• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

quabba

Poor fragile little ego, my god. It sounds too realistic to be a troll I reckon. You could probably add a bit more drama and still get away with it if you were trolling.

Ha too funny and sad. Hope she dumps him (or he matures into a decent human being).

jambo

He probably got angry that she had more reddit attention than him

5xO0jg7.gif

JC Sera

tl;dr of the story IIRC
GF dates a guy who is very into gaming culture. She doesn't really do it, every time he tries to get her into gaming she gives its a shot but only lasts for 20 minutes before getting fed up. She used to play mario as a a kid but thats about it.

Her boyfriend buys super mario maker, and she watches him play for an hour and goes can I have a go? He goes yeah sure and heads out to work.
She plays for an hour, gets bored uploads some levels. Goes off and does other stuff, like knitting.
She comes back and she got 60 stars on her level. Oh cool! She starts liking the artistic aspect of the game and makes a couple more levels for another hour. Her boyfriend comes home. He plays her levels, say they are good but amateur and says "I'll show you how" and opens up his account. Apparently he likes to make "really hard levels". Only 3 people had played his levels.

He plays it for the rest of the night in a bit of a miff then came up to her the next day and said "you have to stop playing I think you are obsessed at this point"

She had played 3 hours of the game.
He had played 23.

He then said you should focus on knitting and catching up on pretty little liars to find out the major twist.
She said she did last week. He then yells at her well something something tv show for teenage girls.
Shes getting annoyed now and asks "where is this coming from"
"It looks bad my girlfriend is better than me at this game"
"Thats silly"
"What if I was better than you at knitting"
"That would be great! Its actually always been a cool dream of mine to make a blanket together that we could snuggle under in the winter"
"You don't understand, and I'm also password locking you out of the game now"

Fredescu

I went to effort to extract the original OP from my mobile cache and then realised that if she wanted to delete it, maybe I should respect that, and JC's post is pretty much the gist anyway.

jambo

It's funny because my wife actually IS better at making levels than me, but I find that awesome.

I help her to add or change stuff, but she still comes up with the bulk of levels that have been uploaded so far on my account. She's got a few stars and comments too.

She's not as good at playing them, so most of them I will finish and she has no real interest in the 10/100 Mario Challenge.

....I wonder if my wife wants to knit a blanket with me

Well not knit, it's crocheting or whatever the fuck you call it. Same shit.

Also holy shit, if my wife was making popular gaming levels I'd exploit the shit out of that rather than crack the sads lol

Rizzi

For every good level that someone makes, like 100 people make absolute trash.
Yes you can stack eight enemies on top of each other, play sound effects every time you hit something or make obnoxious blind leaps of faith.
Doesn't mean you should though.

Darren870

For every good level that someone makes, like 100 people make absolute trash.
Yes you can stack eight enemies on top of each other, play sound effects every time you hit something or make obnoxious blind leaps of faith.
Doesn't mean you should though.

Its pretty much how all level editors work though. Look at any game like that. Little Big Planet, Battle Block Theater, Warcraft 3, Even racing games. You get some amazing ones where people put in a lot of time. Then you get the absolute shit ones where people get bored after 5 mins. I am in the latter category....hate level editors. My attention span isn't long enough.

Anyway, Spring is upon us in Melbourne! Finally nice weather! I missed last weekend due to having to work 24 hours between two days. So can't fucking wait to hit a pub and sit in a beer garden with a massive pint. It will be massive!!

Also, trying to find a place to go over xmas holidays. Of course everything is expensive, which is to be expected.

Can get some reasonable flights to Bali still though. Haven't been there yet ... and yes I will be avoiding Kuta at all costs.
Otherwise, road trip around Aus. But thats probably going to be way more then the flights to Bali saying accommodation will be at a high!

Yrael

Yaaaaaaay! I managed to get that discounted FIFA 15 Xbox One bundle from Target today. I phoned around the morning the discount was announced and found one left in a distant store in my state, and arranged to have it transferred for me to collect at a closer Target. It finally arrived today. Even better, I was able to use some vouchers I had for the shopping centre complex to bring the price down to $209. I got Sunset Overdrive last week while it was still discounted at Target, and also Rare Replay from Mighty Ape.

Also, the FIFA 15 code was meant to have expired on the 30th of June (which I guess is the reason for the big discount on the bundle)...but I tried the two download codes for the legends pack + game and they still worked, somehow, despite being past the expiry date. So all in all, I spent around 260 dollary-doos to get an Xbox One with three games. Pretty damn chuffed right now! :)

tl;dr of the story IIRC
GF dates a guy who is very into gaming culture. She doesn't really do it, every time he tries to get her into gaming she gives its a shot but only lasts for 20 minutes before getting fed up. She used to play mario as a a kid but thats about it.

Her boyfriend buys super mario maker, and she watches him play for an hour and goes can I have a go? He goes yeah sure and heads out to work.
She plays for an hour, gets bored uploads some levels. Goes off and does other stuff, like knitting.
She comes back and she got 60 stars on her level. Oh cool! She starts liking the artistic aspect of the game and makes a couple more levels for another hour. Her boyfriend comes home. He plays her levels, say they are good but amateur and says "I'll show you how" and opens up his account. Apparently he likes to make "really hard levels". Only 3 people had played his levels.

He plays it for the rest of the night in a bit of a miff then came up to her the next day and said "you have to stop playing I think you are obsessed at this point"

She had played 3 hours of the game.
He had played 23.

He then said you should focus on knitting and catching up on pretty little liars to find out the major twist.
She said she did last week. He then yells at her well something something tv show for teenage girls.
Shes getting annoyed now and asks "where is this coming from"
"It looks bad my girlfriend is better than me at this game"
"Thats silly"
"What if I was better than you at knitting"
"That would be great! Its actually always been a cool dream of mine to make a blanket together that we could snuggle under in the winter"
"You don't understand, and I'm also password locking you out of the game now"

Wow. What a fragile ego.

Yaaaaaaay! I managed to get that discounted FIFA 15 Xbox One bundle from Target today. I phoned around the morning the discount was announced and found one left in a distant store in my state, and arranged to have it transferred for me to collect at a closer Target.

Ha nice, never thought to do that!

Yrael

LL2rcXn.jpg

Good work on the price too, that's crazy good value.

Congrats! That's a sweet price.

Ha nice, never thought to do that!

Thanks! :D Currently waiting on the Rare Replay games to install (seems like it's going to take a while!).

how much do people trust ozgameshop?
they seem to be $10+ cheaper than anywhere else

Ozgameshop is trustworthy. I've bought from them several times, and find that it usually takes around a week for items to get to me.

JC Sera said:
ok
now to somehow find $67 for mariomaker

I think the standard edition of Super Mario Maker is still $64 at Big W (and the limited edition is $69).

Rizzi

I forgot how terrible the wii u gamepad battery life is.
I'm going to have to buy a better battery for this thing or something.

Axiom

I'm not saying I'm an amazing level designer, or even any good at all - but it does make me feel a lot better about what I've made when I play through the 100 Mario Challenge.

Hopscotch: 8572-0000-0037-4DB8

Jailbreak: BA66-0000-0040-7361

Yagharek

I reckon I clocked a few hundred hours of Soul Calibur. When I met my gf, now wife, and played her at it she stood no chance (in theory) against my main, Mitsurugi. Her video game experience to that point was some Atari 2600 stuff and a moto cross game on PC.

To this day I have never ever beaten her when she uses Maxi. Ever.

I reckon I clocked a few hundred hours of Soul Calibur. When I met my gf, now wife, and played her at it she stood no chance (in theory) against my main, Mitsurugi. Her video game experience to that point was some Atari 2600 stuff and a moto cross game on PC.

To this day I have never ever beaten her when she uses Maxi. Ever.

Fighting games were a mistake. They're all garbage.

Shaneus

Yaaaaaaay! I managed to get that discounted FIFA 15 Xbox One bundle from Target today. I phoned around the morning the discount was announced and found one left in a distant store in my state, and arranged to have it transferred for me to collect at a closer Target. It finally arrived today. Even better, I was able to use some vouchers I had for the shopping centre complex to bring the price down to $209. I got Sunset Overdrive last week while it was still discounted at Target, and also Rare Replay from Mighty Ape.

Also, the FIFA 15 code was meant to have expired on the 30th of June (which I guess is the reason for the big discount on the bundle)...but I tried the two download codes for the legends pack + game and they still worked, somehow, despite being past the expiry date. So all in all, I spent around 260 dollary-doos to get an Xbox One with three games. Pretty damn chuffed right now! :)
You lucky bastard! Very jealous but stoked for you. Well done!

Its pretty much how all level editors work though. Look at any game like that. Little Big Planet, Battle Block Theater, Warcraft 3, Even racing games. You get some amazing ones where people put in a lot of time. Then you get the absolute shit ones where people get bored after 5 mins. I am in the latter category....hate level editors. My attention span isn't long enough.
I would kill... *kill* for a new pinball game that has a well-thought out machine creator/designer. Surprised it hasn't come around yet, with all the love for other level creators and such like you said.

Stackboy

Hi, guys.

Hope you're OK Rlan, if you want to have a Brisbane beer, lemme know.

tl;dr of the story IIRC

etc

My wife has played about an hour of Mario Makers and is making better levels than I am. I played most of the weekend. But she is certainly more creative than I am. I just play drums. She sings, plays guitar, keys, saxaphone and is great with visual art. I play drums. That explains alot.

how much do people trust ozgameshop?
they seem to be $10+ cheaper than anywhere else

Nothing but good things.

Starting to get hyped about PAX Aus!

CmdBash

Pre-ordered legacy of the void collector's edition but its darn expensive @$110, are there any other options in Australia to get it?

jambo

My wife has played about an hour of Mario Makers and is making better levels than I am. I played most of the weekend. But she is certainly more creative than I am. I just play drums. She sings, plays guitar, keys, saxaphone and is great with visual art. I play drums. That explains alot.

Did you marry my wife by any chance?

She's better at Super Mario Maker than me, plus sings, plays guitar, ukulele, keyboards and can draw.

Pre-ordered legacy of the void collector's edition but its darn expensive @$110, are there any other options in Australia to get it?

Not currently unless you import. The items should be work a bit to sell off though! Hopefully JB list it at some point. Was it EB exclusive in the past? (Fred might know)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom