• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
f4LX00vh.jpg

this might be the worst thing I've ever done

Does it have a watermark?

Yeah, I saw racks with Netflix cards on them that didn't have it, and they had Live cards on there too... so figured it would be on them.

I think I'm destined to never get good deals on PSN. I always miss out :(
You want me to grab some tomorrow and MMS them through? Don't transfer money until I confirm Coles still have em.

I don't think anyone ever said these words but my gf just said "i can't wait for the Dean ambrose movie"

Dean Ambrose is awesome, the movie is not :(

r1chard

I just finished The Magic Circle (vacation means new games from Steam queue, not playing backlog, of course). It's a really neat concept and some of the comments along the way where laugh-out-loud funny, and a bunch of smirk-funny as well. 3-4 hours of play time for what's really just an interesting exploration of video game construction, deconstruction and game developer shenanigans.

r1chard

OK, what is it with the randomness of movies only being for purchase and not for rent on youtube?? Was gonna watch Tomorrowland with daughter but it's only for purchase ($15) on youtube. I don't want to bloody "own" a youtube copy, I just want to watch it the once.

OK, what is it with the randomness of movies only being for purchase and not for rent on youtube?? Was gonna watch Tomorrowland with daughter but it's only for purchase ($15) on youtube. I don't want to bloody "own" a youtube copy, I just want to watch it the once.

probably because it only came out this week, there's still a short non-rental window for a lot of big movies on digital stores (usually a couple of weeks).

so you either buy it or need to wait a few weeks.

r1chard

probably because it only came out this week, there's still a short non-rental window for a lot of big movies on digital stores (usually a couple of weeks).

so you either buy it or need to wait a few weeks.
I was scanning through the sci-fi list and a bunch of quite old films were also purchase-only (Star Wars A New Hope was $25!!) but I'll give it a few weeks before looking again, thanks.

jolx1Cp.jpg

all about making it as hard as possible

Shaneus

You want me to grab some tomorrow and MMS them through? Don't transfer money until I confirm Coles still have em.
I got some! Went to three(?) Coles yesterday and the night before, didn't think to check behind the counter. Went to Coles in Keilor this morning, nothing on the rack, but behind the smokes there were three of them! I don't think I need more (should cover me for a year's PSN with some spending money left over, maybe a Driveclub season pass) but if you're in the area, I might grab one or two more! Or I might check out another Coles, now knowing actually where to look.

Appreciate it though <3

I got some! Went to three(?) Coles yesterday and the night before, didn't think to check behind the counter. Went to Coles in Keilor this morning, nothing on the rack, but behind the smokes there were three of them! I don't think I need more (should cover me for a year's PSN with some spending money left over, maybe a Driveclub season pass) but if you're in the area, I might grab one or two more! Or I might check out another Coles, now knowing actually where to look.

Appreciate it though <3

Cool I'll grab an extra 2 today if possible, I think someone else in here wanted one too.

It's only $30 for Driveclub plus season pass on PSN. Tempted to go fully digital with it rather than just grab the pass.

Shaneus

Cool I'll grab an extra 2 today if possible, I think someone else in here wanted one too.

It's only $30 for Driveclub plus season pass on PSN. Tempted to go fully digital with it rather than just grab the pass.
Ah, I meant for the (hopefully) upcoming season 2. Already sorted digitally for DC.

Having said that about the cards, I'm not really fussed if there's no more for me to track down. I think $90 of credit should cover me for 12 months of PSN and maybe some other extra goodies (been meaning to buy Flower, think the g/f would enjoy it).

I just finished The Magic Circle (vacation means new games from Steam queue, not playing backlog, of course). It's a really neat concept and some of the comments along the way where laugh-out-loud funny, and a bunch of smirk-funny as well. 3-4 hours of play time for what's really just an interesting exploration of video game construction, deconstruction and game developer shenanigans.
I hope you bought Assault Android Cactus, too. It even has (somewhat) awesome, non-stereotypical female (android) role-models:
CTNngJN.gif

Shaneus

According to the classic gaming area schedule at PAX, all three days have pinball stuff on! So I guess I need to look for a three-day pass. Bugger. How much were they going for again?

I was going to volunteer for the retro gaming area too, but not sure I can now :(

Bernbaum

According to the classic gaming area schedule at PAX, all three days have pinball stuff on! So I guess I need to look for a three-day pass. Bugger. How much were they going for again?

I was going to volunteer for the retro gaming area too, but not sure I can now :(

How much pinball has there been at previous PAX's?

Would anyone like a free Wasteland 2 key, redeemable on Steam?

I got it as a backer reward for Bard's Tale but I already own the game.

Can I have it please? :) I can see if I have spare keys to offer in trade, but if I do, it'll only be leftover Humble Bundle games.

Is Target the best place to grab Skylanders at the moment? Superchargers I mean.

industrian

That Raspberry Pi thing is interesting and I may buy it. But I imagine that 30 mins into using it the honeymoon period will end and I'll wonder why the fuck I got it.

Hawaii is basically like if Queensand was populated by Americans and you had to use a foreign currency at unfavorable exchange rates to buy everything.

So everything north of the biggest airport is full of rednecks with "America: Love it or Leave" stickers on their pickup trucks?

Darren870

That Raspberry Pi thing is interesting and I may buy it. But I imagine that 30 mins into using it the honeymoon period will end and I'll wonder why the fuck I got it.

So everything north of the biggest airport is full of rednecks with "America: Love it or Leave" stickers on their pickup trucks?

Isn't that how most purchases are these days? Thats usually why I wait or two then realize I totally forgot about it. If I really want something another sale will come in 3 months.

Shaneus

I don't think so, purely because of the options you have with it. Portable retrogaming/emulation console, media centre, media *server*, stream box thingy (Netflix etc.), weather station (if that's your thing)... it's pretty handy for almost everything. Although I mainly got it for the first suggestion (to mount in a joystick case so all I have to plug in is power and a HDMI cable), I'm also hoping to learn how to use Linux on it.

For a geek-out toy, it's quite cheap and a heck of a lot of fun. Also, you don't need half the things in that kit anyway. The most essential things are a wifi dongle, microSD card and the Pi itself. Power you can get from any 10W USB adapter (5V@2A) and you need a KB/M for controlling the thing.

senahorse

Sure the Pi is a bit cheaper but I wonder if they are less useful now with the Intel media sticks out (come with Windows 10). For niche applications the Pi will definitely be go to but for running emus and media centre software etc, I would think the Intel stick is the way to go, unless you love fucking with nix. Not sure how power compares between the two though.

industrian

I don't think so, purely because of the options you have with it. Portable retrogaming/emulation console, media centre, media *server*, stream box thingy (Netflix etc.), weather station (if that's your thing)... it's pretty handy for almost everything. Although I mainly got it for the first suggestion (to mount in a joystick case so all I have to plug in is power and a HDMI cable), I'm also hoping to learn how to use Linux on it.

For a geek-out toy, it's quite cheap and a heck of a lot of fun. Also, you don't need half the things in that kit anyway. The most essential things are a wifi dongle, microSD card and the Pi itself. Power you can get from any 10W USB adapter (5V@2A) and you need a KB/M for controlling the thing.

I've got an x86-based NAS that does most of that stuff.

That and I'm looking at the time needed to make good use of it, and between coding my game, working from home, and having a life away from my computer there's not a lot of it.

Shaneus

Sure the Pi is a bit cheaper but I wonder if they are less useful now with the Intel media sticks out (come with Windows 10). For niche applications the Pi will definitely be go to but for running emus and media centre software etc, I would think the Intel stick is the way to go, unless you love fucking with nix. Not sure how power compares between the two though.
It's about tinkering though. It's like saying "why would you buy Lego when you could just buy a model car?". And things have been tweaked to run with Pi as well. You'd struggle to find an x86 build of anything designed for that particular stick (vs. an x86 build designed for desktop/HTPCs or whatever)... short of XMBC or something I guess.

senahorse

Agreed with the tinkering part, though I would think if someone wants to have a no nonsense install of application x the windows route might be a better option, linux can be a real pain in the ass at times. Again not sure how the power between the two compares and I do remember something about Windows 10 being able to run on a Pi, so if that is still going to happen it's a moot point, and the Pi is the way to go:)

Danoss

Look what decided to wander into my front yard this morning!

kI6JMwA.jpg

The background is a bit busy, unfortunately. Not like I could get the cheeky bugger to cooperate anyway.

Danoss, I got glasses cleaner for the first time ever. It's quite good. I'm usually a use the soft cotton shirt lazy kinda guy.

I haven't had much luck with any of them. I've purchased some and I've made some solutions myself. All of them leave streaks to some degree no matter what I use to wipe it off.

Glad you've found something that works for you!

f4LX00vh.jpg

this might be the worst thing I've ever done

This is the best thing. I mistook them for fridge magnets at first glance (you should totally make fridge magnets).

r1chard

Played some more Satellite Reign today. It's almost growing on me. Almost. If only the combat didn't just devolve into mindless gunfire every time :/

Watched Avatar with daughter. It's her new favorite film. Who'd a thunk the 11yo girl would really dig mind-melding horses and pterodactyls? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom