• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah DNSUnlocker has been hitting hard. Clean it out by killing Chrome process and clearing cache, then rebooting phone.

Fucking GAF ads. Had to reboot the phone at least 10 times over the weekend >_<

Finished AC; Syndicate tonight. Absolutely loved it and I heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoyed AC2m Brotherhood or Black Flag. Least frustrating AC controls, ran like a peach on PS4, great chamber orchestra soundtrack, great atmosphere. Plus you get to meet
Charles Dickens, Charles Darwin, Disraeli, Gladstone, Alexander Graham Bell (he's no Da Vinci), Spring Heeled Jack and Queen Victoria

I wouldn't say the main characters are anything on the level of Edward Kenway or Ezio, and they are basically English versions of Unity's Arno and his NPC redhead girlfriend, but we aren't talking anything like Altair or Connor level dullness. Choose Evie for stealth and Jacob for combat (you'll be playing both at various points and by the time you level them up there's little in it.

Now to quickly finish Halo 5 SP before CoD comes out.

N0VAM0D

Board games I'm bringing today:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault - BEST GAME EVARRRR. Can the Rebel heroes complete the missions to defeat the evil empire player (me)? This will be our long game, for those asking for it today. Only 5 players can play (including me), though, so make sure you don't miss out if you want to try it.

Just started playing this today with a bunch of friends actually, and goddamn it is fun. I'm playing as the exiled Jedi lady and she's really great.

It is a rad game. An excellent variant on the Descent board game. Looks so good with painted minis.

The tutorial mission was laughably bad. "Let's crush the players before they can do anything besides move, that should do it!" Not a good first impression, but the rest is excellent.

Get the thief/rogue character, they're a killing/objective-completing machine. I forget their name, but they were great to play.

I've been going through the Descent campaign too which is also amazing fun! My friend is painting to minis too so it look super lovely.

And yeah, tutorial was a bit eh, but then it just picks up and it all clicks and you just can't stop playing! Addictive and exciting.

Anyone else getting annoying redirect ads using mobile gaf? Don't even click on anything, just get redirected the first time everytime

will do. It should be before then so good to hear :)

Yeah people are the worst. nice work getting the setlist!

Yeah I keep getting a redirect and some pop up saying I've won something. Really annoying.

Sweet!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
On the topic of PAX even though I was only there for one day, that one panel session I attended, I was pretty impressed with the high level of female representation, and according to a friend who was at all three days he found that to be the case across the board for all the panel sessions he attended.

If this is reflective of where gamer culture is currently progressing towards then it's very pleasing to see especially in light of the whole gamergate bullshit last year.

r1chard

\o/ house moved \o/

Internode guy even turned up just as we were coming back from Reddy with lunch, so the Internet is also connected (got coffee, got Internet, life is good). Only getting 3.5Mbps though, and the line has already dropped once so I'm gonna be calling up to have that looked into :(

First board games here on 14th anyone? You won't even need to lug the dining table around ;)

Finished up Fairy Tail season 1 on Netflix too so we've started watching Pokemon Black & White which is pretty good so far. Was quite surprised that there was zero Fairy Tail merch anywhere in Akihabara (or anywhere in Tokyo at all, as far as I could tell). Quite sad, was looking forward to getting an Erza figure for Abbey :/

A friend told me about Anime Lab (run by Madman apparently) which has way more up-to-date anime on it than Netflix.

I am looking to move house too (place we're in is selling, will likely be demolished for townhouses). Haven't for quite a few years now. It's a bloody nightmare. So many disgusting places for such high rents.

Also getting those horrific ads, that appear shortly after clearing cache and such.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
On the topic of PAX even though I was only there for one day, that one panel session I attended, I was pretty impressed with the high level of female representation, and according to a friend who was at all three days he found that to be the case across the board for all the panel sessions he attended.

If this is reflective of where gamer culture is currently progressing towards then it's very pleasing to see especially in light of the whole gamergate bullshit last year.

...Did you attend a panel in the diversity lounge about female representation in media? because.. a lot of them were themed that way.

Went to one panel, the speed running one weighting was extremely male.

\o/ house moved \o/

Internode guy even turned up just as we were coming back from Reddy with lunch, so the Internet is also connected (got coffee, got Internet, life is good). Only getting 3.5Mbps though, and the line has already dropped once so I'm gonna be calling up to have that looked into :(

First board games here on 14th anyone? You won't even need to lug the dining table around ;)

Finished up Fairy Tail season 1 on Netflix too so we've started watching Pokemon Black & White which is pretty good so far. Was quite surprised that there was zero Fairy Tail merch anywhere in Akihabara (or anywhere in Tokyo at all, as far as I could tell). Quite sad, was looking forward to getting an Erza figure for Abbey :/

A friend told me about Anime Lab (run by Madman apparently) which has way more up-to-date anime on it than Netflix.

that's melb gaf drinking day on the 14th!

there should be some about! friend got me some little natsu figurines from gatcha machines, but not as common as others. Anime lab is pretty good.

I reckon you guys should give soul eater a whirl, it's short, not heaps of episodes but good fun, it's what I found as a temporary replacement when I caught up on fairy tail and was sad I had no more to watch.

...Did you attend a panel in the diversity lounge about female representation in media? because.. a lot of them were themed that way.

Panels, in general, that weren't at least half female often got a question about female representation (or gamegate) if it wasn't themed that way. Some of them were scripted* (as in read verbatim off a phone) . Some were also pretty loaded. Asking if X is a problem and then what do you propose to do about the toxic X in the same multipart question is not actually good form. If you're already convinced about the toxicity of X don't try and pretend to be impartial and if you're not then the "If so " / "If not" conjunctions exist for a reason. This remains true even if I agree with you that GamerGate is toxic.

My feelings on the repetition of that question are mixed, sometimes it made sense (like current industry practice / looking forward), sometimes it didn't.

*Not by the panel , at least I don't think so

Finished AC; Syndicate tonight. Absolutely loved it and I heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoyed AC2m Brotherhood or Black Flag. Least frustrating AC controls, ran like a peach on PS4, great chamber orchestra soundtrack, great atmosphere. Plus you get to meet
Charles Dickens, Charles Darwin, Disraeli, Gladstone, Alexander Graham Bell (he's no Da Vinci), Spring Heeled Jack and Queen Victoria

I wouldn't say the main characters are anything on the level of Edward Kenway or Ezio, and they are basically English versions of Unity's Arno and his NPC redhead girlfriend, but we aren't talking anything like Altair or Connor level dullness. Choose Evie for stealth and Jacob for combat (you'll be playing both at various points and by the time you level them up there's little in it.

Now to quickly finish Halo 5 SP before CoD comes out.

I finished on the weekend, first AC game I've enjoyed enough to complete since AC2. Couldn't get enough of the characters and setting... Definitely a top 10 GOTY list contender for me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
...Did you attend a panel in the diversity lounge about female representation in media? because.. a lot of them were themed that way
That's literally what I'm saying basing it off the experiences of my friend who went to a lot of panel sessions and attended all three days. :p

Darren870

So no bets on the Melbourne cup here? At the pub now and joined a few of the local games.

Got Picked Max Dynamite and Hokko Bravo.

Hoping to come out ahead...

senahorse

I bet, some horses get abused (hopefully none die this year), a lot of people get shit faced, and attendance at work tomorrow is lower than usual.

Dead Man

Stupid gaming question for the day.

Is there any reason not to order FO4 on Steam now? I've never bought a season pass (hate the concept normally) but Beths DLC is normally so damn good I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on that.

Fredescu

Is there any reason not to order FO4 on Steam now?

Price mostly. $80US is about $110AU, so getting it for $59 at JB is almost half price and it registers on Steam anyway so the end result is the same. The season pass itself is cheaper on Steam than JB, but you can still buy the Steam season pass if you buy the game at retail.

Stupid gaming question for the day.

Is there any reason not to order FO4 on Steam now? I've never bought a season pass (hate the concept normally) but Beths DLC is normally so damn good I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on that.

Is it less than au$59.?
If noT, get it from JB. Fred beat me like a horse.

I dropped $10 pm on some random horses. Horses are lovely creatures. Winning a race like the cup does wonders for a horse's sex life.

senahorse

I wonder how JB are able to sell it for so cheap, with a free poster and a promo comp. I guess they are loss leading to get you in the door, either way, would love to see more of it :)

Note that /today/ is the last day to pre order Fallout 4 from JB and still get it delivered on release day. Well, according to their site.

JB delivery is $1. A fine price to pay for not having to be served by the sneering woman at JB Garden City.

"why yes, I am buying a videogame. And yes, you can go fuck yourself. Why do you ask?"

Dead Man

JB delivery is $1. A fine price to pay for not having to be served by the sneering woman at JB Garden City.

"why yes, I am buying a videogame. And yes, you can go fuck yourself. Why do you ask?"

Yeah, that would be motivation. Everyone that works at my local seems pretty cool.

Yeah $1 delivery is insanely cool of JB, despite how they usually aren't the cheapest for games these days (present game excluded).

$1 delivery!

senahorse

Also I don't have faith in it arriving on time when it says, please allow up to 4 business days, and my local JB is only 5 minutes drive and not in a shopping complex.

edit: checking JB site, that "please allow..." clause is no longer there

Also, fuck horse racing:
" GRAVE fears are held for the health of Melbourne Cup runner Red Cadeaux, who was taken from the track in an ambulance."

Rizzi

I went in to JB to preorder it. Thanks for the heads up.

And then I walked out with the preorder and all of the Korra seasons on blu-ray.
:X

r1chard

that's melb gaf drinking day on the 14th!
Ah cool. I've not been keeping track as well as I should have :/

there should be some about! friend got me some little natsu figurines from gatcha machines, but not as common as others. Anime lab is pretty good.
Oh man, I looked at every damn gachapon an none of them were Fairy Tail either :( Oh well, Abbey will still be pretty happy with the Pokemon haul, even if she does have to wait a few weeks for her birthday to get 'em :)

I reckon you guys should give soul eater a whirl, it's short, not heaps of episodes but good fun, it's what I found as a temporary replacement when I caught up on fairy tail and was sad I had no more to watch.
Thanks, I've put that on the list!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I think it's time to start planning next weekends meetup. Come on and join the party.

-----------------
Date
-----------------
Saturday November 14th

-----------------
Who's attending?
-----------------
Me
Tiddums
Crunchy
Marshy
Dazza

-----------------
Where we at?
-----------------
Fuck knows. Somewhere with alcohol. Games lab was an idea.

-----------------
Time?
-----------------
Afternoon til whenever I guess. We get into the city after midday so ?

Darren870

Anyways... Where we going when Lucian and Deafmutes get here. I'm busy 5-10, but can do drinks before and after.

Edit: Haha, great minds think alike!

KAP151

Anyone else seen that video kicking around of that drunken mess at the cup?

The "lady" and I use that term lightly in green dress. She is absolutely smashed swinging at the fences (both male and female) calling people c bombs, falling over herself and others in the process. Throw in a healthy dose of her flashing tits, ass and pretty much everything else in the process. Security has to drag her off. Its quite entertaining.

Does it get any more Aussie than that? I think not.

Anyone else seen that video kicking around of that drunken mess at the cup?

The "lady" and I use that term lightly in green dress. She is absolutely smashed swinging at the fences (both male and female) calling people c bombs, falling over herself and others in the process. Throw in a healthy dose of her flashing tits, ass and pretty much everything else in the process. Security has to drag her off. Its quite entertaining.

Does it get any more Aussie than that? I think not.

link?

I'm going to trot out my favourite anecdote related to the cup (see what I did there?)

Melb Cup Day 2000: I look out the window at work in Fortitude Valley to see if the car park was clear- it was one of those car parks where you could have to ask about 8-9 people to move their car- and some woman in a black polka dot dress and matching hat comes waltzing down the hill. Staggering is more accurate. As she gets closer to the office, it looks like she stumbles but before she gets up, a puddle of liquid emanates from her dress. When she's done, she gets up and continues to stagger down the hill, the liquid following her and basically coating the footpath outside our office.

I shall continue to post this story every Cup Day.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I think it's time to start planning next weekends meetup. Come on and join the party.

-----------------
Date
-----------------
Saturday November 14th

-----------------
Who's attending?
-----------------
Me
Tiddums
Crunchy
Marshy
Dazza

-----------------
Where we at?
-----------------

-----------------
Time?
-----------------

Fine I won't even make a token appearance

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Fine I won't even make a token appearance

You said family was too important :p

Fiiiiiine

-----------------
Date
-----------------
Saturday November 14th

-----------------
Who's attending?
-----------------
Def
Me
Tiddums
Crunchy
Marshy
Dazza

Token
Blackguy
Appearance
Blankcheck
-----------------
Where we at?
-----------------

-----------------
Time?
-----------------
Also Tiddums will be abandoning us around 9pm to go on a date. So we need to make a stopoff somewhere so he cant find us.

True, the disk Steam sends you has more GB on it.

If you buy the PC version from JB hifi, I'm assuming it's a disc version right? Right.

All copies are registered via steam, right? Right.

I guarantee that there'll be content not on the disc and retail copy owners will have to download it. Like a day one patch for example or even just the rest of the game.

If you buy a code from online or direct from steam, you'll be able to preload and potentially play earlier.

That's my thinking anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom