• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
That must have been hard for you.

Hear it in Tassie intermittently.

tumblr_muooz4zEUX1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Deeku

i find cheers weird too. I feel like it was niche thing at first then suddenly everyone says it and ends emails with it

i find cheers weird too. I feel like it was niche thing at first then suddenly everyone says it and ends emails with it

I picked it up somewhere along the way, probably because I had a couple of English bosses. And everyone else ended emails in 'cheers.'

So, unless I'm super formal, I end with Cheers.

PS: I mean the figurative cheers as an informal replacement for 'Yours sincerely,' rather than a toast. Alternatives such as 'regards' sound rather pompous, 'Yours truly' sounds like a letter to Penthouse, and 'your obedient servant' is only appropriate if your boss is James Spader.

Sent from my iPhone

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My Taiwanese colleagues use "Cheers!" a lot and I don't know why. I imagine it's because someone from the US/UK office used it once and they just thought it was normal.

I've signed off my emails with "Thank you" for 15 years now. Even angry emails.

Deeku

I picked it up somewhere along the way, probably because I had a couple of English bosses. And everyone else ended emails in 'cheers.'

So, unless I'm super formal, I end with Cheers.

PS: I mean the figurative cheers as an informal replacement for 'Yours sincerely,' rather than a toast. Alternatives such as 'regards' sound rather pompous, 'Yours truly' sounds like a letter to Penthouse, and 'your obedient servant' is only appropriate if your boss is James Spader.

Sent from my iPhone

I tend to end emails with just my first name now. I've tried switching to my first initial to look cool but it always looked real douchey so I stopped.

My Taiwanese colleagues use "Cheers!" a lot and I don't know why. I imagine it's because someone from the US/UK office used it once and they just thought it was normal.
Yeah, I think it's them copying to sound more western. Like, some mainland dude said cheerio to me once lol

MoonGred

lol!

I tend to end emails with just my first name now. I've tried switching to my first initial to look cool but it always looked real douchey so I stopped.

Yeah, I think it's them copying to sound more western. Like, some mainland dude said cheerio to me once lol

If it's informal why don't you go for the initial of first and last?

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when people address you in emails by your name but don't bother to spell it correctly? My name is spelt correctly in my email address, how blind does one have to be to still spell it incorrectly.

Dryk

I'm really sceptical of Australians telling me Australian slang. Because I know you motherfuckers are just making shit up. This article is like the dropbears of linguistics.
I can attest to at least #1, #2, #4, #11 existing. Some of them seem to be pretty basic rhyming slang and who cares if "not here to fuck spiders" is made up, it needs to be in common parlance.

Deeku

If it's informal why don't you go for the initial of first and last?

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when people address you in emails by your name but don't bother to spell it correctly? My name is spelt correctly in my email address, how blind does one have to be to still spell it incorrectly.
Yeah I dunno, it just looks weird to me. Usually if it's informal I just go ultra lazy and treat email like chat, no addressing no signing off.

And yes, spelling names wrong is just plain rude! I triple check when I'm addressing someone with a funky name.

Darren870

I sign most my emails as:

Cheers,
D

Before I moved to the UK and was in the states it was:

D

If I'm sending a nasty email or one where I'm trying to get a point across I'll sign it as:

Cheers,
Darren

Yrael

I have heard of 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 11.

One of my teachers at school was very fond of the "kangaroos loose in the top paddock" expression (along with "a few chops short of a barbecue").

MoonGred

Yeah I dunno, it just looks weird to me. Usually if it's informal I just go ultra lazy and treat email like chat, no addressing no signing off.

And yes, spelling names wrong is just plain rude! I triple check when I'm addressing someone with a funky name.

If only it was a funky name. My name is Geoffrey, so many people will just write jeff or jeffery

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Tell me about it. Off to Crown in a bit to get my drink on.

Hmm are you looking for CBD? I am guessing so since thats easiest for everyone?

Where is PAX? Southbank?

yeh pax is at the convention centre
and cbd, no idea where. suggestions people

big enough, quiet, off main roads

Ausgafpaxgaf catchups:

Drinks Friday night:
Attendees:
Arnie
Me
reptile scorpion sub zero
cruncho
Lafiel
Frawdder

Maybes:
Stackboy
Lexi
Shaneus
Darren870
Omikron

Rezbit

Ausgafpaxgaf catchups:

Drinks Friday night:
Attendees:
Arnie
Me
cruncho
Lafiel
Frawdder

Maybes:
Stackboy
Lexi
Shaneus
Darren870
Omikron

Maybe yes.

Darren870

Ausgafpaxgaf catchups:

Drinks Friday night:
Attendees:
Arnie
Me
cruncho
Lafiel
Frawdder

Maybes:
Stackboy
Lexi
Shaneus
Darren870
Omikron

Codswallop can probably comment more on this but here are some:

Cookie is not bad on Swanston.
Sun Moth is meant to be good but I've never been
Dejavu on little Lonsdale always has a decent selection
Surprisingly Young and Jackson normally have a really good selection.

Buy a macbook pro now while its $400 cheaper at DS, or wait for the 2016 refresh and pay the premium apple price?

hmm, depends how badly you need it or want force touch trackpad.

There's not likely to be a huge difference so save the money. also, the current ones will have pricing baced on the exchange rate when they were released, the new ones will hve pricing based on the current exchange rate so that saving may be even more significant.

also thanks for making me click on Buzzfeed but it doesn't have my favourites
"Wake up, Australia"
"what do you think this is, bush week?"
"don't come the raw prawn with me."

That one about fucking spiders must be some hipster thing. fucking hipsters.

MoonGred

Yea

Surface Book

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Don't want to drop 2k

hmm, depends how badly you need it or want force touch trackpad.

There's not likely to be a huge difference so save the money. also, the current ones will have pricing baced on the exchange rate when they were released, the new ones will hve pricing based on the current exchange rate so that saving may be even more significant.

Yea that's my thought as well, I was going to get a Mb air, but seeing as I can get a Mbp for $1600 I'm more tempted to get that.

r1chard

Gotta choose between a Surface 3 or a Surface Pro 3 for daughter starting high school next year. I think she'd kill me if it couldn't run Minecraft, but having said that the high school has their own image they put on the devices so it'll probably be un-Minecraft-able anyway...

Edit: actually, it looks like she retains admin privs on the device even with that image loaded, so ...

MoonGred

Gotta choose between a Surface 3 or a Surface Pro 3 for daughter starting high school next year. I think she'd kill me if it couldn't run Minecraft, but having said that the high school has their own image they put on the devices so it'll probably be un-Minecraft-able anyway...

Edit: actually, it looks like she retains admin privs on the device even with that image loaded, so ...

have we really reached a point in society where having a laptop/tablet is now a requirement for a highschool student?
Back in my day having access to the internet but by no means required when starting the school year.

Do you get to save cost anywhere else or is the price of books etc the same?

Edit:
Clive you're due for an avatar change

Ausgafpaxgaf catchups:

Drinks Friday night:
Attendees:
Arnie
Me
cruncho
Lafiel
Frawdder

Maybes:
Stackboy
Lexi
Shaneus
Darren870
Omikron
Didn't even include me. Not sure I even want to come over today anymore......

Jintor

Beyond the Black Stump was a comic I used to read back in the day. I've heard "Not here to fuck spiders" before. I've heard of Captain Cook before but never heard it actually used. Top Paddock I've heard, Trough Lolly I've heard. That's it.

Cheers.

(Dad always says cheers. I assume he studied australianisms before he got here, but he might've got it from NZ where he did uni)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom