• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

The Retro gaming area is definitely on for sure. Cannot WAAAAIT.

This will be the first PAX where I'm not working during the show...
sort of
...so can't wait to have some fun and chill out with you guys!

Quasar

Shaneus, I'm mailing you something today but it occured to me that you were house hunting and may have moved - is your address listed in your Patreon account the same?

AUSGAF - I made a new comic book. I want to hassle your local comic book shops to carry it. What comic book shops do you go to?

Comixology :)

I think they accept indy stuff now.

Cerity

Aged south african dudes asking you if you know what the BBC is, is creepy as fuck.

Also how casually they throw the term around.

I think most developed countries know what BBC is, why's that creepy? Hell, I was brought up on a steady diet of BBC when I was a kid.

I think most cable providers even have a whole station dedicated to it, so you can get some BBC whenever you want!

Wow, nice first car. I bet you can park anything now.

they certainly are longggg
It was originally my dad's company car, then my mum's, then they kindly gave it to me as my first car when I got my P's. it guzzled fuel like tomorrow but I miss that thing. Oddly (or perhaps not?) I think I'd still feel more comfortable parking it than my new car or others.

This week's The Genius had me pulling my hair out. It was entertaining and enjoyable, but some decisions made were questionable.

Dongmin made the wrong call in the end. I understand why he made it and I respect it, but it was wrong (if viewing this game on its own).

What makes you say that?

Jungmoon obviously fucked up but I find it easy to understand her and under the pressure, in the moment, I think I wouldn't do it but could come very close to.

Lastly, Indian Poker is still horrendously flawed. Chips from a draw should not carry over to the next hand. What's clever about luck-of-the-draw? Yoohyun didn't make a bad bet when he went all in—he didn't win, but he didn't lose either. Return the chips and play the next hand. Once the betting is removed, there's no strategy or skill available to either player. After Kyungrun's card was dealt, it was obvious to Yoohyun that a coin-flip would've offered him better odds.

Yeah seriously. It was frustrating when that knocked Jinho out and here it happened again. ffs

I should probably start watching the previous season, eh? I have the first few episodes, just haven't gotten around to starting it.

You should! I don't think it's ever going to be as great as Season 1, it was best when everything was fresh, but Season 3 is more enjoyable than Season 2 and lots of great cast members.

AusGAF what is the most best way to fix a broken iPhone screen?

dunno if it's the best way but there's usually a place in your local shopping centre that will do it, quickly and easy enough. If you know someone who's done it before near you it could help you find the cheaper places. I don't have an iPhone so I'm no expert but I think some of those places might not use the right glass too? not sure

Ventron

The Retro gaming area is definitely on for sure. Cannot WAAAAIT.

This will be the first PAX where I'm not working during the show...
sort of
...so can't wait to have some fun and chill out with you guys!

This will be the first PAX where I am working! I hope I get a bit of time to hang out in the retro area, I loved that place (but got a little startled when I saw a Gamecube there last year, is this what getting old feels like?)

Shaneus, I'm mailing you something today but it occured to me that you were house hunting and may have moved - is your address listed in your Patreon account the same?

AUSGAF - I made a new comic book. I want to hassle your local comic book shops to carry it. What comic book shops do you go to?

I don't go to any, but Minotaur is what you want for Melbourne.

hidys

No, you have to reverse the process and throw it at the sky.

It is a well known fact that iPhones come from heaven so I could see this working.

Anyway thanks for some of the responses guys. I'll probably just have to take it to a third party fixer.

Installed Windows 10. Um, wow. I really like it. Edge is really slick, reminds me of that Vivaldi (?) browser. Give me adblock and FrankerFaceZ for Twitch and I could see myself swapping.

Cerity

Take your iphone to a third party but make sure you ask about the quality of the screens. Prices have gone up on most screens (4/4s/5/5s) but quality has gone completely bonkers, some batches are pretty much 1:1 with original apple but others are straight up pathetic.

Also tell them they're dreaming if they ask for over 100-120, unless it's a 6 or you've somehow bent the frame out of wack.

hidys

Take your iphone to a third party but make sure you ask about the quality of the screens. Prices have gone up on most screens (4/4s/5/5s) but quality has gone completely bonkers, some batches are pretty much 1:1 with original apple but others are straight up pathetic.

Also tell them they're dreaming if they ask for over 100-120, unless it's a 6 or you've somehow bent the frame out of wack.

It's a 6+ so it will no doubt cost me a fucking fortune.

Cerity

It's a 6+ so it will no doubt cost me a fucking fortune.

I'd say you'd be able to get it done for 150 or so. Though I'd be surprised if any places outside of the hyper busy ones would have them in stock.

Be sure to ask them if they're aware of the home button issue though, if they mess up your home button or completely swap it out with a new one say goodbye to ever restoring it.

Danoss

If anyone was having difficulty watching Ultima Lucha today, that was my fault. I forgot to do something, but it's fixed now.

I should probably start watching the previous season, eh? I have the first few episodes, just haven't gotten around to starting it.

You totally should! Season 3 was excellent. It's about as close as they could possibly get to the greatness of Season 1.

What makes you say that?

Jungmoon obviously fucked up but I find it easy to understand her and under the pressure, in the moment, I think I wouldn't do it but could come very close to.
[/spoiler]

Yoohyun was a rebel, so the loyalists were halfway to certain victory. Dongmin already suspected Kyungrun, but then smoked Jungmoon out later on to give the loyalists two out of three rebels. No more information needed; loyalists win.

The bargain with Jungmoon didn't need to be honoured. Youhyun was confirmed by sabotaging. Jungmoon admitted it. Choosing anyone besides these two reduces the chance of victory below 100% and is a suboptimal choice. Choosing Kyungrun was a gamble that Dongmin's instincts were right and/or that Jungmoon was truthful.

This is from the perspective that victory is the only goal and nothing else matters. Perhaps I should have emphasised this more. In the context of The Genius, I understand his choice and his reasoning is sound. If it was a one-off game and none of them knew each-other and would never see any of them ever again – it's Jungmoon every time.

Yrael

Are we Wii U friends? I can never keep track.

Also my family can never get me gifts that special for my birthday because I just go out and buy things myself :(

I don't think we are yet. I'll PM you my NNID.

And heh, more accurately, my mum gave me money, which I then spent on Splatoon. xD

Silentium

I believe the Apple Store is around $125 for iPhone 6 and $150 for iPhone 6+ (assuming it's just the screen that's damaged and the enclosure is fine). Just note that if you go for a mall-store job, Apple will decline all service in the future.

Dryk

Played Love Letter for the first time today, pretty fun! Also a Kickstarter game called Game Developerz which is also pretty fun but cutthroat and RNG as hell.

Wet Hot American Summer- first day of camp! on Netflix.

Well worth watching the movie again before you start (the series is a prequel to the movie with the same cast).

Well worth watching the movie again before you start (the series is a prequel to the movie with the same cast).

Yeah we watched the first 2 episodes and didn't get into it. Really feels like we are missing half of the picture without seeing the movie first.

Yeah we watched the first 2 episodes and didn't get into it. Really feels like we are missing half of the picture without seeing the movie first.

the ending to episode 2 will make you shit your pants if you've seen the film first
watch the film first, it's set on the last day of camp the same summer as the series is set.

Yeah, it's pretty great so far (3 or 4 episodes in). Nails the feel of the movie almost perfectly.

The only distracting thing for me is that they couldn't really get all the cast together, so seem to have pulled an Arrested Development. But it's good enough that I don't care.

I reset my laptop and only after I was done realised that I've misplaced my product key for Office 2013. Gosh darn it :mad:

Anyone know what I can do?

the clue is in this picture

me-with-pirate-maiden.jpg

Just kidding. How would a reset of a laptop lose your Office key?

Omni

Strange. Before I was only getting a 200GB allowance from Telstra each month, but I got an email saying that they've increased it to 500GB free of charge.

I'm shocked

the clue is in this picture

me-with-pirate-maiden.jpg

Just kidding. How would a reset of a laptop lose your Office key?
I reset, thinking "Oh yeah, the key is in the box on the shelf in my study", but then when it came time to reinstall, it turns out I misplaced it.

It's weird, because I also thought Microsoft already had my key associated with my Live account, but it turns out this wasn't the case. I'll have another look for it, but I hoped there was another way.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I reset, thinking "Oh yeah, the key is in the box on the shelf in my study", but then when it came time to reinstall, it turns out I misplaced it.

It's weird, because I also thought Microsoft already had my key associated with my Live account, but it turns out this wasn't the case. I'll have another look for it, but I hoped there was another way.

You didn't have a backup of your original OS install? Could pull the key from there if you had one.

Axiom

I saw Wet Hot American Summer for the first time yesterday and I genuinely thought it was one of the best movies I've ever seen.

I had no idea what to expect.

I see David Hyde Pierce is in it so I will watch it.

I was in a Big W today and a salesperson was talking someone out of buying a 2DS and saying to buy a 3DS, pointing to most of the games and saying they aren't compatible. When the salesperson had moved a bit away I told the customer that it is just 'New 3DS'-branded ones that don't work on a 2DS, the salesperson heard this and seemed like he actually didn't know. And that he wasn't pushing a New 3DS points in that direction too. But still!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom