• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Need to decide on a venue as well!
Well you boys better get on it then. I know beer deluxe plus whatever Mexican place we went to last time I was there. From the sounds of it we were debating games lab or whatever?

I bought a deck of cards today you use in conjunction with other board games (any) to turn them into drinking games. We'll be well sorted at any kind of nerdy nerdfest.

We played it tonight, tis basically kings cups rules.
Drinking game? I'm down. Won't know how to. lay so I'll just take a swig every time it's my turn :p

Why top of the page, why. I swear I'm not an alco

Stackboy

Heading in now for the last day, wearing a black Vinn-Co shirt and blue shoes if anyone spots me. Going to the Uncharted 4 panel and the Witcher 3 panel

Kritz

Banned
I'm full on exhausted today so I'll probably just be doing panels and board games. Had a fun time in Chinatown with friends last night. It was such a relief to eat something resembling real food for something resembling a real price.

Despite paying for a ticket I'm not sure if I'll head to the Megadev3 pax party tonight. I'll see how much I want to hate myself tomorrow morning for the flight home.

Kritz

Banned
Anybody up for getting together for some Retro Mario Party or something?
I might be down for it later in the day, but we'll see. Lots of panels!

Oh and for anyone still here, the indie area is way less crowded today, and I managed to play a bunch of games within a minute of standing by. Lupinball is amazing, and so was... Shit, I forget the name. Some 4 player team based dungeon game with an art style similar to Crawl. It was at the end closest to the enterence.

There's also a student game playable right near the enterence that was a bit of fun, it's pretty out of sight but for a student thing it was pretty polished.

I'm gonna start heading to the creating game communities panel in a sec. Another Jason Imms panel. :D
(Also turns out me and Imms are cousins. #tasmania)

Clipper

Cool stuff Kritz. I've been spending my time wandering the stalls and stuff. Played some of the PS4 stuff but nothing special. I'm doing early lunch for now, then we'll see if we can get a group together.

Clipper

So, with panels closing up, anyone want to meet for board or console games? I didn't stake out a table today, but I'm hanging roun the tabletop area if you want to find me.

Bishop89

played rumble academy yesterday at pax and some guy took a video of the group playing, and asked if he has our permission to use the footage. We said yes.

Wonder where it'll be uploaded!

All he said was just playstation instagram, facebook etc..

Clipper

Met up with an old AusGAF alumni in the Retro games area... BSS!

He managed to win the Ikaruga tournament too!

Anyway, he says hi. I'll try to remember to upload a photo of the prize ceremony tonight :D

N0VAM0D

I got put on the Fat Duck waiting list and actually got a call back. So there is still hope even if you get on the wait list! Would be amazing to go that's for sure!

Cool, not sure the route we are taking as of yet. But we are driving from Melbourne to Brisbane so were planning on heading that way. I'll keep it in the mind when planning the driving route that you are closing then.

I'll let you know though!

That's so good! I'd love to go there, too. And yeah, we didn't end up getting tickets which sucks, but at least we're on the waitlist! At least I saved $485!

And yeah, totally let me know!

I also will most likely be heading to Subo sometime in the near future novamod ^_^

Not going but ma friend saw them either earlier this year or last year and said they put on a good show so have fun!

Oooh, please let me know! Hopefully it's sometime within the next 4.5 weeks, because our current menu is absolutely fantastic. I've only been there for 4 menus, but this one is my favourite so far!

And dude, they were so great. Too bad the people in the crowd weren't as great. I got there pretty early and ended up getting a spot up the front on the rail in the very middle, and throughout the show, I couldn't get over the amount of shitty people trying to push their way through and stuff. Like, if you want to be up the front, why not get there early? I don't understand?? ugh

I pretty much fell in love with the drummer, too, which was nice. Ended up nabbing the setlist as well and a RÜFÜS sticker. Almost got a drum stick too *sobs

Man, I love concerts.

1YkuRbu.jpg

Kritz

Banned
Dungeon League?
Yeah! That's the one.

Holy crap, guys! I'm beat. It was great seeing y'all who came to the meet and the others I spied around the show. Sunday turned out to be the best day of the show, with a smaller crowd and really cool panels! I managed to cross off most the indie games I wanted to play, and overall it was just super chill and fun. Also all the enforcers were too tired to be as aggressive they were the first two days.

Now, naps! And then I'll maybe head to the megadev party for adult business alcohols

Edit: rep, you posted any Sony VR impressions yet?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
What the fuck were you even doing to experience aggressive enforcers?

Didn't see one do anything other than stand around

Clipper

PAX was great. Barely got in any time with AusGAF today, but still got to catch up briefly with Laf and Rep at different times. Also got to play games with an old gaming buddy, which was fun.

Oh, and I promised that pic of BSS... Here we go...

F7qA4bW.jpg

Sure, all you get for winning is the tiny 'shiny' badge he's wearing, but yay AusGAF!

MTE

PAX was excellent!
I saw noone from AusGAF, but still had a great time. Was odd seeing one of my old uni lecturers showing a game!
I hope I will actually get (allow myself) some time to catch up with you all one of these days.

r1chard

Tokyo was cool, though I only saw a fraction of a percent of it, really. I hope PAX was shit and you all hated it but that it'll be back next year and not be shit and not conflict with the OpenStack Summit again.

Also, when I got back, Jury Duty summons waiting for me in the mailbox. Clearly, I have angered someone.

Didn't get to taste any Japanese whiskey. Did get to see the Gundam statue. And visit all 7 floors of an amazing collectible+toy+tcg+models+merch store in Akihabara. I'm just glad I specifically went with only carry-on room so I couldn't spend ALL of my money there...

I did make it to a (the only?) board game cafe in Tokyo though, called Jelly Jelly Cafe, and bought their card game (called Jelly) which has only got Japanese instructions but I think we can figure it out. Also yen coins make really good Machi Koro coins, and everyone kept giving me their 1s and 5s because they really, really didn't want them so now I have a large bag full ;)

Would go again.

Shaneus

PAX busy. Surprised at a few games. Heist, Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth, Inflatality, Kieru all seem pretty promising.

Anyone get a spare of those Intel free game things at MSY they don't want? I hear there were people grabbing fistfuls at one point.
What free things? I didn't score many freebies this weekend. None at all, actually :/

Apparently the half brick panel is a bit of a car crash.
Was that because of disorganization, or did people ask about recent cuts? I'm torn on Halfbrick now, just like Firemonkey when they went all EA/F2P :(

Cruncho

PAX was excellent!
I saw noone from AusGAF, but still had a great time. Was odd seeing one of my old uni lecturers showing a game!
I hope I will actually get (allow myself) some time to catch up with you all one of these days.

You used to be cool, MTE :<

Dimefan3

Another great PAX, definitely doing the three days next year.

Bartronica was slightly uneventful (might have gotten there a tad early) so went to beta bar instead. Forgot how much fun that is, even met a few new people over the Portal board game. I wish I still lived in Melbourne so I could go more often.

Quick question too - I went to the 'breaking into the games industry' panel this morning, and the head of GDAA was talking about an 'Arcade' indie hub in Melbourne, any Ausgaffers been to this?

Cruncho

Quick question too - I went to the 'breaking into the games industry' panel this morning, and the head of GDAA was talking about an 'Arcade' indie hub in Melbourne, any Ausgaffers been to this?

It's just an area for indie teams to be able to work on games together, not somewhere to game or anything, so doubtful many will have been there.

Kritz

Banned
Was that because of disorganization, or did people ask about recent cuts? I'm torn on Halfbrick now, just like Firemonkey when they went all EA/F2P :(

From what I heard, a bit of both. Seems they were trying to spin pretty hard their recent activities and their sequel-based business model.

Just sounds like a medium sized business being unaware they're not a small indie studio anymore but still trying to play it like they are? I dunno.

Also I forgot that rep totally signed an NDA for Sony VR. so I suspect we get no impressions here. :p

From what I heard, a bit of both. Seems they were trying to spin pretty hard their recent activities and their sequel-based business model.

Just sounds like a medium sized business being unaware they're not a small indie studio anymore but still trying to play it like they are? I dunno.

Also I forgot that rep totally signed an NDA for Sony VR. so I suspect we get no impressions here. :p
I can talk lots about most of it, just not one thing that they already spoiled at their Unity chat so it's basically pointless lol.

It was fantastic, will write more once I'm at a PC.

Dimefan3

It's just an area for indie teams to be able to work on games together, not somewhere to game or anything, so doubtful many will have been there.

Yup, that's what I'm hoping for - I'm working at getting my freelance audio gig going, with a focus at first on Radio commercials and imaging (as that's what I'm best at right now), but eventually shifting my focus towards sound design for TV, Film and Gaming.

I'm thinking it might be worth a visit to the Arcade hub at some point and put my name out there - even if I do a few freebies for some indie devs to get some credits to my name and get a decent portfolio up.

Man, the whole Pax weekend really fired me up to start getting shit done. This unemployment thing is unhealthy.

Cruncho

Yup, that's what I'm hoping for - I'm working at getting my freelance audio gig going, with a focus at first on Radio commercials and imaging (as that's what I'm best at right now), but eventually shifting my focus towards sound design for TV, Film and Gaming.

I'm thinking it might be worth a visit to the Arcade hub at some point and put my name out there - even if I do a few freebies for some indie devs to get some credits to my name and get a decent portfolio up.

Man, the whole Pax weekend really fired me up to start getting shit done. This unemployment thing is unhealthy.

If you're in Melb, join this group on Facebook, if you haven't already.

Dimefan3

hate to burst your bubble...

Yeah, I know - but Sound Design in Gaming will more than likely be a very small part of what I do. If I can build up a strong folio in all areas of media it could work out well - even if it ends up being something I do on the side when I get a new job. (A lot of us do that kind of thing in the Media industry.)

If you're in Melb, join this group on Facebook, if you haven't already.

Got it. Thanks!

Yeah, I know - but Sound Design in Gaming will more than likely be a very small part of what I do. If I can build up a strong folio in all areas of media it could work out well - even if it ends up being something I do on the side when I get a new job. (A lot of us do that kind of thing in the Media industry.)
!

you sound like you have your head screwed on the right way. So little of gaming audio work is actual sound design and mixing, with a lot of non-transferrable skills like FMOD and Wwise (if you're lucky) and so many developers being absolutely clueless about doing game sound properly (it's actually worse today than 10 years ago). At least in TV and Film, you don't have to work with the brick wall of frustration known as a programmer (though I'm sure there are other dinguses just as irritating).

/rant

segue: I am currently thinking AC:Syndicate has the OST of the year. Marvellous.

Anyone else getting annoying redirect ads using mobile gaf? Don't even click on anything, just get redirected the first time everytime

Oooh, please let me know! Hopefully it's sometime within the next 4.5 weeks, because our current menu is absolutely fantastic. I've only been there for 4 menus, but this one is my favourite so far!

And dude, they were so great. Too bad the people in the crowd weren't as great. I got there pretty early and ended up getting a spot up the front on the rail in the very middle, and throughout the show, I couldn't get over the amount of shitty people trying to push their way through and stuff. Like, if you want to be up the front, why not get there early? I don't understand?? ugh

I pretty much fell in love with the drummer, too, which was nice. Ended up nabbing the setlist as well and a RÜFÜS sticker. Almost got a drum stick too *sobs

Man, I love concerts.

will do. It should be before then so good to hear :)

Yeah people are the worst. nice work getting the setlist!

Golnei

Anyone else getting annoying redirect ads using mobile gaf? Don't even click on anything, just get redirected the first time everytime

Are you on Android as well? I've been having problems with redirect ads as well, I think there was a thread with a few other people complaining about them.

Stackboy

Back in Brisbane now. PAX Aus was great. Super well run, lots of fun, met plenty of great people.

I think Gaz has convinced me to hook my PC up to my big tv. Just going to buy a HDMI cable, another XBone control pad and one of those Xbone control pad PC receivers. They are out now right?

I'll probably rewatch Lost now too thanks to Gaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom