• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same thing at my local target, no copies of MGS5 on the shelf, had to ask a manager to locate some from the back. They had heaps in storage, none on the shelf...weird.

The micro-transaction bullshit doesn't really affect the single player, gaming side is just being over reactive as always.

MGSV is downloading at 13MB/s. Pretty happy with my Telstra cable service so far. Speeds are fairly consistent and they even upgraded me to 1TB per month even though I joined 4 months ago now.

Occasionally I'm disappointed that my upload speed is fuck all but what can you do? 'Straya

Thanks Target

WwlcFe.jpg

Best 60 bucks ever.
yup 3 really good games there. The Halo campaigns really hold up well and Sunset Overdrive was probably the best open-world game of last year. FH2 good for a driving game.

The micro-transaction bullshit doesn't really affect the single player, gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always. gaming side is just being over reactive as always.

The opening battle in the pachinko parlour was just insane. well worth the 50 Koinamis it cost
lol, it's a hospital in Cyprus

I'm just going to spooge-post over MGSV for the next few weeks.

senahorse

13.5MB/S o_O

I've seen mine top out at 800KB/S before. That was a golden time. Some people must have shifted out in the area at the time. Usually lucky to hit 650-700KB/S now :(

If I get my way we will be moving to the sticks in the next couple of years, and will have to suffer with satellite or a very poor dsl connection, oh the horror :(

Mad Max out tomorrow, Tuesday 2nd of September, PS4/X1/PC

Cheapest at Target for consoles. PS4/X1 for $69

JB Hi-Fi - PS4/X1 for $79
Big W - PS4/X1 for $88
Gamemen - PS4/X1 for $88
EB Games - PS4/X1 for $100 (ask them to price match Target though)
Microsoft XBL - X1 for $100 (digital only)
Sony PSN - PS4 for $100 (digital only)

Kmart, Harvey Norman & Dick Smith aren't listing it.
Imports: Dungeon Crawl, OzGameShop & BASE are all more expensive than picking it up locally from Target.

It does have some basic, unimportant pre-order DLC. Not sure if it's just thrown in with every day one purchase, hopefully it is.
JXgYm3F.jpg

EB Games have an exclusive pre-order DLC too, it's a hood ornament I guess. Could ask instore tomorrow for the DLC flyer, likely to have plenty to go round.
lgEJKP3.jpg

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
MGS Steam unlock in under an hour, looks like I will be playing when I come back home later :D

edit:
AnJkUbqPH7Bpfn3rPi_38OxI3sncT8501ab20Q65aFs=w988-h253-no

Love Steam downloads

I just finished downloading Stasis (2.7GB) after around 8 hours of downloading.

My response to your screenshot isn't fit for polite society.

CmdBash

Has anyone had experience with corsair's rma? Gotta get my keyboard fixed and was wondering how long the turnaround time it was to get it to them and back.

Card Boy

Banned
I went to EB Swanston Street to get Phantom Pain and everyone was pricing matching to Target. The guy serving seemed fed up by it lol. Beats paying the $109 scam price they where charging.

Cerity

Picked up some Dell Ultrasharp 23" monitors and lawd, these are so much better than my old ones. I can't believe I never noticed the yellow tinge my old BenQ and AOC had, nor the how badly either crushed blacks.

10/10, would recommend getting IPS screens over TN any day of the week.

Ydahs

Odd question, but does anyone here know of some great lobster restaurants in Melbourne (preferably around CBD/Docklands/South Melbourne)? Price isn't an issue. I only know of Lobster Cave, which apparently has some of the best selections, but questionable service.

Actually, any seafood restaurant's fine. Been slowly exposing myself to more and more seafood recently :D

Picked up some Dell Ultrasharp 23" monitors and lawd, these are so much better than my old ones. I can't believe I never noticed the yellow tinge my old BenQ and AOC had, nor the how badly either crushed blacks.

Yeah IPS is so damn good. Praise the IPS!

Deeku

crap i forgot to "buy" last month's ps+ games:/

not feeling the mgs hype yet, but i totally dig the portable ops recruiting dudes thing, had no idea that was part of the game...

i should probably play ground zeroes this week!

Has the Xbox Elite's controller release date already been discussed in here already? EBGames are the sole retailer of it in Aus and have it pegged for release on November 6th - or 2 full weeks after the US gets it, and Halo 5: Guardians comes out. Quite annoying :/

Yeah mate, PS3. Brand new, still in the box. Let me consider a suitable price and I'll PM you.

No worries.

I went to EB Swanston Street to get Phantom Pain and everyone was pricing matching to Target. The guy serving seemed fed up by it lol. Beats paying the $109 scam price they where charging.

A few mates said that as well, they just laughed the guy off. Their rrp is a joke.

ps+ games now live

For once I put my ps4 into rest mode. Will queue up the downloads from work!

crap i forgot to "buy" last month's ps+ games:/

not feeling the mgs hype yet, but i totally dig the portable ops recruiting dudes thing, had no idea that was part of the game...

i should probably play ground zeroes this week!

I started playing last night, got spotted by the enemies so many times. Haven't played a stealth game in years.

Quasar

Yeah. And dell ultrasharps I find especially good.

KrisB

Same thing at my local target, no copies of MGS5 on the shelf, had to ask a manager to locate some from the back. They had heaps in storage, none on the shelf...weird.
I went to Target first thing in the morning and they were all out the back too. Guess they hadn't set up the stock yet.

Put a couple of hours into it last night and really enjoying it.

Hey who uses what VPNs/netflix things?

So I know there are some apps you can get to get US netflix but I guess what I'm hoping to do is slightly specific.

1. I would love to be able to access US (or more!) Netflix from BOTH my PC and my PS4 connected on wifi.

2. I want to make sure if I torrent anything like a TV show that isn't even accessible here in Australia (as many aren't, as they are simply not picked up by anyone) that I'm not going to fall on the wrong side of any of these new laws so I don't want it to be trackable. I think this is VPN here.

3. I don't want my internet to die during this and be slow AF.

4. I'm happy to pay but obviously would like to get value for money, don't want to pay 50 bucks a month when there might be a 20 option that is good.

If this is being too close to piratechat please tell me and I'll delete. Definitely not trying to pirate any games or movies, my game/steam and DVD/blu ray collection can DEFINITELY attest to that. But sometimes shit just doesn't make it out here.

Shaneus

You're never going to get good speeds out of VPN, especially for torrents. I'd strongly recommend looking into Usenet for TV shows that aren't aired here/available on any Netflix region, and sign up to Getflix. That'll let you use Netflix from any region on both your PS4 and PC :)

They provide a VPN service too, but I tried using it and even browsing was crazy slow.

So I know there are some apps you can get to get US netflix but I guess what I'm hoping to do is slightly specific.

1. I would love to be able to access US (or more!) Netflix from BOTH my PC and my PS4 connected on wifi.

2. I want to make sure if I torrent anything like a TV show that isn't even accessible here in Australia (as many aren't, as they are simply not picked up by anyone) that I'm not going to fall on the wrong side of any of these new laws so I don't want it to be trackable. I think this is VPN here.

4. I'm happy to pay but obviously would like to get value for money, don't want to pay 50 bucks a month when there might be a 20 option that is good.

If this is being too close to piratechat please tell me and I'll delete. Definitely not trying to pirate any games or movies, my game/steam and DVD/blu ray collection can DEFINITELY attest to that. But sometimes shit just doesn't make it out here.

I'm not much of a vpn user but a few mates rave about https://www.privateinternetaccess.com great speeds downloading Linux torrents etc.

Smart DNS has zero impact on your bandwidth. When a website (Netflix in this case) asks your PC/device what country it's based in the smart DNS just tells it whatever you want.

I use Getflix which has been flawless. Every now and then they have a special, I'm currently paying about $20 a year (also includes VPN if you want it). Super easy to setup and use. Just have to change some settings on your router and then any device that connects to the internet through it will use the same DNS setting. I've got tablets/phone/PS4/PS3/PC all using US Netflix.

VPN stuff is way more complicated than DNS since you are effectively tunnelling your usage through another country. Gotta worry about leaks and such.

Gig? Did I miss something?

Nothing major, just going to do bargain roundups for new release games on PressStart. Seems to have a good reaction so far!

CLEEK

Presented without comment:

https://vid.me/oRJx

SmartDNS just allows you to access content that geolocked. It doesn't mask your actual IP, so does nothing to protection you from prosecution if you torrent stuff. So it's fine if you just want to access US Netflix (as long as the device you access Netflix on let you change your DNS settings - PS4 will, Chromecast won't). SmartDNS won't impact your bandwidth of speeds at all.

A VPN connects you to an exit node in another country. Your external IP will appear as that of the exit node. It will hide your real IP and location. A VPN can be used to get around geolocking, and also provides a level of privacy from Aussie data retention laws. If set up correctly, it should provide complete safety to torrent. Using a VPN will impact your speeds. I use Private Internet Access, and depending ont he time of day and the exit node I chose, my 70mbs cable connection gives me between 10mbs to 30mbs. So entirely usable, just not very fast.

Using a VPN on a PC is simple. Just install the VPN client. If you go with a popular, secure one like Private Internet Access, it also for easy set-up of smartphones and tablets too. There is no way to setup your PS4 to use the VPN. If you want all your traffic to go over the VPN, you must have a router that allows you to use a VPN. A Netgear with custom firmware etc. If this router talk doesn't make any sense to you, I'd suggest you won't be able to achieve it.

Personally, I use SmartDNS to watch US Netflix on my FetchTV box, the VPN to switch between US Netflix on my iPad and iPhone. And in the rare occasions I torrent TV shows, I use the VPN on my PC.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
My cable connection used to get around 12MB/s on both Steam and Usenet, but now I get half that. No idea what happened :(
Mine used to hit 9-10 on Steam (Optus Cable in Brisbane) now i'm lucky to hit 3-4mbps. I think they totally oversubscribed their network with that Netflix/unlimited deal.

Shaneus

Mine used to hit 9-10 on Steam (Optus Cable in Brisbane) now i'm lucky to hit 3-4mbps. I think they totally oversubscribed their network with that Netflix/unlimited deal.
Assuming you mean the unmetered Netflix thing, then yeah... you may be right. I can't pinpoint when it went to shit, but it's at least been over the last 6 months, possibly a little longer.

Darren870

Anyone want some free AFL Tix for this weekend? I snagged some online but am unable to go.

Sat Sep 5 - 4:40 PM - Hawthron vs Carlton
Sun Sep 6 - 3:20 PM - Collingwood vs Essendon

I have 4 for the Sun game and 2 for the Sat game. Missus and I are probably going to the Sat game but later since we are going to the VIC100...more free tickets :)

Kritz

Banned
Anyone who hasn't seen David Simon's new miniseries, Show Me a Hero, owes it to themselves to check it out. The series wrapped up this Monday, and in time I think people will look back at this miniseries with all the respect they do for The Wire.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

You're not going to pay nearly twice as much for the same product? Where's your store loyalty.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I saw a cyclist getting swooped today. That's certainly a new one. I'm going to have to change my route for running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom