• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonGred

Looks like board-games with friends might be Saturday next weekend. The saga continues.

Yeah I see people talking about how they're from Australia all the time and I wonder why the hell they don't post here. It's like those weirdos that only post in Off-Topic.

I only ventured to off topic a couple of months ago but man that place is a gold mine.
Ausgaf is actually the only place that I keep coming back to, so you must be doing something right.

I've had the Brisbane flu for the past seven days. That wouldn't be so bad, but the little guy has it too. He's also a super fussy kid who fights and spits out any flavoured medicine we've given him.

For the past three days, I've been administering paracetamol to him via suppositories.

It's more than a little unpleasant for all parties involved.

UltraJay

Looks like board-games with friends might be Saturday next weekend. The saga continues.

Yeah I see people talking about how they're from Australia all the time and I wonder why the hell they don't post here. It's like those weirdos that only post in Off-Topic.

I find it hard to keep up with community threads and OTs since they go so fast. I usually only read the last page. I'm also too used to lurking since I lurked for a while before getting my account.

Also since I'm an American expat I have no idea what you guys are talking about half the time.

Maybe I'll subscribe and get more involved with the community.

Dryk

I'm eating an entree before the main meal and live on the first floor but not on the ground floor. And I don't the doorman or the waiter.
There are a few buildings at The University of Adelaide where the ground floor is Level 3 or Level 4 for some fucking reason

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Makes sense. Always found it so odd, seeing as there's only about 10-15 active users.

50% of all posts in Ausgaf 1 - 10 were from the following users:
reptilescorpio
Jintor
Choc
Shaneus
jambo
Omi
Fredescu
evlcookie
Yagharek
codswallop
markot
Dead Man
commanderdeek
legend166
HolyCheck
Salazar
VOOK
DeathJr

^^^^^^^^ Cool people amirite

reptilescorpio
Jintor
Choc
Shaneus
jambo
Omi
Fredescu
evlcookie
Yagharek
codswallop
markot
Dead Man
commanderdeek
legend166
HolyCheck
Salazar
VOOK
DeathJr

Choc's up there despite being banned for many months now

I certainly used to post a lot more in AusGAF.

Then I got a girlfriend and got married.

Doesn't stop rep, jambo, omi or fred! (im pretty sure youre all married)

MoonGred

reptilescorpio
Jintor
Choc
Shaneus
jambo
Omi
Fredescu
evlcookie
Yagharek
codswallop
markot
Dead Man
commanderdeek
legend166
HolyCheck
Salazar
VOOK
DeathJr

I completely forgot about Markot, the lack of him is probably the reason why this OT is moving so slow. He'd always get upset about something

Omikron

Here is AusGAF Melbourne chapter playing board games from Saturday night.

nZQ55CD.jpg

(cheers to attendees for putting up with screaming kids :p)

Gazunta

I basically lurk here because I don't feel I have much to contribute. All I do these days is draw comics and help other people make video games. So I just feel like unless I'm plugging something I don't have much going on ><

It's all girly smoke and mirrors, you'll be back once you peek behind the marriage curtain for too long. That or you know have kids. Muuaahhhahh.

Here is AusGAF Melbourne chapter playing board games from Saturday night.

(cheers to attendees for putting up with screaming kids :p)

Where's the beer in this photo? I call fake card night fellas :)

Also on the train strikes my brother has an in-law who's a Vic train driver. He's a total twat TBH but I'll ask my brother later today if he has any insight (the in-law not my broski).

Fredescu

Makes sense. Always found it so odd, seeing as there's only about 10-15 active users.

50 people have more than 50 posts in this thread. As for thread origins:

A long time ago a bunch of aussies hacked gaf.

And then some time after that when gaf was looking to set up the community section we were one of the first to go, and we're happy to etc. So got stickied as a cool mate. And then every thrwad since has just been stickied?

Maybe there's some back door shenanigans going on though.

I think this ^ is closest to the truth.

In the context of GAF at the time, the mods had some real trouble with some community threads getting away from them and thinking they were above the law. Basically having more respect for the conventions of their own thread than of the board as a whole. The two threads that spring to mind are the Football (soccer) thread, and the Rockband thread. The spats in both resulted in a lot of banned users, and them in turn creating off site anti GAF forums. I'm not sure if I have the chronology right, but I think the experience with that (obviously as well as stopping megathreads dominating the thread list on the main boards, for people that like to use GAF for breaking news etc) lead to creating the separate community boards. We were pretty nice about being moved, which put us in contrast to the other fairly toxic megathreads they had to deal with, so they were nice back to us and stickied us. This predated the existence of any Aussie mods. Red Scarlet was our resident mod for a little while after the move.

Moving in here means a lot less new blood in the thread I guess, but people still show up, and the thread is pretty constant and active. Speed comparisons with when Choc was in full swing aren't really fair, and when the thread moves too fast, people complain about giving up on the thread because they can't keep up. I think we're at a happy medium at the moment.

There is a lot less new blood in Steam Chat though, which I find weird. Maybe we need to spruik it in the thread a bit more, or maybe it's just a hard group to break into. I don't hang out in IRC during the day because I wouldn't get enough work done if I did, but maybe there is more new blood in there.

So, new people, come and idle in Steam chat or IRC. There is a bot that allows both channels to talk to each other, so it's fine if you prefer one to the other. No judgement from me if you come just to sit there and idle, but I'm not that active due to life, so I can't speak for the judgement of others.

MoonGred

I basically lurk here because I don't feel I have much to contribute. All I do these days is draw comics and help other people make video games. So I just feel like unless I'm plugging something I don't have much going on ><

I don't think any of us contribute anything of importance 90% of the time. So just ramble to your hearts content.

Do steam groups in general get used often? I'm part of the steam group but honestly forget it even exists, maybe this is the case with the majority of the people.

Fredescu

Do steam groups in general get used often? I'm part of the steam group but honestly forget it even exists, maybe this is the case with the majority of the people.

Group chat really feels like an afterthought some times. They really need an auto join setting of some kind. When I log onto Steam, automatically join me to this or that group chat. Kritz wrote a script that will do this I think, so you can use it instead of your Steam shortcut, and it will open group chat.

Darren870

I think you find that most people don't really go into community to begin with. I know I don't unless I am looking for a certain thread.
Eg when I moved to the UK I posted in the BritGAF thread and when I moved here I started posting here.

It does make sense that there would be a separate section, but I think that new posters don't really contribute as much. You can usually see evidence of that saying its the same posters over and over. There are loads of Aussies on this forum, but only a few post in this thread.

I think when a new Community Thread is made it should go in the Off Topic section for a few pages to get some new recruits then it can be moved to community. Would get others to subscribe or visit more I'd imagine.

I don't go to the off board chats though. I'd love a meet up, used to go to the BritGaF meetups all the time. Never met any of you silly fuckers.

I think you find that most people don't really go into community to begin with. I know I don't unless I am looking for a certain thread.
Eg when I moved to the UK I posted in the BritGAF thread and when I moved here I started posting here.

It does make sense that there would be a separate section, but I think that new posters don't really contribute as much. You can usually see evidence of that saying its the same posters over and over. There are loads of Aussies on this forum, but only a few post in this thread.

I think when a new Community Thread is made it should go in the Off Topic section for a few pages to get some new recruits then it can be moved to community. Would get others to subscribe or visit more I'd imagine.

I think I started posting more here when I went OS for a bit. I tried posting in the local thread for Seattle when I was there but Jesus H titty-fucking Christ, the smugness in there was too much to bear. It was like SF GAF and NYC GAF had a baby.

Fredescu

I am kinda glad the politics was moved into its own thread, there's only so much of that stuff I can take in the course of the day.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's a good point. Politics used to be in the regular AusGAF threads too. There was an Aus Politics thread separately a long time ago, but it was pretty much Dead Man and Salazar and no one else. AusPoliGAF is nicely active these days. It started life as the 2013 election thread and Bern's OP is pretty much the greatest: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643699

MoonGred

How do you know who's who when you do a meet up? I get that you all meet at one place but if it's a bar there's bound to other people, do you end up asking random people? Which leads to the other question what name do you use? Your Gaf handle?
Way over thinking this btw.

Omikron

How do you know who's who when you do a meet up? I get that you all meet at one place but if it's a bar there's bound to other people, do you end up asking random people? Which leads to the other question what name do you use? Your Gaf handle?

Yes to all of the above.

Darren870

Yea...you are. Easy... nametags! /s

You just like introduce yourself. When I used to go to the Brit ones I knew most people by their names and not their GAF handle. Quite a few actually, no idea who they are as posters for the most part. Usually you remember the regulars and the people that stand out.

Someone did suggest nametags once...not sure why since we had been on like our 5th meetup at that point.

Once though we were outside a venue and heading to the next one and some new people said they didn't know who we were. Someone started shouting GAF and a few people just randomly appeared. I think that's actually how Bern found the group when we were in London. If I remember correctly...

You also get one or two people that refuse to tell you their name and want to only be known by their GAF handle. They usually don't stay long...

So, new people, come and idle in Steam chat or IRC. There is a bot that allows both channels to talk to each other, so it's fine if you prefer one to the other. No judgement from me if you come just to sit there and idle, but I'm not that active due to life, so I can't speak for the judgement of others.

Quoting for emphasis. I really hope more people come into the chat.

Dryk

Wait until someone with their real face in their avatar shows up. Then join the group without introducing yourself.

I've had the Brisbane flu for the past seven days. That wouldn't be so bad, but the little guy has it too. He's also a super fussy kid who fights and spits out any flavoured medicine we've given him.

For the past three days, I've been administering paracetamol to him via suppositories.

It's more than a little unpleasant for all parties involved.
o_O hope the little guy gets better soon

I find it hard to keep up with community threads and OTs since they go so fast. I usually only read the last page. I'm also too used to lurking since I lurked for a while before getting my account.

Also since I'm an American expat I have no idea what you guys are talking about half the time.

Maybe I'll subscribe and get more involved with the community.
Welcome! If you need anything explained feel free to ask.

There are a few buildings at The University of Adelaide where the ground floor is Level 3 or Level 4 for some fucking reason
Does the ground floor in the lift happen to have an exit outside? Probably considering that the ground floor.

Just wait until you have kids, then you will be back on here nonstop!

There is a lot less new blood in Steam Chat though, which I find weird. Maybe we need to spruik it in the thread a bit more, or maybe it's just a hard group to break into. I don't hang out in IRC during the day because I wouldn't get enough work done if I did, but maybe there is more new blood in there.

Possibly related to people shifting back to consoles? Last gen ran long and a lot of people jumped into PC gaming, I noticed quite a few (myself included) have basically stopped PC gaming since PS4/X1 released.

Dryk

The Steam chat annoys me because I can't figure out who anyone is because you all use different handles. Put a guide in the OP or something :p

jambo

Just wait until you have kids, then you will be back on here nonstop!

It's crazy how much my computer and gaming habits have changed since having our kid.

Other than a few hours every now and then, the vast majority of my gaming is now console and mobile.

I even finished Diablo III on XBone and am playing on getting another character up to lvl 70.

I haven't played CSGO in 3 months.

The Steam chat annoys me because I can't figure out who anyone is because you all use different handles. Put a guide in the OP or something :p

You can ask, we won't bite.

Fredescu

Possibly related to people shifting back to consoles? Last gen ran long and a lot of people jumped into PC gaming, I noticed quite a few (myself included) have basically stopped PC gaming since PS4/X1 released.

It's not like Steam growth has slowed, so I don't think it's that, but a lot of that growth seems to be from a handful of games. I've seen a lot of sentiment lately that mid budget indie games aren't making their sales targets now that Steam has opened way up, and this group of people that buy everything is sort of dwarfed by the big guns. The usefulness of the Steam group is probably based on people with broad tastes wanting to try a bunch of different games. If all you want to play is CS:GO or DOTA, you can seek out a community based around those games rather than a general group based on a thread on a general gaming forum. (Not saying there's anything wrong with using the Steam group for those games, just making the point that the number of people that might want to seek out an AusGAF style Steam group might not be that big to begin with, as there are plenty of existing communities serving the need for the big games.)

It's crazy how much my computer and gaming habits have changed since having our kid.

Other than a few hours every now and then, the vast majority of my gaming is now console and mobile.

It will change again once your kid can play with you! After nearly 100%ing Super Mario 3D World (only Champions Road left, but screw trying to beat that), we have now 100%ed Lego City:Undercover. So after doing that, I tried to get him into different Lego games, but he loves Lego City so much that we're playing it again on a new save file. I would never have done that under my own steam, but it's kind of fun going through the story again. Some of the foreshadowing is hilarious too, and they take place in once off overworld events, rather than the replayable levels, so there's humour that only seems to work if you play the whole thing through more than once.

Hear you on mobile too. I finished You Must Build a Boat five times, and I have 120 people in Fallout Shelter. Fallout Shelter isn't even that fun, it's kind of annoying really, but eh, casual bar filling. Alphabear is good too, but just reminds me of my shitty vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom