• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
Went to DSE on George St this morning, first through the doors and they didn't have jackshit from that Ozbargain link. No DSLR, no decent games for sale.

Dryk

Why in the fuck would you give up peak Australian summertime for this:

7ugamne.jpg
I can think of a reason

2SeeKU

I work, like, two blocks away from there. How many GongGaffers around? Also totally picking up that Tearaway + plushy tomorrow.

I was a gonggaffer up until 2 years ago, then moved to Canberra for the lifestyle... I'm joking obviously. I moved here due to work.

Wollongong is such a nice city. Beautiful beaches, decent drivers (seriously, Canberra drivers must get their licence in a cereal box) and still has that small town feel.

Darren870

Is Darren870 around? I'm looking at travelling to the UK in late January and was wondering if he had any suggestions for Premium Economy.

Or did Death never return from Europe and Dags is assisting police with their inquiries?

Did you want to fly into London? How long? I think I saw some cheap flights, I'll take a look.

If you're ever in Melbourne, try Two Little Pigs charcuterie on Sydney Rd in Brunswick:

PS. Best burger in Melbourne by far can be found at Dude Food Man in Essendon. Not a big variety, but what they do can't be beat. Not too big, juicy but not greasy and shit doesn't drip everywhere.

Yea, Two Little Pigs is good! Its around the corner from me so I go often. Haven't actually been for breakfast though!

I'll have to give the burger place a try too, that's not too far.

Did you want to fly into London? How long? I think I saw some cheap flights, I'll take a look.

Moving to Cambridge to start a new job in Feb. One way is fine but I'd prefer not to kill myself in economy if poss so happy to pay extras for premium eco on a direct as poss flight from Brisbane.

Also, if anyone has a tip about transporting pets OS, that would be very helpful.

Yes, I go from being "freelance" to full-time in-house again. Fuck the last five years.

Darren870

Moving to Cambridge to start a new job in Feb. One way is fine but I'd prefer not to kill myself in economy if poss so happy to pay extras for premium eco on a direct as poss flight from Brisbane.

Also, if anyone has a tip about transporting pets OS, that would be very helpful.

Yes, I go from being "freelance" to full-time in-house again. Fuck the last five years.

Ahh, moving is always a pain. Do you have any points with Virgin or Singapore Air? They are interchangeable between the two. If you have points its often cheaper to buy the economy and use the points to upgrade to Premium or Business.

One way trips are harder for deals. I took a quick look and can see some on Singapore & Virgin for about $1850 Premium Econ. I did from Perth since I think you are in WA? It was like $850 for regular Econ but not as good Airlines.

I'll look a bit more.

As for animals over seas, you usually need a pet passport and a few other things. Honestly, its easier to have a company arrange it all for you, but it obviously costs a lot more. I shipped a cat from the UK to the US, I think it was about $1k, but going into the US is really easy because there is no real restrictions like the UK and Aus.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I picked up a 12GB PS3 in Kmart Bankstown today for $129. The last one they had in stock.

A 1TB WD Blue costs around $85 I think (and even less in Taiwan) so it turns out a lot cheaper than just buying a 500GB model.

Ahh, moving is always a pain. Do you have any points with Virgin or Singapore Air? They are interchangeable between the two. If you have points its often cheaper to buy the economy and use the points to upgrade to Premium or Business.

One way trips are harder for deals. I took a quick look and can see some on Singapore & Virgin for about $1850 Premium Econ. I did from Perth since I think you are in WA? It was like $850 for regular Econ but not as good Airlines.

I'll look a bit more.

As for animals over seas, you usually need a pet passport and a few other things. Honestly, its easier to have a company arrange it all for you, but it obviously costs a lot more. I shipped a cat from the UK to the US, I think it was about $1k, but going into the US is really easy because there is no real restrictions like the UK and Aus.

thanks. From Brisbane. A return ticket might be handy since I apparently won't be able to roll over leave year to year but just checking options.

Legend. Legend. Dead set legend.

Arriving back in Australia after 6 weeks, what's new? Do we have another new PM yet?

richly deserved. while you were away we had ice-cream on boards, joked about moneybags mods getting surface books, and Adelaide being hit by the Death Star.

where do we stand on oxford commas? I was taught we weren't to use them in Australia but they seem to be so much more useful.

Fusebox

Banned
Just got the Dr Who Lego Dimensions pack and a mega-yarn-Yoshi, so cute. Also forgot I had pre-ordered all the Animal Crossing Amiibos so I just cancelled them.

Shaneus

Yea, Two Little Pigs is good! Its around the corner from me so I go often. Haven't actually been for breakfast though!

I'll have to give the burger place a try too, that's not too far.
Oh god, now I want duck fat fries :/

I can think of a few decent burger places the fiancee and I have been to, but I think that's probably the best. No gimmick or massive menu like 8-Bit. And if you're in Geelong, I cannot recommend Pistol Pete's Food 'n' Blues bar for some insanely good fried chicken. Launch in Westfield (I know) is for solid burgers, too.

Dead Man

JB gift cards with approx $280 of value expire today. New PS4 bundle available today looks good. Dead Man gets his wonderful gf to go buy it it with his gift cards as he is feeling a bit under the weather. By the time the wonderful gf comes home, Dead Man is too sick to even set it up. :/

I just want to play JC3 :( At least i have FO4 to assuage the pain. First time in a long time I have multiple games on hand near release lol.

dity

I got really lucky actually, friend of a friend opened up a cafe on corner of Market and Corrimal weeks before I started at uni. And yeah those markets are great, nice variety of stuff, too.

Lucky you. I moved around a lot when younger so I have very few friends I can rely on for stuff like that. D:

You know this "serve everything on a wooden board" shit is outta hand when they serve ice cream on a wooden board. The fuck.

Australia is obsessed with it.

I love when you can tell they have a deal with, like, Kmart's supplier or something due to excess stock. I know you can buy the same boards and chip baskets Maccas uses from Kmart for super cheap.

JB gift cards with approx $280 of value expire today. New PS4 bundle available today looks good. Dead Man gets his wonderful gf to go buy it it with his gift cards as he is feeling a bit under the weather. By the time the wonderful gf comes home, Dead Man is too sick to even set it up. :/

I just want to play JC3 :( At least i have FO4 to assuage the pain. First time in a long time I have multiple games on hand near release lol.

You'll want to get that 'talking about yourself in the third person' looked at. Dead Man's got it bad.

I've been a bit worried about the state of JC3 so I might wait until they do a bit of patching there.

For a SP fix, I'd go with Uncharted or Last of Us if you haven't played them, maybe Infamous and Drive Club (the rest of the first party stuff so far has been pretty forgettable, even regrettable if you add The Order). Also good on PS4: Far Cry 4, AC: Syndicate and Black Flag, Battlefront, Batman AA, MGS V.

MGSV is a seriously good open world thing to get lost in causing mischief.

T-0800

Looking for some info from people who use US streaming services like Netflix over the local offering. Worth it? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I currently have Stan and Netflix but have been wondering if I would be better off having the US equivalent.

Thanks.

Looking for some info from people who use US streaming services like Netflix over the local offering. Worth it? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I currently have Stan and Netflix but have been wondering if I would be better off having the US equivalent.

Thanks.

If you have Netflix you can access the global library through Getflix or a similar service. You don't need another account and arguably it's better value having an Aussie sub coz of price conversions.

dity

Thanks.

I use Hulu in combination with Unblock-Us. Way better than USA or Aussie Netflix IMO.

T-0800

If you have Netflix you can access the global library through Getflix or a similar service. You don't need another account and arguably it's better value having an Aussie sub coz of price conversions.

Interesting. My Netflix usage is unmetered through my ISP. Would this change?

Can you explain what steps take place when you sign up for Getflix please?

Interesting. My Netflix usage is unmetered through my ISP. Would this change?

Can you explain what steps take place when you sign up for Getflix please?
Should still be unmetered if the content is on local servers, Getflix just makes the initial start up of Netflix think you are in another country.

T-0800

Should still be unmetered if the content is on local servers, Getflix just makes the initial start up of Netflix think you are in another country.

What's the process after signing up for the free trial? How do I go from sign up to watching US Netflix on my PS4 or PS3? Their site doesn't seem to have a ton of info on it.

What's the process after signing up for the free trial? How do I go from sign up to watching US Netflix on my PS4 or PS3? Their site doesn't seem to have a ton of info on it.

Right hand side of the page here. Super quick and easy for just the DNS service (pretending to be somewhere else) and VPN is only a little more effort (tunneling your internet access through somewhere else).

To change Netflix region once setup they just have a webpage that you change the location in, that simple!

I can't imagine having Netflix with only AU content. Would be painful as fuck. Currently marathoning X-Files from the US, switched to Italy to watch the Season 6 movie, then back to US to continue the series :)

Use this website to search if something is on Netflix in some region, will tell you which regions so you can just switch to them.

EDIT: HOLY FUCK, STAR WARS IS ON NETFLIX

Dimefan3

Two days into my new job, two people have already given notice (one who I'm supposed to be working closely with), was it something I said? :)

Only kidding, although just quietly the reason the one I'm working with more is leaving is due to the low salary (40k a year, which isn't much to live on in Canberra.)

I'm having to live in a shared house, whichI have never done before. It feels weird, this place is HUGE, and I haven't met the people face to face yet. (Just a housemate that my gut tells me I should be wary of.)

Anything in Canberra anyone recommends to go do?

T-0800

Signed up for the trial and it is working. Surprised how easy it was. Is it just me though or is the picture quality not as good? Perhaps it just takes a bit longer to clear up.

Signed up for the trial and it is working. Surprised how easy it was. Is it just me though or is the picture quality not as good? Perhaps it just takes a bit longer to clear up.

Takes 30 seconds or so to spin up to HD for me sometimes, other times it's only like 4 seconds, never worked out why, assumed it was a load issue.

r1chard

Took the plunge and have bought my first case of Naked Wine and first bottle out, a Shiraz, is quite lovely (if only a year old). Looking forward to trying some more.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
5josrxi.jpg

I'm not expecting this to come close to the Dick Smith meltdown clearance sale, but I'm tempted to go to my local store at 9am regardless.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

spoiler alert, they don't really expire. You can ask the counter staff to call a number and reactivate it for you, particularly if it's a large amount. :)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
DSE haven't had shit for months and months now. They gave up pretty quickly after getting aggressive with prices more than a year ago.

My son fucking hates this. "WHERES THE BIG WILKSHAKE TIN THIS IS A JAR?!?"

Good kid. You've raised him well.

Also, does anyone else here play pokemon cards??

N0VAM0D

Good news — I graduated last night, ahh! I'm now a certified graphic designer. I'm so damn happy! I'll post up my links and everything as soon as I'm content with my websites and all that, which should hopefully be by the end of today or tomorrow. Now I'm just incredibly excited to continue building my skills and grow as a designer. There's so much to learn and experiment with, and I'm really looking forward to what the future brings!

where do we stand on oxford commas? I was taught we weren't to use them in Australia but they seem to be so much more useful.

I give a fuck about an Oxford comma

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
"highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector." This would still be ambiguous if a serial comma were added, as Mandela could then be mistaken for a demigod, although he would be precluded from being a dildo collector.

Congrats novomod!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom