• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone pls tell me, if I buy the disk copy of F4 from JB, will the disk need to be in my computers tray every time I want to play it in the future, or will it work the same as it would if I bought it straight from Steam?

senahorse

Can someone pls tell me, if I buy the disk copy of F4 from JB, will the disk need to be in my computers tray every time I want to play it in the future, or will it work the same as it would if I bought it straight from Steam?

Same as steam, it only has 1/5 of the required install on the disc as well.

Omikron

21GB I think it was after the slow disc install which I just cancelled out of anyway.

Pretty sure the slow disc install bit is because it is decrypting the content. Was reporting as 1-2 hours for me, someone told me it actually took about 45mins to finish though.

I cancelled the same as you though :p

Sold. I'm going to concentrate on F4 and CoD Multi for a bit so I don't need it for a few weeks anyway but I doubt its going to drop much more before I start playing.

I popped the Fallout disc in last night and thought I'd play some Tomb Raider while the day 1 patch downloaded.

4 hours later I was still playing Tomb Raider...

Fallout will have to wait.

Gazunta

That Steam controller thing sounds awesome, I'll definitely be up for one of them when I get my new machine
The saving up for a Surface Pro 4 starts today, only $2000 to go ><

It was so nice to walk around PAX and not be working the show. I'm posting that here because I'd like you all to remind me of this when I get sucked back into the God damn games industry again :p

I'm glad you're all enjoying your Fallouts! I will never play it but it sounds nice.

Shovel Knight 3DS is $37 at Target, I think I will buy that! That is my kind of game.

We got a PlayStation TV for work to play during lunch, does anyone know if PS1 games support multiple controllers on it? It would be nice to have some Street Fighter Alpha 2 happening at work.

jambo

We got a PlayStation TV for work to play during lunch, does anyone know if PS1 games support multiple controllers on it? It would be nice to have some Street Fighter Alpha 2 happening at work.

Seems like up to 4 controllers will work, so you should be able to play PS1 classics.

I can try some tonight.

Wife has been loving having a PSTV. Her PS4 is in another room, but the PSTV lets her be out in our main area and still play all her games. There is a bit of lag, but with stuff like AssCreed and Witcher 3 it's not too bad. It helps having it all wired with Cat6.

Hi ausgaf. I was able to reset my password
so I'm no longer just the person who drops into chat and spams "dota time"

Anyway, picked up fallout 4. Didn't realise it was coming out today. What's the word on it? Have I made a huge mistake? Is it buggy as hell?

theres the horse pic i know and love. none of this kids cave painting buisness

Gazunta

Shaneus yep $66 including shipping. Even if I only use it for TxK and Street Fighter Alpha 3 I am SET and that won't even fill the 1GB space on it.

Oh and it came with codes for Worms Revolution, OlliOlli and...something else.

Edit: Quick bit of Googling shows that you can use multiple controllers for PS1 games, and even some PSP / PSV games that have explicitly supported it, and some Vita games let you use a Vita as a second controller. That's neat.

Edit 2: My new comic, Rose #2, is now available to pre-order! :)

Yeah GMG were told by publishers a few years back they had to raise prices for AU gamers. They even made a coupon specific for us at the time :(

All prices on there are US dollars. Where ever it says AU means it's an AU region key.

Shovel Knight 3DS is $37 at Target, I think I will buy that! That is my kind of game.

It's 20% off on their eBay store too, just need to grab something for $2 to get free postage ;)

I thought you were making a reference to this: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-pc-discs-dont-contain-full-data-partial-/1100-6431658/

If not, it's worse than you thought.

It's been a while, but when I've bought steam games at retail you could either put the code in and forget about the disk altogether, or install from the disk and then patch from Steam. The latter usually means less download.

So the retail version has both advantages, cheaper and potentially a quicker install. Not sure I would pay

*AUSGAF KLAXONS*

twice the price

just to preload, but you're right to point out that it is an advantage if your net is a bit shit. And you can probably get a cheap steam code that lets you preload. I think $59AU is cheaper than most though.

If you're main interest is playing the game the moment it unlocks then yeah, preloaded steam key is literally your only option as even if the disc had all the content it would take longer to grab from store and put in CD drive than just to click play as soon as the timer is up on Steam.

In hindsight, given that there's an almost 20GB download with the disc version, buying from GMG was probably a good call ($20 more and everything).

Not only would I not have been able to play at midnight, but I wouldn't have been able to play for a good two days or so.

So what's the point of the disc?

jambo

64VCGfS.jpg

In hindsight, given that there's an almost 20GB download with the disc version, buying from GMG was probably a good call ($20 more and everything).

Not only would I not have been able to play at midnight, but I wouldn't have been able to play for a good two days or so.

So what's the point of the disc?
PC version might not have been finished before discs were printed. Retailers prefer to sell PC games in case rather than just download cards.

theres the horse pic i know and love. none of this kids cave painting buisness

What's wrong with Onfim and his rad drawings?

Set FO4 to download overnight and spent an hour this morning playing it. Liking it so far. Only done character creation so far and then looked through the perks. I need more game time.

jambo

I totally didn't realise you could customise both sexes in the intro part.

Missed out on putting a beard on my husband.

senahorse

Pretty sure the slow disc install bit is because it is decrypting the content. Was reporting as 1-2 hours for me, someone told me it actually took about 45mins to finish though.

I cancelled the same as you though :p

That would make sense as it would copy in systematic bursts of data.

Shaneus

Harvey Norman had a clearout sale over the weekend, Rep posted it on Twitter I think? Looks like they sold out. :/
Ah shit, I missed it completely. Have been looking for one ever since they hacked in the TV-supported games a few months back (and actually a bit earlier solely for TxK big-screenness). That's what I get for helping my girlfriend out with her house and not watching the internet like a hawk :(

If anyone has one they want to sell and the software hasn't been updated on it, let me know!

you could plug any old figure 8 into the power socket. like $2-3 from Bunnings.
Figure 8? I think you're confused. This is figure 8:
99HiuO4m.jpg

This is the PSTV:
aaFULXm.jpg

Danoss

This is the PSTV:
aaFULXm.jpg

Looks like a standard plug and a quick search reveals the standard power adapter outputs 5V at 2A. Find out the plug size and what polarity the centre is and eBay or Jaycar should be able to deliver what's needed to power the thing.

But, I think what Clive means is that you could use the power pack that comes with the unit and just replace the figure 8 cable between the pack and the wall. UK voltage is the same as ours, so this is all you'll need to do for it to work here. If they had some wacky connection instead of figure 8, then a simple UK-AU socket adapter would be your best option.

Gazunta

Yeah I just opened mine to set up at work, and the Australian part of the power supply detaches from the part of the power supply that plugs into the PSTV unit (that tiny port on the right rear). So you can get an overseas unit and just plug in a figure 8 cord into that no problems. The main power unit is 100-240v so you're set.

Edit: Would love to hear recommendations for multiplayer PSTV games I can play at work. So far I've put Street Fighter Alpha 3 (multiplayer works with a Vita being player 2), Crash Team Racing and I'll get Worms Revolution up once PSN store works again. But I'd love to hear some other recommendations, especially for small games that won't fill up that 1GB internal memory ;)

Ah shit, I missed it completely. Have been looking for one ever since they hacked in the TV-supported games a few months back (and actually a bit earlier solely for TxK big-screenness). That's what I get for helping my girlfriend out with her house and not watching the internet like a hawk :(

If anyone has one they want to sell and the software hasn't been updated on it, let me know!

Figure 8? I think you're confused. This is figure 8:
99HiuO4m.jpg

This is the PSTV:
aaFULXm.jpg

in my confusion, I googled Shane+egg+on+his+face but the results were only a partial match and not suitable for GAF ;)

Gazunta

willnotbejealousofsurfacebookownerswillnotbejealousofsurfacebookowners
willbegratefulforwhatihaveinmylifewillbegratefulforwhatihaveinmylife
fuuuuuck

Shaneus

in my confusion, I googled Shane+egg+on+his+face but the results were only a partial match and not suitable for GAF ;)
I don't get it.

Fake edit (after reading Gaz' post): Oh, you mean it has a separate power supply that has a figure 8 going into it that *then* goes into the PSTV, a la the Vita? OH. Because that was totally clear and your part and everything.

Next time when offering suggestions, I'll be sure to post intentionally vague advice as well.

I'm going to continue to be snarky as well, until I get a PSTV for myself because that UK seller is no longer selling them. I've been wanting one for yonks :(

That part was particularly affecting thanks to having a 4 month old son

Fallout 4 spoiler:
The almost complete lack of emotion was jarring, I expected a more moving and powerful reaction, especially since we've had stuff like TLoU/TW3 set fairly basic emotional benchmarks

I don't get it.

Fake edit (after reading Gaz' post): Oh, you mean it has a separate power supply that has a figure 8 going into it that *then* goes into the PSTV, a la the Vita? OH. Because that was totally clear and your part and everything.

Next time when offering suggestions, I'll be sure to post intentionally vague advice as well.

I'm going to continue to be snarky as well, until I get a PSTV for myself because that UK seller is no longer selling them. I've been wanting one for yonks :(

lolz0r. I bought my brother one for christmas last year from Amazon and it worked fine here. He says he uses it all the time. Black Friday is coming up in a few weeks so they may do some awesome deals.

now let's all make fun of Mutes when his Surface Book ends up in Perth
in a mail truck that gets stolen and dumped in the Swan

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It cool man. I got your sarsaparilla.

Also: cheap (aka free) shit to do in tokyo? Shoot ausgaf.

Haven't done the proper maths yet. But budgets Prob about $30 a day for food / shit to do. Possibly less!

Hopefully museums are like the UK and free. Not like shitty Aus.

Shaneus

lolz0r. I bought my brother one for christmas last year from Amazon and it worked fine here. He says he uses it all the time. Black Friday is coming up in a few weeks so they may do some awesome deals.
I've noticed it's super cheap on Amazon already at $35US. Haven't done the conversion yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom