• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

In 2005 I went to China and bought a bootleg complete X-Files DVD set.

I brought it to Uni with me with the intention of watching it, as I had never seen the show and heard good things about it.

Before I had a chance to watch it I lent it to one of the kids on my floor whom was homesick and looking to pass the time. Yea...never gave it back and wound up leaving the school....

Not sure which retailers are stocking Transformers, think it's just EB/JB & Big W.

Season 2 has it's great moments, but season 3 I think is overall the best.

Season 3 had some great episodes, some of the mythology episodes I hated though. I really really disliked Paperclip. By the end of season 4 it was getting hard to resolve the conflicting motivations of the characters after everything they had gone through previously.

The MOTW episodes in season 3 were top tier though. So many cool self contained stories, feels a lot like a big book of short stories.

Stackboy

A highlight of my youth was being on holiday in America and catching the very first two episodes of The X-Files the first time they aired. It just blew me away. Then I had to play the 2-3 year waiting game for it to come over to the UK.

I rewatched the entire series around eight years ago. Some episodes have got really old, and the first season is a mixed bag. But once it hits its stride (seasons 2 - 5) then it's some of the best TV in the world. I don't think there's any TV show quite like it.

I'm currently in the first season. Some great episodes but the bad ones really wear it down.

Ventron

PS. So I'll be going to PAX this year, helping out in the retro/pinball area! Should be there all three days, so come over and say hi. Not sure what sort of capacity I'll be there in, but I'm sure chatting will be perfectly acceptable.

You legend, I loved the retro area. Come say hi in the indie area!

Just received another box of Lupinball cards for people to take home, although I might offer a mailing list to subscribe to for people to stay in touch after they play. Anyone have any more tips for manning a booth, Gaz?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm currently in the first season. Some great episodes but the bad ones really wear it down.

Sci-fi shows tend to get hit hard by "Difficult First Season" syndrome. Outside of the original Star Trek I doubt that there's any sci-fi show that were immune to it.

Basically, sci-fi shows have to struggle in the first season to both explain their concept, build their world, experiment with ideas to see which ones "stick", and also they need to do enough to win a second season. The X-Files has a grab-ass bag of ideas in its first season (UFOs, Jersey Devil, Bootleg Steve Jobs making an AI, the Face of Mars, TV static, etc) but the last episode of the season is great, and is arguably where the show actually "begins".

Shaneus

You legend, I loved the retro area. Come say hi in the indie area!
Absolutely! I've been assigned to get some pins too as penance for getting in for basically nothing, and apparently a few indie people get allocated some. Let me know if you can make my job a little easier :)

Rizzi

Trying to get information out of Joblink about wtf is going on with my Work for the Dole placement is like getting blood from a stone.
I have been told three pieces of conflicting information now. Helpful.

Gazunta

I didn't see all of it, I just caught the end where they were talking about some of the people who developed titles for the Amiga. Might be worth watching for the rest of it, I'm not sure how you'd go regarding nit-picky facts, it could be completely wrong.

I did think something was up when they said it shipped with a 5.25" drive initially...

Yiiiiiikes NOPE. That shit drives me fucking bananas. History is a) important b) SUPER EASY TO RESEARCH IF YOU'RE WILLING TO PUT THE TIME IN ><

These words are going to haunt me in 2016

You haven't lived until you've seen Wyndham Reality!

That...that was fucking brilliant :)

GAZ! Surface Book, BOOK IT! :D

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS GORGEOUS!!!! I am in love. Oh maaaaaaaaaan I had better start saving >< Kinda surprised the Australian price isn't as monsterously terrible as it could have been.

All the Good Game episodes are uploaded to YouTube these days, if you want to catch up.

Fantastic, wanted to see what they thought of some of the recent Aussie releases...

Gaz: I may well have the power to boot people off the Amiga so you can play Rainbow Islands. We'll talk.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Well that's my three days sorted then :p

senahorse

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS GORGEOUS!!!! I am in love. Oh maaaaaaaaaan I had better start saving >< Kinda surprised the Australian price isn't as monsterously terrible as it could have been.

It's so puurty but still rather expensive, $3299 for the i7 version with NV GPU. Debating whether to get one of these or 'settle' for a Surface Pro 4.

Sit up straight when watching 'Ice'. I think that's the first season and it's arguably the best episode in the entire run.

Agree 100%, that episode was the "shit is real" episode. Masterclass top to bottom (despite being an homage to The Thing). I think we've watched that episode 3 times already this year! First season has huge highs and deep lows.

senahorse

I think Sqeeze is my favourite ep from season 1, Tooms is a great character/monster. Currently halfway through season 5 at the moment, it's a bit of of a mixed bag, though the episode last night was pretty good, Chinga, written by Stephen King.

I think Sqeeze is my favourite ep from season 1, Tooms is a great character/monster. Currently halfway through season 5 at the moment, it's a bit of of a mixed bag, though the episode last night was pretty good, Chinga, written by Stephen King.

We had 'Detour' last night, was a real mess with some good elements. Odd timing how it could have influenced the Uncharted series what with the HD collection out today!

senahorse

We had 'Detour' last night, was a real mess with some good elements. Odd timing how it could have influenced the Uncharted series what with the HD collection out today!

Yeah that one was a bit odd, which reminds of another forest but good episode from season one "Darkness Falls". As up and down as it is it won't be long until we lose Mulder in place of Doggett, I don't remember much from that era which has me worried.

Shaneus

Yiiiiiikes NOPE. That shit drives me fucking bananas. History is a) important b) SUPER EASY TO RESEARCH IF YOU'RE WILLING TO PUT THE TIME IN ><

These words are going to haunt me in 2016
I don't even know how they managed to come to the conclusion that FC did stuff on Amiga. They could mention countless others, but didn't :/

PS. Totally had no idea you were even remotely familiar with demoscene stuff. We're gonna get along just fine!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Well that's my three days sorted then :p
I can't make any guarantees, but it should be okay! Note: I have no control over anything in that area at all. Don't even know what I'm doing at all, other than being in the area doing... something.

Gazunta

Most of my 92-95 PC usage was spent copying demos to and from all the local BBS' that were around back in the day - a friend of mine was the 'official' Australian distributor of Future Crew (ie, the one sucker in the country who was willing to dial long distance to somewhere in Europe to spend two hours downloading a demo that he would then start copying out locally) and I loved that whole scene. One of the few things left on my 'retrogaming' bucket list is to attend Assembly, since I used to read about how amazing that was in C64 demos and it just seemed to keep getting better year on year.

Also Shaneus if you can move the Street Fighter Alpha 3 tourny back an hour or so that would be greeeeeat :p
The ONE game I'm good at but I am already booked to be somewhere else ><

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Still keen for a brewski next weekend fusebox? I'll pm you my mobile number when I get one in England. Or should we organise it all here in the ausgaf thread then

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Folie a Deux is probably my favourite episode from season 5.

List warz:

1) The Erlenmeyer Flask
2) The Host
3) Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose / Pusher / Jose Chung's From Outer Space (this is by far the best season)
4) Home
5) Folie a Deux

Shaneus

Hmm. I don't really want to get dressed up at all for PAX, but I'll be damned if I'm not tempted to dress up as Turny from Land Sliders:
nf6eKIzm.png

Most of my 92-95 PC usage was spent copying demos to and from all the local BBS' that were around back in the day - a friend of mine was the 'official' Australian distributor of Future Crew (ie, the one sucker in the country who was willing to dial long distance to somewhere in Europe to spend two hours downloading a demo that he would then start copying out locally) and I loved that whole scene. One of the few things left on my 'retrogaming' bucket list is to attend Assembly, since I used to read about how amazing that was in C64 demos and it just seemed to keep getting better year on year.
Yeah, when I was right into it (early-mid 00's, but I was into the 90s stuff) I wanted to go to Assembly, too. If one of us wins lotto or whatever, we're both going!

yoooo transformers is legitttttttt
Transformers Devastation is $44 at Big W in their latest catalogue.
Sweet. Still debating whether to go PS4 or PC. Looking like I could get it cheaper on PS4, and THEN I have the option of selling it, too. Shame it doesn't come in a lenticular like Vanquish did.

Wonder if Target will price match? At least it's launching at a cheap price and not full retail. Seems we're getting it way cheaper than the US. Any bargains, bargain octopus?

r1chard

It's open to join, you don't need an invite, you just need someone on your friend list to be in it to find it because there is no way to search for communities. Add Fredescu and you'll find it off that.
Yeah, I tried to search for the group but couldn't find it. I'll try to find you tonight when I fire the ps4 up for MOAR LEGOS

Kritz

Banned
You know what? Gonna stick with my surface pro 3. >_>

Maybe in a year's time when the Book 2 gets announced I'll get a sneaky student discount on the 1.

Don't think I want to spend $3-4k on a laptop. :p

You know what? Gonna stick with my surface pro 3. >_>

Maybe in a year's time when the Book 2 gets announced I'll get a sneaky student discount on the 1.

Don't think I want to spend $3-4k on a laptop. :p

I want to upgrade my Lumia 920 to a 940 but the AUD price is 1100 via ms store. It's like 550usd so that is actually a big hike after conversion and tax. The book is basically exactly the cost of conversion+GST, so it's expensive but at least not a ripoff compared to other countries.

Might have to wait for a drop on the Lumia, or get a cheaper one locked to Telstra or something.

MoonGred

I want to upgrade my Lumia 920 to a 940 but the AUD price is 1100 via ms store. It's like 550usd so that is actually a big hike after conversion and tax. The book is basically exactly the cost of conversion+GST, so it's expensive but at least not a ripoff compared to other countries.

Might have to wait for a drop on the Lumia, or get a cheaper one locked to Telstra or something.

Buy it from Amazon, knowing you they'll stuff up and you'll get half your money back or something

Ingram

Expensive day for me today! Target PS4 bundle, got a year of + from Amazon and I had to buy a ticket to see Between the Buried and Me next year in Melbourne. Good thing I have lots of games to play as it is. Looking forward to the Battlefront beta tonight but I doubt it will be downloaded before midnight. Spent most of the day just downloading TLoU!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yo richard+cam, fairy tail season 1 is on netflix aus.

In English and japaneseses, I can't remember which one of you was just wayching seaosn 2. Or was it both?

after spending a few months in Europe, my folks returned home today. All while they were gone, my mum kept saying she was given a nice big bottle of authentic Canadian Maple Syrup and was bringing it back for me (since, if ants weren't a thing, I would bath in the stuff). It turns out its Kirkland Maple Syrup.
from Costco

also, my 50 year old cousin had her second child today (technically third but her partner had the middle child). Its their first boy and his middle names are Mario Louis (after the first names of the italian and hungarian grandfathers).

So close.

Dryk

Went to finally start listening to Know Such Thing as A Fish tonight. Turns out they took down episodes 2-52 so they could sell the download codes bundled with a vinyl release of a new episode. Hahahahaha fuck off BBC.

Shaneus

Bro in law brought back some maple syrup from Canada, damn fine stuff. Didn't last long though :(
Isn't it the same that they sell in supermarkets? I brought back some from when I was in Canada yonks ago and my memory of it couldn't tell the difference between that and the proper stuff at the supermarket. Made out of actual Canadians.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is cheap on the psn.

Anyone played it on a vita?
Is it cross-buy? Hmm. Even though I know I'll likely never play it, I might suss it out.

If it's cheaper than it's been on PC, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom