• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

I need to 100% it, but I swear, some of the final character unlocks and so on I can't bloody work out.

The IGN guide is pretty good. I scanned around laboriously for a long time, but there's some stuff you're just not going to find that way. Also you can get all of the cars, disguises, and red and gold bricks and still not get 100% because
the Mario stars
count towards it too.

Going to spoiler tag this but it's more of a funny parenting anecdote. When you get all the gold bricks
it unlocks a fountain that constantly spits out unlimited coins (studs) forever and ever. At that point, you don't need money any more because there's nothing else to unlock, so it's kinda pointless but fun for a bit. My son ran around it for a long time, and I thought to myself, hehe, this will make him think about the pointlessness of money when there's nothing to spend it on. But nope, he ran around it for around an hour, and then switched it on the next day and did the same again.

"Daddy, look! I have two hundred billion!"

"Wow, what are you going to spend it on?"

*looks at me like I'm stupid* "Nothing silly, we've unlocked everything, remember?"

"Good point son."

Octavia wagon! Although the new Outback is pretty great.

It is, but it's not like there are many family friendly blockbusters these days. I know I've missed a bunch of recent deals, but I didn't really think about Lego Dimensions until yesterday. I really need something to stop him playing Lego City Undercover. It's awesome, but after 200 hours it's starting to burn me out a bit. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Two points I've been thinking about:

Lego City Undercover is spoiling the hell out of my son for other games.

Lego Dimensions is going to be my sons first experience with most of those characters like Simpsons, Dr Who, Scooby Doo, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter. Gonna mess with his head.

I still need to grab Undercover if it ever goes cheap. My son ADORES LEGO Batman 3 on Vita so maybe track that down cheap.

Target has PS4 with Infinity 3.0 with timed exclusive Boba Fett/Old SW figures for $479. Otherwise they have a FIFA16 bundle out this week for the same price but it has the 1TB HDD.

senahorse

Reminds me, these current consoles have just about been out for 2 years, and I still don't own either, pretty strange for me (always been a day 1 adopter). Maybe next year I will finally get one or both, the longer I wait the cheaper and better they get :)

Fredescu

I still need to grab Undercover if it ever goes cheap. My son ADORES LEGO Batman 3 on Vita so maybe track that down cheap.

I've tried Lego Batman 2, Lego Marvel, and Lego Movie. Also tried Yoshi, Super Mario Maker, Rayman Legends, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Donkey Kong Country. Nothing grabs him like Mario 3D World and Lego City Undercover.

The IGN guide is pretty good. I scanned around laboriously for a long time, but there's some stuff you're just not going to find that way. Also you can get all of the cars, disguises, and red and gold bricks and still not get 100% because
the Mario stars
count towards it too.

Going to spoiler tag this but it's more of a funny parenting anecdote. When you get all the gold bricks
it unlocks a fountain that constantly spits out unlimited coins (studs) forever and ever. At that point, you don't need money any more because there's nothing else to unlock, so it's kinda pointless but fun for a bit. My son ran around it for a long time, and I thought to myself, hehe, this will make him think about the pointlessness of money when there's nothing to spend it on. But nope, he ran around it for around an hour, and then switched it on the next day and did the same again.

"Daddy, look! I have two hundred billion!"

"Wow, what are you going to spend it on?"

*looks at me like I'm stupid* "Nothing silly, we've unlocked everything, remember?"

"Good point son."

Ha had a similar experience with Batman 3. You also don't unlock the cool shit and most costumes until after the game is over. Son had zero interest in finishing the story though and just wanted to replay his fav levels over and over so it worked best for me to get through the story with him and then leave him to his own devices mucking around, quite funny how kids want to create their own fun in a box while adults tend to gravitate towards progression more.

Fredescu

My son just wants to see bigger and bigger numbers. He played desert golf for a while and sometimes he would deliberately just whack the ball out the wrong side of the screen over and over again so his shots number got higher. I wouldn't mind if he just wanted to do his own thing in the game, but he always wants me to play it and watch me while I'm playing, hence I'm getting a bit burnt out by it all.

jambo

My son just wants to see bigger and bigger numbers. He played desert golf for a while and sometimes he would deliberately just whack the ball out the wrong side of the screen over and over again so his shots number got higher. I wouldn't mind if he just wanted to do his own thing in the game, but he always wants me to play it and watch me while I'm playing, hence I'm getting a bit burnt out by it all.

Oh boy Fred, have I got a game for you!

https://www.clickerheroes.com/

We doin cars? We doin cars. A 2005 Holden Commodore Wagon (reliable as houses) and a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

I can also confirm bluetooth music streaming is the shit. I'll also add key fobs that auto-adjust seats, mirrors and personalised settings before even getting in the car are things I've been missing my whole life, the misses is pretty happy about that too.

As for MelbGAF meet up I can't do the 14th Saturday or Sunday weekend, weddings weddings weddings. I could have done the weekend before though :(

jambo

We doin cars? We doin cars. A 2005 Holden Commodore Wagon (reliable as houses) and a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

Nice, how often do you go off-roading? There's a nice big conservation park near my in-laws farm so that's always good fun. I'm not great in the back seat though =S

I can also confirm bluetooth music streaming is the shit.

I had to replace my head unit after the USB playback stopped working and I got a Sony unit that had CD, USB and Bluetooth. I've pretty much used 0% radio, 0% USB, 10% CDs and 90% Bluetooth.

So great being able to step in to the car after getting off the train and just continue the album or podcast I'm listening to.

Good idea! I've played that on PC, but I might put it on the tablet and see what he thinks.

Hey JGC buddy. I had the same but my wife wrote it off. Insurance dicked us around and we ended up with an upgrade to the Overland.

Nice one, tempted to give the misses thumbs up for drive crazy mode. Shit these things really go in sports mode though. Impressive and I imagine the Overland is another notch up in the performance or towing department. I still have to put a tow bar on but more house renovations before a caravan in future years.

Nice, how often do you go off-roading? There's a nice big conservation park near my in-laws farm so that's always good fun. I'm not great in the back seat though =S

Proper camping at least twice a year with the family and a boys weekend trip at least once a year are the staple off roaders. We're thinking about taking the kids out of school for a good while "in not so many years" and caravanning around Aus. So far I've been in the mud in Murrindindi, snow near Mt Buller/Donna Buang and I'm booking a 4WD driving course for the misses and I in late JAN. So we can properly drive off road and know what we're doing :)

I had to replace my head unit after the USB playback stopped working and I got a Sony unit that had CD, USB and Bluetooth. I've pretty much used 0% radio, 0% USB, 10% CDs and 90% Bluetooth.

So great being able to step in to the car after getting off the train and just continue the album or podcast I'm listening to.

Bluetooth got me the other day, the kids had my phone and pink panther starts to play when we get back in the car...surprised me to say the least.

jambo

Proper camping at least twice a year with the family and a boys weekend trip at least once a year are the staple off roaders. We're thinking about taking the kids out of school for a good while "in not so many years" and caravanning around Aus. So far I've been in the mud in Murrindindi, snow near Mt Buller/Donna Buang and I'm booking a 4WD driving course for the misses and I in late JAN. So we can properly drive off road and know what we're doing :)

Camping is great. From about age 5 to 18 we used to go every year at Easter with a big group of families, as well as a few smaller trips with just our family.

Hoping to continue the tradition next year with our new family.

Fredescu

Impressive and I imagine the Overland is another notch up in the performance or towing department. I still have to put a tow bar on but more house renovations before a caravan in future years.

Our Limited and Overland had the diesel engine, so performance is the same. Overland has the air suspension, so towing may be a little better, but the self leveling suspension seemed to work pretty well in the Limited already so I don't really notice much difference. The Limited is definitely the best of the bunch value wise. All the extras in the Overland are pretty gimmicky, but the adaptive cruise is awesome.

Camping is great. From about age 5 to 18 we used to go every year at Easter with a big group of families, as well as a few smaller trips with just our family.

Hoping to continue the tradition next year with our new family.

Camping with families is a great holiday and throughout the day and night activities switch from kid or adult focused stuff too. Good times. Anything along the Murray or just up into the NSW border is good stuff. So far, post kids, we've done 2 group family trips for a few days and it's been brilliant for all. Kids are 6 and 3 for reference but we had our little girl camping at 6 months so we're a little mental like that.

Our Limited and Overland had the diesel engine, so performance is the same. Overland has the air suspension, so towing may be a little better, but the self leveling suspension seemed to work pretty well in the Limited already so I don't really notice much difference. The Limited is definitely the best of the bunch value wise. All the extras in the Overland are pretty gimmicky, but the adaptive cruise is awesome.

I narrowed down to the Limited for value for money as well, good to hear that backed up by someone else. The big thing was the 5 speed transmission of the old models making things overheat when towing heavy loads, I made sure to get the 8 speed transmission but that's the only thing I've heard to worry about. Super happy with the Jeep TBH.

Fredescu

I made sure to get the 8 speed transmission but that's the only thing I've heard to worry about. Super happy with the Jeep TBH.

It's the same transmission used in just about every BMW, so I reckon it's pretty safe. The big mechanical stuff is all fairly robust, VM Motori engine, Mercedes Benz chassis, ZF gearbox. Likely it will be electrics and electronics that goes if something does go. I'm going to get one of those Allianz backed extended warranties when the factory one is about to expire.

Gazunta

As soon as they announced the price for each set, I backed away. That is going to get expensive very very quickly. I'll just stick to video games without toys in them.

But but my two favourite things in the world are Simpsons and Eugene Jarvis videogames, and now I can have both ><

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
An office of 2000 people and no one I work with noticed my new glasses :( not even the security guard, gosh darn. I should have got a coffee, they would have noticed.

Ausgaf

Turn based or action fights in jrpg? Go.

And why.

I like a the turn based. Every battle is like chess

Edit: hmm ign guide for lego undercover you say? I reckon I might. The game deserves to be 100%'d

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ughhhhhh

Do I go to stereosonics??

Major lazer is the balls live. Better do a side show.

Talking to ausgaf as if it's one person is fun.

Dryk

I prefer turn-based if done well. Action by necessity has a lower ceiling on how much they can give you to think about but a lot of turn-based systems are so braindead if doesn't actually matter.

choodi

Banned
Next car will probably be some sort of Subaru wagon thing.

Already have a kid and 2 dogs with another kid in a few more years, so I doubt a Mazda 3 would cut it.

Go for the Outback. I've got 2 kids and a dog and that car has handled them all easily.

N0VAM0D

So I picked up my glasses today, and apparently they take like a week to get used to. I'm sort of okay with them now, but my depth perception is tripping me out and I feel like I can't get the lenses completely clean. I'm sure I'll get used to it!

I also decided to really get back into my Japanese studies, so I'm gonna give WaniKani a try and I just bought the first volume of Yotsubato in Japanese which should be pretty alright for me to get through! As well as that, I went to an arcade today too and now I'm addicted to some Donkey Kong coin game hel p

So I picked up my glasses today, and apparently they take like a week to get used to. I'm sort of okay with them now, but my depth perception is tripping me out and I feel like I can't get the lenses completely clean. I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Yeah it'll take a while to feel natural. I still have times when I want my glasses clean but most of the time I notice they are dusty as fuck and my eyes adjust fine lol.

Rizzi

I also decided to really get back into my Japanese studies, so I'm gonna give WaniKani a try and I just bought the first volume of Yotsubato in Japanese which should be pretty alright for me to get through! As well as that, I went to an arcade today too and now I'm addicted to some Donkey Kong coin game hel p

This arcade you speak of.
Is it in Newcastle?

N0VAM0D

An office of 2000 people and no one I work with noticed my new glasses :( not even the security guard, gosh darn. I should have got a coffee, they would have noticed.

Ausgaf

Turn based or action fights in jrpg? Go.

And why.

I like a the turn based. Every battle is like chess

Edit: hmm ign guide for lego undercover you say? I reckon I might. The game deserves to be 100%'d

I would have noticed :(

Ughhhhhh

I went to one a few years back and had fun. Though the amount of people on serious roids and wearing string singlets (or none at all) was hilarious.

jambo

Ughhhhhh

LMGXR7u.jpg

Quasar

So here's a question. My father asked me to suggest him a new phone to replace his ye old nokia dumb phone. He's looking to spend bugger (like 50$ or so) all and and has no interest in apps etc.

Now thats way below the floor of what I'm used to in a phone, so I'm not sure what to advise. I had thought about a low end lumia ( like the 532) , in part because I dont trust no name bargain bin android providers. At least with a nokia he'll get something modern and upgradable.

Suggestions...

So here's a question. My father asked me to suggest him a new phone to replace his ye old nokia dumb phone. He's looking to spend bugger (like 50$ or so) all and and has no interest in apps etc.

Now thats way below the floor of what I'm used to in a phone, so I'm not sure what to advise. I had thought about a low end lumia ( like the 532) , in part because I dont trust no name bargain bin android providers. At least with a nokia he'll get something modern and upgradable.

Suggestions...

Got a 530 for my folks. Strictly speaking the 520 is probably better but they're same ballpark. No idea what the 532 is like, look up reviews I guess.

The phones work great, only problem is it's a one-day battery which he will probably not be used to if he's coming from ye olde nokias. Otherwise it's a very basic handset with very basic features that runs the OS well enough.

Is the Doctor Who Lego Dimensions out soon and if so, how much is it? I can't see it in any of the posted catalogues

Not out until November, left those packs out of the guide until they get closer to release!

Wikipedia for LEGO Dimensions has all the dates.

Prices will be up in the air, hopefully they release lower than the $50 RRP (which you can gauge by the price at EB Games).

The Doctor Who stuff actually sounds really cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom