• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

4c75MLn.jpg

This image describes my morning.

N0VAM0D

Can I come? :p
But seriously you should.

yes

Do it!

I'd probably bite if I didn't already have tickets direct to/from Melbourne in about 4 weeks.

Do it. Japan is great.

Cheap as shit for flights to Japan, do it is my advice. Top place to visit for a week or two.

Do it!

I jumped on the sale they did earlier this year.
Going in December. Can't wait!

guys

I did it

So, I'm going for a bit over a month in May, it should be fantastic. Now to actually start planning what I'm going to do! I've been waiting 9 years for this!

AHHHH

Rizzi

This image describes my morning.

He just wants to be friends.
yes

guys

I did it

So, I'm going for a bit over a month in May, it should be fantastic. Now to actually start planning what I'm going to do! I've been waiting 9 years for this! and holy SHIT $677 all up, because you just know that 7kg carry-on luggage isn't enough for the amount of shit I'm gonna purchase.

AHHHH

Cool!

yes

guys

I did it

So, I'm going for a bit over a month in May, it should be fantastic. Now to actually start planning what I'm going to do! I've been waiting 9 years for this!

AHHHH

Sounds like plenty here will have some choice suggestions for you to check out when in Japan. Electronics district, Mt Fuji, bullet train, temples/tea ceremonies, arcades, cosplay nightclub, random bars/eateries...oh the food...have fun mate.

N0VAM0D

I know that quite a few AusGAFers have been to Japan before, and probably have heaps of advice about places to go/things to see/do. I'm doing this pretty spontaneously, so if you have any suggestions, lemme know!

Sounds like plenty here will have some choice suggestions for you to check out when in Japan. Electronics district, Mt Fuji, bullet train, temples/tea ceremonies, arcades, cosplay nightclub, random bars/eateries...oh the food...have fun mate.

Oh man, that all sounds so goddamn good! I'm especially excited about the food! I plan on saving some cash so I can go to the "best" Japanese restaurants, because I've spent the past year or so working at some of Sydney's "best" Japanese places and I'd love to compare them. And I wanna do some sake tasting tours and tea ceremonies really badly! I'm also super keen to check out local music scenes and nightclubs/bars!

I know that quite a few AusGAFers have been to Japan before, and probably have heaps of advice about places to go/things to see/do. I'm doing this pretty spontaneously, so if you have any suggestions, lemme know!

Oh man, that all sounds so goddamn good! I'm especially excited about the food! I plan on saving some cash so I can go to the "best" Japanese restaurants, because I've spent the past year or so working at some of Sydney's "best" Japanese places and I'd love to compare them. And I wanna do some sake tasting tours and tea ceremonies really badly! I'm also super keen to check out local music scenes and nightclubs/bars!
I did a very detailed step-by-step itinerary up for myself and my now-wife that had Google Street view directions and everything.

If you want I can dig it up.

Rizzi

You sound very excited. :D

N0VAM0D

I did a very detailed step-by-step itinerary up for myself and my now-wife that had Google Street view directions and everything.

If you want I can dig it up.

I would appreciate that immensely if it isn't too much trouble! Where did you end up going?

You sound very excited. :D

That's a total understatement.

It's mainly because I studied the language all through high school and I missed out on the school trip there and I also wasn't able to do the student exchange that I was invited to do due to to other commitments. I was so upset, and now, after all these years, I'm finally going to go and do whatever I want while I'm there! It'll also be a great opportunity to use the language and to study the Japanese aesthetic in graphic design, along with a whole lot of other things. eeeeeeee

I would appreciate that immensely if it isn't too much trouble! Where did you end up going?

That's a total understatement.

It's mainly because I studied the language all through high school and I missed out on the school trip there and I also wasn't able to do the student exchange that I was invited to do due to to other commitments. I was so upset, and now, after all these years, I'm finally going to go and do whatever I want while I'm there! It'll also be a great opportunity to use the language and to study the Japanese aesthetic in graphic design, along with a whole lot of other things. eeeeeeee
Congrats! Sounds like a life long dream finally realised!

Wife has a similar story but with France so I can understand the sentiment!

We did a three week tour of Honshu (the main island). We started in Osaka, did Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara, Takayama, Kanazawa, Shirakawa-go and Tokyo, just off the top of my head. Basically we did a tour of pretty places.

Give me an hour or two and I'll find the itinerary.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Jelly of Japan trips. Enjoy.

Also, so guys, this new pope. He seems a bit alright.

Last week, house a refugee family thanks churches.
This week, be charitable or lose tax exempt status kbai

r1chard

Bit of backlog night now that I've hit just over 600 hours in KSP and played a bit of RimWorld:

Satellite Reign (Kickstarter) was OK, but didn't really grab me. I played Syndicate back in the day and this was less fun. The controls, in particular, are quite difficult to mash at in heated combat.

Vessel was OK. I hit a puzzle that just looked like a lot of work, rather than anything particularly puzzling, so I stopped. Pretty, and the music was cool. 0.3 hours of play time.

Backlog still has heaps in it, but I don't want to play any of it. Hmm. Bedlam looks like it could have been my thing, but the RPS review I read today kinda makes me feel like it'll be too frustrating.

Gazunta

I'm just happy that AUsGAF collectively encouraged someone to go to Japan. We're at our best when we enable people to make purchases
and we can live vicariously through them

Meanwhile, I've been playing a long game of your mobile match3 game, Richard. For the last couple of weeks I had the same game going - only playing a few minutes at a time - and managed to smash my previous score with a whopping 5936. I have no idea if that good or not, but it felt great beating my previous high score by 5000.

Thanks for the game, Richard.

Yagharek

i dont get it can you describe it with words

I had a snake try and get inside today. Ive previously had a gwardar (western brown) get inside overnight and discovered him when I was about to drop my trousers in the bathroom that is out of shot but near that window.

This snake looks very similar to a gwardar to the untrained eye. I found out today its actually a reticulated whip snake, and can jump about 60cm but is not really any more venomous than a bee.

Luckily this one didn't try and force an entry; it ended up climbing inside the wall cavity between the frame and cladding.

Okay N0VAM0D, I've sent you a Dropbox link of the itinerary we did via PM. It's mostly step by step directions on how to use the trains in a country where you're functionally illiterate. It's a little out of date, but I hope you find it useful.

I forget, are you going alone or with a lady friend? If the latter, you should consider a place called Maica in Kyoto. It's a place that lets women dress up like geishas with traditional makeup and everything. Then, afterward, you can take a walk through a local park to take pictures. We still have pictures up on our walls of when my wife did it.

Also, Harajuku in Tokyo deserves at least as much time as Akihabara if you're travelling with someone who likes shopping or fashion.

Danoss

Finally watched the season/series finale of The Genius and it was awesome! I didn't expect anything less, but it's still worth mentioning. Now my comments will feature serious spoilers, so beware if you haven't seen it or are thinking about watching the show in the future.

The more I watched of the intro, the more I was worried that someone won the series 2–0 and they were trying to fill some airtime. A victory like that is still watch-able, but it's a little less tense than going into a decider. Nevertheless, the intro was excellent in demonstrating the difference between the two and how they got to where they were.

Amongst that, and the rest of the intro, I was in stitches. Frequently, I had to pause the show because I was laughing so damn hard. Most notably:

• Dongmin's comparison of a greenhouse-grown flower to a wildflower was poignant and also brilliantly funny. I lost it at "... and smells better".
• Yohwan making his entrance and Jinho noting he'd forgotten Yohwan was even on the show. When he said it, I was thinking the exact same thing, having an "oh yeah!" moment to myself.
• Sangmin killed me when he got everyone, even the reluctant dealers to hold hands and dance in a circle.
• Bandage man calling them "eliminated guests". Especially after multiple people referring to Sangmin as "being killed". Yohwan's offense to this phrase and saying "I told you to just call my name" just kept my laughter rolling.

Did anyone else notice Jinho's interviewer-like questions during the intro? I think his time as a broadcaster post-Season 1 is starting to show. Good for him! Also, his "I'll apply a balance patch" comment was great. It was nerdy and dorky and I loved it.

The first match could have gone either way, but Dongmin just has an uncanny ability to read people and situations like this. I'd like to have known where Dongmin's king was after the game was over. Was that shown at shown at some point or did I miss it?

The second match blew me away with how quickly they were able to calculate the answer. Most of the time my reactions mirrored that of Yohwan when he was shown saying "what happened?" There was only one I was able to get on my own.

Kyunghoon attempting to block Dongmin with that number in the billions ended up helping him by making it easier to spot the pattern. I thought that pi had to be involved somehow, because it repeatedly appeared in reverse to 4 decimal places. This was, of course, pure coincidence because of the number Kyunghoon chose. My intial thought could never work, considering pi has infinite decimal places and the answer was always an integer; also, it dissapeared in the third answer.

Also, once again I had to pause the show because the setup in the guest room before Kyunghoon chose this number made it so incredibly funny. Sangmin's gestures just set me off even more. Goddamn, I'm gonna miss Sangmin.

To sum up the series, Dongmin's IQ has to be rather high. His pattern recognition skill has been on point for two seasons straight and his social play has been unparalleled. As much as I love Jinho (which is a lot), I'd have to name Dongmin as icon of The Genius.

Give Kyunghoon some maths and he'll tear you to shreds. His speed in this match was incredibly solid. It's not always appropriate, as Dongmin clearly demonstrated, but it's a solid advantage. One standout example was his approach to main match in episode 11. He saw that it was a mathematical puzzle to be solved and reponded accordingly. I thought it was funny when people were wondering what Kyunghoon was doing with his head buried in a calculator. I could only think to myself: "playing to win".

Unfortunately his impatience and the pressure of the situation caused him to make some errors that cost him dearly. One wrong answer combined with the correct answer of the opponent causes a point difference of 2 in one round of play, which is incredibly punishing. This aspect alone communicates how important it is not to answer incorrectly.

I do admire his willingness to battle it out until the end, even though he had clearly lost, should Dongmin play optimally, which would be not at all. It's hard not to admire Dongmin's continued participation at this point either; true to his word until the very end, even though he exposed himself to defeat by doing so.

I have no idea if The Genius is returning for another season, but bandage man did say "I will see you next time", so I'm hopeful. But the screen was showing "Farewell" at the same time, so it's hard to tell. Are they saying farewell to the cast that just left the set or are they saying goodbye to the audience?

It makes me rather sad to think (and I was a little misty at the thought) that the show might not make a return, even with a fresh group of players. At least the show went out with one of the best seasons yet; it is at least on par with season 1.

My thoughts above may be a little disjointed, I had to type it up in stages, which may explain it. I've tried to clean it up as best as I can.

Saw the cached version and your summary was excellent.

That poor woman. What it must be like to live with such an ego.

If this is how he reacts when she does better at something like a video game, I can only imagine what it would be like if she got a promotion to a position above his or earned more money than him. I wonder what she'll be doing wrong then. I'm sure something just hasn't been updated for him.

How's he going to overreact then? What will he lock her out of? The house?

How dare she be better at something than him? He needs to get a little perspective; if he's not a pro-gamer, there's a lot of people out there that are better than him. Even they face people better than them. Though I doubt this is actually his problem. I will note that if he likes to make his levels hard/challenging, he will have a hard time getting people to play them and enjoy them, no matter how good they are.

Edit: This guy reminds me of someone I know. His way at getting people into playing Magic was for them to get a starter box deck, he'd bring his own and you'd play a learning game together. The deck he'd bring was his tournament deck which would absolutely murder the new player's. Who'd come back for more after that? What's the point? Heh, "learning" game. I wonder what his thought process was afterwards. "They learnt something. They learnt that I'm awesome!"

Yep, you destroyed someone who's literally never played before after you handicapped them, congratulations!

What would be the best way to teach a young boy how to play Rugby League? Get the local NRL team in and tell them not to hold back, of course! You can laud it over him after he gets out of hospital. Arsehole.

N0VAM0D

Congrats! Sounds like a life long dream finally realised!

Wife has a similar story but with France so I can understand the sentiment!

Yes! I've had a short life so far, but one of my big dreams will be coming true! I'm very lucky that I can do it.

Jelly of Japan trips. Enjoy.

I'm just happy that AUsGAF collectively encouraged someone to go to Japan. We're at our best when we enable people to make purchases
and we can live vicariously through them

<3 you guys

I'm in Japan

?! where?!?

We did a three week tour of Honshu (the main island). We started in Osaka, did Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara, Takayama, Kanazawa, Shirakawa-go and Tokyo, just off the top of my head. Basically we did a tour of pretty places.

Give me an hour or two and I'll find the itinerary.

Okay N0VAM0D, I've sent you a Dropbox link of the itinerary we did via PM. It's mostly step by step directions on how to use the trains in a country where you're functionally illiterate. It's a little out of date, but I hope you find it useful.

I forget, are you going alone or with a lady friend? If the latter, you should consider a place called Maica in Kyoto. It's a place that lets women dress up like geishas with traditional makeup and everything. Then, afterward, you can take a walk through a local park to take pictures. We still have pictures up on our walls of when my wife did it.

Also, Harajuku in Tokyo deserves at least as much time as Akihabara if you're travelling with someone who likes shopping or fashion.

Wow, that sounds fantastic. Thank you so much for finding the itinerary for me, can't wait to have a look! I'm going by myself, but I have a few friends in Japan so I'll see if they're up for it! Sounds like a dream. I am DEFINITELY going to spend time in Harajuku, I absolutely adore Japanese street fashion.

thank you everyone *cries

Yes! I've had a short life so far, but one of my big dreams will be coming true! I'm very lucky that I can do it.

<3 you guys

?! where?!?

Wow, that sounds fantastic. Thank you so much for finding the itinerary for me, can't wait to have a look! I'm going by myself, but I have a few friends in Japan so I'll see if they're up for it! Sounds like a dream. I am DEFINITELY going to spend time in Harajuku, I absolutely adore Japanese street fashion.

thank you everyone *cries

Go to nakano Broadway, walk from the station to the start of the shops and there is a place that sells Japanese pancakes, 100 yen a piece. You can thank me later.

they were sooo good. Also the rest of nakano was pretty good as well

Darren870

I bought the Japan tickets too, but to Osaka actually. I've been Tokyo about 5 times so looking forward to spending time in the country. Missus hasn't been to Japan at all, so it will be new for her. Going to go to Tokyo for a few days though. We are there for two weeks total.

Looks like everyone bought tickets to Japan, including myself!

I was going to buy a ticket for my gf and keep it secret until her birthday (December) but I ended up saying fuck it and said "here's your early present!". Surprises are nice, but we need to plan.

What dates/where are assorted AusGaffers going? Our flights are Tokyo 21st March - 4th April. Can't believe there were sale fares during cherry blossom season, thought that would be off the table for sure.

Shaneus

I feel left out for having not bought tickets :( But the thought of traveling overseas in a Jetstar cram-fest kind of grosses me out. That, and saving for a home is a cunt.

Darren870

I was going to buy a ticket for my gf and keep it secret until her birthday (December) but I ended up saying fuck it and said "here's your early present!". Surprises are nice, but we need to plan.

What dates/where are assorted AusGaffers going? Our flights are Tokyo 21st March - 4th April. Can't believe there were sale fares during cherry blossom season, thought that would be off the table for sure.

I'm going March 6th - March 21st, in and out of Osaka.

jambo

Dropped my work bag when I got in to the office this morning, my external HDD was sitting on the bottom and seemingly bore the brunt of the impact.

Slow beep when plugged in, so I cracked open the case and hooked it up to a PC, but unfortunately the same thing happens.

Everything is backed up, just sucks that I've lost a 1.5tb drive.

N0VAM0D

Go to nakano Broadway, walk from the station to the start of the shops and there is a place that sells Japanese pancakes, 100 yen a piece. You can thank me later.

they were sooo good. Also the rest of nakano was pretty good as well

That sounds fantastic, I'll definitely have to try that!

I bought the Japan tickets too, but to Osaka actually. I've been Tokyo about 5 times so looking forward to spending time in the country. Missus hasn't been to Japan at all, so it will be new for her. Going to go to Tokyo for a few days though. We are there for two weeks total.

Woo, we are all gonna have an amazing time! I'm going From March 10th until June 21st, so hopefully I should still be able to catch some sakura!

so we're like having an ausgaf meetup in osaka right

yes

Shaneus

This feel. I know it :(
Blows, hey? But I know that once the girlfriend and I finally move in together (even to rent) we'll be saving a shitload of money per month and could perhaps find some funds to go on a holiday whilst saving for a deposit.

Still, doesn't stop it hurting now, however :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom