• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I played about the first hour of Lego Dimensions yesterday.
initial reaction. Errrr. Um.

It's probably the greatest work out game since Wii fit
unless you sit next to the base thing- it does have a long usb, but it's not that long- you have to get up and move the figures around, a lot, even if they're already onthe base thing
It's more than a little confusing as all fuck at the start (I am new to this toys+videogame thing, despite owning a stack of Amiibos, I haven't opened any yet)

so far, not feeling it but I've only really played through the first level.

I should also add that I haven't made any Lego in a long time. Frankie says Relax.

Quasar

I was 11 years old at the time, but I still remember the aftermath of the Dunblane massacre when it occurred. It was Scotland's 9/11. It ripped part of the soul out of our country. The idea that Americans consider stuff like it to be just a paragraph between the Presidential race and sports is extremely disgusting.

Though if I'm honest even as a foreigner, the monthly mass shootings in the news from the US has desensitised me to news of those events totally. Meanwhile on the same day I'm totally shocked by the shooting at Parramatta.

Quasar

Got and setup my new router yesterday. A Asus RT-AC68U.

Has been an interesting experience. Such a nice and comprehensive interface compared to other consumer routers.

And really a massive stepup from my old Netcomm N router / Netgear switch that I had been using for years. Sure I can now streaming my BluRay rips wirelessly with no buffering issues, the surprise to me though was the wired LAN performance improvement. My old switch was gigabit too but even there it feels like a noticeable improvement.

So overall I'm pretty happy and can't wait to actually have NBN hooked up to use it even more.

Card Boy

Banned
For those sitting on normal copies of Forza 5 you can upgrade to the GOTY Edition for $10.

Go to JB
Pricematch Forza 5 GOTY for $20 at Harvey Norman
Trade your normal copy of Forza 5 for $10
Pay $10

Cerity

Has been an interesting experience. Such a nice and comprehensive interface compared to other consumer routers.

And really a massive stepup from my old Netcomm N router / Netgear switch that I had been using for years. Sure I can now streaming my BluRay rips wirelessly with no buffering issues, the surprise to me though was the wired LAN performance improvement. My old switch was gigabit too but even there it feels like a noticeable improvement.

So overall I'm pretty happy and can't wait to actually have NBN hooked up to use it even more.

Install the merlin firmware! Quite a few more features over the stock asus firmware

Also if you're somewhat versed in linux, look into setting up entware, there's so much more functionality you can squeeze out of your router.

Hmm. Interesting. I've been tossing up between this and the Netgear N7000, which is reported as having better throughput, but I don't really like their interface (I have experience with custom firmware, so that's not a huge issue).

Quasar

Install the merlin firmware! Quite a few more features over the stock asus firmware

Also if you're somewhat versed in linux, look into setting up entware, there's so much more functionality you can squeeze out of your router.

I'll keep that in mind. Not sure how much more I need, though maybe that will become more apparent once I get a fibre hookup.

Linux I'm fine with (and beyond - I have/had a cisco cert its just not been used in a while and has expired). What exactly is entware?

Quasar

Hmm. Interesting. I've been tossing up between this and the Netgear N7000, which is reported as having better throughput, but I don't really like their interface (I have experience with custom firmware, so that's not a huge issue).

Didn't even consider that, though doing a brief search its more expensive so I doubt I would have went with it instead. As it was I felt I was spending crazy money compared to my existing sub 100$ gear.

Cerity

Linux I'm fine with (and beyond - I have/had a cisco cert its just not been used in a while and has expired). What exactly is entware?

It's a package manager, by default the router uses optware but it's buggy, unmaintained and fairly limited. It's pretty much got all the standard packages with a few more router specific packages ontop.

Right now I've got rtorrent installed over the default download manager and it's leagues better. I've also got privoxy setup for adblocking and rsync to sync my downloads to my desktop.

Shaneus

That looks like an ideal solution for Shaneus and cam, but I'm waiting on Monday/Tuesday next week to hear whether someone else might get my 3 day.
Ah, I thought you were only getting rid of it here. Guess I'll not bank on you having it then just in case.

I decided I was looking for a three day pass too (if I hadn't made it clearer earlier, which I thought I had). Also discovered that Harvey Norman are also selling some extra Saturday passes if anyone was looking for single day stuff.

New transformers game is out? Damn.

Rizzi

I went back at 4 this afternoon.
Shit was gone from the shelves, so I guess they realized it's not actually out yet.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Daylight savings is truly the best time of year. Can't wait for that glorious setting sun around 8pm.

Anyone watching NRL grand final today? Are we supporting Cowboys or Broncos?

My PS4 has started randomly ejecting discs, or randomly beeping when there is no disc in it. I've tried the whole power thing that everyone online talks about but no dice. It's not in warantee- is there an actual fix out there? It's so annoying :(

My PS4 has started randomly ejecting discs, or randomly beeping when there is no disc in it. I've tried the whole power thing that everyone online talks about but no dice. It's not in warantee- is there an actual fix out there? It's so annoying :(

It's an issue with the eject button not sitting nicely, maybe try sitting it in a different way?

yes, I have the same thing. what you do is post in Gaming and have 100 people tell you it didn't happen to them so it's not a major issue, etc.

Unplug it from the power for a bit, get a pit of printer paper and clean out any dust around the eject button and maybe look up the fix involve tightening a screw.

Rest mode is far more likely to be a culpit. It seems to be more likley to happen if I put it into rest mode manually rather than let the power settings switch off the system by itself. When you get the beeping. Power down fully, remove the power cable.

The only fix is to send it back to Sony and exchange monies for them fixing something that they should fix anyway since its a design flaw.

Shaneus

It's known to be an issue with a lot of machines, I think particularly launch ones (or at least, the first model). I had an issue with mine and the problem seems to be fixed by doing this:
How to save your PS4 from the auto eject disc bug (specifically, the bit that talks about the screw)

Oh! Sorry, I missed that :(
It's all good! We'll see how things pan out, hopefully another one crops up before then :)

Not really a great game bit it was a good finish and a good result.
The Broncos were playing for time with half an hour to go.
They played negative dull football and expected the refs to get them home.

darkace

Banned
That shit was utterly gripping, great stuff from both sides. Glad the Cowboys got up in the end, even as a Broncos fan I wanted to see them finally get one after their horror record.

Spinifex

They really should have made more of an attempt to score. They were playing like there was 5 minutes left for the last 20 minutes -- although it almost worked.

Cowboys had the narrative though, I'm happy as Broncos fan to see them win it, with any luck the Broncos will be back again next year.

Yeah it wasn't a particularly high quality game, points came largely from poor defence. The Cowboys right side was missing in action for large portions of the game, Tamou flopped over almost untouched, the Broncos got confused when someone did something from a scrum etc...

When the game tightened up in the second half it became a bit of a war of attrition. Maybe the young halves were to blame neither really stood up and tried to control the game, they opted for hanging on and the Broncos look directionless. A bit like WC yesterday, the young Broncs maybe made a GF a year or two early, but they will win one very soon. Though on no planet anywhere was JT MOM, should have been Milford but they don't like giving it to a loser and JT is a nice story. Still wish Milford was a Raider.

What the game was was a fantastic spectacle.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
GOM has ended its 5 year running of the GSL today.

I'm a little sad now.

So happy I got to visit their studios, and meet Tasteless and Artosis.

:( I spent a good solid 2 or so years from 2010 - 2012 doing nothing but watching the GSL. every night. good times.

the GSL will now be ran by Afreeca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom