle called Graphic Action, try contacting them! They're pretty chill from what I've seen.

Danoss

This week's The Genius had me pulling my hair out. It was entertaining and enjoyable, but some decisions made were questionable.

At first, Jungmoon's failure to recall ~30 decimal places of pi seemed oddly convenient, but could've been a red herring attributable to situational stress or editing. There were better ways to go about playing a rebel than simply "forgetting" numbers, especially given turn order was known for the first round. Not knowing who will be imprisoned after this point makes it difficult, but a reasonable 36 decimal places would have been used and the rebels could have plausibly been given numbers that push the numbers higher without raising suspicion.

Like Dongmin, alarm bells started ringing for me after she mentioned making her the final king. So early in the game, no one has a good reason to ask for that. Even a person who had the complete trust of everyone would likely lose it by proposing such a thing.

While these earlier mistakes were bad enough, the worst was yet to come. When Dongmin applied just the slightest bit of pressure to Jungmoon, she completely buckled and offered to give the names of her fellow rebels. She might be a certified genius able to reproduce pi to 70 decimal places from memory, but counting to 2 seemed to be a challenge. There is no advantage in volunteering your rebel status and then pointing the figure at another when one rebel has already been caught. Loyalists need to find 2 rebels to win, why give them the second one on a silver platter?

With the only evidence against you being a request to be the final king, that's no reason to cave. It's the only way to gain 100% guaranteed immunity. Sure, it's a very suspicious thing to ask for under the rules of the game, but it's not damning. The best thing is still to DENY, DENY, DENY! Point to the recollection of pi being accurate when it could have been fudged and a rebel would. Say you weren't thinking that it could have been suspicious, you just wanted a reward for helping the group. Anything except admitting you're the enemy in the face of circumstantial evidence against you.

Yoohyun had to make an obvious rebel play before everyone turned on him after being super secretive where the only explanation for that behaviour is that he's a rebel. Even then he didn't admit the very obvious fact—he's no fool. Kyungrun had many people convinced to the very end that she wasn't a rebel. They both knew there's no way anyone could be 100% certain that anyone is a rebel unless they admit it; no sensible loyalist would, because if they're believed, they lose.

Dongmin made the wrong call in the end. I understand why he made it and I respect it, but it was wrong (if viewing this game on its own). He is incredibly insightful and confident in this ability, which got his team over the line. Jungmoon has burnt her bridges while Dongmin's remain intact. I'm sure he feels that he would've been worse than her if he sent her to jail because he promised not to, whereas Jungmoon made no such promise to her team members.

Sad to see Yoohyun go. I liked him. He made the best possible team play out of all of them. Kyungrun wasn't given much of a chance, though there's no question to her integrity, it is Kyungrun. Jungmoon did literally nothing to help her team. Nothing. In fact she gave the other team ammunition with which to attack them with. Twice. This was one of those ‘ugly victories and beautiful defeats’.

I do like Jungmoon, her weakness is just too big and easy to exploit—if it's not presented willingly. It's interesting that a significant proportion of the incredibly intelligent players (IQ-wise) are hamstrung by the social aspect of these games. Hyunmin is the notable exception, but he's very different from the likes of Dongmin and Sangmin.

Lastly, Indian Poker is still horrendously flawed. Chips from a draw should not carry over to the next hand. What's clever about luck-of-the-draw? Yoohyun didn't make a bad bet when he went all in—he didn't win, but he didn't lose either. Return the chips and play the next hand. Once the betting is removed, there's no strategy or skill available to either player. After Kyungrun's card was dealt, it was obvious to Yoohyun that a coin-flip would've offered him better odds.

Well done to Kyungrun, especially since she intentionally left those games in. It's a gamble in itself, but there's always that self-imposed pressure applied by the opponent when they're in a situation they should walk away as the victor. So far this season, this has worked out 3–0 in favour of the underdog.

Apologies to others who have no interest in this for the large bar graph.

Gazunta

Thanks Nova, I've just shot them an email.

Also big thanks to Capcom and Sony for botching the SFV Beta so I don't feel bad about not owning a PS4 yet ><

Edit: Ventron: Will hopefully be at the Go thingiemajiggie but that will depend on my having a car or not :p

This week's The Genius had me pulling my hair out. It was entertaining and enjoyable, but some decisions made were questionable.
I should probably start watching the previous season, eh? I have the first few episodes, just haven't gotten around to starting it.

Shaneus

Same place :) This is good, gives me something to look forward to! Don't worry, everyone will know once I've moved!

Edit: So the early-bird AusPAX tickets close tonight, and I'm thinking I might go for a day. Which one would be best? I'd assume Saturday, but Really can't remember back to last year and which day was the most fun.
I spent all my time in the retro gaming area anyway. Which I don't even know if they'll have this year. Gaz? Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom