• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
What would be the best vpn for me to get. I was considering getflix but I dont have a netflix account and have no real use for one just yet seeing as I leech the parents internet enough already.

Shaneus

Sounds much better to me than his keynote tbh. Oh how the mighty have fallen :(
Spector?

And "the photoshop" is a reference I don't quite get :(

Edit: Holy shit, the new Capcom Humble Bundle is insane:
AA6lbIq.png

Is it worth the extra ~$7.50 to get USF4?

Gazunta

If the question is "should I buy Street Fighter" then the answer is always yes.

I picked up Ultra on Steam sale for $10 a while ago and walked away very happy. Do it!

Shaneus

I skipped on it, couldn't really justify the extra cost given I never even cracked the seal on an SF game on 360. Might've been SF4, might've been USF4.

I think I like the idea of fighting games more than I actually like them.

jambo

I enjoy watching people play fighting games, especially with my main group of friends, but I have zero interest in playing them myself.

senahorse

I bit on that Capcom humble deal just for cheap streeties.

Hoping my PS3 usb fight stick works on my PC.

If it's the first generation, it's hit and miss, works with some USB chipsets, others not so much. Not sure if there is any correlation, but my 360 first gen fight stick works fine.

edit:

Q: My PS3 Arcade FightStick (TE and Standard) or PS3 FightPad is not working on my computer.
A: The PS3 SFIV TE/SE FightStick and FightPad does not officially support the PC, but should work with PCs that do not make use of a NVIDIA® chipset. If a workaround is discovered, we will post more information for you here.

You should be fine, I doubt you're still rocking an NV chipset :)

senahorse

I think you will find hardly any ISP's (any?) are really following the guidelines yet, Telstra for instance got an 18 month extension. Either way, I have been running all my traffic over a VPN tunnel for a while now.

I think you will find hardly any ISP's (any?) are really following the guidelines yet, Telstra for instance got an 18 month extension. Either way, I have been running all my traffic over a VPN tunnel for a while now.

It's funny how they go after ISPs but web/email hosting they don't (what of overseas hosting)? Seems like a massive gap in the strategy. Also when one assumes somewhat tech savvy terrorists these days what does the metadata strategy even achieve? So many holes and sidesteps it's laughable.

I wonder about corruption given local police can access a bunch of metadata about you, imagine a copper looking up a wife or ex for who they're talking to and when etc.

senahorse

It's just a big waste of time an money, most other nations have abandoned it due to being unconstitutional and ineffective. But, China is doing it, so we are keeping good company there. I do like seeing all the articles pop up telling people how to circumvent it. All this has really done is create awareness to the public on how to make your data private.

So how are we feeling about the Aussie metadata laws coming online today? Do you feel safer or just violated?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...you-need-to-know/story-fn5j66db-1227567715454

I'm tempted to make an OT thread with a title something like "This post is being watched by my government and stored for 2 years".

I thought it came into effect yesterday?

No big issue for me. I just use a VPN for anything I use personal details with.

Also they aren't watching the post, only that you were on the internet during that period. This is metadata they are tracking, not data.

It's a gigantic waste of time and money.

I thought it came into effect yesterday?

No big issue for me. I just use a VPN for anything I use personal details with.

Also they aren't watching the post, only that you were on the internet during that period. This is metadata they are tracking, not data.

It's a gigantic waste of time and money.

Yeah I realise the difference of metadata versus actual data, you have to go for a catchy thread title though :)

They will track down to the level of what site you were on, when and likely what browser/device it was with. Basically all the details of origin, destination and communication link without the actual data sent e.g. the post itself. Given all that they could easily go and read what you actually wrote in a public form or user search based off that.

This is where I take issue, corruption and extortion based on metadata and a little manual or bot intervention and hackers/corrupt officials have a system ready made to rain down organised crime hell on the public.

This will get out of hand, mark my words.

Quasar

They will track down to the level of what site you were on, when and likely what browser/device it was with. Basically all the details of origin, destination and communication link without the actual data sent e.g. the post itself. Given all that they could easily go and read what you actually wrote in a public form or user search based off that.

Though they aren't required to record destinations. But from what I understand its much more work for ISPs to not collect destinations that they will anyway.

I'm searching around for VPN options and, apologies is its already been posted, found a Getflix lifetime sub 88% off, for $54AUD. Thoughts? Have heard mixed opinions about their VPN service, but if it's even half decent then for $54 lifetime sub sounds like a good deal! Also testing out 'betternet' which is a free VPN program with a very minimal UI that does the job, wary of 'free' though since the Hola fiasco.

wonzo

Banned
had issues with the getflix full vpn and irc due to p2p port blocking. switched from expressvpn to pia as it was cheaper and actually had less speed & dropout issues

Though they aren't required to record destinations. But from what I understand its much more work for ISPs to not collect destinations that they will anyway.
Yeah would cost millions to separate that data out so they won't.

I'm searching around for VPN options and, apologies is its already been posted, found a Getflix lifetime sub 88% off, for $54AUD. Thoughts? Have heard mixed opinions about their VPN service, but if it's even half decent then for $54 lifetime sub sounds like a good deal! Also testing out 'betternet' which is a free VPN program with a very minimal UI that does the job, wary of 'free' though since the Hola fiasco.

Getflix is great but the p2p stuff is slower than PIA and other options it sounds. I really like Getflix due to mainly using DNS and only rarely using the faster non-p2p servers when I input address/email/phone/bank details/cc/etc. Trying to avoid social reverse engineering over here!

Quasar

had issues with the getflix full vpn and irc due to p2p port blocking. switched from expressvpn to pia as it was cheaper and actually had less speed & dropout issues

My issue so far with GetFlix vpn is that only certain servers allow p2p, and that some sites I visit block traffic from certain servers (I guess as the networks they are part of are bad actors).

senahorse

My personal suggestion with VPN, is the following:

1. Flash your router to a version that supports a VPN client (if it doesn't already), e.g. WRT, Tomato, Padavan etc
  2. Find a provider with a decent network (Torguard, Astrill, PIA etc). Of note I have speed tested all of these and Astrill is by far the fastest, for a VPN tunnel from Brisbane to Sydney I get a solid 80Mbps, to the east coast of the US I get 60Mbps during peak periods.
  3. If you want a cheap VPN service that's fine, for things like Steam, PSN etc you can just put in routes for their networks to route the traffic around the VPN using your public ISP address instead
  4. For routing protocol the best method is generally OpenVPN, most providers have guides for this. If you want better speeds (albeit marginally) go for PPTP, which has less overheads but can be intercepted much easier, though these ISP's aren't doing deep packet inspection on SSL etc (basically man in the middle attacks) so probably a moot point

Shaneus

My personal suggestion with VPN, is the following:

1. Flash your router to a version that supports a VPN client (if it doesn't already), e.g. WRT, Tomato, Padavan etc
  2. Find a provider with a decent network (Torguard, Astrill, PIA etc). Of note I have speed tested all of these and Astrill is by far the fastest, for a VPN tunnel from Brisbane to Sydney I get a solid 80Mbps, to the east coast of the US I get 60Mbps during peak periods.
  3. If you want a cheap VPN service that's fine, for things like Steam, PSN etc you can just put in routes for their networks to route the traffic around the VPN using your public ISP address instead
  4. For routing protocol the best method is generally OpenVPN, most providers have guides for this. If you want better speeds (albeit marginally) go for PPTP, which has less overheads but can be intercepted much easier, though these ISP's aren't doing deep packet inspection on SSL etc (basically man in the middle attacks) so probably a moot point
Wait... it's possible so that certain programs (that go to certain addresses) use VPN connections? I had no idea such a thing existed. But this is good though, because my router supports (and currently runs) DD-WRT :)

senahorse

Wait... it's possible so that certain programs (that go to certain addresses) use VPN connections? I had no idea such a thing existed. But this is good though, because my router supports (and currently runs) DD-WRT :)

Yeah it's called split tunneling, which is just a cool name for routing.

Fusebox

Banned
Yep, got here yesterday, I'm working up near the welsh border, but am heading back to London on Saturday morn. So Saturday arvo is probably the best time for me if that works

I'm already off to Amsterdam tomorrow, I had my days a bit mixed up sorry man. Went to the Harry Potter film set yesterday and geeked out a bit. Took one of those tour buses around the city to see all the iconic shit and today we're going to the science and natural museums.

What are you doing near the Welsh border, selling vowels?

I'm about 80 nautical miles off the coast of Australia, hugging it down to Sydney. Will dock in the morning. Praise Jeebus. 19 day pacific cruise is too long. If this kept up another 2 weeks I'd weigh 200kgs.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My girlfriend and I are driving down to Sydney from Gold Coast. We've stopped at Coffs Harbour for the night.

I couldn't help but laugh at seeing an apology in Woolies for them stocking Queensland milk instead of NSW milk. Someone took that last State of Origin game badly I guess.

r1chard

Gawds we're all out and about these days aren't we? Whatever happened to staying in on the couch playing video gaemz?

Edit: oh, and a question: do any of the AU streaming things have Xena?

Damn that sucks hopes he comes through okay!

Happened to my Sheltie about 9ish years ago when she was 7. All of a sudden her back legs stopped working and we rushed her to the vet. Had to take her to an overnight vet intially and then back to the standard one. She spent about 10 days at the vet and was still pretty wobbly, but within an hour of coming home she was fine and she lived to a ripe old age of almost 15 when cancer took her out last year.

I had one on my room mates cat years ago, this paralysis tick had been on there for days apparently and she wasn't eating and started dragging legs etc. I had nfi what was happening at the time. This was an 8 year old regular mog "outside" cat but she was tough as nails so I figured she got fucked up biting off more than she could chew.

This was on a public holiday, room mate overseas, took her to the emergency after hours vets, they tried to fleece me for SERIOUS cash, hundreds and hundreds of dollars. It cost everything I had in the bank to just to get diagnosed, BUT they did locate the tick, educated me what the go was and removed it. There was no way I could afford the vaccine, which was a dog based vaccine, apparently they don't make it for cats or something I don't remember.

Anyway, she was groggy for a few days but come through just fine, visibly grateful. Started eating the next day, still alive and kicking today. Bought a $5 tick removal tool and she's had a few since, but if you're vigilant they don't do much damage and twist off super easy with the tool.

TL:DR dog should be right mate, especially with the vaccine.

Dog is doing great, came home yesterday and only cost $400, which was a lot less than I thought it would cost, and as lot less than the internet told me. Vet was in South Windsor NSW if anyone is around there and looking for a place that doesn't take the piss.

Gawds we're all out and about these days aren't we? Whatever happened to staying in on the couch playing video gaemz?
Currently in Nagoya (despite the girl at the Shinkansen ticket office actually selling us tickets to Nagano; I guess my pronunciation is worse than I thought).

Been here four days, and made it to somewhere with craft beer every day. Not a bad track record. Had misotonkatsudon for dinner tonight (pretty much tonkatsu with miso sauce).

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hopefully I get to return to both Korea and Japan next year.

2010 was a long time ago.

Edit: New South Wales uses DST?! Here I was thinking we'd driven across a time zone.

I'm about 80 nautical miles off the coast of Australia, hugging it down to Sydney. Will dock in the morning. Praise Jeebus. 19 day pacific cruise is too long. If this kept up another 2 weeks I'd weigh 200kgs.
I'm going on my first cruise (also the pacific) in Devember, but only 10 nights. I haven't done one before but heard nothing but good things.

With getflix, do I just configure my router, and then my PS4/Chromecast/Iphone can use it? OR I need to configure them all individually?

I don't really get how Chromecast figures into it. For example, if I have the Aussie Netflix app on my iphone, and then log in on wifi from my router being setup on getflix, would it bring up the US shows on netflix? THen I can just cast it to my TV?

Roulette

With getflix, do I just configure my router, and then my PS4/Chromecast/Iphone can use it? OR I need to configure them all individually?

I don't really get how Chromecast figures into it. For example, if I have the Aussie Netflix app on my iphone, and then log in on wifi from my router being setup on getflix, would it bring up the US shows on netflix? THen I can just cast it to my TV?

You can configure your router which will affect all devices connected to it, OR you can configure individual devices.

I only have the DNS settings changed on my PS3. I have a US Netflix account, BUT I can use my PS3 (with US proxy) to access US Netflix and my PS4 (no proxy, uses default AU connection) to access AU Netflix (I only have the single US subscription, also).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom