• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can configure your router which will affect all devices connected to it, OR you can configure individual devices.

I only have the DNS settings changed on my PS3. I have a US Netflix account, BUT I can use my PS3 (with US proxy) to access US Netflix and my PS4 (no proxy, uses default AU connection) to access AU Netflix (I only have the single US subscription, also).

Just did it then, so easy! I think I overthought it, I only need to sign up to US itunes/psn if I want Hulu/HBO/whatever apps I think

With getflix, do I just configure my router, and then my PS4/Chromecast/Iphone can use it? OR I need to configure them all individually?

I don't really get how Chromecast figures into it. For example, if I have the Aussie Netflix app on my iphone, and then log in on wifi from my router being setup on getflix, would it bring up the US shows on netflix? THen I can just cast it to my TV?

Chromecast has hardcoded DNS settings so you have to set up static routes.

http://blog.hroyer.com/post/80949364370/how-to-bypass-chromecasts-hardcoded-dns-and

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm already off to Amsterdam tomorrow, I had my days a bit mixed up sorry man. Went to the Harry Potter film set yesterday and geeked out a bit. Took one of those tour buses around the city to see all the iconic shit and today we're going to the science and natural museums.

What are you doing near the Welsh border, selling vowels?

No worries :) I might hit up the natural history museum then!

Just at work for the week, head office. Fun fun.

I realised today that Dragon Quest Heroes, Disgaea 5 and Tales of Zestiria all release on a Friday (tomorrow). Not a Thursday. The world doesn't make sense.

hidys

So I wasn't going to go to PAX but now that some Fri/Sun badges are on sale I'm giving it some thought.

What games will be there?

Dog is doing great, came home yesterday and only cost $400, which was a lot less than I thought it would cost, and as lot less than the internet told me. Vet was in South Windsor NSW if anyone is around there and looking for a place that doesn't take the piss.

Sweet!

Not sure why my dog spent so long at the vet, Shelties are quite small and she was small for one so maybe she just got a really big dose.

$400 is pretty good considering. My other dog had $3k worth of leg surgery about 3 years ago after tearing the Achilles off the bone in one of her back legs with another $800 or so in weekly followups to change the dressing/splint for the next 8 weeks!

Rlan

Got a new job!

logo.png

Moving to New Zealand! Gaf helps me get a job! :p

My other dog had $3k worth of leg surgery about 3 years ago after tearing the Achilles off the bone in one of her back legs with another $800 or so in weekly followups to change the dressing/splint for the next 8 weeks!

A friend of mines puppy has just been diagnosed with the same thing, and a $3000 estimate. The vet actually recommended amputation instead. Said there's no guarantee that it won't get more problems as it grows and little dogs tolerate 3 legs really well.

A friend of mines puppy has just been diagnosed with the same thing, and a $3000 estimate. The vet actually recommended amputation instead. Said there's no guarantee that it won't get more problems as it grows and little dogs tolerate 3 legs really well.

Mine was 5 when it happened so there was no more growing to worry about, I imagine a fast growing puppy would be very different. She has a big metal plate holding it all together which you can see if you look closely! She's also now banned from chasing balls and toys which probably caused the injury that eventually tore completely. She's 8 now, maybe slowing down a little but she happily runs around without any obvious leftover from the injury apart from the odd little hop every now and then on the effected leg.

Can confirm the 3 legs thing. Had more than a few dogs at work with 3 legs (amputated/broken) that almost prefer 3 legs lol. Had a couple bigger dogs too, like a lab.

It's good, and certainly accessible to our Nick, but it's no FAO Schwartz :)

I had fun on the piano at FAO Schwartz. cool toys but no videogames. it's also closing/closed unfortunately. Times Square Toyrs R Us is pretty, pretty good. I being there and getting to do the buy 2, get 1 free thing. except one of the games was region locked. Some teenage kid asked me to buy him a copy of Dead Rising 2.

in london, Hamley's was pretty good but I haven't been there since the 90's. something like 6 floors of toys and games in Knightsbridge or Kensington.

but as an adult nerd, Forbidden Planet was my bag, baby. dunno if they're still a thing.

Fusebox

Banned
It's good, and certainly accessible to our Nick, but it's no FAO Schwartz :)

FAO is all show man, all their expensive shit was behind barriers and they had such limited brands. Imo Harrods stomps FAO and Toys R Us Times Square too. Everything was so hands on and staff were helping kids demo all the new toy lines, not to mention their 12,000 quid Transformers light gun arcade machine was set to free play.

Danoss

Currently watching old-as-shit episodes of Sesame Street on Netflix. They're fucking awesome.

I don't remember them, but I was told that I watched so much Sesame Street when I was very young that I had an American accent for a while. Guess they must've been pretty good!

I was kind of interested in Lego Dimensions after watching some gameplay. The different characters actually look pretty fun to play with. Then I realized it was $120 which is costly but ok, you have the Lego too. However, each new character pack costs $50. What the fuck?! For a few tiny bits of lego and one level? Are they shitting me?

r1chard

I was kind of interested in Lego Dimensions after watching some gameplay. The different characters actually look pretty fun to play with. Then I realized it was $120 which is costly but ok, you have the Lego too. However, each new character pack costs $50. What the fuck?! For a few tiny bits of lego and one level? Are they shitting me?
Character packs shouldn't be $50 - that would be the RRP for a story pack (minifig, two vehicles and unlocking an hour or two extra story level in-game.) Having said that, Big W sell those at $38. Character packs sold at Big W for $20 or $18 IIRC, and they're the minifig and one vehicle, and unlock the realm for a character, but not the story.

RRP for the starter pack is actually $170!

The various minipacks are between $20-38 depending on how much stuff you get.

Price guide here!

Shaneus

I don't remember them, but I was told that I watched so much Sesame Street when I was very young that I had an American accent for a while. Guess they must've been pretty good!
If you have Netflix, I recommend watching them again. I think they were on US Netflix, but was such a trip while having it on in the background.

Side note: My eldest nephew speaks with a very strong British accent. We don't know where it came from given his brother doesn't have it, but we suspect Bob the Builder and Thomas. He pronounces grandma "grandmaw"!

I'm going to say, unless you're a huuuuge lego fan, it's not worth it as it is. I got with the cheap laucnh prices at Target.

The Portal 2 levels are amazing, everything else is "oh look, get up and move these figures around because wireless controllers are so 2005." I'll be getting the Doctor Who set when it comes out and that'll be it for me.

let's just say Lego City Undercover keeps its title as LEGOAT.

Shaneus

Took a lot of effort to get my son to say Zed and not Zee, but we got there in the end. "Yes, XYZ doesn't rhyme with "sing with me", we're ok with this."
Strange thing is, I don't remember ever saying "zee" on a consistent basis, so maybe it's all relevant. Or with the advent of digital editing, just cut out everything that's pronounced differently!

Darren870

Took a lot of effort to get my son to say Zed and not Zee, but we got there in the end. "Yes, XYZ doesn't rhyme with "sing with me", we're ok with this."

You should switch him back to the correct way. Zed, doesn't make any sense. I don't even understand how this came about. I mean, Zedbra? Come on 'bro! ... Zeebra.

It wasn't until I moved to the UK that I finally got why in Men In Black he was called Zed. Everyone had a letter name and I was always confused why he was the odd man out. Turns out he wasn't... Fucking Poms

Shaneus

I said Zed the other day, been trying to hold out after all these years. That and Ta. Said that one too.
ONE OF US.

I remember when I went to the US a while ago... no-one ever seemed to grasp what I meant by "ta" given the context. I don't recall trash/rubbish being a concern, and only a bit of a transitional thing with candy/lollies. And thankfully footpath is fairly self-explanatory, so if people haven't heard the term before, at least they know what it means.

Darren870

ONE OF US.

I remember when I went to the US a while ago... no-one ever seemed to grasp what I meant by "ta" given the context. I don't recall trash/rubbish being a concern, and only a bit of a transitional thing with candy/lollies. And thankfully footpath is fairly self-explanatory, so if people haven't heard the term before, at least they know what it means.

Yea, I don't recall the Brits saying it as much as the Aussies. But I had no idea what the hell they were talking about it when I heard it. I just assumed they were like making some random noise.

I can see Americans being really confused by it. There are a few things though where I still am like, what the fuck is he talking about? Its not as bad down here in Melbourne, but you go up north and its just another language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom