• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been to Bruges, but i once went to a place made famous by a movie and it was awful. Mystic, Connecticut is a nice little seaside town that has a pizza restaurant that was depicted in a movie called Mystic Pizza (it's like Julia Roberts' first movie and there's a teenage Matt Damon in there briefly). The actual pizza restaurant now is a shrine to the movie and Julia Roberts movies in general, and has the worst pizza I can ever remember eating in a restaurant (unless you like McCain's frozen pizzas, in which case, you're golden).

so here are some more in bruges gifs

tumblr_lyytrgwi1l1qlxjo9o6_250.gif

tumblr_nsn4t2Hchj1uw379wo2_540.gif

How dare you!! Used to pass by Mystic all the time when driving up to uni. Great aquarium. Though that pizza place does suck.

I did say Mystic as a town is very nice. It's just the reason I was dragged there was because of that fucking movie and the Pizza place as it is now is nothing like the one in the movie that supposedly won over a tough food critic. The night we 'dined' there was kinda ruined by eating at a place called Friendly's for lunch, kinda ruined by the terrible pizza and ambience and kinda ruined by the family of 13 behind us who had either never eated outside of their own home before or were an ADHD support group.

tl;dr fuck Mystic Pizza

seriously though you sound like my racist-arse dad when he gets all "why are they allowed to say aboriginal and torres-strait islander preferred/only, you couldn't say white only?" you're not my racist-arse dad, are you? 'cause he's also pretty sexist, so that's not gonna help you much in this case

Rizzi

seriously though you sound like my racist-arse dad when he gets all "why are they allowed to say aboriginal and torres-strait islander preferred/only, you couldn't say white only?" you're not my racist-arse dad, are you? 'cause he's also pretty sexist, so that's not gonna help you much in this case

wut.

Stackboy

I live in quite a built up area in Brisbane. Went for a walk on the weekend and found an awesome nature reserve to explore. It's like a 40 minute round trip, will be adding it to my exercise routine for sure.

Started playing Destiny again too, just casually, to warm up for the new expansion.

Gazunta

Syd-GAF! What are the must-see arcades in your fine town? Preferably CBD area.

Ditto for record shops.

Ditto for indie-friendly comic shops, but I may have already asked that one?

Spinifex

I'd totally apply for that newsbot thing, but I'm not e-famous enough for people to care about what I say. Can't I just be an auteur who shuns the limelight?

Shaneus

Ditto for record shops.

There's an awesome pool hall on the main street, I can't remember which, that has around 10 pinnies in it. It's pretty divey but the machines are a bit of fun :)

Dryk

Is that the Nintendo one? The downstairs random geek crap was decent too.
I didn't bother going downstairs because I'd already been to a giant random geek crap store earlier in the day

EDIT: It amuses me that EB moved into random geek crap and is now spinning that off into its own thing

Rahk

Ditto for record shops.

I'm probably not a good person to answer these questions, but here you go anyway.

Arcades? Let me know if you find anything worthwhile.

I don't know any record shops apart from the one at Mojo Record Bar. Might be worth checking out?

Not sure what makes a comic indie, but have a look at Kings Comics and Kinokuniya. There's also a place called Comic Kingdom, but I've never been in there.

I didn't bother going downstairs because I'd already been to a giant random geek crap store earlier in the day

EDIT: It amuses me that EB moved into random geek crap and is now spinning that off into its own thing

Shitload more money/profit in that than selling video games at retail!

Card Boy

Banned
Is there a site that tracks digital music sales? (As in what's on sale). I know there is Appshopper for iOS apps and App-sales.net Android apps. But how about music?

MoonGred

Ozgameshop should do it for AUD$36 shipped. I ended up getting it from there after Target proved futile, useless and cunt-like.

Aah crap, was hoping there would be a digital download for that price. Ozgameshop is all well and good but their shipping is a joke.
Target can seriously get fucked from time to time. I called my local target 3 weeks in a row to find out whether they had xenoblade in stock and the last time I got told "you can stoo calling about it now, we don't have it"

Aah crap, was hoping there would be a digital download for that price. Ozgameshop is all well and good but their shipping is a joke.
Target can seriously get fucked from time to time. I called my local target 3 weeks in a row to find out whether they had xenoblade in stock and the last time I got told "you can stoo calling about it now, we don't have it"

'Sounds like Target Spirit' by Nostocka

Had a phone call this afternoon regarding a job doing FIFO again. Six month contract. From the sounds of things, I'd be perfect for the job.

A few months ago, I'd have turned it down flat (and believe me, I have), but after four months of sitting at home, trying to find something, anything in my field in Brisbane and getting nothing from anyone but good wishes, vague promises of maybe something in a month (or two), introductions to important people who'd love to help but what with the market... well, it's time to bow to the inevitable. I need to earn some money again.

Being a grown man sucks so bad.

radaxian

Whats the cheapest price for rare replay, physical or download doesn't matter.

Mightyape have it for $30 + shipping too (releases for them on the 14th for whatever reason, so a pre-order at this stage). Grab Wolfenstein The Old Blood for $22 while you're at it.

I got it at Target for $38 on release, but I think they only had that price for the first 3 days or something. Plus the large store near me only got 4 copies in.

Has anyone used webjet/ had problems with webjet before? I booked flights with them to Italy at the end of the year and so far it's been a whole lot of fucking around on my end. After charging my account they told me the card was declined and they threatened to cancel my flight. I told them the card wasn't declined, the payment was already processed but they wouldn't believe me and refused to do anything until I gave them authorisation codes from the bank. Eventually they told me, okay we did accidentally put it through a second time but we need that authorisation code to stop it. No we will make sure it doesn't go through twice.

And surprise, now they've charged my account twice (I found that out when I tried to top up my go-card while at university right before a really important meeting and my card was declined for having a balance of -$1,500). Now they are asking for my credit card details again and authorisation codes before they can do anything. They said I should have the money back within four hours but I'm feeling really friggen uncomfortable with this. Should I just lodge a dispute with the bank? anyone know what my options are here? I don't wanna cancel my flight either...

Danoss

You may want to have a chat with your bank (they'll ask if you've spoken with Webjet, which you can say that you have) because having your money returned within four hours sounds like a load of crap to me. I've not heard of bank processing happen so quickly unless it's an account transfer within the same bank (even then it can be iffy). With credit cards? Fat chance. Next business day at best.

I've not had any experience with any business requesting authorisation codes either. Maybe it's a specific card thing? I'm mostly confused as to why they'd need some kind of authorisation to reverse a charge they've made. If someone gave me the credit card number with no expiry date or CV2 number, I could walk into their bank and deposit money onto their card with no authorisation needed. Anyway, I'm rambling.

The main reason I'd say to call you bank, aside from peace of mind, is to make sure they don't whack you with an overlimit fee. The bank would be able to clearly see it was a duplicate charge and reverse the fee, but at least you'd have something on record stating that the second charge was unauthorised soon after it was made. If Webjet duplicated the charge within ~60–120 secs (varies depending on the bank), the second attempt would've been automatically rejected.

The bank will talk you through it and I've found them to be very good about it (been in a very similar spot a few years ago and had my CC compromised a couple of weeks ago). If you end up needing to open a dispute, the system is on your side.

Bernbaum

Had a phone call this afternoon regarding a job doing FIFO again. Six month contract. From the sounds of things, I'd be perfect for the job.

A few months ago, I'd have turned it down flat (and believe me, I have), but after four months of sitting at home, trying to find something, anything in my field in Brisbane and getting nothing from anyone but good wishes, vague promises of maybe something in a month (or two), introductions to important people who'd love to help but what with the market... well, it's time to bow to the inevitable. I need to earn some money again.

Sucks to hear it but congrats at least for returning to an income. It's a shitty time for people in that industry. Plenty of well-educated people with experience that are out on their bums because of factors that have nothing to do with their competence.

FIFO is a shitty thing to have to return to, especially if you're more experienced with the office side of things. Hopefully you're a least learning new things and it's not a development black hole on your resume.

yes it does suck, but it gives you six months longer to consider your next step (ie another industry for a few years till the next mining uptick). Its only six months, but its only six months.

Also as far as good wishes and vague promises, I hear that. Your working friends who haven't spend significant time out of work recently will likely totally fail to understand your situation.

Sucks to hear about job woes all the time. The place I've been working casually at for the last 18 months put me on a two year contract last week.

I guess the moral of the story is "be lucky".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom