• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

During my American interlude, I basically had to resist the temptation to swear in public.

acceptable words to use in public:
douche.
unacceptable words to use in public:
cunt

Haha, douche bag is a big one. My Brit friends always got a kick out of it when I said it.

Schmuck is another one, but like the old generation.

there's a very old joke about Australians using swearing to describe people.

describing a mate: "that bloke's a total bastard."
describing your mortal enemy: "that bloke's a bit of a bastard."

I've been listening to lots of the old XFM Ricky Gervais Show radio podcasts these days. Listening to Karl Pilkington and the way he pronounces certain words is delightful. Accents are fun

My parents had the inverse problem, they deliberately refrained from speaking in anything other than English at home when I was a child because they were worried it'd isolate me from other kids, or hinder my language development. At least I never lost any useful languages through that, unlike friends who had a similar experience with their parents discouraging them from speaking Mandarin.

discouraging kiddies from it sucks
being bilingual is a nice leg up

I make sure I pronounce every English word like these guys do in the UK.

https://youtu.be/sRW2lo-xcik

Where exactly is this lovely accent located

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Call strangers mates. Call friends cunts. It's the UK and Australian way.

We were playing poker with a Dutch girl in college (2002), she won, one of the guys called her "a jammy cunt" and she started crying thinking we were all angry at her. It took her a while to realise we weren't joking when we said it was a term of endearment.

Jintor

i'm definitely going to try to encourage bilingualism in my kids, except it's going to be weird because they should probably learn, like, mando or canto or something but the only other language I'm likely to know by the time I have kids is Japanese

maybe I'll get better in mando by then

lol kids

Fusebox

Banned
Yea, its router, not rooter. The brits use rooter, and everything is a root. No, its a route and router.

Aussies say it the correct way, the American way, router. Haven't heard rooter since I left the UK.

I never said rooter while there, but a few months ago I got myself really confused. I couldn't remember what I grew up saying and if I grew up saying router or rooter and just casually converted. I figured Aussies would say it the same way as the Brits. My work mates always had a go at me. That and for saying DMZe, not DMZed

When the Americans say data and router it sounds to me like something you'd do to a chick you fancy.

Bit of a random question but if you book a hotel using Qantas points do you need the actual card? I have mine linked to one of those Woolworths rewards cards and I don't think I was ever given just a regular Qantas FF card...or if I did it's gone.

Danoss

I only say root when I am referring to an actual highway. Like Root 66. Otherwise its always raou-te. I'd even say, "the raou-te along root 66 is a nice one"

To me, this is bizarre. The usage of the word is the same, except one is in the name of a route. Is this common usage in America?

Just noting this and wondering, not being critical. I've already mentioned at least one of my own inconsistencies, so it would be hypocritical of me anyway.

Also gif and not jif.

Agreed. I will never change how I say it. If you release something like that into public use, it is the public who gets to dictate how it is said. Also:

su6iDFe.gif

I read an article that someone linked to me not long ago, perhaps it was from someone here. It discussed a number of words, most if not all were company names or brands, that were often mispronounced. Nestlé was one such example I specifically remember where they pushed for it to be pronounced correctly. Most others didn't seem to care, either because they were around before it was possible to communicate how their name should be pronounced, or because they didn't care as long as people liked and/or purchased their wares.

AUSGAF MEETUP, 14th NOVEMBER

MELBOURNE

Taking suggestions now. I will be in melb from early afternoon on that day and available for you to laugh at in person.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
There's a very good chance I will be moving to Melbourne within the next week or so. If that's the case I'll definitely be up for a meetup.

I'm also definitely up for any advice on where to stay in Melbourne.

KrisB

Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Disco Fever Edition is up on JB for $59, I paid $99 through EB and it goes for way over that overseas, even the US version is USD$79!

http://i.imgur.com/1SC3wV1.jpgIMG][/QUOTE]

Good spot! Just put my order in. :D
Showed a mate and he's buying it now too haha.

Manax

Apparently beer and wine = good counter strike (it is a fine balance)

VkJcXpm.png

Also that persona pre order is tempting, love me some rhythm games and vita.

Also that persona pre order is tempting, love me some rhythm games and vita.

Importers said it was fantastic. I also like how it has a big story element to it as I'm not great at rhythm games generally.

Although this has all reminded me how damn long the release delay here has been <_>

Fogz

Importers said it was fantastic. I also like how it has a big story element to it as I'm not great at rhythm games generally.

Although this has all reminded me how damn long the release delay here has been <_>

Not as long as the 2+ years it took for the persona 4 fighting game to come here

r1chard

I notice a few Untappd checkins from there earlier today. Good breweries, too.
Yep, a few yummy beers and ciders were had :)

Ended up just me and Cam playing a bunch of rounds of pokemanz (and buying some, but had to duck over to goodgames on Lonsdale to do that, but only briefly because apparently goodgames doesn't have any ventilation at all). And then joined a mother+son who were also in the Lab bar and played a round of Machi Koro and Ticket To Ride with us. Much fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom