• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much is a skylanders or infinity starter pack? Do you get comparatively more with the Lego pack?

Infinity 3.0 & SuperChargers both launched at $64 for the starter pack which comes with the game, the portal and 2 figures (along with playset figure for Infinity since they aren't build into the game like Skylanders).

Dimensions comes with the game, the portal, 3 figures and a vehicle figure. It also comes as little LEGO pieces pretty sure, someone reported 200+ LEGO pieces in the starter pack which is why I assume it's so expensive (RRP $170, today is $101 from Target eBay).

senahorse

Certainly is shocking, I haven't been in school (not including uni) for 23 years...23 years...23 BLOODY YEARS! That was the same year that Clinton became president, Windows 3.1 was released, the riots happened because of the Rodney King incident and Kurt Cobain still had 2 years of life left...

Also that year, here are the 1992 median house prices

183,300 Sydney
125,000 Melbourne
129,000 Brisbane

edit: Also, the Super Nintendo was released in Australia that year. I bought that bad boy with the SF2 championship edition pack in (it came with 2 controllers!) with money I earned from working at McDonalds.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

183,300 Sydney
125,000 Melbourne
129,000 Brisbane

edit: Also, the Super Nintendo was released in Australia that year. I bought that bad boy with the SF2 championship edition pack in (it came with controllers!) with money I earned from working at McDonalds.

In 1992 I was 7 going on 8 (my birthday's in December).

And adjusted for inflation, those prices are:

$324,735.66
$221,450.94
$228,537.37

Still fucking cheap though. You can barely get an entry-level townhouse for $280,000 around the Caboolture area.

Fuck, Mountain Goat beer was just entirely bought out by Asahi :(
Yup. Didn't come as a shock, though, as they've been brewing most of their beer at Asahi's large plant in Laverton for the past three or four years (only the Rare Breed and other limited beers are done in Richmond now).

Still sad, never expected to see them sell out like that.

Yup. Didn't come as a shock, though, as they've been brewing most of their beer at Asahi's large plant in Laverton for the past three or four years (only the Rare Breed and other limited beers are done in Richmond now).

They didn't sell out, they bought in!

Fusebox

Banned

$324,735.66
$221,450.94
$228,537.37

Still fucking cheap though. You can barely get an entry-level townhouse for $280,000 around the Caboolture area.

I was 17 and our home at the time was probably worth around $80,000 at the most.

Anyone in London on like the 17th/18th of Oct and want a beer or summin?

Hey I think I'll be there. Definitely within a few days of that timeframe at the least. I could be up for a warm pint.

Darren870

I was 7. Fat little kid stuffing my face with oreos and soda

Wow, didn't know that. Shame. I hate Asahi, gives me a horrible hangover. To the point where I get headaches while I am actually drinking it. Hopefully nothing really changes though, if anything I guess they will get wider distro.

On another notice... I've been AirBNB-ing my spare rooms in my house for the past year about. No real issues with guests, you get some annoying ones every now and then. Nothing too bad though.

Just got a text from the guest there today saying she tried to heat up my electric kettle on the stove top. Guess she thought it was an old fashion kettle...

Not sure how she came up with that conclusion, though I suppose it does look a bit like a stovetop one. But it is plugged into the wall.... 0.o

$324,735.66
$221,450.94
$228,537.37

$230k buys you sweet fuck all. Depressing really.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I was 17 and our home at the time was probably worth around $80,000 at the most.

Hey I think I'll be there. Definitely within a few days of that timeframe at the least. I could be up for a warm pint.

Splendid! Well tickets are booked now, so I'm free from Saturday probs midday to Monday midday! So if you're about I'm keen for ausgaf in London

Fusebox

Banned
Splendid! Well tickets are booked now, so I'm free from Saturday probs midday to Monday midday! So if you're about I'm keen for ausgaf in London

Nice one man! I fly out this thursday. Aus -> Spain -> France -> Holland -> London -> Spain -> Home and I'm sure I'm in London when you are but will have to check with my itinerary missus for the exact dates,

Certainly is shocking, I haven't been in school (not including uni) for 23 years...23 years...23 BLOODY YEARS! That was the same year that Clinton became president, Windows 3.1 was released, the riots happened because of the Rodney King incident and Kurt Cobain still had 2 years of life left...

183,300 Sydney
125,000 Melbourne
129,000 Brisbane

edit: Also, the Super Nintendo was released in Australia that year. I bought that bad boy with the SF2 championship edition pack in (it came with 2 controllers!) with money I earned from working at McDonalds.

i'm late on this convo, but 1992 was also during a pretty severe recession after a major housing 'correction' when mortgage rates were about 17-18% So some of those median prices would have been lower than a few years previously.

The housing market went nuts in early 2000s. First Homebuyer's Grant kinda kicked it off (it was meant as compensation for GST being added), but the renovation boom (lots of people buying houses, doing them up then flipping, etc).

the house I built in 2006 for 330k sold in 2013 for 502k. Crazy.

another fun fact about 1992 for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3LdMAqUMnM

senahorse

That stupid feeling you get when you realised you didn't check seller feedback on Ebay before you buy an expensive item, go back to check, see 0 feedback (2 day old account) and it dawns on you, you have been duped, which is actually a good thing! As what I did buy wouldn't have been sufficient, huzzah, now to play the dispute resolution waiting game :/

i'm late on this convo, but 1992 was also during a pretty severe recession after a major housing 'correction' when mortgage rates were about 17-18% So some of those median prices would have been lower than a few years previously.

The housing market went nuts in early 2000s. First Homebuyer's Grant kinda kicked it off (it was meant as compensation for GST being added), but the renovation boom (lots of people buying houses, doing them up then flipping, etc).

the house I built in 2006 for 330k sold in 2013 for 502k. Crazy.

another fun fact about 1992 for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3LdMAqUMnM

Yeah, you're right, crazy all the same. Also thanks for making me feel young, only a couple of years, but still!

MoonGred

That stupid feeling you get when you realised you didn't check seller feedback on Ebay before you buy an expensive item, go back to check, see 0 feedback (2 day old account) and it dawns on you, you have been duped, which is actually a good thing! As what I did buy wouldn't have been sufficient, huzzah, now to play the dispute resolution waiting game :/

Yeah, you're right, crazy all the same. Also thanks for making me feel young, only a couple of years, but still!

What did you buy if you don't mind me asking?

Danoss

$230k buys you sweet fuck all. Depressing really.

Couldn't buy the block of land my gran's house is on for that. A large number of the houses in my area that are/will be up for sale are post-war fibro houses. The $650k+ prices are land value only, with the houses getting knocked down in favour of something more modern.

The blocks of land are sizeable—nothing like what you see in new estates these days—which has encouraged a considerable number of buyers to construct duplexes and then rent or sell twice. Of the numerous houses in my street alone, not one has been torn down, constructed, and occupied by the same people. It's disgusting.

A friend of mine lives in a house 2kms from mine and is on one of the tallest hills in western Sydney. It has been there for over a century. You can stand in his front yard and see Centrepoint tower and the surrounding CBD with ease. His area has recently been re-zoned to R3 medium density residential. Multiple adjoining blocks have already been acquired by developers. Goodbye lovely view.

The street behind mine and a few past it have been allocated R3 zoning too. It used to be housing commission, but was sold off a while ago. Now it's ready for developers to fill it up with units. The closest R3 zone has already filled up with units, so it won't be long now.

Thinking about the new residents in the soon-to-be units. Hope they like slow internet; they can join me on the Parramatta exchange about 3.5kms in line length away. Optus cable runs through these streets, so there's no NBN coming either. It'll be pretty congested.

Cerity

^ Very similar around us atm, most of our neighbours bought their places in 2000-2005 on 4-8 acre plots for 300-500k. Area was designated for medium residential density (up to 3 stories...) not too long ago and developers have come in offering them $2.5-3M+. Most have sold now which is a shame as there is a lot of wildlife around here.

$324,735.66
$221,450.94
$228,537.37

Shit. This hurts me. If I was living in those times I'd have a deposit on a house right now.... Fuck.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It kind of makes me glad that rich Chinese folks haven't discovered that Scotland exists yet. House and apartment prices in Edinburgh and Glasgow are still good.

Bishop89

yes.
yes.

how likely are you to get broken into where you are?

well... there was an attempted break in last night.

Not currently living in the property, as I am renovating it.
Went there today and saw the window frames were jemmy'd and the fly-screens cut. Thankfully we had stuck some pieces of wood inside the windows so they couldn't open them.

Only thing in the house at the moment are just tools.

well... there was an attempted break in last night.

Not currently living in the property, as I am renovating it.
Went there today and saw the window frames were jemmy'd and the fly-screens cut. Thankfully we had stuck some pieces of wood inside the windows so they couldn't open them.

Only thing in the house at the moment are just tools.

if you're going to put on crimsafe, you need to do every door and window (they'll just go for the weakest point). Crimsafe is incredibly loud if you hit it (like banging sheet metal, compared to the tinny rattle of amplimesh.

The place I'm in now was broken into before it had any crimsafe (it has a big double front door which apparently is very easy to kick in) so now it has a nice solid crimsafe double screen door with three hooks rather than one latch in the middle (assuming you use the key to lock it) but only a few windows have security screens (fake cimsafe- its a sheet of metal with holes stamped into it whereas crimsafe is woven steel. long story but the crimsafe agent I used in the past sent an utter moron to coe around and measure up those windows and never sent us a quote, so the homeowners went with a cheaper option.)

It's also hella expensive but it's the sort of thing that does actually add a lot of value if you ever sell the place and the peace of mind is phenomenal. The safe-escapes are good to have one one or two windows (it's a screen that's on a hinge and there's a beam on the inside that you push to allow the screen to open, but from the outside, there's no of opening without causing a major ruckus. I used to leave windows open when I was out of the house since someone who wanted to break in would either have to defeat the crimsafe (loud) or break glass (loud).

Bishop89

if you're going to put on crimsafe, you need to do every door and window (they'll just go for the weakest point). Crimsafe is incredibly loud if you hit it (like banging sheet metal, compared to the tinny rattle of amplimesh.

The place I'm in now was broken into before it had any crimsafe (it has a big double front door which apparently is very easy to kick in) so now it has a nice solid crimsafe double screen door with three hooks rather than one latch in the middle (assuming you use the key to lock it) but only a few windows have security screens (fake cimsafe- its a sheet of metal with holes stamped into it whereas crimsafe is woven steel. long story but the crimsafe agent I used in the past sent an utter moron to coe around and measure up those windows and never sent us a quote, so the homeowners went with a cheaper option.)

It's also hella expensive but it's the sort of thing that does actually add a lot of value if you ever sell the place and the peace of mind is phenomenal. The safe-escapes are good to have one one or two windows (it's a screen that's on a hinge and there's a beam on the inside that you push to allow the screen to open, but from the outside, there's no of opening without causing a major ruckus. I used to leave windows open when I was out of the house since someone who wanted to break in would either have to defeat the crimsafe (loud) or break glass (loud).

sounds like a good investment then.
My partner is sort of paranoid now after what happened so we are definitely looking to add security to place, and leaving the rest of the reno's to later.

On average do you know how much the products are?

Danoss

We've got fake Crimsafe shutters on the windows. It makes my gran feel safe, so it'll do just fine and I'm home most of the time anyway.

We do have proper Crimsafe doors though. They're solid. I have no idea how anyone would be able to work on that mesh at all. I think the only way would be to ram the door off it's hinges (have fun) or take an axe to the door frame. That's on any other house though. Ours is fibro, so if they really want in, they can smash through the walls and hope that asbestosis doesn't kill them decades later.

If you want something a little cheaper that will help (in addition or as a stop-gap thing), a decent back to base alarm system is good. Hell, even a local alarm system with battery backup is pretty good, which is all I have in the garage which is separate from the house. It has one of those blue outdoor lights and sirens, plus there is one of those brutal high-pitched sirens inside. The box with the components inside isn't tamper-proof, but it's designed to take some time to get inside, all while standing right next to that nauseating siren. It is hooked up to the phone line and is programmed to call my mobile if it goes off.

I don't recall how much the alarm was, but it wasn't a lot. It may not be the greatest, but it is a decent enough deterrent. It'll never stop the prepared criminal, only the opportunist, which is all I require.

Fusebox

Banned
Guys I'm trying to collect some Metal Gear shit. If anyone has any collectors editions or MGS related loot they wanna sell please let me know.

sounds like a good investment then.
My partner is sort of paranoid now after what happened so we are definitely looking to add security to place, and leaving the rest of the reno's to later.

On average do you know how much the products are?

Last time I actually got something was in 2012- a double front screen door- it was around $1500, with a quote for about $600 for a normal window. In 2007, it was around 15k to do the entire (small 3-bed) house I had back them but that had a lot of windows as well as those fiddly double-hung shitty things and we added safe escapes to 7 of those which was $150. The prices can vary hugely between legitimate Crimsafe deaers so get a couple of quotes. We originally got two quotes for crimsafe- the second quote was double the first quote for the exact same work.

senahorse

Guys I'm trying to collect some Metal Gear shit. If anyone has any collectors editions or MGS related loot they wanna sell please let me know.

I have this, would need to check if it's worth anything.

mgs4-eu-le.jpg

legend166

Ugh, house prices. Looking at a minimum of 500k to get a place in the lower Blue Mountains. We're 60km from the CBD!

That's what annoys me when people just say "oh well Sydney is becoming an international city like New York or London! Of course houses are expensive!"

There's a billion affordable houses within 60km of Manhattan. Unless you want to live in a fibro shack in a high crime area there's now basically no houses in the Sydney basin large enough to have a few kids for under $500k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom