• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Couldn't buy the block of land my gran's house is on for that. A large number of the houses in my area that are/will be up for sale are post-war fibro houses. The $650k+ prices are land value only, with the houses getting knocked down in favour of something more modern.

The blocks of land are sizeable—nothing like what you see in new estates these days—which has encouraged a considerable number of buyers to construct duplexes and then rent or sell twice. Of the numerous houses in my street alone, not one has been torn down, constructed, and occupied by the same people. It's disgusting.

A friend of mine lives in a house 2kms from mine and is on one of the tallest hills in western Sydney. It has been there for over a century. You can stand in his front yard and see Centrepoint tower and the surrounding CBD with ease. His area has recently been re-zoned to R3 medium density residential. Multiple adjoining blocks have already been acquired by developers. Goodbye lovely view.

The street behind mine and a few past it have been allocated R3 zoning too. It used to be housing commission, but was sold off a while ago. Now it's ready for developers to fill it up with units. The closest R3 zone has already filled up with units, so it won't be long now.

Thinking about the new residents in the soon-to-be units. Hope they like slow internet; they can join me on the Parramatta exchange about 3.5kms in line length away. Optus cable runs through these streets, so there's no NBN coming either. It'll be pretty congested.
^ Very similar around us atm, most of our neighbours bought their places in 2000-2005 on 4-8 acre plots for 300-500k. Area was designated for medium residential density (up to 3 stories...) not too long ago and developers have come in offering them $2.5-3M+. Most have sold now which is a shame as there is a lot of wildlife around here.
I see this all too often, too. Not seeing it much in Geelong thankfully, people there just prefer to buy and rent out properties. But where my girlfriend lives in St. Albans (and other suburbs we see as we travel) all you see are those ugly-as-sin black brick two storey townhouses with rendering on the first first level, usually with at least two (sometimes three) residences. One of these is being built next door to her flat (it was an empty block) and the construction work looks shifty as hell.

Just so glad that houses in Geelong which are usually really nice (cute little 3BR 60s houses, usually... and single owner) seem to be staying as they are. Infuriates me what I'm seeing in Melbourne and I don't want to see it elsewhere. It just makes a suburb so goddamned soulless while people just look for a quick buck.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Thunder and hail. Quite a combination.

I'm still mystified how you can have hail when it's not cold though. I've never seen hail outside of winter/early spring in Scotland.

r1chard

Thunder and hail. Quite a combination.

I'm still mystified how you can have hail when it's not cold though. I've never seen hail outside of winter/early spring in Scotland.
Very tall, very cold clouds. Hot, wet air rises, condenses and is smooshed and frozen. That's a technical description of a thunderstorm cloud anyway ;-)

Netflix picked up a ton of series. iZombie, The Flash, Gotham, Arrow and a ton of the other CW shows.

Most importantly though, 2 huge megatons arrive on October 16th.

QF5moLS.jpg

Beasts of No Nation

Written and Directed by Cary Fukunaga of Sin Nombre & True Detective 1 fame.
Starring Idris Elba of Pacific Rim & The Wire fame.

dUxBatz.jpg

All Hail King Julien season 2!!!

First season was amazing, so fucking happy they are doing another one. Out of nowhere too, seriously zero information on the web it was going to happen.

r1chard

We've been watching Fairy Tale on Netflix, and enjoying the heck out of it. I like that Netflix offers the choice of English or Japanese (we find the English to be more enjoyable).

Got my daughter's school holidays reading book (Dragonriders of Pern trilogy) finally today - over half way through the damn holidays though :( Took 'em three weeks to ship from the US. I suspect the delay might have been because there was an ... accident with the shipping. Someone's parcel contained perfume, and the book is now soaked in it. The physical damage isn't too bad, but the damn book is stinking up my house :( My eyes were actually watering while we drove back from the parcel locker :/

Looked at another few places in Blackburn today. All around the $440 per week mark. Not looking good... I'm going to have to go up in price to find a nice enough place to live in for the next six years :/

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Is Stan worth it? I remember it being all the hype a couple of months back but haven't heard anything since.

I'd have stuck with stan if they had a wiiu app, or would even let me use them via the wii u browser.

I like.. re watching things a lot.. and stan seems to have more things that I'd do that to, sg1, startreks and others for instance.

Netflix is like... too much brand new stuff and I don't know what any of it is so it's a chore to start a new show :(

I'd have stuck with stan if they had a wiiu app, or would even let me use them via the wii u browser.

I like.. re watching things a lot.. and stan seems to have more things that I'd do that to, sg1, startreks and others for instance.

Netflix is like... too much brand new stuff and I don't know what any of it is so it's a chore to start a new show :(

You should watch All Hail King Julien, I promise it's not a chore!

I noticed Ebay are now deleting negative feedback of sponsored accounts. Wow, fucking dodgy as hell. I saw a woolworths promotion and a ton of negative feedback saying they aren't getting their discount vouchers they bought or it's taken weeks to receive it by e-mail. The account was on something like 73%. Today? Woolworths has 100% good feedback and only 13 pieces of feedback even though they've sold thousands of vouchers. Dicksmith is notorious for their shitty customer service and even selling items they don't have. Now? Almost perfect feedback.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
New nexus phones look OK. No idea how I would use something as large as the 6P, I already find my old htc one to be damn big.

Shame no wireless charging, that would have been nice.

I noticed Ebay are now deleting negative feedback of sponsored accounts. Wow, fucking dodgy as hell. I saw a woolworths promotion and a ton of negative feedback saying they aren't getting their discount vouchers they bought or it's taken weeks to receive it by e-mail. The account was on something like 73%. Today? Woolworths has 100% good feedback and only 13 pieces of feedback even though they've sold thousands of vouchers. Dicksmith is notorious for their shitty customer service and even selling items they don't have. Now? Almost perfect feedback.

I avoid eBay at all costs nowadays.

Cerity

Feedback rating gets calculated using your ratings over the last 12 months as opposed to rating over the account life. Really dodgy if they did manage to buy their way out though.

Yeah it's suprisingly decent.

Only the first season is on Netflix, the second season has just started on Hulu. Hulu and Netflix are a killer combo.

I second this. When I first bought my Apple TV, I set up a U.S. iTunes account and purchased season passes. Now, between Hulu and Netflix, I'm able to watch pretty much everything as it airs in the States.

Darren870

I don't have any on demand services, its really nice. Lack of choice makes not watching TV easier.

I did start watching the World At War Documentary a few weeks ago. Highly recommended!

I don't have any on demand services, its really nice. Lack of choice makes not watching TV easier.

I did start watching the BBC World At War Documentary a few weeks ago. Highly recommended!

It's an excellent series, far better than Ken Burns The War (but par with burns The Civil War)

minor point, it wasn't made by the BBC, but by London's weekday commercial channel station Thames

Shaneus

I second this. When I first bought my Apple TV, I set up a U.S. iTunes account and purchased season passes. Now, between Hulu and Netflix, I'm able to watch pretty much everything as it airs in the States.
Does anything have back catalogues of classic sitcoms? Particularly, Seinfeld? Not talking Friends or any of that shit. Maybe Cheers and Curb, too.

Does anything have back catalogues of classic sitcoms? Particularly, Seinfeld? Not talking Friends or any of that shit. Maybe Cheers and Curb, too.

As reptilescorpio said, Hulu paid a sizeable fortune for the streaming rights to Seinfeld and has established itself as a major competitor. You can watch Seinfeld in its entirety exclusively on Hulu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom