• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

But them brussels sprouts. I always have to drown out the flavor when I eat them. Its just always bitter. I still buy them though, heck I have them growing in my garden! I've cooked them every way you can think, and I still can't get them a way I like.

If the brussell sprouts are too bitter, they're too big. You've got the best choice since you're growing them yourselves. The ones in supermarkets and green grocers are always far too big.

The same goes for zucchini. Get them on the small side and they're really nice. Zucchini slice may be seen as cheating, but it's a good way to get into it for those that dislike it.

I'm sorry. I don't mind the first bite taste of it but the after-taste is what kills it for me.

Skip the tinned stuff and cook them yourself. I find the preservatives are far too strong and are likely to be the main contributor to the taste you dislike. Some brands are worse than others and can bother me as a lover of beetroot.

They're like boiling rocks, but they soften up nicely and skinning them while they're hot is easy—it just slides right off. Let them cool, slice them up and put them in your own preservative. I forget the ratio I used, but it was a mixture of brown vinegar, water and brown sugar. Heat the vinegar in a pot, mix in the brown sugar while it's hot and then add the water to the correct ratio (it'll be online somewhere).

Try a bit while it's hot too, it's delicious. Also, dice some up and bake it for a real treat.

Edit: Sorry if this post comes across as a bit abrasive, I was typing it in a hurry. These are meant as friendly suggestions.

Dead Man

If the brussell sprouts are too bitter, they're too big. You've got the best choice since you're growing them yourselves. The ones in supermarkets and green grocers are always far too big.

The same goes for zucchini. Get them on the small side and they're really nice. Zucchini slice may be seen as cheating, but it's a good way to get into it for those that dislike it.

Skip the tinned stuff and cook them yourself. I find the preservatives are far too strong and are likely to be the main contributor to the taste you dislike. Some brands are worse than others and can bother me as a lover of beetroot.

They're like boiling rocks, but they soften up nicely and skinning them while they're hot is easy—it just slides right off. Let them cool, slice them up and put them in your own preservative. I forget the ratio I used, but it was a mixture of brown vinegar, water and brown sugar. Heat the vinegar in a pot, mix in the brown sugar while it's hot and then add the water to the correct ratio (it'll be online somewhere).

Try a bit while it's hot too, it's delicious. Also, dice some up and bake it for a real treat.

Edit: Sorry if this post comes across as a bit abrasive, I was typing it in a hurry. These are meant as friendly suggestions.

BRB, growing beetroot :) Damn if that doesn't sounds just about easy enough for me to tackle.

Darren870

Good to know. I've only bought them at the super markets. See how the ones we're growing turn out. I love zucchini though.

The missus didn't even know what a beetroot looked like till she was in her 20s. She had only ever had it from a can...
I didn't even know they sold them in a can...

Fusebox

Banned
Someone help me figure out which portable rpg to play next.

I'm 20 hours into Xenoblade 3DS and it feels like I've seen everything the game has to offer, not sure if it's worth putting another 40 hours in to finish it.

I've got Bravely Default, I'm sure I'm gonna love it but am concerned the AR stuff will be a pain on the train. Couldn't even watch the intro when I first tried the game coz I wasn't at home.

I've got Danganronpa 1 and 2. I started 1, it didn't grab me like I thought it would but in retrospect it's growing on me, I could go and finish that.

Or should I play something totally different?

Jintor

Dr1 is easier/shorter to finish and way more entertaining moment to moment.

Xenoblade is a great podcast game, absolutely a single player mmo

Bravely default will probably not be compelling after about five or so hours, best part is the music

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm pretty sure I don't need my PS3 anymore. I've asked on Twitter and got no replies.

Is there anything I can do, Like donating it to somewhere? I can't really be bothered trying to sell it for a small amount of cash, It seems kinda pointless.

Thanks.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm pretty sure I don't need my PS3 anymore. I've asked on Twitter and got no replies.

Is there anything I can do, Like donating it to somewhere? I can't really be bothered trying to sell it for a small amount of cash, It seems kinda pointless.

Thanks.
Where in Aus are you? Guy here at my work (Brissy) is stuck at home after spinal surgery and keeps talking about getting one but hasn't yet. I'm sure he could flick you some $$$ for it, depending on where you are of course.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Where in Aus are you? Guy here at my work (Brissy) is stuck at home after spinal surgery and keeps talking about getting one but hasn't yet. I'm sure he could flick you some $$$ for it, depending on where you are of course.

In Melbourne.

I still need to update the FW / Format it etc, It's been a long time since i've turned it on!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
In Melbourne.

I still need to update the FW / Format it etc, It's been a long time since i've turned it on!
Oh god, a seldom-used PS3 is in for a monster update process. Whenever I dig mine out it has to go through a big update to use the store and i give up.

Fusebox

Banned
Dr1 is easier/shorter to finish and way more entertaining moment to moment.

Xenoblade is a great podcast game, absolutely a single player mmo

Bravely default will probably not be compelling after about five or so hours, best part is the music

This all looks like solid advice, thx man.

Not sure what a podcast game is but Xenoblade definitely has that one man MMO feel about it. It's just a little bit bland and not a very good looking game. Feels like I'm mostly just going through the motions with it.

Surprised to hear that about BD, it looks right up my alley and I've been keen to play it ever since it came out. I'll still give it a good go though.

Danganronpa sounds like a go-er. I've got a 7 hour save file but I think I'll restart coz I don't remember much about that start.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh god, a seldom-used PS3 is in for a monster update process. Whenever I dig mine out it has to go through a big update to use the store and i give up.

That should be OK. I remember messing around with old FW at some stage.

Just need to confirm what HDD I have inside and update it.

Shaneus

Jintor

something really, really long that you soon want to turn the audio off and have something else playing like a podcast.

Not that I would turn the music off on xenoblade, the ost is amazing. It's a game I liked more than the sum of its parts really since I wasn't super enamoured of its gameplay

Fogz

Not that I would turn the music off on xenoblade, the ost is amazing. It's a game I liked more than the sum of its parts really since I wasn't super enamoured of its gameplay

I just started the Wii version. So you're saying I shouldn't be doing every single side quest!

Fusebox

Banned
I just started the Wii version. So you're saying I shouldn't be doing every single side quest!

Haha, just collect all the side quests anyway, most of them you'll complete just by killing and collecting the stuff you'd normally kill and collect and the majority of side-quests don't need to be returned to the quest-giver.

And yeah the OST is AAA.

Fogz

Haha, just collect all the side quests anyway, most of them you'll complete just by killing and collecting the stuff you'd normally kill and collect and the majority of side-quests don't need to be returned to the quest-giver.

And yeah the OST is AAA.

Yeah not having to return to the quest-giver (mostly) is great

Shaneus

Yeah I'm a fan too, ever since the Big Gig, never seen him live though.
Man, that article is insane. Actually want to read that book, too... autobiographies by comedians (regardless of content) are usually great to read because you can hear it in their voice and, you know, they are good storytellers in general.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If the FW is low enough to be hacked and out CFW on you might get a higher price than normal for it.

Na I don't think it is, Unless the hacked FW has been at a newer version.

I remember trying to get that to work when it first came out, Probably the last time I used it.

What kinda earphones should I get?
Cods or someone owns these right
31z%2BIHhYVsL._SY355_.jpg

Hifiman:RE-400

that Mad Max for $69 and Gears remastered for $39 look mighty tempting. any idea if MM is going to be any good? Or since its WB should I just wait about 3 months for it to be $10.

$85 for MGSV. I'm guessing that's Konami levy+where the Dollar is in terms of exchange rate. It works out to US$61. which is cheaper than most people in the US will get it for (add sales tax for states where its levied)

What kinda earphones should I get?
Cods or someone owns these right
31z%2BIHhYVsL._SY355_.jpg

Hifiman:RE-400
I do have a pair of those, and I think they're absolutely brilliant, especially for the price.

Except, they no longer work, because they're a bit flimsy and so easily broken (specifically, where the black cable goes into the silver housing). I took good care of them, although I did tend to work out while wearing them, and eventually got lazy and started pulled them out using the cable, so it's my own fault.

If you can be gentle with them, they're great.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm a bit tempted. Gears 1 HD has me keen but I think I can hold out until it hits PC!

I've got the original PC disc release.

I've never forgiven it for deleting (or not recognising) my saves back when I originally played it. But I was able to play it quite recently online with a friend. It still holds up well.

I'd only be interested in a PC re-release if it came with the other Gears games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom