• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventron

Halfbrick has had a steady stream of flight over the past year or so. Rlan was the last person I knew who didn't have "ex-" in front of his Halfbrick job description, but the difference here is that this seems to be a layoff rather than resignation.

I've heard off-the-record stories of company culture from several people and, well...

Ventron

Pfft, what's the big deal, anyone can be a game designer these days, it's not a special skill
/s

I kno rite, look how many games are out there, that's proof!
also /s but I hope nobody needed that

Between this and other things I've heard, I don't think govt funds stopping was the cause, I think there's a strategy shift underway and not for the better creativity-wise.

Heads of the company must have bought Super Mario Maker over the weekend

Sorry, bad joke :/

I laughed.

...and am also sorry :/

Stackboy

That really sucks about the Halfbrick firings. I applied for a job there a few years ago and got an interview, but looking back I'm glad I didn't get the role.

I too bought Super Mario Maker on the weekend with the amiibo. I'll probably never use the amiibo but the game is just so fantastic. I'm having an awful day at work today and I know Super Mario Maker will cheer me up this afternoon.

Also, I am jonesing for new Destiny content tomorrow!

Danoss

May or may not have just been spoiled the genius season 4 result by Hong Jinho's facebook lol

Damn man, that sucks. Don't worry, we'll demote him to the King of Bronze.

Using the weakest of segues into SC2, did anybody here catch the finals of WCS Season 3? Some seriously awesome games were on display and the casting was top-notch. The atmosphere at the live semi-finals was better than some non-e sports events I've attended.

I've never felt the desire to attend an esports event, but seeing the crowd here has completely turned that around. I don't know how well the crowd's cheers carry through to the players ears (if at all), given this not desirable for many games, especially when the casters are likely to be heard too. This may be the only downside—having the ability to inspire your favourite player/team gives the live experience another level of meaningful participation that is lacking when watching remotely. It's likely there is a solution to this, if others feel the same way, but it will take a while to implement, test, and iterate until there's something suitable for both players and spectators.

20INfnD.gif

This is brilliant and cracks me up! I've heard people mentioning a game called Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and the name is all I know about it. If someone told me this was it, I'd believe them.

I love how everyone's jumping up and down: "pick me, pick me!" Some are hurled back to the ground before the mass exodus, seemingly unworthy. Eternally optimistic or perhaps accepting their fate, they're still smiling. This is probably completely inaccurate, but it's still funny.

So unless Tom's still got some more people to send to Centrelink, are the designers taking the blame for everything not-Fruit Ninja under-performing? If so, they may have already got new designers lined up (maybe ones with a 'more successful' track record. I know some other studios that had done similar things- firing people to make room for new hires.

For those of you who are worried about Halfbrick's financial future, some background

http://www.smh.com.au/small-busines...the-aussie-gaming-heroes-20150213-13dumk.html

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/36-shainiel-deo-20131230-302k7.html

There are other articles I've read in the past that i can't find now quoting numbers north of 200 million dollars in revenue against 100-odd employees, most of whom are rather lowly paid compared to other companies.

https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Salary/Halfbrick-Studios-Salaries-E239931.htm

tl;dr Shainiel very rich, but parsimonious. Games not doing as well as Fruit Ninja, replace designers. All speculation.

Yeah that Fruit Ninja doco they did was quite weird in that quite a few key people being interviewed were done so at their new places of employment :/

Sounds like they are going the way of Rovio. Outsource dat IP for phat royalties!

So where's the cheapest mario maker deal?, and how much is digital, got a link to your deal analysis?

Rundown on prices here

tl;dr dre - Big W/Target have the standard for $64, Big W has the amiibo bundle for only $69!

senahorse

Considering the amiibo is $15 you technically only pay $54 for the game ;)

Going to be a great bday present for my son, doubt I'll bother with it much, burnt out on that kind of game at this point

That's my thinking as well, the idea of it really appeals to me but I know I won't bother making levels with it and I may not play it much. It looks fantastic but it may be wasted on me.

jambo

So unless Tom's still got some more people to send to Centrelink, are the designers taking the blame for everything not-Fruit Ninja under-performing? If so, they may have already got new designers lined up (maybe ones with a 'more successful' track record. I know some other studios that had done similar things- firing people to make room for new hires.

Serrels updated his article

www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=178689185

But according to Halfbrick CEO Shainiel Deo, having no designers doesn’t necessarily means that design work won’t occur at Halfbrick.

“Halfbrick remains a design focused company,” he told Kotaku, “and this change will empower everyone in our teams to contribute to design rather than concentrate design control in the hands of a few. Great ideas can come from anywhere and we want to create an environment that fosters this notion.”

More games are apparently on the way =\

Serrels updated his article

www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=178689185

But according to Halfbrick CEO Shainiel Deo, having no designers doesn’t necessarily means that design work won’t occur at Halfbrick.

“Halfbrick remains a design focused company,” he told Kotaku, “and this change will empower everyone in our teams to contribute to design rather than concentrate design control in the hands of a few. Great ideas can come from anywhere and we want to create an environment that fosters this notion.”

More games are apparently on the way =\

I saw that. yeah, I'm sticking with my supposition that they're taking the blame for failure of new titles.

Great ideas can come from anywhere and we want to create an environment that fosters this notion- this is not a bad idea in theory. but its also how you get everyone coming to you to pitch the game they played last night. Lots of Metal Gear Solid V pitches ATM.

once you have the great idea, you do need someone to turn that into a workable blueprint, that's what designers do. They hammer out the details so programmers and artists know what they hell they are doing. Designers design the systems in the game and then make sure those systems work with other systems "scoring, health, hitpoits, damage, checkpoints, upgrades, gameflow, NPC, etc." Once you have more than a few people on a project, that documentation is critical to making something.

also, with a few exceptions of course, programmers are usually lousy designers.

Gazunta

Yeeeep.

The thing is though, SOMEone has to actually write the design doc. Even in an environment where people feel like they can pitch in ideas, someone needs to settle it into one cohesive whole for people to work from. Otherwise it's a mess. I've been on projects that have done both approaches and I dunno about you but I can tell the difference.

Also this might all just be a move to prevent any future game design stars from leaving and setting up their own shop across town

Shaneus

Yeeeep.

The thing is though, SOMEone has to actually write the design doc. Even in an environment where people feel like they can pitch in ideas, someone needs to settle it into one cohesive whole for people to work from. Otherwise it's a mess. I've been on projects that have done both approaches and I dunno about you but I can tell the difference.

Also this might all just be a move to prevent any future game design stars from leaving and setting up their own shop across town
Almost wondering if Rlan and the other dude (I'm sorry other dude, you're not on GAF so I can't remember your name :( ) might move over to PrettyGreat as well. Would make a formidable team!

Yeeeep.

which category do Ty 2 and Ty 3 GBA fall into?

Gazunta

which category do Ty 2 and Ty 3 GBA fall into?

Eh, conversion work is kinda different though, since many of the gameplay systems are already defined and you're just kind of squeezing it into a different scale. Still, I think TY 2 was more collaborative than 3, mainly because we had to spend so much time on Spyro while 3 was being made.

Now THERE'S a project where everyone put their own design into the game

Is there a bundle? I want the full vanilla game + the expansion too.

Or at least just the game.

Couple of bundles. Best option is to buy TTK at retail which comes with Destiny, Expansion 1, Expansion 2 and The Take King expansion. $79 at Big W/JB.

There is a digital bundle too but that's like $99.

I'm heading off to Costco tomorrow for the first time (it's literally on the opposite end of Brisbane from where I live so it's kind of going to take most of the day. No I know how northsiders feel when they venture to Ikea, which is only 5 minutes away from me)

What should I expect in terms of what they sell?

senahorse

I'm heading off to Costco tomorrow for the first time (it's literally on the opposite end of Brisbane from where I live so it's kind of going to take most of the day. No I know how northsiders feel when they venture to Ikea, which is only 5 minutes away from me)

What should I expect in terms of what they sell?

Damn straight, Costco is about 15 minutes drive for me, Ikea and our Mazda Dealership is more like 40.

edit: though they are building an Ikea near Costco :)

Hi AusGAF people! Hope all is well.

Just popped in to say that The Saboteur is on sale for $2.99 on the Origin store! If you like fun you should buy that game and then play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom