• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

The most amusing (depressing) thing to me was that he implied that rationalism and reliance on evidence was bullshit

I never really understood that. If you believe the world was created by God, surely you have to believe by extension that he put the evidence there. There's no reason other than small minded literalism that someone can't simultaneously be a christian and believe in for eg evolution.

Yrael

I personally know two physicists who are biblical literalists (don't believe in the Big Bang, believe in Noah's ark, etc). Blows my mind, honestly. I asked one of them how he reconciles his beliefs with his work as a scientist - he said he still hasn't quite worked it out, and for now keeps the two things separate in his mind. I can't imagine what the cognitive dissonance must be like.

Wait for the inevitable super cheap bundle

Yeah I figure that the end of the year is going to bring about the best deals.

Forgot Ori is on Steam already, and that Cuphead will be coming to PC...still interested in the other games though (Ori might actually be better played on a big screen with a console anyway, being such a gorgeous game).

Argh, wish we had deals like the Smart TV + Xbone $500 deal that the Americans had.

Shaneus

I personally know two physicists who are biblical literalists (don't believe in the Big Bang, believe in Noah's ark, etc). Blows my mind, honestly. I asked one of them how he reconciles his beliefs with his work as a scientist - he said he still hasn't quite worked it out, and for now keeps the two things separate in his mind. I can't imagine what the cognitive dissonance must be like.
Surely enough that it could be considered schizophrenia.

Man from UNCLE was an enjoyable film.
I think that's it for me going to see movies for a bit until The Martian opens.

I've also agreed to go to fucking Supanova again. Why?

Dryk

Are they in your school?

Forgot Ori is on Steam already, and that Cuphead will be coming to PC...still interested in the other games though (Ori might actually be better played on a big screen with a console anyway, being such a gorgeous game).
What's your setup like?

I need a wireless HDMI system or something <.<

senahorse

Are they in your school?

What's your setup like?

There is such a thing as doing HDMI over wireless. If it's your own place, you can run HDMI over Ethernet (has worked great for me for the past few years). Also you can always get one of those Steam Link boxes when they come out in a few months. Lots of ways to play PC games in the lounge these days, it's certainly not a console tick box anymore.

Yrael

Are they in your school?

Yep (though one of them has gone overseas for a postdoc).

What's your setup like?

I do all my PC gaming on a laptop, so I could also plug it into the TV (a relatively old 32'' Samsung, which currently has a PS3 and Wii U hooked to it) with the HDMI cable.

Dryk

There is such a thing as doing HDMI over wireless. If it's your own place, you can run HDMI over Ethernet (has worked great for me for the past few years). Also you can always get one of those Steam Link boxes when they come out in a few months. Lots of ways to play PC games in the lounge these days, it's certainly not a console tick box anymore.
Our home network isn't very good at wireless streaming for reasons I do not understand

senahorse

Our home network isn't very good at wireless streaming for reasons I do not understand

Things to check:
  • If you have an android device (might be similar programs on ios) download something like wifi analyzer. This will show you the signal strength of your wifi as you walk around the house.
  • With the above program look at the channel graph to see what channel is least utilised. For 2.4Ghz there are only 3 channels you should be using, which is either 1, 6 or 11 (the other channels all overlap with each other and will just cause interference issues). Go to the spots you most use wireless and test it here and try and find the least used channel. 5Ghz is better when it comes to channel usage but doesn't penetrate walls as well, so range is less (not an issue if the AP is nearby to where you're using it). If you have 5Ghz use it if you can, and if it gives you a better experience than 2.4Ghz, just note some devices don't have 5Ghz radios (such as Chromecast).
  • Lots of things interfere with wifi, from lights, electricity, fluoros, microwaves, cordless phones, Bluetooth, water (think fish tanks) and even people (we are just water bags), so experiment with moving your access point around.
  • If you access point has antennas try adjusting them and then check your signal again (with app above), the antennas are Omni directional and will affect coverage to areas depending on their orientation.
  • If your AP has external antennas you can get aftermarket ones with greater gain, higher the dB (decibels), higher the gain, better the coverage.
  • Your AP may have settings for boosting the strength, have a go at this.

Axiom

You guys are probably the wrong age group, but how was "On her majesty's secret service" receives here? If I've learnt anything in my 4 years of being here it's that Australians will always go nuts about other famous Australians.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is not only my favourite Bond film, but one of my favourite films of all time. This has nothing to do with Lazenby though and if I had a Sliding machine I'd go visit the world in which Connery made OHMSS his last Bond film.

Diamonds is so ugh.

That said, I still got a photo with George and his Aston Martin when given the opportunity

Ok so my pitch is Old Man Timothy Dalton and Old Man Pierce Brosnan are playing opposite each other as retired spies. Christopher Walken as villainous mastermind.

How do I secure funding to make this movie?

trinest

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is not only my favourite Bond film, but one of my favourite films of all time. This has nothing to do with Lazenby though and if I had a Sliding machine I'd go visit the world in which Connery made OHMSS his last Bond film.

Diamonds is so ugh.

That said, I still got a photo with George and his Aston Martin when given the opportunity

I was with you until that.

Ok so my pitch is Old Man Timothy Dalton and Old Man Pierce Brosnan are playing opposite each other as retired spies. Christopher Walken as villainous mastermind.

Write a screenplay them email it to Sony.

Your funding depends on the female lead and her willingness to get her jubblies out. Learn to produce mate, fuck :) /jk

I actually would pay good money to see that, you've missed your calling as a casting agent.

Darren870

Can I retire yet? I'm getting sick of working.

Seriously how the hell do people work till they are 65+. I can't imagine doing this for another 35 years.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Can I retire yet? I'm getting sick of working.

Seriously how the hell do people work till they are 65+. I can't imagine doing this for another 35 years.

Both my parents took early retirement (they were NHS nurses) when they were in their late 50s. They are able to pay off their mortgage soon after this so it's been all good. My dad is a totally changed person now that he's not working anymore.

I'm pretty fucked for retirement unless I start saving now. Ideally I want to retire soon after my 60th birthday, or to put it in rigid terms I want the last working day of my life to be 30 December 2044. As long as I own a house then I imagine that I could have a good life on AU$1000 a month. If I expect to live until I'm 80 that means saving around $240,000 by that retirement date. Which basically means from 1 January 2016 I need to be saving $680 a month. I imagine that's fully doable. But I've not got kids yet. And I've not got a house yet. :/

The pension in Australia is $1600/month (or $2500/month for couples), and that's not based on figures 30 years from now, so unless you also plan to rely on the pension and subsidise it with your savings, $1000/month probably won't cut it...

... happy weekend!

MoonGred

Thanks Mutes now I've got "The living daylight" stuck in my head!

add Liam Neeson and get a french director attached and you're golden.

Take out Neeson and replace him with Jean Reno, and have Luc Besson direct it.

Have any of you seen the "Taxi" movies?

Dryk

Fuck me slowly explaining to people that I'm single again but they should continue to like her and invite her to things is draining. Notice her Single status on Facebook (or that mine has mysteriously vanished) already ya bastards. [/rant]

Saw man from U.N.C.L.E last night, it was pretty good.

Fuck me slowly explaining to people that I'm single again but they should continue to like her and invite her to things is draining. Notice her Single status on Facebook (or that mine has mysteriously vanished) already ya bastards. [/rant]

But why! You seemed like the perfect couple. Did you at least not try and work it out?

be prepared for that

Danoss

Episode 7 of The Genius 4 was a rollercoaster of emotions.

jbA2axd.jpg

Kyunghoon is my king for choosing Jungmoon in the deathmatch.

I had plenty more to write, but everything was right there in the episode. Goddamn.

I know the feeling. Me and the ex haven't even told many people for this reason. Also it's annoying/hard to tell people.

yeah, that's our dry QLD winter. But it's Ekka People's Day in Brisbane, it always seems to rain on Ekka show day.

It also means that in about a week or two, most of SE QLD will have a cold.
Damn it Clive you jinxed it :(
Yeah so my childhood friend I guess became a Christian which is fine in itself I guess, the kind that prays before every meal which is fine I guess and talks about being "called" and about hearing god's voice which irritates the shit out of me but which is fine I guess and who told me on parting that my heart is lost and that gods door is always open what with me being a vehement non believer which rather soured the whole holiday thing but which, in the grand scheme of things, is fine I guess.

Now he's saying that he opposes gay marriage on behalf of the spiritual protection of gay people and yo fuck that noise

This sucks. One of the smartest people I know becoming... Fuck, I don't know. Not the friend I grew up with.

I'm sorry Jint, that really sucks.
I had the same thing happen with a friend of mine :( I tried talking to her about and ended up just looking like an asshole in her eyes even though I basically just told her I was disappointed she was bullying gay people with what she was saying. Her wall is just full of people from her church posting essays about why gay marriage is wrong and historically and biologically only became a thing last century or something. I eventually gave up because it wasn't worth the friendship and I was likely the only person she knew with a different viewpoint so she wasn't open to listening.

That said, I don't think this is a christian problem. I have some really intelligent, pro-marriage equality christian friends who are embarrassed people are saying hateful stuff in the name of religion. This particular friend however, I think felt kind of brainwashed by her church to be honest.

I've only dealt with the Commonwealth Bank, and they've been nothing short of excellent when something needed to be done. Hopefully whichever bank you're with is the same. I can't imagine there being too much trouble with the overlimit fee associated with an unauthorised charge. They should voluntarily do this, but a minor prompt should be all that's needed if they don't. Hope it's an easy resolution for you.

I've been doing okay lately. Thanks for asking!

It's difficult to discuss in any amount of detail without seeming overly negative, which I'd prefer wasn't the case. Currently, varying and unpredictable periods of free time is the most challenging factor to navigate—as would be evidenced by my erratic posting. It feels like a selfish thing to say, but having something resembling a sense of normality helps me to maintain a pleasant environment for my gran.

I'm sorry there's not many positives to draw from my particular situation; it looks better overall from the outside-in. The dietician saw my gran last week and was very pleased with how she is, as was the cardiologist when he saw her yesterday, because she had shown actual improvement in those areas. While her cognitive abilities are noticeably declining, and there's little that can be done about it, at least I've managed to keep her healthy where I can.
Glad to hear you've been feeling okay, and that your gran is doing alright too :) It must be tough. I was living with my grandmother last year and it was incredibly stressful, and I wasn't even her carer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom