• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

I thought you were making a reference to this: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-pc-discs-dont-contain-full-data-partial-/1100-6431658/

If not, it's worse than you thought.

It's been a while, but when I've bought steam games at retail you could either put the code in and forget about the disk altogether, or install from the disk and then patch from Steam. The latter usually means less download.

So the retail version has both advantages, cheaper and potentially a quicker install. Not sure I would pay

*AUSGAF KLAXONS*

twice the price

just to preload, but you're right to point out that it is an advantage if your net is a bit shit. And you can probably get a cheap steam code that lets you preload. I think $59AU is cheaper than most though.

I thought you were making a reference to this: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-pc-discs-dont-contain-full-data-partial-/1100-6431658/

If not, it's worse than you thought.

It's been a while, but when I've bought steam games at retail you could either put the code in and forget about the disk altogether, or install from the disk and then patch from Steam. The latter usually means less download.

So the retail version has both advantages, cheaper and potentially a quicker install. Not sure I would pay

*AUSGAF KLAXONS*

twice the price

just to preload, but you're right to point out that it is an advantage if your net is a bit shit. And you can probably get a cheap steam code that lets you preload. I think $59AU is cheaper than most though.

59 is definitely the cheapest. I'll just have to weigh up how soon I want to play versus how much I want to pay.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
You said family was too important :p

Fiiiiiine

I think it's time to start planning next weekends meetup. Come on and join the party.

-----------------
Date
-----------------
Saturday November 14th

-----------------
Who's attending?
-----------------
Def
Me
Tiddums
Crunchy
Marshy
Dazza

Token
Blackguy
Appearance
Blankcheck
-----------------
Where we at?
-----------------
Fuck knows. Somewhere with alcohol. Games lab was an idea.

-----------------
Time?
-----------------
Afternoon til whenever I guess. We get into the city after midday so ?
Also Tiddums will be abandoning us around 9pm to go on a date. So we need to make a stopoff somewhere so he cant find us.

That's better.

I can prob come in the day and leave around 5 or so. But I do have to leave. Then come back around 1 0or 11

Also everyone, this is the best album ever https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aoi5sVsJqCY

If you buy the PC version from JB hifi, I'm assuming it's a disc version right? Right.

All copies are registered via steam, right? Right.

I guarantee that there'll be content not on the disc and retail copy owners will have to download it. Like a day one patch for example or even just the rest of the game.

If you buy a code from online or direct from steam, you'll be able to preload and potentially play earlier.

That's my thinking anyway.

If you're main interest is playing the game the moment it unlocks then yeah, preloaded steam key is literally your only option as even if the disc had all the content it would take longer to grab from store and put in CD drive than just to click play as soon as the timer is up on Steam.

HolyCheck

I think it's time to start planning next weekends meetup. Come on and join the party.

-----------------
Date
-----------------
Saturday November 14th

-----------------
Who's attending?
-----------------
Def
Me
Tiddums
Crunchy
Marshy
Dazza
Rezbitania

Token
Blackguy
Appearance
Blankcheck
-----------------
Where we at?
-----------------

-----------------
Time?
-----------------
Afternoon til whenever I guess. We get into the city after midday so ?
Also Tiddums will be abandoning us around 9pm to go on a date. So we need to make a stopoff somewhere so he cant find us.

Where's your escuse now

_ drunk and on mobile

Cruncho

I won't be coming to the MelbGAF meetup.. because I'll be in Sydney.
We's askin who's gonna be there, not who wont!

-----------------
Where we at?
-----------------
I'm at least 90% sure that the bar at Gameslab didn't open till like 4pm that time we was there.

I guess a lot of actual bars aren't really open at midday. I was gonna suggest the bar hidden behind a bookcase, but it might be a bit too high class for us, also not open till 5 :[
Section 8 and Penny blue are open from midday, Young and Jacksons is open from 10am, and I assume Beer deluxe will be open too.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Going to be a 2hr 30 min journey to work. I'm thinking at this stage my lunch won't be safe to eat, I don't want to eat subway! Fuck.

Darren870

Going to be a 2hr 30 min journey to work. I'm thinking at this stage my lunch won't be safe to eat, I don't want to eat subway! Fuck.

Why wouldn't it still be good? Unless you are keeping it in a sauna or its some weird lunch it would be fine for 2.5 hrs. I keep mine out and about from 8am - 1:00 pm.

Anyways, for drinks. Beer Deluxe is good. There are some great bars in Fitzroy, but not sure if you guys just want to stick to the CBD.

I'll be at the taste of Melbourne between 5-10pm, but will check here to see where you are at afterwards when I'm finished. Can do a few drinks before hand too.

Gazunta

hey guys what's the easiest way to figure out public transport in Melbourne?

I'm used to it just 'working' in Google Maps but I never seem to get any options.

Is there a specific app I should get while I'm here or...???

Shaneus

hey guys what's the easiest way to figure out public transport in Melbourne?

I'm used to it just 'working' in Google Maps but I never seem to get any options.

Is there a specific app I should get while I'm here or...???
PTV.vic.gov.au is a handy website, and just search for the PTV app on your mobile device of choice :)

Gazunta

Thanks Shaneus!

So I think I played maybe a total of ten video games for the whole three days of the show, hahaha. What an awesome time though.

Lupinball - awesome, fantastic fun multplayer. I really really really hope there's a single or two player option though or the wife and I area gonna be piiiiissed. We kept coming back to this one over and over again.

Rivalry - FUN AS HELL, seriously look it up

Street Fighter V - awwwww yeah feels great, feels SO GREAT. Hate Mika's design though.

The Incredible Journey of You And I - LOVE THIS GAME. Great co-op shooter that looks ADORABLE.

Um, what else.

I played a lot of Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 in the retro area.

It was very nice to see Ninja Pizza Girl on Xbox One :)

Oh! Super Mutant Alien Assault I think it was called? That was really, really fun. A single screen platform shooter on Xbox One. Wish there was a Vita version ;)

Rest of the time was spent randomly bumping into friends old and new and just having a great time.

Now I'm locking myself away and I'm not letting myself out until Rose #2 is DONE. :p

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

I'm at least 90% sure that the bar at Gameslab didn't open till like 4pm that time we was there.

I guess a lot of actual bars aren't really open at midday. I was gonna suggest the bar hidden behind a bookcase, but it might be a bit too high class for us, also not open till 5 :[
Section 8 and Penny blue are open from midday, Young and Jacksons is open from 10am, and I assume Beer deluxe will be open too.
Beer deluxe sounds doable. How far away is that from gameslab? I think our hotel is nearish to that.

Roulette

Trying to decide whether to pick up FO4 on PC or PS4. I would normally say PC, but I'm worried my GTX 570 is a bit long in the tooth. I have a couple of AMD cards I can crossfire, but their benchmark isn't much higher than the 570.

Where is the cheapest place to buy CoD on PS4? I've never bought one before but it finally looks like I'll be pushed over the edge with this one.

senahorse

Trying to decide whether to pick up FO4 on PC or PS4. I would normally say PC, but I'm worried my GTX 570 is a bit long in the tooth. I have a couple of AMD cards I can crossfire, but their benchmark isn't much higher than the 570.

I would probably go with the PS4 if I was you, your card is only just above the minimum.

Where is the cheapest place to buy CoD on PS4? I've never bought one before but it finally looks like I'll be pushed over the edge with this one.

GMG have it for 40US

Rizzi

I have a 970, and I'm getting it for PS4.
Past experiences have taught me to wait on the PC version of Bethesda games. :p

Roulette

I would probably go with the PS4 if I was you, your card is only just above the minimum.

GMG have it for 40US

Yeah, but then I can't have UI mods for ages... At least they have opacity settings. I would like to play it on my TV, though. But with a controller? Ugh, tough call.

Also GMG is PC only, right?

I have a 970, and I'm getting it for PS4.
Past experiences have taught me to wait on the PC version of Bethesda games. :p

Skyrim on PS3, though. :|

senahorse

I wouldn't worry about the PS4 port, the PS3 with it's Cell and shitty amount of RAM was more to blame for Skyrim. I am sure it will be fine this time around, well, as fine as a Bethesda game at launch can be.

Stackboy

Hows everyone going with their X-files viewing? We got to the end of season 5 last night, tonight we watch the movie :)

I'm just at the end of season 1. I'm taking it pretty slow.

So Halo 5 MP is busted in Australia. I can hardly get into any Arena or Warzone games. There is a massive thread on Waypoint about it. Nice to know I'm not along, but I'm pretty fed up.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ia/06223e76-9c6e-45fe-af01-fb00160803b0/posts

Back to Destiny for the rest of the week, looking forward to BLOPs 3 on Friday.

Picking up FO4 on PC from OzGameshop. $61, I doubt they will send the key on launch day, but I'm pretty busy next week anyway.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
was thinking of popping in at the next melbgaf meetup but you arseholes always do it when im working. and i work in ballarat so its not exactly close to the city
We'll be going on late into the night hopefully. You still have time to join us!

$64 at Big W & Target

So Halo 5 MP is busted in Australia. I can hardly get into any Arena or Warzone games. There is a massive thread on Waypoint about it. Nice to know I'm not along, but I'm pretty fed up.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ia/06223e76-9c6e-45fe-af01-fb00160803b0/posts

I'm quite shocked that 343 would stuff up the MP. Again. You'd think Microsoft would have told them clearly not to fuck up again, but here we are.

I'm just at the end of season 1. I'm taking it pretty slow.

Back to Destiny for the rest of the week, looking forward to BLOPs 3 on Friday.

It's not everyone in Australia since I've not had any tech issues with the MP in Halo 5. In fact I realised i don't like normal Warzone but I love the attack/defend Warzone. No overt lag issues either. This is in stark contrast with trying to play online with MCC last Christmas which never worked for me.

Of course, I'm nearly finished the SP (prob tonight) and I will most likely drop H5 Multi for CoD on Friday.

Omikron

Hows everyone going with their X-files viewing? We got to the end of season 5 last night, tonight we watch the movie :)
Nearly through season 7. Which has some actually far better episodes than I remember. Season 6 on the other hand is pretty garbage bar a few. It was a hard slog.

jambo

http://stevivor.com/2015/11/tpg-loo...n-net-cease-iinet-freezone-for-games-content/

TPG looks set to close Games.on.net, cease iiNet Freezone for games content

Sources connected to Internet Service Provider TPG have told Stevivor the company is looking to close Australian games site Games.on.net as well as make sweeping changes to the popular iiNet Freezone scheme for game content.

Moreover, our sources have said that as part of the same restructuring, TPG is considering the termination of the iiNet Freezone scheme for game content. Freezone currently allows for unmeasured downloads of Xbox.com content on consoles and Steam downloads on iiNet-hosted servers, putting that content outside of normal quotas.

Fuck TPG

Omikron

Damn, will have to power through 6 then :(
Mmm. The mythology was hot mess post movie. So they couldn't work out what to do with it. Duchovny can visibly been seen to not give as much of a shit.

I think the episodes also cover some similar territory they did previously and it just didn't work.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I see myself waiting for the "We Fixed Everything and Here's the DLC" edition, as I plan to buy a PC next summer. If/when I get a PS4 in December/January I may be tempted, but I can wait another year.

My first two playthroughs of Fallout 3 were on the PS3. Lots of random freezing once I got past the 100 hour mark, but I guess that's why autosaving was invented.

jambo

i hey i should probably archive those articles i wrote for games.on.net yonks ago huh

Just FYI, the site only goes back until early 2012.

All articles and reviews from before that time are gone.

I think Tim has a copy of some stuff, but I don't think it's in an easily accessible format.

HolyCheck

yep, just found it

http://alchemistsrefuge.com.au/site/

3pm on sat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom