• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks rep, that's pretty cool, I haven't seen that site before. I used to use ecogamer back in the day but never really found a replacement after that died. Gamecafe was useful for comparing online prices, but if press-start is tracking the retail prices for big releases then that's great news :)

Heh thanks, I write the price roundups for PressStart and I plan on doing it for quite some time :)

Yeah the loss of EcoGamer was painful at the time, they're still around but the most productive members shifted to OzBargain which I highly recommend checking at least once a day, if there is a bargain anywhere in Australia they will find it!

This popped up in my Facebook feed and I thought of you guys.

https://www.bangonbanners.com/partners/rockbottom/australian-flag-wall-hanging-p-55.html

NSFW I guess.

Played some games this weekend for the first time in ages. Bought a house and had a baby in the last couple of months so shit has been crazy. Got addicted hard to Invisible Inc. and ended up buying it, I guess free Steam weekends really work. Also played a bit of The Talos Principle. PC gaming is still amazing.

dity

This popped up in my Facebook feed and I thought of you guys.

https://www.bangonbanners.com/partners/rockbottom/australian-flag-wall-hanging-p-55.html

NSFW I guess.

Played some games this weekend for the first time in ages. Bought a house and had a baby in the last couple of months so shit has been crazy. Got addicted hard to Invisible Inc. and ended up buying it, I guess free Steam weekends really work. Also played a bit of The Talos Principle. PC gaming is still amazing.

Name: Australian Flag

I like how there's not even anything to reference the source or the fact that there's a boot kicking a butt. It's just "Australian flag".

Big W has come through with the expected lower price, $63 :)

Only Target left now!

My $55/$69 Target Tomb Raider turned up today so with CoD and F4, Battlefront will likely be the last game I get this year. Though Just Cause 3 might be bought, just cos.

So can we talk about value? I wanna write something up but what are your metrics for getting your enjoyment from a game versus the cost in getting it?

jambo

Darren870

Turns out work is having a private screening of Star Wars for us, during the work day too!

Not to shabby, wasn't going to see it in the theaters. Guess I will now though!

Gazunta

Do we work at the same place Darren? :)

I can't wait! It's getting so hard to avoid all the trailers and ads and toys and stuff ><

Cerity

So it looks like Newegg.com are having a sale on video cards in their Aussie store, some are up to 10% off.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/219900

GTX 970
EVGA ACX 2.0+ $423.61

GTX 980 Ti
EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0+ $901.82
MSI OC $858.40
Gigabyte Windforce 3 OC $859.11

R9 390
MSI Gaming $437.53
PowerColor PCS+ $437.93

R9 390X
HIS $550.53

R9 Fury
XFX Triple Dissipation $788.82

R9 Fury X
XFX $938.01

With shipping as low as $17 to major cities, this is insane value!

Saw this last night, I'd be jumping on one of those 980ti's if I had a bit spare cash right now.

Heh sounds like Target will have the lowest price on Battlefront as expected. Probably $62, will announce tomorrow now that Big W have shown their hand.

My $55/$69 Target Tomb Raider turned up today so with CoD and F4, Battlefront will likely be the last game I get this year. Though Just Cause 3 might be bought, just cos.

So can we talk about value? I wanna write something up but what are your metrics for getting your enjoyment from a game versus the cost in getting it?

Guys, where's the best place to get the latest FIFA or Pro Evo for 360?

I'd take a shot at Target first followed by JB. Does it have to be the newest one? FIFA 15 is $29 at JB. Otherwise 16 is $69 at JB still

Wow that's an awesome price. Hopefully Target do have it for a similar price, because Big W is the only chain that don't have a store anywhere near me (and EB Games price matching is always an issue at the EB stores near me).

I expect they will want to be cheapest and price at $62. Seems to be their thing this year!

Adelaide people...namely Jambo, Lucian, Frawd, Brad, others?

Booked flights for a visit, Friday 11th December -> Monday 14th

Sunday i'll be busy for dad's birthday but shall we tentatively organize a meetup for friday or saturday? open to suggestions for drinking holes and times.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Sunday i'll be busy for dad's birthday but shall we tentatively organize a meetup for friday or saturday? open to suggestions for drinking holes and times.

bestgaf, lucky marsh, say hi to it for me

dity

So it looks like Newegg.com are having a sale on video cards in their Aussie store, some are up to 10% off.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/219900

GTX 970
EVGA ACX 2.0+ $423.61

GTX 980 Ti
EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0+ $901.82
MSI OC $858.40
Gigabyte Windforce 3 OC $859.11

R9 390
MSI Gaming $437.53
PowerColor PCS+ $437.93

R9 390X
HIS $550.53

R9 Fury
XFX Triple Dissipation $788.82

R9 Fury X
XFX $938.01

With shipping as low as $17 to major cities, this is insane value!

I keep forgetting that Newegg has an Australian store.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

Saturday would be better for me as I have to work that morning. If it were Friday I'd have to leave early.

Fake edit: oh and there's a band playing Friday night. CAM JOIN ME.

dity

I don't think I even knew. Are they competitive regarding HDDs as well, or is it just when they have stuff on sale?

I think so, but the problem has been shipping as I think most things ship from the USA (as was mentioned), so it ends up cheaper to order from a website like PCCaseGear.

Saturday would be better for me as I have to work that morning. If it were Friday I'd have to leave early.

Fake edit: oh and there's a band playing Friday night. CAM JOIN ME.

Sounds great! Might bring a +1 if that is ok as he will be picking me up. Who are we going to see? (let me know if i need to buy tickets)

Saturday would be best for me too, got a family thing on Sunday.

Great! Saturday night it is!

Nice, my local EB is really good with price matching. I know alot of people hate EB, but my local is really friendly.

I don't hate it, but I rarely see the point of going into one apart from console launches. its a question of value.

So, this week, Battlefront comes out with something like 12 maps and is more or less multiplayer only. It's less than $70 at most places and looks fun enough that if it click, you'll play it for a while, but will you play it enough to justify the price? What is your metric for value?

A long time ago, I made a deal with myself. If I got at least *1 hour of gameplay for every $10 I spent on it, then that was okay. Halo 3 and Bioshock were the rare examples of $99 being the cheapest I could find either. Both provided me with more than 10 hours and both were a lot of fun. This past year, I think only Lego Dimension cost more than $70 at launch (and that was a gift). Batman, Gears Remastered, Rare Replay, Metal Gear and AC easily paid for themselves, Mario Maker and Splatoon only just, but Yoshi and The Order didn't. According to my stats, I have played CoD: Blops 3 for more than a day- though I think a fair bit of that is idling in menus whilst off doing other things. It's more like 12 hours when combining the campaign and the multi. So that's paid for itself.
Over the years, I figure games like Borderlands, Fallout, Skyrim, GTA, AC, Crackdown, Orange Box, CoD MP, Zeldas and 3D Mario games more than make up for the stuff that I quit early like Watch Dogs, Shadow of Mordor. I don't sell or trade games anymore so whatever I don't like ends up staying on my shelves. Part of the reason I don't get more digital games is that there is rarely much incentive to do so with the prices we get charged here.

So do you care how much playtime a game gives you when compared to the cost of acquisition? It's not so much if a fun game is full price yet very short, but more the games that aren't as much fun compared to the price you paid.

Yes, maybe I should just wait two years and get everything when Big W dumps old stock or Steam sales. But I like playing games at launch and being part of that conversation.

*of course, I don't include the console purchase in this as it'd make me nuts when buying multiplats. Hmm I want Skyrim on PC but the PS3 has been neglected lately...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Didn't even know Ne Ob was touring, That's probably going to be a good show.

Although the first album was better than the second!

Lucian Cat

Seeing Ne Obliviscaris again? I might come along myself. I'm planning to go to Alestorm next weekend, it'll probably take me a few weeks to recover from that.
I'm doing both. Pray for my liver.
Didn't even know Ne Ob was touring, That's probably going to be a good show.

Although the first album was better than the second!

Both albums are pretty great imo. And yeah, touring oz in december! Seen them 3 times now. Do not disappoint.

Cerity

I don't hate it, but I rarely see the point of going into one apart from console launches. its a question of value.

The only time I really go into EB is to grab nintendo games, sure the Target/Big W/JB not too far away probably has it for cheaper but I always end up getting the games price matched. The guys at my local are always helpful and offer decent convo, unlike my local Target/Big W where I often have to go hunting for staff as the games I want aren't usually on shelves yet. Even on launch day.

It also was cool when they gave me my Dark Souls 1 PC preorder a week early.

dity

Is anyone here going to that Pokemon Symphony Orchestra at the Sydney Opera House this weekend?

I wish I could have gone. My partner just found out about it last week and she was ultra disappointed that it's sold out.

Lucian Cat

Last time Alestorm were in Adelaide, I actually ended up back at a pub after the show with the band and their opening act. I also had work the next morning. Good times. Hungover times.

I too will be working the morning after Alestorm. Imma hate myself and everyone I love.

Also working the morning after NeO. I guess this is the month of no sleep for Lisa if plans come to fruition for the radgaf meet as well.

Paging Clipper, Arnie and any other boardgame GAF: my GF used to a game as a kid she remembers being possibly called Surveillance but can't seem to find anything about it on the Internet. Apparently there were cards you could pick up that allowed you to put another player under surveillance and could possibly poison them with a card too?

The cover and back of the cards had a guy wearing a dick Tracy style detective coat and hat.

Verrrry vague description but this is all she and her sister remember about it. Any help would be swell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom