• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Ah fuck that sucks :(

I'll make sure to avoid them, need to buy an office chair at some point in the future, still using a half fallen apart one I nicked from Deakin Uni that they were throwing out lol

Good office chairs are great, even when they're all beaten up! I haven't found any good ones that weren't either too expensive or unavailable to the public, and that's not without some thorough searching. Perhaps I've not been looking in the right places.

wow that is some poor service :/ Even ignoring the initial problem of the metal bar, the customer complaints people should probably be reading the complaints of the customers they are supposed to be serving. I'd say you should definitely lodge that complaint. I think my brother has one of their chairs as well, so I'll warn him about it. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm confident I'll need to lodge the complaint. They've got until Sunday, including the US addresses I contacted, to do something before I lodge it at the start of next week. Just need to look into them a little so I lodge it correctly and avoid paying Fair Trading to verify the correct details.

Hopefully your brother doesn't have the same problem, or any others. Pretty damn good chair outside of that.

Do UK PSN cards work for Aus accounts?

My PS+ just expired and Ozgameshop just emailed me that they have 10% off everything so I was gonna make the most of it.

Edit: Says right in the item description that it only works with a UK account. Guess I'll just pay the full price on PSN then.

Cerity

I'll probably be picking up a Buro Metro chair after this shitty OW job dies. I hated it the minute I sat down on it, luckily I got it for a fraction of the price. My old wooden dining chair that I was using was more comfortable than this.

The buro chair seems to get some pretty damn good billing on whirlpool/ozb, the lifetime warranty on the lift/10 years on everything else is nice too.

Danoss

I'll probably be picking up a Buro Metro chair after this shitty OW job dies. I hated it the minute I sat down on it, luckily I got it for a fraction of the price. My old wooden dining chair that I was using was more comfortable than this.

The buro chair seems to get some pretty damn good billing on whirlpool/ozb, the lifetime warranty on the lift/10 years on everything else is nice too.

A mate of mine bought one of those Officworks chairs you have. They are incredibly shit. The cushioning is only slightly superior to a few scrunched up tissues.

I'm intrigued by how the gas lift on the Buro Metro chair is secured to the tilt mechanism. Images of it being extended makes it appear to be of similar thickness to a broom handle.

Darren870

Good office chairs are great, even when they're all beaten up! I haven't found any good ones that weren't either too expensive or unavailable to the public, and that's not without some thorough searching. Perhaps I've not been looking in the right places.

I'm confident I'll need to lodge the complaint. They've got until Sunday, including the US addresses I contacted, to do something before I lodge it at the start of next week. Just need to look into them a little so I lodge it correctly and avoid paying Fair Trading to verify the correct details.

Hopefully your brother doesn't have the same problem, or any others. Pretty damn good chair outside of that.

Have you picked up the phone and called them about this?

JC Sera

I know this is a lot to ask for but, does anyone know where I can get a good mouse (planning to use for gaming) with more than 2 buttons (doesn't need a numpad on the side, just more than right and left click) for preferably under $30

or am I asking for the impossible
(wireless or not doesn't matter)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Erryone dying.

Also,

Ausgafpaxgaf catchups:

Drinks Friday night:
Attendees:
Arnie
Me

Not going to suggest places like bartronica, as it will be packed with nerds.

Perhaps somewhere like last last year, when the brains trust met up. As the Cuban drug lords mistress called us.

Also who's going to pax? And plays pokemon cards

Say your name if in.

I'm in. Also I'll inform a fellow ausgaf der who doesn't post much about this.

Fredescu

I know this is a lot to ask for but, does anyone know where I can get a good mouse (planning to use for gaming) with more than 2 buttons (doesn't need a numpad on the side, just more than right and left click) for preferably under $30

or am I asking for the impossible
(wireless or not doesn't matter)

I got my Steelseries Sensei for $35 and I'm pretty happy with it. I can't see it for that price now, but maybe a deal will come along for it or something similar. Otherwise, Logitech G300S looks ok for around that price. I've had no personal experience with it though.

JC Sera

I got my Steelseries Sensei for $35 and I'm pretty happy with it. I can't see it for that price now, but maybe a deal will come along for it or something similar. Otherwise, Logitech G300S looks ok for around that price. I've had no personal experience with it though.
Thanks a lot!

Most of these are $35 ordering online (excluding shipping) but any walk in store has them for $50+
:T

Fredescu

Thanks a lot!

Most of these are $35 ordering online (excluding shipping) but any walk in store has them for $50+
:T

If you're not in a rush, maybe wait for one of those Ebay deals to come around again. The store specific ones have been including computer parts stores lately and they've had some ok deals. If you're in Sydney, subscribe to the MWave email distribution list. They have some good group buys and stuff from time to time. Usually not worth it if you have to pay shipping though.

JC Sera

If you're not in a rush, maybe wait for one of those Ebay deals to come around again. The store specific ones have been including computer parts stores lately and they've had some ok deals. If you're in Sydney, subscribe to the MWave email distribution list. They have some good group buys and stuff from time to time. Usually not worth it if you have to pay shipping though.
currently this seems to be the most reasonable walk in deal;
https://ebgames.com.au/pc-206923-Logitech-G300S-Optical-Gaming-Mouse-PC

Stackboy

I'll be at PAX but doubt I can make a Friday night meetup. My wife will probably be sick of video games by the end of the day.

But I'll let you guys know where I'm at if anyone wants to say hi. Lexi will be with me on Friday and Saturday, so you can come and see that I am an ok guy.

I'm there for all 3 days.

Shaneus

I'll be at PAX as well (as you all know) but doubt I'll be doing much extra-curricular stuff. Probably going to be quite knackered. Pinball be exhausting, yo.

Awesome, was hoping for something like this.

Also satnav ain't my choice >.>

yeah but at this price point, you'll pay so much for car ones that will be inferior to any phone or a cheap tom tom from JB. you want reversing cameras and/or sensors build in, not a piece of dated software with limited upgrade potential.

Mazda because you can't go wrong with one. Skoda is def worth a drive. Maybe a Ford Fiesta. Hyundais and Kia's are likely better than Korean made versions of other brands. Ones to avoid in that market, small Holdens, Toyota Yaris, Chinese brands, Honda, Mitsubishi and Nissans.

or get an old Jeep Wrangler because Lorelai drove one.

I grabbed myself AC: Syndicate on PS4 for 68 from Big W. It will be my luck, that's the slightly shittier one again but I will want to be swapping between it and Halo 5 next week so I just need to change the input on the TV remote. I have no platform loyalty- AC 1 2 and Brohood on 360, Revelations on PS3, III on Wii U, Black Flag and Unity on both PS4 and X1 (the latter two are still unused download codes that came with the system)

Fredescu

Someone buy a car for me >_<

$100 a week repayments, satnav, leg room, space for a big pram.

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/Skoda-Octavia-2014/AGC-AD-18232035/?Cr=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Skoda-Octavia-2015/AGC-AD-18097439/?Cr=0

Both are optioned with the Columbus nav which has Apple Carplay and Android Auto, depending on your poison. 1.2% finance, 5 year warranty (http://www.skoda.com.au/special-offers/1.2-finance-offer/), I think you have to have it over 4 years though, so payments will be over $150/week probably, but whats a little financial stress between friends.

They do have heaps of boot space, but, honestly, they're not huge. If by leg room you need lots of legroom, fuck the haters and get a Commodore (or a Skoda Superb, but it won't be new at your budget). Badge snobbery is a bad, and they do drive nicely. A year old VF is in your budget ($20k over 5 years?), and seriously, an off the shelf sat nav will shit all over most built in systems and give you free updates to boot. I do understand the desire for an inbuilt system though, it's a bit like a camera phone. It's never as good as a real camera, but at least it's always with you. It's really going to limit your options though.

If by leg room you mean just room for actual legs, probably belonging to kids, something Golf/Mazda 3 size will probably be fine. Friend of mine has had a Golf GTI as a family car with two kids for years.

Edit: month/week same/same

Fredescu

currently this seems to be the most reasonable walk in deal;
https://ebgames.com.au/pc-206923-Logitech-G300S-Optical-Gaming-Mouse-PC

Are you anywhere near a Umart? Store list on their front page: https://www.umart.com.au/

They have it for $38 plus a couple of Steelseries mice for under $40:

https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=501&bid=2&sid=223930

https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=501&bid=2&sid=251564

Pretty sure Umart will transfer between stores for free for you, you just have to wait a couple of days.

I don't necessarily endorse any of these mice by the way, I haven't used them. Check reviews first I think.

Danoss

Have you picked up the phone and called them about this?

Thanks for mentioning this, seriously. Previously, on their contact page there was no telephone number. There is now. I wouldn't have thought to check again if you hadn't mentioned it. Gah, I feel like a fool.

Phone is always the first option I look for. Email often leads to problems like this and easy excuses like "I didn't receive it" or "spam filter must've caught it, sorry".

Darren870

Thanks for mentioning this, seriously. Previously, on their contact page there was no telephone number. There is now. I wouldn't have thought to check again if you hadn't mentioned it. Gah, I feel like a fool.

Phone is always the first option I look for. Email often leads to problems like this and easy excuses like "I didn't receive it" or "spam filter must've caught it, sorry".

No worries :)

Only pointed it out because every OT thread I see about people complaining about being ripped off could be resolved just by picking up the phone. I remember there was a guy who got ripped off a few hundred dollars on ebay, he never even called them. Just sent emails that went unanswered.

I think its an American thing though. Brits and Aussies love the phone compared to Americans. First think I noticed when I moved abroad for work.

jambo

PCPowerplay rated the ASUS ROG mice very highly in their last tech special

There was a $30 model, but I can't find it on PCCG.

There's an online used game sale at EB that's surprisingly not terrible. LBP3 for $13.50, Sunset Overdrive for $21 etc.

I actually snagged fucking Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for $45 delivered. Not a great price, but Nintendo games refuse to drop in price and physical Wii U games are going to start getting rare soon enough. Bastards.

Frawdder

Erryone dying.

Also,

Ausgafpaxgaf catchups:

Drinks Friday night:
Attendees:
Arnie
Me

Not going to suggest places like bartronica, as it will be packed with nerds.

Perhaps somewhere like last last year, when the brains trust met up. As the Cuban drug lords mistress called us.

Also who's going to pax? And plays pokemon cards

Say your name if in.
Sure, I'm in.

There's an online used game sale at EB that's surprisingly not terrible. LBP3 for $13.50, Sunset Overdrive for $21 etc.

I actually snagged fucking Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for $45 delivered. Not a great price, but Nintendo games refuse to drop in price and physical Wii U games are going to start getting rare soon enough. Bastards.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Not to double post but had a question for Health Insurance as me and the wife are planning on trying for a child later next year. Is iSelect any good or a piece of shit?

Needs are-

Obstetrics
Choose your own obstetrician (not sure if this is a thing that isn't normal or not)
I guess am I missing anything baby wise on this? Just basically don't want to pay a million bucks when having a child, and have the best possible care of course.

Also!

Hospital care (We are young/fit enough but I guess what happens if we get in a car accident or something)
Dental stuff? Again young/fit/clean but just in case something big happens would be nice to have something back, but I'm not sure how much this goes I heard it gets pretty expensive

If possible Optical because I feel I need glasses and maybe Physio because the wife gets massages for her back sometimes (she's a paramedic so lifts a lot)

Anyone know of a good mob that is decently priced/not evil? Price isn't the biggest issue but obviously don't want to be ripped off.

Cheers

Fredescu

Our "put everything in a pizza crust" phase is a bit dumb, but spare a thought for the Americans:

CR9rxIIWEAAyxj1.png

Darren870

Not to double post but had a question for Health Insurance as me and the wife are planning on trying for a child later next year. Is iSelect any good or a piece of shit?

Cheers

Don't use iSelect or any comparison websites for health insurance besides the government ones:

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/

Basically iselect, gocompare, etc only provide insurance companies that give them a kickback. No kickback? Not on the list... You don't get a full picture. The government link shows all health insurance providers.

I use Bupa, but can't comment on it for baby stuff.

Fredescu

We were on MBF (now Bupa) through the pregnancy stuff. My wife chose it because she's pretty smart, so I have no real advice. I'd be pretty surprised if there's private health cover that restricts which Obstetrician you can use though.

If they're around, maybe Omi or VKS can comment on extra NICU costs if it's required?

Jimrpg

Needs are-

Obstetrics
Choose your own obstetrician (not sure if this is a thing that isn't normal or not)
I guess am I missing anything baby wise on this? Just basically don't want to pay a million bucks when having a child, and have the best possible care of course.

Also!

Hospital care (We are young/fit enough but I guess what happens if we get in a car accident or something)
Dental stuff? Again young/fit/clean but just in case something big happens would be nice to have something back, but I'm not sure how much this goes I heard it gets pretty expensive

If possible Optical because I feel I need glasses and maybe Physio because the wife gets massages for her back sometimes (she's a paramedic so lifts a lot)

Anyone know of a good mob that is decently priced/not evil? Price isn't the biggest issue but obviously don't want to be ripped off.

Cheers

If you're both healthy and expect a healthy baby, consider just going to your regular public hospital. We went to the Royal Womens hospital and it was great and we paid basically nothing. Depends on the hospital near you I guess.

Otherwise we probably would have gone to MBP.

jambo

We had our baby via the public system and it was really fucking good.

Single bed rooms the whole time, inducing, labour, then post-op (c-section).

We had the extra bonus of my wife's mother having worked at the same hospital for 15 years, so we got extra special treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom