• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Yep, they're scum.

Also, this part is pretty annoying:

iiNet has recently changed its most popular internet plans, bumping them up to include 1TB of anytime data. For instance, iiNet’s $69.95 AUD Naked ADSL2+ plan went from 300GB to 1TB for no additional cost. While unconfirmed, these plan changes may have been made with the termination of the game-centric Freezone in mind.

As an equivalent Internode customer, I notice that there have been no changes to quotas or plan prices. All routing seems to pass through iiNet hardware though, and my connection quality and stability seems to be deteriorating.

Card Boy

Banned
Discount Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions tickets from $39

http://lasttix.com.au/buy-discount-tickets-pokemon-symphonic-evolutions

Going to Video Games Live this year was one of the best live experiences i have had i have no doubt this would be cool aswell going by the Youtube vids.

eSQ8nFp.png

Stackboy

It's not everyone in Australia since I've not had any tech issues with the MP in Halo 5. In fact I realised i don't like normal Warzone but I love the attack/defend Warzone. No overt lag issues either. This is in stark contrast with trying to play online with MCC last Christmas which never worked for me.

Of course, I'm nearly finished the SP (prob tonight) and I will most likely drop H5 Multi for CoD on Friday.

Yeah I know, I'm just glad I'm not alone with these issues. Check that thread.

Yeah I know, I'm just glad I'm not alone with these issues. Check that thread.

how's the single player been for you?

I wouldn't put any level of rank incompetence past 343 after MCC's disastrous online experience but it does seem weird that its fine for some but shit for others.

I'm in Brisbane and on internode ADSL 2+ through Telstra (ie internode buys from Telstra rather than Internode's own gear in the exchange). I don't play much else on XBL so I can't compare it to anything else.

speaking of TPG fucking up internode, the only option here until NBN turns up is Telstra but they have a decent offer thing for Foxtel subscribers (like here) add 85 for 500GB a month (which is better than 200GB a month for $90 I get from internode.

But bugger me if dealing with any type of Telstra customer service if I don't need to so Internode will have to get a lot worse/expensive before I jump ship.

Shaneus

As an equivalent Internode customer, I notice that there have been no changes to quotas or plan prices. All routing seems to pass through iiNet hardware though, and my connection quality and stability seems to be deteriorating.
It's really strange, I'm an ex-Neigbourhood Cable customer (that was bought by someone else before it was bought by iiNet, before it was bought by TPG) and I'm actually getting HFC upgrades. The latest speedtest.net had me downloading at 260Mbit/s which is over twice what it used to be (at ~100Mbit/s).

senahorse

It's really strange, I'm an ex-Neigbourhood Cable customer (that was bought by someone else before it was bought by iiNet, before it was bought by TPG) and I'm actually getting HFC upgrades. The latest speedtest.net had me downloading at 260Mbit/s which is over twice what it used to be (at ~100Mbit/s).

Sounds like a fault with speedtest, try downloading a linux iso from a local mirror or even something from Steam and see what speeds you get. DOCSIS3.1 is coming but it's not even in trial yet.

I should also add you can do more with DOCSIS3.0 but no-one is bothering in Australia to my knowledge.

Danoss

So who is the whirlpool approved isp now?

Is there an ISP left that anyone reputable would be willing to stand behind? With the market reduced to three major companies and the NBN, what's left?

That's cable though, right? I'm on ADSL, so there's no hope for anything like what you're experiencing, especially at my distance from the exchange. TPG has been messing about in the exchange, looking at the network advisories. I assume their network "engineers" just dropped in to take a massive dump on the equipment, slap on a "TPG wuz 'ere" sticker and then promptly exited the building.

Shaneus

That's cable though, right? I'm on ADSL, so there's no hope for anything like what you're experiencing, especially at my distance from the exchange. TPG has been messing about in the exchange, looking at the network advisories. I assume their network "engineers" just dropped in to take a massive dump on the equipment, slap on a "TPG wuz 'ere" sticker and then promptly exited the building.
Yup. I'm not saying my experience will be remotely like anyone else's, more just saying it's weird how my service has improved dramatically even though they've been bought by TPG. But yeah, despite their assertions I have strong doubts performance will get better or even stay the same under the new owners, at least on ADSL.

Sounds like a fault with speedtest, try downloading a linux iso from a local mirror or even something from Steam and see what speeds you get. DOCSIS3.1 is coming but it's not even in trial yet.

I should also add you can do more with DOCSIS3.0 but no-one is bothering in Australia to my knowledge.
I'm sure it isn't, in Whirlpool someone else said they saw an improvement as well. This is their results, mine were near-identical. From Steam I was getting something stupid like ~28MB/s (yup, megabytes)... that's what made me do a speed test and look for info on Whirlpool.

Edit:
KzsM6Lg.png

Fun fact: Michael Bowe was my boss close to 20 years ago in my first IT job, back when dialup was king. Now he works for TransACT/iiNet/TPG (I guess).

I do know someone else in Geelong, also on ex-Neighbourhood cable, who's getting around 150Mb on their connection. Lucky buggers, my cable connection during peak periods is worse than it's been in years.

i need to get away from iinet. i as going to go with tpg since they had phone/unlimited adsl but eh. any ideas as to large-ish quotas with home phone included? probably not voip

Arksy

Feeling particularly terrible these last few weeks, could use a good shooter right now.

Anyone know what the best deal for us Aussies is on the latest CoD game? Looking for PC.

Feeling particularly terrible these last few weeks, could use a good shooter right now.

Anyone know what the best deal for us Aussies is on the latest CoD game? Looking for PC.

In terms of PC? Depends what kind of key you are looking for really. Activision tend to have high prices on Steam and rarely put them on sale.

OzGameShop has a key for $57. Not up to date on PC gaming so maybe the other guys can help out too!

EDIT: Thanks Clive, GMG has it for $56ish depending on your currency conversion.

jambo

BigW have the console versions for $64, but no mention of PC.

They are going to be selling it, just no idea what price...

You anrie, you joining us next weekend?

Good good. I legit have no idea. Last time I walked around the city was with you guys last year.

well you didnt put me on the list so i assumed not.
me and syth will have our own meet up with blackjack and hookers

yeah should be there

Arksy

Much appreciated guys - I haven't played CoD since MW1 and I haven't ever really played the multiplayer. Hope it's decent.

Danoss

Yup. I'm not saying my experience will be remotely like anyone else's, more just saying it's weird how my service has improved dramatically even though they've been bought by TPG. But yeah, despite their assertions I have strong doubts performance will get better or even stay the same under the new owners, at least on ADSL.

It certainly is weird. TPG most likely doesn't have enough experience with HFC to ruin the experience for their customers. Given enough time, they'll figure it out.

My only other option is HFC with Optus. I left them for Internode because they were horrible, so there's no way I'll be going back. Now I've been ensnared by TPG. There's no escaping this shit.

KrisB

'Node plans will change soon. :)

EDIT:

Steam Downloads, Xbox Live and Gameservers.com servers are remaining unmetered for eligible services. (Adsl1/2/FTTH/HFC/VDSL1/WiMAX)
Games.on.net is going though.

I apologise for being the worst Aussie contributing member, I always just stop by a question or two.

Does anyone know of a legit steam key for Fallout 4, for under $60 AU?

N0VAM0D

Hows everyone going with their X-files viewing? We got to the end of season 5 last night, tonight we watch the movie :)

I'm up to S02E16, absolutely loving it. It has consumed me. I'm gonna get the board game for myself for Christmas eeeee! Have you been enjoying it a lot so far?

senahorse

I'm up to S02E16, absolutely loving it. It has consumed me. I'm gonna get the board game for myself for Christmas eeeee! Have you been enjoying it a lot so far?

Yeah very much so, has it's ups and downs and Mulder can be an insufferable douchebag at times, but overall it's a great show. I have watched it all before but not for about 10 years.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
well you didnt put me on the list so i assumed not.
me and syth will have our own meet up with blackjack and hookers

yeah should be there
Excellent. Will update the thingy when we hit a new page.
Besides, syth said he'd come later on. Didn't hear boo from you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom