• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

GOM has ended its 5 year running of the GSL today.

I'm a little sad now.

So happy I got to visit their studios, and meet Tasteless and Artosis.

:( I spent a good solid 2 or so years from 2010 - 2012 doing nothing but watching the GSL. every night. good times.

the GSL will now be ran by Afreeca

RIP SC2.

Ingram

Some Target deals starting on Thursday:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/214026

Time to finally get a PS4. I have TLOU already purchased digitally and Diablo 3 ready to play. I only recently played all 3 UC games so I will hold off on replaying them for the moment.

Will sell off the Stan thing I have Netflix already :)

I might as well rant about Auspost too. I ordered a new AVR which I need to plug all these new consoles up to my projector. It was shipped on the 28th from Melbourne. I live 1.5 hours down the road country Victoria and the shipping information has not changed once! I'm so over how shit Auspost have become!

I might as well rant about Auspost too. I ordered a new AVR which I need to plug all these new consoles up to my projector. It was shipped on the 28th from Melbourne. I live 1.5 hours down the road country Victoria and the shipping information has not changed once! I'm so over how shit Auspost have become!

AusPost have been shit for at least a decade now tbh

Shaneus

AusPost have been shit for at least a decade now tbh
Pretty much. Girlfriend had a brooch stolen from an envelope (but for some reason the pin it was attached to was still there, in the baggy it came in, in the envelope) and sometime last year I sent my girlfriend a card from the CBD to St. Albans that took a week to get there.

They've lost the plot completely.

MoonGred

I've never had an issue with them. I've had more trouble with couriers, mostly pretending to try to deliver packages and leaving missed you notices instead.

Yea, this has definitely been my experience with deliveries in Australia. At least with Auspost they leave it at the post office unlike DHL which are by far the worst.

choodi

Banned
I have a couple of 3 day passes to PAX coming which I don't think I'm going to be able to use.

The mate who I was going to go with had to move overseas for work.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll let you know when I get them and if I'm going to be able to use them.

Will grab one if mate books flights to Melbourne and if Richard sells to Shaneus.

OK, so I'm definitely not able to go to PAX Aus, so I have two 3 day passes available if anyone is interested.

Marshmellow, you have first dibs on one if you still want it.

PM me or reply here if you're interested. All reasonable offers considered.

Shaneus

OK, so I'm definitely not able to go to PAX Aus, so I have two 3 day passes available if anyone is interested.

Marshmellow, you have first dibs on one if you still want it.

PM me or reply here if you're interested. All reasonable offers considered.
I'm definitely interested in one of the three-day ones :) I think they went for $160, so that plus post okay?

I had a bit of a rant about some of the game design over in the OP this morning. I'm still enjoying it though.

from a design perspective, it's a mess and incredibly counter-intuitive. And that's with professionals designers. Imagine what sort of nightmare user-experience Halfbrick games will have with programmers being their designers (seriously, they'll just overrule everyone else, based on every programmer I have ever met).

the biggest LD bugbear is
constantly having to move the figures across different parts of the board as part of the puzzles. And it doesn't seem to work

so far, it's the least fun Lego game I can recall playing.

the biggest LD bugbear is
constantly having to move the figures across different parts of the board as part of the puzzles. And it doesn't seem to work

Oddly enough that's the part my son thinks sounds the most awesome! He's a pretty physical kid though, which is why building the LEGO is a big deal to him in the first place.

r1chard

Oddly enough that's the part my son thinks sounds the most awesome! He's a pretty physical kid though, which is why building the LEGO is a big deal to him in the first place.

Same here. My daughter loves those bits - and I reckon they work pretty well too, especially the bits with the three coloured portals.

Axiom

Honestly I enjoyed Lego Dimensions like no Lego game since Marvel. I felt that while occasionally repetitive and cumbersome, I never have any problems with the pieces being registered and I can certainly add that playing with my goddaughter she loved the fact that you had to move the pieces to change the game.

Hell the Portal and Doctor Who levels alone were more fun than the Lego Movie game overall.

It teaches things like yellow+blue=green in a very natural way by getting a kid to immediately see the colour combos that happen by just moving pieces, without any mess.

Little things like getting trapped and having to take a physical action to get out of the trap are not difficult at all, but the way the portal lights up there's an intuitive sense of urgancy and easy action in response to the 'danger' that I mostly enjoyed but my goddaughter loved to bits.

Honestly I enjoyed Lego Dimensions like no Lego game since Marvel. I felt that while occasionally repetitive and cumbersome, I never have any problems with the pieces being registered and I can certainly add that playing with my goddaughter she loved the fact that you had to move the pieces to change the game.

Hell the Portal and Doctor Who levels alone were more fun than the Lego Movie game overall.

It teaches things like yellow+blue=green in a very natural way by getting a kid to immediately see the colour combos that happen by just moving pieces, without any mess.

Little things like getting trapped and having to take a physical action to get out of the trap are not difficult at all, but the way the portal lights up there's an intuitive sense of urgancy and easy action in response to the 'danger' that I mostly enjoyed but my goddaughter loved to bits.

Yeah it's weird how the IP leveraged are for the most part stuff aimed at older people rather than kids yet the ingame usage really is suited perfectly for a young child. It's probably the first time a game is exactly the right complexity and flow for my son at his current age, rather than being slightly too old or young.

Yrael

XB1 500GB + Fifa 16 + Batman Arkham Knight + EA Access Token for $498 at Big W:

https://www.bigw.com.au/bigw-catalogues#view=catalogue2&saleId=10122&page=1

Time to finally get a PS4. I have TLOU already purchased digitally and Diablo 3 ready to play. I only recently played all 3 UC games so I will hold off on replaying them for the moment.

Will sell off the Stan thing I have Netflix already :)

I'm waiting for the end of year deals for the PS4. I've got a few JB Hi-Fi vouchers to use, so if I get one this year it'll probably be from there. Most of the games that appeal to me for the PS4 are still unreleased though.

Tearaway Unfolded
Journey + Fl0w + Flower Remastered
The Last of Us Remastered
LittleBigPlanet 3
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
The Last Guardian (unreleased)
WiLD (unreleased)
No Man's Sky (unreleased, also coming to PC)
Dreams (unreleased)
Rime (unreleased)
What Remains of Edith Finch (unreleased)
Horizon Zero Dawn (unreleased)

Yrael

I already have the original Journey collection on PS3, so I definitely wouldn't be getting a console for those alone (though I'd like to have them in HD when I finally get a PS4). I held off on The Last of Us though...I'm very much looking forward to finally getting to play it for the first time.

Danoss

GOM has ended its 5 year running of the GSL today.

I'm a little sad now.

So happy I got to visit their studios, and meet Tasteless and Artosis.

:( I spent a good solid 2 or so years from 2010 - 2012 doing nothing but watching the GSL. every night. good times.

the GSL will now be ran by Afreeca

Was going to post about this after the announcement, but I had to go back to bed. Sitting up and watching the GSL final for 3 hours was about all my sick body could handle.

I was heartbroken when they announced that GOMTV/GOMexp was going away. The writing was on the wall when the GOM studio was sold to Afreeca a short while ago, but I hoped that the GSL would live on. At the time of the announcement, it didn't help that they went to a break right after saying that GOMTV was closing. It's funny going back to the announcement and hearing Tasteless ask chat, which he assumed to be rioting, to "put down your pitchforks and torches for just a little bit" and that more was to be announced.

Thankfully it has been picked up by Afreeca and the creator of the GSL is going across to Afreeca too. Now we will have the GSL broadcast in 1080p, free for everyone. Looks like the first we'll see of this is the WCS decider between FanTaSy and HyuN tomorrow night.

I have to thank you, Holy, who went by another name at the time, for getting me into watching the GSL way back when WoL came out. I clearly remember watching and chatting with you and others in Steam chat as it happened. Your excitement and enthusiasm for it really rubbed off on me and it still lives on. I even got my brother into watching it for a time back then, and recently I got a friend of mine into watching it too (and last night was perfect, with him liking Terran and me waving the Zerg flag). It brings me a lot of enjoyment and I don't think I'd have that if you hadn't gotten me into watching it in the first place.

choodi

Banned
I'm definitely interested in one of the three-day ones :) I think they went for $160, so that plus post okay?

Sure thing. PM me details.

I still need to pick them up from my mate's place so, will probably not be able to mail out until later this week.

jambo

Hell of a long weekend.

Thursday arvo, best mate's wedding rehearsal.

Friday night pick up suits and then dinner with wedding party.

Saturday Grand Final get together, followed by heading to the hotel with groomsmen.

Sunday morning was a big brekie and then wedding prep. 1938 Buick turns up to take us to the ceremony and then proceeds to die when we go to take off. Tried a few push starts and jumpering the car, but nothing would bring it back to life, so we got a taxi!

Wedding went perfectly, I was Best Man and super nervous about my speech, but it went well in the end, got a lot of laughs. Lots of dancing and drinking to round out the night, which left me very tired as Jack had woken us up at 2.30am earlier that day.

I woke up at 5am today even though Jack was still asleep, just instinct at this point. Spent the day at the national park playing cricket and footy and eating far too much food.

And now I get to go to work tomorrow x_x

Shaneus

Sure thing. PM me details.

I still need to pick them up from my mate's place so, will probably not be able to mail out until later this week.
I think I might actually be right for now... chatting to a guy at a pinball comp, might be able to get in on a volunteers thing. And he has some spare passes too, if needed. I'm sure youl be able to move that ticket easily enough, though! Big demand this year.

NewGame

Banned
Man why is the ausgaf thread in a different part of the GAF every time this is worse than our priministers.

K so its hot. Damn hot. Like wow hooooot. Summer doesn't mess around she just gets in there are rekts your face.

There are like 5000000 bugs in my room at night now, sleeping with moths and bettles everywhere and the mozzies, can't stop em.

Christmas bettles aren't around yet which is a bummer. I normally collect a bunch of them because the look amazing, only summer bug worth dealing with.

Anyway beach is great but of course all the tourists have shown up you know. Yesterday was ofc stubbies on the beach day (slightly less terrible than Australia day) here's hoping ACA runs some more shark stories and scares everyone away from the beach.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Was going to post about this after the announcement, but I had to go back to bed. Sitting up and watching the GSL final for 3 hours was about all my sick body could handle.

I was heartbroken when they announced that GOMTV/GOMexp was going away. The writing was on the wall when the GOM studio was sold to Afreeca a short while ago, but I hoped that the GSL would live on. At the time of the announcement, it didn't help that they went to a break right after saying that GOMTV was closing. It's funny going back to the announcement and hearing Tasteless ask chat, which he assumed to be rioting, to "put down your pitchforks and torches for just a little bit" and that more was to be announced.

Thankfully it has been picked up by Afreeca and the creator of the GSL is going across to Afreeca too. Now we will have the GSL broadcast in 1080p, free for everyone. Looks like the first we'll see of this is the WCS decider between FanTaSy and HyuN tomorrow night.

I have to thank you, Holy, who went by another name at the time, for getting me into watching the GSL way back when WoL came out. I clearly remember watching and chatting with you and others in Steam chat as it happened. Your excitement and enthusiasm for it really rubbed off on me and it still lives on. I even got my brother into watching it for a time back then, and recently I got a friend of mine into watching it too (and last night was perfect, with him liking Terran and me waving the Zerg flag). It brings me a lot of enjoyment and I don't think I'd have that if you hadn't gotten me into watching it in the first place.

<3

I regret I didn't follow it as much in the last 2 years. once Kespa got involved it soured me a bit, and I got quite sad seeing a lot of the players I loved just get pushed out. But I do keep an eye on the tournament results, and it is great to see that the GOM players all really picked themselves up and did catch back up.

Again, meeting Tasteless and Artosis was pretty special. it wasn't much, but I was just standing in the foyer looking at the photos on the wall of the past sc2 champions, and they walked into the room, I looked in their general direction and just said hey, and they both just stopped and said hey, and then Tasteless thanked me for taking the time out to come and visit them in Korea for the GSL and artosis agreed, then we shook hands and they went to work :)

It looks like my local Big W has gotten rid of its already tiny Wii U game shelf, replaced by a rather large Lego Dimensions display. The 3DS games are now where the PC games used to be, all just jammed in together.

Nintendo better bring it with the NX.

It looks like my local Big W has gotten rid of its already tiny Wii U game shelf, replaced by a rather large Lego Dimensions display. The 3DS games are now where the PC games used to be, all just jammed in together.

Nintendo better bring it with the NX.

Our Target is mostly a shitload of Skylanders, Dimensions & Infinity in that order. Xbox section is larger than the Playstation section too which is interesting.

MoonGred

It's a bit late for this but anyway. I was at big w over the weekend looking at some amiibos, a dad and his son where looking at all the toys to life options and asked me for my opinion.

I love amiibos but recognise they are useless so talked him out of those and recommended infinite over skylanders and Lego. Is this actually the case? Is the actual gameplay of infinite above skylanders?
It seems to be above dimensions judging by the impressions of aa few of you.

It's a bit late for this but anyway. I was at big w over the weekend looking at some amiibos, a dad and his son where looking at all the toys to life options and asked me for my opinion.

I love amiibos but recognise they are useless so talked him out of those and recommended infinite over skylanders and Lego. Is this actually the case? Is the actual gameplay of infinite above skylanders?
It seems to be above dimensions judging by the impressions of aa few of you.

I bought every Skylanders game through Swap Force and Disney Infinity 3.0 for Star Wars. I'm not entirely sold on Infinity's gameplay, at least in regards to its campaigns. I found Skylanders more enjoyable with gameplay reminiscent of Diablo and Gauntlet. Even though each game has largely linear levels, the varied abilities and powers of individual Skylanders makes them fun to replay. There are also collectibles to find and additional difficulties for increased challenge.

Infinity tries to replicate open world games with a hub and multiple missions, some repeatable. The characters don't feel varied enough in their abilities though. Infinity is fun, but I'm not sure how much replay value it has compared to Skylanders, however, the toy box creator does give Infinity more varied gameplay options. I've enjoyed creating my own landscapes and playing those created by others. The upcoming Toy Box Takeover and Speedway "expansions" will further expand Infinity's gameplay options.

Danoss

<3

I regret I didn't follow it as much in the last 2 years. once Kespa got involved it soured me a bit, and I got quite sad seeing a lot of the players I loved just get pushed out. But I do keep an eye on the tournament results, and it is great to see that the GOM players all really picked themselves up and did catch back up.

Again, meeting Tasteless and Artosis was pretty special. it wasn't much, but I was just standing in the foyer looking at the photos on the wall of the past sc2 champions, and they walked into the room, I looked in their general direction and just said hey, and they both just stopped and said hey, and then Tasteless thanked me for taking the time out to come and visit them in Korea for the GSL and artosis agreed, then we shook hands and they went to work :)

Even if you don't watch the matches, there's always SC2HL for the highlights. Rogue's baneling drops from last week made my jaw drop like it was another baneling.

Meeting Tasteless and Artosis would have been excellent! Definitely a memory to hold on to. I do like how they thank people for visiting them when the camera focuses on them throughout the streams. It's not as cool as meeting them in person, but if you're there and you hear them through your headphones on stream it would still be great. Awesome people that make me laugh and enjoy myself constantly when they're casting.

Stackboy your drivatar is an asshole the amount of times you've made me spin out is a joke.

I believe his username is shortened from the longer "making you stack, boy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom