• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

That's certainly all I've ever heard/used. Garbage, garbage bin, garbage man, garbage truck.

Thinking about it now, I probably would say garbage truck, but with the bins I just say "putting the bins out". Rubbish and rubbish bin for the other two.

Took a lot of effort to get my son to say Zed and not Zee, but we got there in the end. "Yes, XYZ doesn't rhyme with "sing with me", we're ok with this."

Yup my wife fucking hates American kids shows because of this. I really don't care to be honest, I say Zee anyway lol.

Had to buy appropriate baby dolls and shit to make sure they were saying Zed rather than Zee too. Meh.

My explanation to my son was "this country is dumb, just go along with it".

jambo

Yup my wife fucking hates American kids shows because of this. I really don't care to be honest, I say Zee anyway lol.

My wife's father is English, moved out here when he was a kid.

He wouldn't let his kids watch Sesame Street when they were younger because of the alphabet song using Zee.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm having flashbacks to my time teaching English in Korea.

In my extra classes I'd teach kids British English (zed, rubbish, flat, fizzy juice, etc). That and to make sure their palms face the camera when sticking two fingers up.

Rezbit

If there's a "Z" that's American I just go with it (Dragonball Zee, Jay-Zee etc).

But in terms of general speech I always say Zed.

Deeku

I've always used garbage for big stuff and rubbish for small stuff. I would feel weird if the words were casually interchangeable.

Danoss

If you have Netflix, I recommend watching them again. I think they were on US Netflix, but was such a trip while having it on in the background.

Side note: My eldest nephew speaks with a very strong British accent. We don't know where it came from given his brother doesn't have it, but we suspect Bob the Builder and Thomas. He pronounces grandma "grandmaw"!

I'll have to check them out again. I won't have to worry about getting an accent again, at least. A British accent is way cooler.

Have they done something to Thomas the Tank Engine? It's not the same great show we once knew as kids, is it?

Took a lot of effort to get my son to say Zed and not Zee, but we got there in the end. "Yes, XYZ doesn't rhyme with "sing with me", we're ok with this."

The only thing I can come up with is to end the song with "...won't you sing this 'til you're dead?" Not much of a solution.

Where does 'garbage' stand on the trash/rubbish cultural divide?

Like Jambo, I do say "garbage truck". For everything else, it's "rubbish".

I worked with an English guy for a while and it really cemented "rubbish" for me, especially they way he said it when using the word alone, like an exclamation. "Rubbiiiiiiish!"

Honestly, I'm ok with most things people say, but I draw the line at stuff like "should of" and "somethingk"

Can I axe you a question? Can you count to free? If not, I could care less. There are so many.

If there's a "Z" that's American I just go with it (Dragonball Zee, Jay-Zee etc).

But in terms of general speech I always say Zed.

I do this too. If it was intended to sound a certain way, I'll try to say it as such. For everything else, it's the Australian pronunciation of things.

We usually end up using the British English pronunciation and spelling for things, don't we? One thing I noticed that seemed to bother a lot of people when watching the CS:GO tournament recently was the pronunciation of the word "cache". Like other words, I though we said it the correct way, but it seems that we're the only ones that don't pronounce it as "cash".

This bothers me a little as the word has a French origin and it puts us in a similar situation to how Americans pronounce the word "Lieutenant". It's understandable to pronounce it as they do, because it's like reading the word aloud. No one says "day in lieu" as "day in lef", so why would they say "leftenant"? This is a hard one to shake if you've been saying it incorrectly for so long. I have a couple of friends that have served in the military, police service, or both, and one of them jumps down my throat each time I said it incorrectly (not nastily, but it bothered him). I've mostly got it now, and it's a good way to piss him off.

I'll have to check them out again. I won't have to worry about getting an accent again, at least. A British accent is way cooler.

Have they done something to Thomas the Tank Engine? It's not the same great show we once knew as kids, is it?

The only thing I can come up with is to end the song with "...won't you sing this 'til you're dead?" Not much of a solution.

Like Jambo, I do say "garbage truck". For everything else, it's "rubbish".

I worked with an English guy for a while and it really cemented "rubbish" for me, especially they way he said it when using the word alone, like an exclamation. "Rubbiiiiiiish!"

Can I axe you a question? Can you count to free? If not, I could care less. There are so many.

I do this too. If it was intended to sound a certain way, I'll try to say it as such. For everything else, it's the Australian pronunciation of things.

We usually end up using the British English pronunciation and spelling for things, don't we? One thing I noticed that seemed to bother a lot of people when watching the CS:GO tournament recently was the pronunciation of the word "cache". Like other words, I though we said it the correct way, but it seems that we're the only ones that don't pronounce it as "cash".

This bothers me a little as the word has a French origin and it puts us in a similar situation to how Americans pronounce the word "Lieutenant". It's understandable to pronounce it as they do, because it's like reading the word aloud. No one says "day in lieu" as "day in lef", so why would they say "leftenant"? This is a hard one to shake if you've been saying it incorrectly for so long. I have a couple of friends that have served in the military, police service, or both, and one of them jumps down my throat each time I said it incorrectly (not nastily, but it bothered him). I've mostly got it now, and it's a good way to piss him off.

i was told by someone in the ADF that the army uses 'leftnenant' and the navy says 'lootenant.' Whether that's actually the case or not...

The Brits do get some things wrong. Mario and pasta with flat 'a' sound the same same as we'd say patio (pat-ee-o, not to rhyme with ratio). Also, they seem to be doing this when telling anecdotes "I'm sat there," rather than "I was sitting there."

At least we can generally agree Internet has two 't' sounds and seconds has no 't' sound.

also, ax

"Sheidlower says you can trace "ax" back to the eighth century. The pronunciation derives from the Old English verb "acsian." Chaucer used "ax." It's in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): " 'Axe and it shall be given.'

"So at that point it wasn't a mark of people who weren't highly educated or people who were in the working class," Stanford University linguist John Rickford says. He says it's hard to pinpoint why "ax" stopped being popular but stayed put in the American South and the Caribbean, where he's originally from. But "over time it became a marker of identity," he says."

industrian

Australia pronunciation of "data" gets me every time.

It's probably the "correct" way of saying it, but I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation so fuck it.

How do you guys say "envelope"? I've heard English people say "un-velope".

jambo

It's probably the "correct" way of saying it, but I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation so fuck it.

I say daaaata, not dayta, unless I'm talking Star Trek. It's a name. Like you wouldn't say Tom Claaaaancy, his name is pronounced Tom Clancy.

I say on-velope.

I also say forehead foh-red, instead of four-head.

Another one that comes up a lot is that I pronounce schedule as shedule and not skedule.

industrian

As a Scottish person I really should avoid getting into pronunciation conversations. Otherwise you'll find out that we say "jew" instead of "due/dew", that we don't pronounce the t sound in some words (butter, water...) and that our grammar is generally all over the place.

Danoss

Irregardless, for all intensive purposes.

Even this innocent use of such things is bothering me! Gah! I recently heard "all intensive purposes" used by a television show host. That really got to me.

Watching some casts on Twitch hasn't helped things in this regard. Hearing Kaelaris and ToD pronounce "prescience" as "pre-science" was rather grating. Australian SC2 caster mOOnGlaDe (typing caps like that bothers me, but for some reason I feel like I kinda have to) misuses a phrase by saying "no bars hold", which is a contender for worst offence to a phrase I have ever heard.

On the word "offence" above, that would be a word that I think Americans correctly spell as "offense" and the latter looks correct to my eyes. I routinely spell it as they do and need to correct it to the British English spelling. Weirdly, "defence" reads as correct to me, whereas the etymologically correct spelling is again the American "defense". Both are also of French origin. Strange how my brain works here.

i was told by someone in the ADF that the army uses 'leftnenant' and the navy says 'lootenant.' Whether that's actually the case or not...

The Brits do get some things wrong. Mario and pasta with flat 'a' sound the same same as we'd say patio (pat-ee-o, not to rhyme with ratio). Also, they seem to be doing this when telling anecdotes "I'm sat there," rather than "I was sitting there."

At least we can generally agree Internet has two 't' sounds and seconds has no 't' sound.

also, ax

"Sheidlower says you can trace "ax" back to the eighth century. The pronunciation derives from the Old English verb "acsian." Chaucer used "ax." It's in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): " 'Axe and it shall be given.'

"So at that point it wasn't a mark of people who weren't highly educated or people who were in the working class," Stanford University linguist John Rickford says. He says it's hard to pinpoint why "ax" stopped being popular but stayed put in the American South and the Caribbean, where he's originally from. But "over time it became a marker of identity," he says."

That's quite interesting, thank you!

I'm interested in the pronunciation difference of "lieutenant" between army and navy now. I no longer know anyone who served in the navy that I could ask.

Seems like we get it right on Mario and pasta. Some of us get it wrong with "dance" and "plant". I think the way people from Adelaide generally pronounce these are correct, with them sounding like "dawnce" and "plawnt". I rarely hear those pronunciations in Sydney.

They do say "I'm sat there"? "I sat there" is fine, but "I'm" is odd indeed.

I saw a clip where Adam Hills was jumped on for his pronunciation of "data". The alternative sounds so strange to me and more American-sounding.

I say "on-ve-lope". I believe the French origin of the word would have this be the correct pronunciation of the word, but both are acceptable. Strangely, for "envelop", I believe the only pronunciation used is "en-ve-lop"

jambo

How does everyone say 'route'?

Don't really say it that often, but probably root.

But then in tech terms, I would say router, not rooter.

FTTN = Fibre to the Node, the nodes being boxes around your suburb where the NBN will terminate. After that poin it will be carried over fibre, copper or cable. Thus mixed technology solution. Bad.

FTTH/P = Fibre to the Home/Premises, NBN terminates at a box on the side of your house. Good.

Danoss

English yo!

Going to be great teaching my son how to spell and watching his mind break over and over.

At least if he wants to learn other languages, he will have already covered one of the most difficult. I don't imagine there is a more hotch-potch language than this one.

How does everyone say 'route'?

Like Jambo, I say "router" instead of "rooter". Well, that's how the problem started. This pronunciation carried over to "route" without me noticing and now my pronunciation of "route" and "rout" are the same. I'm still trying to fix it after someone pointed out this bad habit a short while ago.

jambo

At least if he wants to learn other languages, he will have already covered one of the most difficult. I don't imagine there is a more hotch-potch language than this one.

Plus if he learns something like Italian, he can more easily lean French or Spanish.

Probably best that he learns Mandarin though.

Darren870

Yea, its router, not rooter. The brits use rooter, and everything is a root. No, its a route and router.

Aussies say it the correct way, the American way, router. Haven't heard rooter since I left the UK.

I never said rooter while there, but a few months ago I got myself really confused. I couldn't remember what I grew up saying and if I grew up saying router or rooter and just casually converted. I figured Aussies would say it the same way as the Brits. My work mates always had a go at me. That and for saying DMZe, not DMZed

jambo

Aussies say it the correct way, the American way, router. Haven't heard rooter since I left the UK.

Which is weird, seeing as 99% of our pronunciations come from England.

At least Adelaidian pronunciations.

None of this pooel and shooel crap. And daaance, not dance.

for me router is same as US, but route is root- that said, i've heard americans use both rowt and root. But the rowt one will probably take over.

envelope- I go either way. en or on.

data is generally the TNG way (which is one of three commonly pronounced ways in
English darta, dayta and datta.

I'm a pro-ject, pro-gress, type of guy.

I'm also a daaance, Fraaance, braaanch type of guy. none of this artsy Frarnce, darnce bullshit.

I say arsehole but I write asshole. That's type of guy I am.

Danoss

Plus if he learns something like Italian, he can more easily lean French or Spanish.

Probably best that he learns Mandarin though.

One thing my mum says she regrets is not getting me to learn another language as a child. She read to me at an early age and only later learned how much of a leg-up it gives, with a stronger, earlier grasp of the English language in both written and spoken forms.

Though she said she wouldn't have chosen an Asian language, which is clearly more beneficial given our position. Mandarin is a great choice and I believe it's an excellent stepping-stone to learning other Asian languages which have borrowed aspects.

Golnei

One thing my mum says she regrets is not getting me to learn another language as a child. She read to me at an early age and only later learned how much of a leg-up it gives, with a stronger, earlier grasp of the English language in both written and spoken forms.

My parents had the inverse problem, they deliberately refrained from speaking in anything other than English at home when I was a child because they were worried it'd isolate me from other kids, or hinder my language development. At least I never lost any useful languages through that, unlike friends who had a similar experience with their parents discouraging them from speaking Mandarin.

Darren870

What about route specifically though, "lets take that root" or "lets take that raou-te"?

The American Way, Raou-te. The missus says root of course.

I only say root when I am referring to an actual highway. Like Root 66. Otherwise its always raou-te. I'd even say, "the raou-te along root 66 is a nice one"

1SCgovl.jpg
Oh.

(The second last sentence)

Quasar

Yea, its router, not rooter. The brits use rooter, and everything is a root. No, its a route and router.

I never said rooter while there, but a few months ago I got myself really confused. I couldn't remember what I grew up saying and if I grew up saying router or rooter and just casually converted. I figured Aussies would say it the same way as the Brits. My work mates always had a go at me. That and for saying DMZe, not DMZed

We do seem to follow US pronunciation with tech alot of the time, where normally we'd go with the proper english way. Though I do say DMZed. Also gif and not jif.

industrian

I've worked for tech companies in Taiwan for the last five years.

Having to reprogram my brain for American English was quite a challenge. One of the first things I learned was that Americans use "Tips and Tricks" instead of "Hints and Tips".

During my American interlude, I basically had to resist the temptation to swear in public.

acceptable words to use in public:
douche.
unacceptable words to use in public:
cunt

Jintor

During my American interlude, I basically had to resist the temptation to swear in public.

acceptable words to use in public:
douche.
unacceptable words to use in public:
cunt

i told an englishman if i ever called him a
cunt
that signified we were best mates. he got it. the american was absolutely mortified. most amazing facial expression i've ever seen. (she is an over-actor though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom