• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

if you're in the hills, you have to check out Hahndorf, Australia's oldest German settlement.

Lots of great shops, restaurants and cafes along the main street.

Yea, went there last Easter weekend. Loved it there, thats why I think they would enjoy it. All our grandparents are from Germany so its always nice to see the various German settlements around the world.

JC Sera

if you're in the hills, you have to check out Hahndorf, Australia's oldest German settlement.

9RYDq9tl.png

6kFTOpGl.png

Lots of great shops, restaurants and cafes along the main street.
Having been twice, I definitely second this
The large Pub/Inn place has amazing german sausages & pretzels

Dimefan3

This week is going to be hetic - job interview on Wednesday, then for PAX driving to Melbourne on Saturday, driving back for my Dad's birthday, driving back to Melbourne on Sunday, and somehow trying to sneak in a record fair in Northcote to be back in time for the rest of PAX in the afternoon.

Who's going to the Beta Bar on Sunday night?

Fallout 4 pre-order for $59 at JB is a bit ridiculous.

I had no intention of buying the game, having never played any of the series, but now...

Maddrical

Fallout 4 pre-order for $59 at JB is a bit ridiculous.

I had no intention of buying the game, having never played any of the series, but now...

It's making me reconsider my Collector's Edition pre-order. I'm essentially paying $65 for a steelbook, bobblehead and lunchbox which is pretty insane. I haven't pre-ordered a game in about 2 years and now I'm already regretting it.

Card Boy

Banned
Most Danny Bhoy tickets sold in an hour for his Melbourne show. I wanted to go but only shit seats are left. I didn't know he was popular, I thought he was niche?

I feel like he's pretty popular. Partly since he's a nice guy comedian (and family friendly? been a while since I've heard his stuff so correct me if I'm wrong).
But I haven't heard about him for years, feel like he was everywhere for a while.

Who's Russell Coight? I feel like I'm not Australian enough to know.

from a show called All-Aussie Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXEIK_wmbRY

or for Late Show fans, Wallaby Jack turned into a series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfB_qiXSTI

who are based on real guys like Bush Tucker Man, Malcolm Douglas and The Leyland Brothers (pre-Steve Irwin)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXcFDdBxXFs

now I have
"ask the leyland, ask the leyland, ask the leyland"
going around my ahead

MoonGred

Man this is some of the most Australian TV I've seen. Also really surprised by the women in wet tshirt in the intro, no way something like that would fly today.

Glenn Robbins is so damn good. Underrated comedian. Although there was a tonnnnn of underrated comedians in that era/group.

80's were so good for Aussie comedy. 21st century pretty lean though.

Re: The Hahndorf talk - check out Maximilian's Restaurant just around the corner in Verdun. It's pricey but the food is pretty good and the venue is fantastic. Also try and get a hole-in-one on the golf island.

Also, re Glenn Robbins, I absolutely love the guy. And I love on HYBPA when Sam Pang (whom I also love) gets in to him all of the time. Especially the John Kerry look-a-like stuff. lol

Yrael

Is it still recommended to get a US PS+ subscription? The conversation rate between AUD and USD is so weak now that I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I get to start a fun dialogue with my supervisor today about how I recorded some data at a spacing so small that you can fit 9 data points within each error bar and it somehow turned out fine. There should be a section of visibly fucked up data where the positioning error suddenly shifts from +0.4 to -0.4 degrees that just... isn't there...

who are based on real guys like Bush Tucker Man, Malcolm Douglas and The Leyland Brothers (pre-Steve Irwin)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXcFDdBxXFs

now I have
"ask the leyland, ask the leyland, ask the leyland"
going around my ahead

I was introduced to the Leyland Brothers recently. I actually really enjoyed the show but was confused by the random wet t-shirt shots in the intro.

Man this is some of the most Australian TV I've seen. Also really surprised by the women in wet tshirt in the intro, no way something like that would fly today.

Ah I see someone else noticed

Darren870

Re: The Hahndorf talk - check out Maximilian's Restaurant just around the corner in Verdun. It's pricey but the food is pretty good and the venue is fantastic. Also try and get a hole-in-one on the golf island.

Also, re Glenn Robbins, I absolutely love the guy. And I love on HYBPA when Sam Pang (whom I also love) gets in to him all of the time. Especially the John Kerry look-a-like stuff. lol

I LOVE HYBPA. I fucking die laughing every Monday evening.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Welp after a few hours fiddling around with Splatoon I can officially say i love my Wii U. $280 well spent :D

Peeps send me your NNID thingies

Chaser did great stuff

But I assume you mean standup
Balls, keep lumping them in with the old crew, keep forgetting they ain't in their 40's!

Is it still recommended to get a US PS+ subscription? The conversation rate between AUD and USD is so weak now that I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

AU is the way to go if you don't already have a US one. Can't switch and keep your licences obviously.

Jintor

my osts of the year so far are undertale, necrodancer, splatoon, and transformers (mgsv gets licenced osts and p4dan is full of funky remixes). what else am I missing out on ost-wise this year

Have you seen Kath and Kim moongred?
it's quite a different kettle of fish to Russel Coight but Glenn Robbins is brilliant in it also and it's a good sendup of bogans and aussie suburbia

Glenn Robbins is so damn good. Underrated comedian. Although there was a tonnnnn of underrated comedians in that era/group.

Russel Coight/Kath and Kim/ The Panel (mostly) is this century though!

Fusebox

Banned

Oh yeah, The Big Gig, Doug Anthony All Stars, The D-Generation, Fast Forward etc. They were all amazing.

Dryk

my osts of the year so far are undertale, necrodancer, splatoon, and transformers (mgsv gets licenced osts and p4dan is full of funky remixes). what else am I missing out on ost-wise this year
There Came an Echo's is really good but I'm not sure how it stacks up against those because I haven't heard most of them

JC Sera

There Came an Echo's is really good but I'm not sure how it stacks up against those because I haven't heard most of them
Definitely worth checking out Undertale,
I say as my icon is a character from that and i have gained a reputation on the dota thread for shilling undertale
its only $10 and one of the best games this year
you can try the demo for free too
its 2 years older than the actual game, so that area has had some balances applied in the actual game in comparision, but its a pretty good indicator of the themes & feel of the game

Dryk

As a side-note, my favourite three soundtracks for games I played this year (few of which actually came out this year) are easily There Came an Echo, Cloudbuilt and Boot Hill Heroes

Definitely worth checking out Undertale,
I say as my icon is a character from that and i have gained a reputation on the dota thread for shilling undertale
its only $10 and one of the best games this year
you can try the demo for free too
its 2 years older than the actual game, so that area has had some balances applied in the actual game in comparision, but its a pretty good indicator of the themes & feel of the game
It's on my list of things to play I just need to get around to it. I'm playing Rome: Total War for the first time at the moment so it might be a while XD

Kritz

Banned

Hotline Miami 2's soundtrack was the best thing about Hotline Miami 2.

Shaneus

I'm pretty doubtful about catchups outside of PAX itself, it'll be an exhausting day and all that jazz. However, everyone can feel free to visit me in the pinball/retro gaming area over the three days!

Gazunta

I was planning on going to the Co-op drinks on Friday night but yeah pick a place you're all meeting up it would be good to swing by.

Where are you guys planning on spending the most amount of time at the show? I think I'll be sinking quite a bit of time in the retro area of course, but I also need to see what's happening in the indie showcase and see my pals who are demoing games. I also am keen to get some D&D in at some point and there's a couple of panels over the three days I'm wanting to check out. But MAN is it nice to just be able to wander around and check out the show this year. Anything in particular I should go see?

Shaneus

I was planning on going to the Co-op drinks on Friday night but yeah pick a place you're all meeting up it would be good to swing by.

Where are you guys planning on spending the most amount of time at the show? I think I'll be sinking quite a bit of time in the retro area of course, but I also need to see what's happening in the indie showcase and see my pals who are demoing games. I also am keen to get some D&D in at some point and there's a couple of panels over the three days I'm wanting to check out. But MAN is it nice to just be able to wander around and check out the show this year. Anything in particular I should go see?
The retro area. I hear it's going to be rad.

25% off at target eBay. Must. Resist. Sales.
Everything? Shit.

25% off at target eBay. Must. Resist. Sales.

Only item I might be interested in is Guitar Hero Live but I already am getting into Rock Band 4 currently and don't think I want two different guitars cluttering up limited space. Would also have to learn the different fret structure of the guitar (3 x 2).

I guess I could return Uncharted collection and get it cheaper. Meh. Not worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom