• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Kids growing up these days get to experience a world of easy to access, on demand content not even knowing what a commercial break is. Regular TV is boned.

Darren870

Kids growing up these days get to experience a world of easy to access, on demand content not even knowing what a commercial break is. Regular TV is boned.

I remember going to my grandmas and having to change the channel with a fucking knob.

Let that sink in. We have access to any program with a click or two. I had to get up out of my chair and turn a knob to find something good on the 13 channels she had.

Forget about changing the channels during a commercial break, you dealt with it...

Darren870

What's a commercial?

Oh yea, I often forget that I am the only one on AusGAF that watches FTA TV.

The programming in this country is actually really good. I like watching my US shows but all the cursing isn't bleeped out anymore like it would be in the US, always makes me laugh.

Omikron

I remember going to my grandmas and having to change the channel with a fucking knob.

Let that sink in. We have access to any program with a click or two. I had to get up out of my chair and turn a knob to find something good on the 13 channels she had.

Forget about changing the channels during a commercial break, you dealt with it...

When I was a small child we had access to 2 channels. 2.

When SBS arrived it was a revelation.

senahorse

when I was child, we played our Atari 2600 on a black and white 30cm tube, with a dial. Reminds me, remember using the tuning dial to get your console tuned in on a UHF channel?

jambo

Oh yea, I often forget that I am the only one on AusGAF that watches FTA TV.

The programming in this country is actually really good. I like watching my US shows but all the cursing isn't bleeped out anymore like it would be in the US, always makes me laugh.

I still watch for some sport, but I'm so used to turning away to talk after a goal has been kicked so it hardly even registers. F1 being interrupted is pretty annoying, but with half the races not on FTA, I end up with ad free versions any way.

Everything else we watch is ABC or SBS.

Back in my day we walked fifty chains up over the hills to school and back, this was before your fancy horses and gravel, this was pure leg pumping action on that stuff your footy players run around on. They get paid hundreds of thousands of dollar doos to experience that but we did it for free, or get a paddlin.

Use electricity? That's a paddlin.

Quasar

Continue to be unenthused by Episode 7. I think maybe I am over Star Wars like I am superheroes. Or maybe after reading about post Jedi SW for so many years I have no need for another version.

Feel a bit sad about that, I'd like to be excited.

T-0800

when I was child, we played our Atari 2600 on a black and white 30cm tube, with a dial. Reminds me, remember using the tuning dial to get your console tuned in on a UHF channel?

*high five*

Thought my C64 was broken the day I got it because I didn't know how to select a UHF channel.

Danoss

I think the frequency the NES used was the same as one of the broadcast stations in Sydney or the Central Coast, so it was pretty easy to set up. I never had a Master System, but I had friends that did and damn, the RF thing they had was really poor quality.

Also, with more modern televisions, how can you upset your mates by screwing with the vertical hold? It's just not the same!

It's always great thinking how much fun we had, in spite of the limitations. I remember smuggling an old AWA (~30cm) CRT into boarding school in year 11. It was probably over 20 years old at this point and it wouldn't surprise me if it still works now. My cube was filled with people most afternoons as we played 4-player N64 games on this little thing, mostly GoldenEye and Mario Kart. I can imagine people turning their nose up at playing a single-player game on such a small screen, let alone sharing it with another three, but it was brilliant and I wouldn't change that for anything.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I don't miss those days. Had to do that with my Sega many moons ago. Stupid dial

Darren870

When I was a kid we played Genesis on our 18 inch tube. My brother accidentally knocked it over one day and it wound up breaking.

While it was getting fixed we had to play on my moms old 8 inch b&w "portable" TV.

Man that sucked so much.

Jintor

Continue to be unenthused by Episode 7. I think maybe I am over Star Wars like I am superheroes. Or maybe after reading about post Jedi SW for so many years I have no need for another version.

Feel a bit sad about that, I'd like to be excited.

i'm kinda excited just to see a giant aerial battle again. I feel like I haven't seen one of those for years. Mind you, i haven't exactly been going to the movies much... ever, so

r1chard

I fondly remember the day that my dad had our C64 hardware-modded so it had a composite output - the difference from the UHF transcoding was gobsmackingly beautiful.

MoonGred

Not Gilmore girls again. We go through this stage every 50 pages orso.

Am I the only one who isn't too phased about the new star wars?

Not Gilmore girls again. We go through this stage every 50 pages orso.

Am I the only one who isn't too phased about the new star wars?

You used to be cool, Moon Gred, but your anti-Gilmore Girls/ Star Wars policies need to be publicly shamed because you're just the worst.

or

fair enough. I love both. Now that Alexis Bledel is now older than Lauren Graham was when GG started, It's no longer creepy for me to like the show.

No creepier than those
Darth Vader/Princess Leia romance stories
that were so popular before Return of the Jedi.

Lucian Cat

I'm excited for both Star Wars AND Gilmore Girls. Suck it MoonGred.

Also someone talk me out of buying a Wii U. With the $50 ebay voucher I can get the splatoon pack for $280...

I'm excited for both Star Wars AND Gilmore Girls. Suck it MoonGred.

Also someone talk me out of buying a Wii U. With the $50 ebay voucher I can get the splatoon pack for $280...

Mario Up, Buy a Wii U. I have all three current systems, the Wii U has the best library. I'd say exclusives, but almost all Wii U games are exclusives you won't find anywhere else .

Lego City, Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD have been my 3 of my favourite gaming experiences this gen. It plays Wii games, you can get DK64 and SM64 and Shovel Knight on it. There's DKCR TF, NSMB U, MK8, Super Smash Bros, Yoshi, Captain Toad. Even if no more games are released for it, you'll have a great library of stuff.

Golnei

You'll almost certainly regret it; but $280 along with Splatoon isn't that bad as long as you're interested in a few of the games it already has; and accept that it's going to see nothing in the way of serious support even from Nintendo going forwards.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Going from Queensland to where I am now in Sydney (Roselands/Canterbury) was quite a trip.

My girlfriend managed to get a fairly decent job ($21 an hour - $14 after tax) here so it looks like we'll be here for a while. I'll try to make it to the Melbourne meetup though.

And why can't you Australian motherfuckers just pick one transportation smart card to use for the entire country and stick with it? I've got a Go Card and Opal card now. Will I need another one when I go to Melbourne? Am I playing a funky game of Pokemon here where I gotta catch em all?

Lucian Cat

1vs2 yes/no. I'll sleep on it haha. I'm interested in quite a few games plus the new Zelda whenever that comes out. Definitely will get one at some stage at least.

I don't even have a transportation card for Adelaide yet I have one for Melbourne. Stupid myki. I wonder if it still has credit...

Edit: yup $14 I'll probably never use

Fusebox

Banned
Streaming services are the present of TV.

Yeah now that I have the no-ad sub to Hulu+ my TV is complete. Pretty handy being able to take it around the world with me so I can keep up with my shows too - had to fire up the Getflix VPN for the first time to use it in the hotel too.

MoonGred

Lucian you should really get a wii u, you won't regret it for that price.

I've been slack with reading ausgaf for the last 2 pages, can someone fill me in when the Melbourne meet up is please?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Are you even back yet holy?

Sitting in the shuttle bus on my way to cbd then train to work ;_;

Then after work I have to train out to my mates to get my cat then taxi home with the cat. And he doesn't get home from work til like 6pm+ so it's going to be a long day.

MoonGred

Sitting in the shuttle bus on my way to cbd then train to work ;_;

Then after work I have to train out to my mates to get my cat then taxi home with the cat. And he doesn't get home from work til like 6pm+ so it's going to be a long day.

Wait, so you just landed today and you're already going back to work?

Fredescu

Buy. Personally I wouldn't consider the future Zelda a 100% lock, but the current library is so good. I don't have anything to add on top of what Clive has already said about it.

Buy. Personally I wouldn't consider the future Zelda a 100% lock, but the current library is so good. I don't have anything to add on top of what Clive has already said about it.

I personally don't think Wii U will see its own new Zelda game.
I think we'll see NX next Christmas, would would be 4 years for Wii U- which seems to be the bare minimum time between launches to not burn your playerbase.

jambo

7Ahqmmm.png

Yrael

I've enjoyed my Wii U, and $280 is a great price for it with Splatoon.

I am personally expecting that the next console Zelda will be a dual-release on the Wii U and NX, like Twilight Princess was for the GC and Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom