• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

saw The Martian. Loved it.

tumblr_nvjg7mI4171usnr9to1_1280.png

installing Lego Dimensions right now...

I just got home from it as well. Fantastic movie, we loved it. Also we went in 5 minutes late and skipped those ads :D

Jintor

like, what the fuck americans. what the fuck. how do you not get it? how do you not understand? why do you let this happen? why is it always reduced to 'ugh the left is trying to take our guns' or 'ugh look they're trying to politicise this issue in light of the tragedy'? why are you so fucking stupid??

Jintor

notsureifserious

of course it's different. everything's different. you don't just drop it in wholesale, but neither do you just sit on your hands and say 'oh if only we could have prevented this'

senahorse

notsureifserious

of course it's different. everything's different. you don't just drop it in wholesale, but neither do you just sit on your hands and say 'oh if only we could have prevented this'

sarcasm of course, it tends to be code for, it's different so that won't help

Fredescu

Done! Can probably just leave the group open since who wants to join besides us lol.
Done. It's open now. I've heard there's a way to give people moderator privileges but I can't work out how!

Edit: ok, mod option appeared now. Feel free to change the images.

Kritz

Banned
me and a friend bought two of these bullshit things:

SKU042649-003.jpg

They're pretty fun. I still have no idea how to fly them and I've burned through one of the two sets of wings they come with (many, many crashes), but boy for a little sixty dollar flying thing, it's solid entertainment. Thing takes a beating like nothing else.

jambo

me and a friend bought two of these bullshit things:

They're pretty fun. I still have no idea how to fly them and I've burned through one of the two sets of wings they come with (many, many crashes), but boy for a little sixty dollar flying thing, it's solid entertainment. Thing takes a beating like nothing else.

Are they the iOS/Android app ones?

senahorse

This is one of the mini quads I have:

418eL4vs7cL._SY355_.jpg

It has a little camera built in and a screen built into the controller for FPV (first person view) flying, works really well, you can also put an SD card in the controller and record the video. It's a Hubsan 107D (same as kritz's but with the camera). Here's a video of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0BuGLLXSRE

sorry. poe's law unfortunately

I should have ended with /sarcasm, hard to tell on the Internet :)

This is one of the mini quads I have:

418eL4vs7cL._SY355_.jpg

It has a little camera built in and a screen built into the controller for FPV (first person view) flying, works really well, you can also put an SD card in the controller and record the video. It's a Hubsan 107D (same as kritz's but with the camera). Here's a video of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0BuGLLXSRE

The lo-fi quality of the camera is kinda cool. It's like film-based photography but for drones lol

senahorse

The lo-fi quality of the camera is kinda cool. It's like film-based photography but for drones lol

It has a certain charm :)

It's really just a toy before you get an enthusiast toy like a DJI Phantom Pro 3:

09%2004%2020151428577242Phantom-3_angled.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2GMC5tVkUw

Which is also a toy until you build something similar to a DJI Spreading Wings S1000, which is close to and can be used as a professional rig.

fly-5eb0196495fe10daeabd7c471a20f58d.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4rEbCxSW0

I want to go down this track, but priorities and life keep getting in the way.

For pure fun though, I want to build an FPV wing

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7gBPRPKzOY

30km runs are not difficult for these and there have been people do 100km round trips, sucks if it breaks 40km's in :D

r1chard

Another American school shooting. God damn.

Last time I was in the US there was a shooting on the first day I was there. A couple of days later I noted to a friend that the flags were still at half-mast. He told me no, that's because there'd been another shooting.

And BTW, that's how Americans refer to it now, completely passive voice. "There was a shooting". "Some people were shot". Not "some dude murdered a bunch of people".

I've been thinking off and on about getting into remote control stuffs with my daughter, but I honestly don't know where to start. I think getting a car would be a good idea, but there's a hella difference between the crappy toys they sell in those thrown-together stalls in Eastland and the cars they sell at hobby stores, and I'm afraid if I go into a hobby store I'll end up being sold something way more expensive than I need (ie. taken for a ride...)

Golnei

And BTW, that's how Americans refer to it now, completely passive voice. "There was a shooting". "Some people were shot". Not "some dude murdered a bunch of people".

Like they're commenting on the weather? I guess anything can become seen as routine if it happens that often, but commenting on shootings like inevitable natural disasters will never come across as anything other than terrifyingly alien.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Last time I was in the US there was a shooting on the first day I was there. A couple of days later I noted to a friend that the flags were still at half-mast. He told me no, that's because there'd been another shooting.

I was 11 years old at the time, but I still remember the aftermath of the Dunblane massacre when it occurred. It was Scotland's 9/11. It ripped part of the soul out of our country. The idea that Americans consider stuff like it to be just a paragraph between the Presidential race and sports is extremely disgusting.

But yeah. People get shot in America and everyone finds a way to profit. The media gets their ratings, media personalities write books and go on tour, politicians with "answers" stay in power, religions get a number of new followers from the families/friends of victims, profiteering companies that provide "solutions" sell a bunch of metal detectors to schools, and gun companies get a massive boost from idiots who buy a ton of hardware and ammo thinking that Obama is going to take away their guns.

Columbine was the end of the American gun control debate straight up. Any other country would have had a massive conversation with itself about why are kids doing this shit, and if having a poisonous culture that promotes violence is really worth it. But everyone made too much money from Columbine for them to give a shit about ending a cultural cycle that produces disenfranchised, mentally-ill people who resort to violence to solve their issues - and allows them easy access to firearms. That and the message we send to these people: that if they shoot a bunch of people their voice will finally be heard, they will be on TV, and they will be famous.

Shaneus

I think I'll grab that PAX pass if it's still going, Richard! Deliberating for a while, but worst case I'll onsell it again.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I think I'll grab that PAX pass if it's still going, Richard! Deliberating for a while, but worst case I'll onsell it again.

marshmallow has a saturday pass he was looing to sell to you and he was keen to buy richards 3 day or some jazz

just throwing it out there as it seems to have been missed in the last page or so.

r1chard

marshmallow has a saturday pass he was looing to sell to you and he was keen to buy richards 3 day or some jazz

just throwing it out there as it seems to have been missed in the last page or so.
That looks like an ideal solution for Shaneus and cam, but I'm waiting on Monday/Tuesday next week to hear whether someone else might get my 3 day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom