• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Brisbane people here play pinball? I was surprised to see that the Newfarm Cinemas have Twilight Zone, Adams Family, and Creature From the Black Lagoon. Twilight Zone was too dark to play properly unfortunately, but Adams Family gave me 3 credits for $2 (despite being listed as $2 per game) and it was goood.

Anyway, I know those machines are revered and if the 3 for $2 thing wasn't a fluke that's surely the cheapest (only?) place to play in Brisbane (hell, maybe even Australia)

Any Brisbane people here play pinball? I was surprised to see that the Newfarm Cinemas have Twilight Zone, Adams Family, and Creature From the Black Lagoon. Twilight Zone was too dark to play properly unfortunately, but Adams Family gave me 3 credits for $2 (despite being listed as $2 per game) and it was goood.

Anyway, I know those machines are revered and if the 3 for $2 thing wasn't a fluke that's surely the cheapest (only?) place to play in Brisbane (hell, maybe even Australia)

Yep. Last machine I played was at greaser in the valley, can't for the life of me remember what it was though.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Given that Napster shut down in 01, and I recall using it heavily.. I always thought I was a bit older. But I would have been like 12/13. I guess we got the net in 97..

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I remember when the litigation against Napster had just begun so they used filters so files that had "Metallica", "Eminem" and other names wouldn't show up. Making a slight typo was all you needed though.

I liked Napster. I used to search for "comedy" and download short stand up bits and other random stuff. Along with WinMX I was exposed to so much new music that would never have got any airplay in my region - let alone be stocked in Woolies or whatever stores there were in my rural town. I got into Metallica, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Laibach, X Japan, and was introduced to power metal and other genres. Now I have a 500+ CD collection in my house.

I also remember doing my high school English class oral exam in 2001 (talking infront of the class) based on Napster and online music. A year before that, Darude had become a worldwide hit with Sandstorm by allowing it to be downloaded for free. My talk basically said that this sort of stuff would become the future of the music industry but that monetisation would be a challenge. I got a 2 (1 being the highest grade).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This Friday, 5pm at Penny Blue.

Then another one on Sat the 14th, location and time TBD

Cool :). I'll see if I can make it, if not I'll try to do a Sat one. I've got a couple of interviews to conduct but I'm sure I'll have time.

Darren870

I think the first time I ever heard of Liabach was from Napster too. I would go to my friends house who had DSL and just download music constantly. I downloaded loads of industrial music there to increase my library.

It was really the best way to find new music.

Shaneus

Man, if I was in Brisbane I'd so be on that! Pretty much outdoes every venue in Melbourne, you're lucky to find more than two machines anywhere... usually it's only one though (with the exception of the odd barcade or two).

Fredescu

It was a good read. The headline kinda bothers me, I think we like to ascribe things to single individuals when it's almost always the result of a complex web of interactions and those things would have occurred through another individual anyway... but the body of the article isn't really trying to make the claim that the headline does so nbd. Usually the writers don't get to choose their headlines anyway.

senahorse

It was a good read. The headline kinda bothers me, I think we like to ascribe things to single individuals when it's almost always the result of a complex web of interactions and those things would have occurred through another individual anyway... but the body of the article isn't really trying to make the claim that the headline does so nbd. Usually the writers don't get to choose their headlines anyway.

I found it funny, clickbait articles are generally trash, this is a great article with a trashy headline.

Ingram

So I guess no one is doing a midnight release for Fallout 4? I'd go and preorder at JB but I don't want to get stuck with them if say EB decide to chuck a midnight. I finish work at midnight and have the Tuesday-Saturday off so I'm planning on locking myself away lol.

2SeeKU

So I guess no one is doing a midnight release for Fallout 4? I'd go and preorder at JB but I don't want to get stuck with them if say EB decide to chuck a midnight. I finish work at midnight and have the Tuesday-Saturday off so I'm planning on locking myself away lol.

EB are doing a "midnight" launch at selected stores:

edm_20151026_fallout4_2wtg_launch2.jpg

jambo

Pretty sure the 10pm refers to the shop opening at 10pm so people can get numbered tokens, to come back with at midnight for the actual luanch.

I think they also do stuff like multiplayer games and food and drink.

Stackboy

Me and my wife are meeting Lexi soon at Beer Deluxe. We are there now if anyone wants to meet up.

Oh and I quickly met Gaz at the airport, turns out we were on the same flight and our wives know each other.

Brisbane really is a big country town.

Gazunta

That was weird and cool as hell, Stack :)

So far I've checked into the hotel, been to Koko Black, and worked on the comic for a bit.

God fuck me Koko Black is amazing.

I feel kind of weird about going to a midnight launch or any events with EB really after hearing about the lack of pay associated with them :/

I pre-ordered the game anyway so I'll have to wait at home till it arrives :( We got the pip boy edition but my partner doesn't want to open it because then it won't be in mint condition *eye roll*.

Clipper

So, I'm all settled into my apartment for the weekend. Even got a view of the convention centre from here, woo!

Looking forward to tomorrow...

Last time at this hotel was like, the best ever.

This time we don't have a view, ants have used it as a throughway, no plug for the bath, fan in bathroom doesn't work, oven won't turn off, lol.

2SeeKU

I feel kind of weird about going to a midnight launch or any events with EB really after hearing about the lack of pay associated with them :/

I pre-ordered the game anyway so I'll have to wait at home till it arrives :( We got the pip boy edition but my partner doesn't want to open it because then it won't be in mint condition *eye roll*.

I bought the pip boy edition too on a whim. I will certainly be opening it however, games/toys are meant to be played!

I've only been to one midnight launch before (GTA5) and the guys working there seemed to really enjoy it, they should be payed for it though...

I remember doing one for Halo 2. I didn't want to play it that night so I went to bed when I go home. That was the last time I bothered. I took a rare sick day to play it but actually had a boil on my hip/backside flare up meaning I couldn't sit without immense pain so I wasn't able to play the next day so the Doctor gave me the rest of the week off work. I still didn't finish it by the time I went back to work.

So no real desire to line up in EB or JB at bedtime.

*Me playing Halo: "I got one! I got one!"
12 year old: "Great kid, don't get cocky."
11 year old: "sick burn."
12 year old: "yeah, I heard it on Family Guy."

anecdote may complete bullshit. just like that death, headshotted from across the map by a pistol! That was certainly bullshit.

Vormund

Aww feel like I'm missing out on all the pax goodness. Well maybe next year with the kids in tow. Or I could just leave them behind.

i got not my pass. im coming an hour or so late to skip the line. im going to do 1 loop of the floor to look for free stuff then im going to park my butt in the boardgames area for the entire day. see you there

Clipper

I'm a little pissed we miss Serrels how to cook session for Penny Blue tonight... but screw Serrels :p

See you all at the show! I'm going to do my usual thing of heading over about 8:30am to wait in the massive line and get Streetpasses, then look around and head over to board games. Look for the big guy with an orange shirt.

Kritz

Banned
I probably won't be at the convention until 10:30 at the earliest. I'll probably spend a bit in the indie section then, y'know. Board games with clipper and banana (and probably some other friends) for most of the day.

There's like, maybe three panels I'll also go see today. Then I'll save the rest of the floor for Saturday / Sunday.

Where are drinks happening tonight? The sailor moon opium den? Someone give me the address of that place.

Stackboy

I'll be in the queue line from about 9am. Wearing my black giant beast shirt and pretty much all black. Come say hi if you spot me.

Clipper

Board games I'm bringing today:

Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planewswalkers - Tactical wargame with Magic stuff
Tragedy Looper - Amazing deduction game
Resistance (with expansions) - Perennial hit
Coup - We enjoyed it last yeah.
Good Cop Bad Cop - Another great hidden role game
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre/Rumble at Castle Tentakill - Crazy stupid fun. Who will win out of Fu-king Dragon Lord, Pisster the Pissed Wizard and Granny Flufferbutter?
Star Wars:: Empire vs. Rebellion - 2 player game I haven't tried yet...

On other days, I might instead be bringing:
Star Wars: Imperial Assault - BEST GAME EVARRRR. If we get a firm set of four other players than me, we're on.
Innovation - Thinky civilization game, but great fun.

jambo

We get midnight launches all the time, or at least we did back when I was into those kinds of things. I remember being at the ME3 midnight launch. Dragged along by a buddy to a CoD:MW2 one.

Going to a CoD midnight launch sounds like just about the last thing I would ever want to do.

Rezbit

I'll be there thanks to everyone's favourite soft sugary treat. Edit: speak of the devil

Will roll up to the line soon. Gonna check out the stuff then will come meet youse a bit later. Ciao ciao.

Board games I'm bringing today:

Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planewswalkers - Tactical wargame with Magic stuff
Tragedy Looper - Amazing deduction game
Resistance (with expansions) - Perennial hit
Coup - We enjoyed it last yeah.
Good Cop Bad Cop - Another great hidden role game
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre/Rumble at Castle Tentakill - Crazy stupid fun. Who will win out of Fu-king Dragon Lord, Pisster the Pissed Wizard and Granny Flufferbutter?
Star Wars:: Empire vs. Rebellion - 2 player game I haven't tried yet...

On other days, I might instead be bringing:
Star Wars: Imperial Assault - BEST GAME EVARRRR. If we get a firm set of four other players than me, we're on.
Innovation - Thinky civilization game, but great fun.

This sounds good Clipper! similar the other days i hope :)

I'll be there a bit later and probably walk around the expo hall for a bit then I'll come find everyone to play some board games.

You going all 3 days frawd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom