• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Do any of you people with small humans struggle to get baby formula these days? (I think most of the humans you own are probably too old or you might not even use it aye)

Don't have to use it anymore, but I'm seeing a lot of reports of shortages. Even fights between shoppers guarding their stash.

N0VAM0D

Oh damn, I remembered I was going to post in this thread after I became a member but I forgot.

I live in NSW and have been watching my partner binge on Fallout 4 since picking it up at midnight the other night.

Hey there fellow NSW GAFfer, nice to meet you! (I've seen you around tho)

Speaking of gumtree, I was thinking of sticking some bikes on there I no longer ride. I've never used it though as I've been big into Ebay, but I hear Gumtree is better for things like what I want to sell. What's selling on there like?

I've had overall good experiences honestly. I'm selling some things on there right now actually. Only annoying thing is people who waste your time by giving fucking stupid offers. Like, I was selling an iPad for $300 (almost brand new), and some guy tried to get me down to $150. Hell no.

quabba

Do any of you people with small humans struggle to get baby formula these days? (I think most of the humans you own are probably too old or you might not even use it aye)

I had a (maybe Japanese) tourist stop me at Woolworth to ask if they could feed baby formula to adults a while ago.

jambo

There have been a few infant deaths in China because of contaminated formula, so the Chinese market started buying up big chunks of stock from Aussie suppliers.

Then on top of that, random cunts have been buying entire pallets of the stuff and selling it for a premium on eBay/GumTree.

Woolworths and Coles have started enforcing limits on the number of tins you can buy at at time.

Luckily our little one is still on breast milk, plus we have a bunch frozen. The giant tin we bought a couple of months ago is still 90% full.

CTp9um-UYAAaHOr.jpg:large

Nope no issue. Wife said there was some kind of shortage due to supply issues (damn kiwis!) but we are fine down here, just stocked up for the next little one!

Deeku

Yeah it's a Chinese thing plus people trying to make money off the Chinese thing plus plus rich Chinese going elsewhere to buy formula due to the clamp downs in Hong Kong. I think there's still a 2 can restriction in HK for people crossing the border back into China lol

Chinese people are also crowding pharmacies in japan buying up flu medicine for whatever reason. Actually, one reason is apparently japanese medicines have cuter packaging lol

Moral of story, made in china still dodgy!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
A few years ago Chinese baby milk makers got busted because they were adding melamine to their powder to make it look like it had more protein. End result: lots of hospitalised, injured and dead babies and zero confidence in Chinese-made foodstuffs.

Hong Kong got the brunt of it first. People were buying up all the supplies of baby milk and sending them through the mail. Or they'd go to Hong Kong, fill up a suitcase, and make tons of money selling them on the mainland.

When the Hong Kong government cracked down on it, Chinese vendors moved onto Korea, Taiwan, Japan, etc. Restrictions were quickly put in place there.

Australia's just the next link in this chain. It helps that Australian farmers feel they can make a profit this way instead of being forced by Coles/Woolworths/etc to accept pennies for milk. I'd be investing in this stuff if I were you guys.

A few years ago Chinese baby milk makers got busted because they were adding melamine to their powder to make it look like it had more protein. End result: lots of hospitalised, injured and dead babies and zero confidence in Chinese-made foodstuffs.

Hong Kong got the brunt of it first. People were buying up all the supplies of baby milk and sending them through the mail. Or they'd go to Hong Kong, fill up a suitcase, and make tons of money selling them on the mainland.

When the Hong Kong government cracked down on it, Chinese vendors moved onto Korea, Taiwan, Japan, etc. Restrictions were quickly put in place there.

Australia's just the next link in this chain. It helps that Australian farmers feel they can make a profit this way instead of being forced by Coles/Woolworths/etc to accept pennies for milk. I'd be investing in this stuff if I were you guys.

Yeah I know quite a few local millionaires due to the insane amount of money in milk in our region the last few years. Pretty insane.

Deeku

It's actually pretty sad that food safety is still such a huge issue for a country that's ostensibly a world super power.

Jintor

It's actually pretty sad that food safety is still such a huge issue for a country that's ostensibly a world super power.

it was the same for russia back in the day i think. just cos you have international political power doesn't mean squat regarding domestic issues really. also china is so fucking ass backwards weird about regulation.

it's also the size of europe

dity

expect to be lowballed so adjust price accordingly.

Not everyone is going to show up even if they say they are, just say first in best dressed, there are a lot of time wasters.

It is pretty civil otherwise.

Lots of time wasters! Easiest to meet somewhere public I feel, more likely to tell you up front if they aren't going to turn up.

Zero cost which is great, also you don't have the refund process being completely in the favour of the buyer like it is on eBay.

Hm, maybe I should just stick to Ebay then. I can't fit the bikes in my car so taking them to a public place every time someone might be interested probably isn't gonna be that fun.

Hey there fellow NSW GAFfer, nice to meet you! (I've seen you around tho)

I've had overall good experiences honestly. I'm selling some things on there right now actually. Only annoying thing is people who waste your time by giving fucking stupid offers. Like, I was selling an iPad for $300 (almost brand new), and some guy tried to get me down to $150. Hell no.

Nice to meet you too.

Ah damn, people who lowball that far sound just like my mother - always trying to be as cheap as possible. Is that the offer they give you in person, or just via text?

industrian

I trust Chinese foodstuffs as much as I trust American ones.

That and an interest fact I heard was that a large number of organic farms in the world are in China, and they are owned by members of the Chinese government and other rich people in order to guarantee them a trustworthy food supply.

Deeku

I trust Chinese foodstuffs as much as I trust American ones.

That and an interest fact I heard was that a large number of organic farms in the world are in China, and they are owned by members of the Chinese government and other rich people in order to guarantee them a trustworthy food supply.
I've heard something different regarding that lol. Like, all the organic licenses are dodgy cos the officials are corrupt. The farmers themselves don't care cos they're getting paid and the food is "just for the rich people". Also rich chinese import everything.

But yea who knows, everything is shady!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I've heard something different regarding that lol. Like, all the organic licenses are dodgy cos the officials are corrupt. The farmers themselves don't care cos they're getting paid and the food is "just for the rich people". Also rich chinese import everything.

They also buy up not just farms, but large produce companiesin Aus, and in particular some very large produce companies, for the soul purpose of redirecting product to the Chinese market rather than the Australian.

Then selling the aspects of the business that are too tailored to the Australian market.

It's great fun.

industrian

Pretty much. If there's money to be made in China then you'll have enough cut corners to make a circle.

That and - off topic - "Organic" is a scam anyways. It's a marketing label and is not indicative of quality or ethics in any way. The only thing that "organic" food does better than "non-organic" food is that it allows middle-class people and deluded utopianistic lefties to feel superior to everyone else.

A long term goal of mine is to have my own small farm and grow my own food supply. Vegetables, eggs, etc. But the further you chase that "self sufficient" ideal the crazier you'll get (Where do the seeds come from? Is the soil good enough? What about this equipment? Is the water pure enough? etc...). And the end result of that craziness is that you become a target for the same marketing people that convinced all those "organic" lovers that they're doing something positive for the world. ("Buy this 99.99999% pure soil/water for $10000! Your tools may have chemicals on them! Get hazardous-chemical-free tools for only $5000!", etc...)

Anyways, you guys really need to invest in milk and other foodstuffs. The future of your country is being the food supply for Asia. Prepare for it now and make some money.

I was aware of the 2008 milk scandal (though truthfully only since a month or so ago when I read a book about some aussies living in Shanghai around that time). Just think it's kinda crazy it's having such huge ramifications still 8 years later! Shows how damaging a chance in reputability and perceptions can be. (Or since I'm not too aware of what's happened since the scandal it's also possible Chinese food companies still aren't up to snuff).

I heard that current formula shortages going on are due to the sales Alibaba had going on during Singles Day.

I had a (maybe Japanese) tourist stop me at Woolworth to ask if they could feed baby formula to adults a while ago.

Did you direct them to the instant dairy milk powder ;)

milk is baby formula guys o_O just baby cowies

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The moment they start buying up more of our fresh produce we're fucked.

There's already not enough produce to go around at the supermarket level to meet demand.

Certain product lines start being bought up for overseas markets. Meaning our stores need to look into sourcing from overseas, which means our industry is ravaged by pests, meaning our quality of what is grown locally drops, meaning our product doesn't sell over seas, meaning there's now an influx of locally grown product not being bought meaning everyone's fucked meaning I'm on holidays and I need to stop thinking abou this work shit. God Damn it guys change topic I'm on holidays

Deeku

That and - off topic - "Organic" is a scam anyways. It's a marketing label and is not indicative of quality or ethics in any way. The only thing that "organic" food does better than "non-organic" food is that it allows middle-class people and deluded utopianistic lefties to feel superior to everyone else.
Sadly I have totally bought into the organic scam:( But I'm not completely delusional! 60hkd (~8usd) for 200g of organic Aus broccoli? Gimme a fuckin break lol!

industrian

I remember that one time years ago when our dollar was worth something. Those were the days.

I generally only track AUD and GBP as I get paid in the latter. I only recently discovered just how far you guys have dropped to USD. One of their dollars gets AU$1.40.

I remember in 2011/2012 when you guys had a stronger dollar and I needed to fight my bosses to provide cheaper Australian prices to accommodate the strong AUD.

But Australia is all about that Dutch disease. It'll get better once Asian countries start building shit again.

Sadly I have totally bought into the organic scam:( But I'm not completely delusional! 60hkd (~8usd) for 200g of organic Aus broccoli? Gimme a fuckin break lol!

I'm talking more about the people you find who actively think they're doing something positive for the environment just buy spending more money on food. You know, the same people who post messages on Facebook such as "drinking milk gives you osteoporosis" and "read the China Study and don't be so stupid".

dity

I generally only track AUD and GBP as I get paid in the latter. I only recently discovered just how far you guys have dropped to USD. One of their dollars gets AU$1.40.

I remember in 2011/2012 when you guys had a stronger dollar and I needed to fight my bosses to provide cheaper Australian prices to accommodate the strong AUD.

But Australia is all about that Dutch disease. It'll get better once Asian countries start building shit again.

Yeah out dollar is really in the pits right now. Some years ago it was amazing to import things, now it's painful - especially when you use Steam.

Heck I want to have a company mod an Animal Crossing New3DS with video output so that my SO can play games on the big screen, but it's like us$250 which becomes au$350 or so. It's insane.

Silentium

I'm talking more about the people you find who actively think they're doing something positive for the environment just buy spending more money on food. You know, the same people who post messages on Facebook such as "drinking milk gives you osteoporosis" and "read the China Study and don't be so stupid".

Yeah out dollar is really in the pits right now. Some years ago it was amazing to import things, now it's painful - especially when you use Steam.

Heck I want to have a company mod an Animal Crossing New3DS with video output so that my SO can play games on the big screen, but it's like us$250 which becomes au$350 or so. It's insane.
I'm not so sure it'll rebound anytime soon. I think we're looking at a return to mean, historical average has been around US$0.75 since it floated. Combined with globally depressed resource prices (which is looking like it'll stick around for at least the next couple of years), the possibility that the US will start raising interest rates, and possibility of domestic recession/no growth environment - I think we're in for an extended period of low AUD. It'll be interesting, because I feel like Australian's have grown used to a level of purchasing power beyond the long term trend; the adjustment to the new reality is going to be painful

Anyways, you guys really need to invest in milk and other foodstuffs. The future of your country is being the food supply for Asia. Prepare for it now and make some money.
Spot on, I think its time for the country to ride on the back of the sheep again. We need to be pushing our agriculture/pastoral products as *the* best quality you can buy in the global market (think France with wine, Italy with foodstuffs). The FTAs recently completed should help with this.

Darren870

The moment they start buying up more of our fresh produce we're fucked.

There's already not enough produce to go around at the supermarket level to meet demand.

Certain product lines start being bought up for overseas markets. Meaning our stores need to look into sourcing from overseas, which means our industry is ravaged by pests, meaning our quality of what is grown locally drops, meaning our product doesn't sell over seas, meaning there's now an influx of locally grown product not being bought meaning everyone's fucked meaning I'm on holidays and I need to stop thinking abou this work shit. God Damn it guys change topic I'm on holidays

What do you mean the moment. We are fucked here. In every where I've lived I've never seen prices more fucked. Australia is literally picked dry and everything goes overseas.

Look at lemons. Everyone has a lemon tree yet it's still a $1 a lemon.

Unheard of in the UK and US. Don't get me started on finer food.

Dimefan3

The kicker is what FM radio does to sound, regardless of the source

Lol yeah I know - but how many radio stations are doing this nowadays? Not many.

My last station I worked at we ran a similar thing for a while - playing a whole album on a sunday night. It was pretty awesome. Then of course a new PD came in and got rid of it. *sigh*

industrian

We need to be pushing our agriculture/pastoral products as *the* best quality you can buy in the global market (think France with wine, Italy with foodstuffs).

It wouldn't be that hard.

Taiwanese and Korean people hate having to buy American beef. And I personally disliked how the Taiwanese Costco switched from Australian beef to American. Your food has got a reputation for quality, so why not make the most of it.

What do you mean the moment. We are fucked here. In every where I've lived I've never seen prices more fucked. Australia is literally picked dry and everything goes overseas.

Food prices in Caboolture/Morayfield were the cheapest I've ever seen in my life. But I know it's unsustainable. Coles/Woolworths fuck the farmer. The farmer fucks the migrant labourer. Then the migrant labourer fucks off and then people wonder why strawberries now cost $20 a kilo. Alternatively the farmer just sells abroad and jacks up prices that way.

EU countries are in the same boat. We're quickly becoming food sources for the increasing middle classes in China. That's why we're getting rid of the EU quotas: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-eu-32129018

I don't blame these companies for it either. You're more likely to make money selling baby milk powder in a country with 16 million births a year than you will in a country with 300,000 a year. It just means that we need to become a lot more localised in how we source food and make a lot more investments into the infrastructure needed to support the food supply (water, etc).

Damn supermarket cartels pushing up prices! Shit is way cheaper at local food markets thankfully.

My relatives in NZ complain so much about all their meat being exported and paying twice the price for meat that we do lol

Darren870

Shit that reminds me. I've got some beans in the fridge that are probably going off.

But yes, fresh food markets are definitely the way to go. Good deals can be had and of higher quality. It's just no were as easy as rocking into a super market though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm used to it already. But there are some things I no longer eat due to the prices, but also things Australia is known for.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
And tiddums flight is late. Of course. Someone come entertain me at the airport for half an hour :D

I may have pregamed on my flight. Woo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom