• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Because I'm a terrible person I forgot to make this post last week when having discussions.

Without further ado

RADGAF MEETUP

Who's coming-

Lucian Cat
Marshmallow
Jambo

Where-
Probably the Elephant as per usual. Probably hit town afterwards.

When-
Saturday December 12.

Time-
TBC
I wont be able to get to town til probably 5pm or so

I expect to see some regular faces and possibly some new ones. I'm looking at you Dryk!!!

NewGame

Banned
This is a bit of a weird question but

someone forged my signature on a lease agreement.

I had no idea about it but it happened two years ago apparently and low and behold the lease is up and they didn't pay some amount of their lease so now I've been roped into it.

Luckily it's a poor forgery that isn't my handwriting and the signature looks nothing like mine, just put it beside my drivers licence and it's clear as day.

Soooo what can I do? Who should I go to?

Yrael

Gah, someone's asked me to buy her a Surface 3 Type Cover (specifically in red), but it's not really discounted anywhere in Australia. The cheapest one I can find online is this...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Microsof...329162?hash=item33ad08384a:g:XzUAAOSwLzdWT2Nb

...and it's missing the "J" key.

What a bunch of okers.

This is a bit of a weird question but

someone forged my signature on a lease agreement.

I had no idea about it but it happened two years ago apparently and low and behold the lease is up and they didn't pay some amount of their lease so now I've been roped into it.

Luckily it's a poor forgery that isn't my handwriting and the signature looks nothing like mine, just put it beside my drivers licence and it's clear as day.

Soooo what can I do? Who should I go to?

I would contact the local police. That is an identity crime.

Dryk

I expect to see some regular faces and possibly some new ones. I'm looking at you Dryk!!!
One of my best friends' birthday party at the Fox at 12. Another of my best friends' going away party at the Ex at 8. I'll have to go home in between to drop off a bag of stuff but I'll see what I can do!

Mr. Tone

RadGAF meetup? What a concept. Put me down as a maybe. Has there been any discussion of possible alternate venues? Not that there's anything wrong with the Elephant, but I've been doing some quality drinking at the Wheatsheaf in recent months.

Stackboy

Sup Ausgaf, having a cold in summer sucks.

You know what doesn't suck? Just Cause 3 on PC! It's like JC2, but it's prettier and more explosiony!!!

What year do you reckon was the best year of video game releases? Lexi is talking up 2015 big time. My money is on 2004. UT2004 and HL2 came out that year.

Anyone going to watch The Game Wards and PSX this weekend? I am a conference addict, so I'm up for it.

Darren870

RadGAF meetup? What a concept. Put me down as a maybe. Has there been any discussion of possible alternate venues? Not that there's anything wrong with the Elephant, but I've been doing some quality drinking at the Wheatsheaf in recent months.

The Wheatsheaf is awesome. Really loved the beer there.

Spinifex

You know what doesn't suck? Just Cause 3 on PC! It's like JC2, but it's prettier and more explosiony!!!

What year do you reckon was the best year of video game releases? Lexi is talking up 2015 big time. My money is on 2004. UT2004 and HL2 came out that year.

Anyone going to watch The Game Wards and PSX this weekend? I am a conference addict, so I'm up for it.

Isn't TGA on today? I thought I'd miss it because I'm at work.

2007 is probably the best year. Mario Galaxy, Orange Box, Crysis, Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4.

Fredescu

98 was pretty great. I think in terms of games that I could still play today, and the year where so many major series made their debut, it has to be 2007.

Played and loved these:

Super Mario Galaxy
Portal (series debut)
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Team Fortress 2
Bioshock (series debut)
The Witcher (series debut)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (still one of Obsidians best)
Crysis (series debut, still best in series)
Puzzle Quest (series debut)
Stalker: SoC (series debut)
Viva Pinata (series debut)
FIFA 08 (not as good as 09, but a significant step on a new engine)
Aquaria (amazing indie metroidvania before indie exploded)
Halo 3
Mass Effect (series debut)
Forza 2
Crackdown
Metroid Prime 3
Chibi Robo: Park Patrol
Etrian Odyssey (series debut)

Other significant games:

CoD: Modern Warfare (MW debut)
Uncharted (series debut)
WoW: Burning Crusade expansion
Gears of War (series debut)
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Europa Universalis III
Rock Band (series debut)
Skate
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Assassins Creed (series debut)

Stackboy

Isn't TGA on today? I thought I'd miss it because I'm at work.

2007 is probably the best year. Mario Galaxy, Orange Box, Crysis, Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4.

I figured I'd watch TGA archive tomorrow.

I hear ya *sniffs*

Hang tough!

98 was pretty great. I think in terms of games that I could still play today, and the year where so many major series made their debut, it has to be 2007.

Yeah 2007 stands up pretty well.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've had a cold this year. After four years of living in Taiwan, Australia must be like a day off for my immune system.

Is there actual destructability in the game? I remember playing JC2 and being put off by many factors - the main being that there was generally no consequences of shooting/bombing places. Mercenaries 2 was a far better game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming

Lucian Cat

One of my best friends' birthday party at the Fox at 12. Another of my best friends' going away party at the Ex at 8. I'll have to go home in between to drop off a bag of stuff but I'll see what I can do!
Son of a...

MAKE TIME FOR GAF

Could always go to both. I'm open to suggestions.
Because I'm a terrible person I forgot to make this post last week when having discussions.

Without further ado

RADGAF MEETUP

Who's coming-

Definitely-
Lucian Cat
Marshmallow
Jambo

Maybe-
Dryk
Mr Tone
Marshy says the following may join us
Aniseed
Frawwder
BananaArnie

Where-
Probably the Elephant as per usual. Maybe Wheatsheaf. Probably hit town afterwards for some doof doof.

When-
Saturday December 12.

Time-
TBC
I wont be able to get to town til probably 5pm or so

Gazunta

FUCK THIS FUCKING COLD GAAAAH.

I'm right under an air conditioner at work and it's just making it worse. *flips table*

Best years in games - 1988 was fantastic. Lots of big name, fully featured C64 titles like Bard's Tale 3, Katakis, GREAT GIANA SISTERS, Caveman Ugh-Lympics, Microprose Soccer, Last Ninja 2, Cybernoid 2, Target Renegade, Ultima V, Wasteland and Lucasfilm's fantastic Zak McKracken. Meanwhile the Amiga was starting to get the games that defined what made the machine great - Carrier Command, Rocket Ranger, Xenon, Battle Chess. The GameBoy had Tetris and was like a real gaming console in your hands.

1994 was also fantastic in many ways. The SNES had Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid and Unirally. The MegaDrive was doing similarly well with a strong lineup of games released all the time. New consoles like the 3DO showed promise (man did I love 3DO Need For Speed and Road Rash). Street Fighter games (and movies!) were plentiful. PC gaming was doing fantastic (Wing Commander 3! Jagged Alliance! Doom 2! Warcraft!) and there were still games coming out for the C64 like Lemmings and Mayhem in Monsterland.

2000 was a lot of fun - great Dreamcast titles, the PS1 doing well with games like Final Fantasy 9, Driver 2 and Spyro 3. And games like Diablo 2, Perfect Dark, Majora's Mask...so much fun.

2007 was incredible for many reasons. Rock Band. Portal. CRACKDOWN!

Lucian Cat

If you go to the Elephant I'll be right next door! Just like the first meetup I missed where I was at the movies with my ex

We'll start there probably from 5pm onwards. Will have to confer with Mr Marshmallow.

Even though I have no idea what you look like, I will hunt you down and I will kill you if you don't come and are next door >:|

jambo

1080° Snowboarding
Baldur's Gate
Banjo-Kazooie
Blood II
Caesar III
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Delta Force
Descent: FreeSpace
Falcon 4.0
Fallout 2
Gran Turismo
Grim Fandango
Half-Life
Heretic II
Metal Gear Solid
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Pokémon Red and Blue
Resident Evil 2
SiN
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
StarCraft
StarCraft: Brood War
Starsiege: Tribes
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Thief: The Dark Project
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Tomb Raider III
Unreal

Maaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn

Holy shit what a deal! Mannnn if I lived in QLD I'm not sure I could pass that up.

2015 was a bust for me apart until the last few months. The Order was awful, BB and W3 held no interest for me so I avoided them. Batman AK, MGSV were awesome. Gears and Rare Replay were the only remasters I picked up but both were great. Splatoon and Mario Maker were fun for short periods. I enjoyed this years CoD (last year's had better single player, this year was better multi), Battlefront- I like to complain about but I've still played it for 11 hours. Halo 5 was fun for a bit even if the campaign sorta missed a few tricks. I have TR ROTTR but I haven't cracked it open yet. Fallout 4 has been excellent and I guess I'll be lovingly trudging through that between now and the end of the year. JC3 depends on them patching it.

I don't think of a best year but I have a few faves. I didn't always play the games in launch year, but anyhoo these are the ones I played and loved.

1998: Banjo Kazooie, Ocarina of Time(GOTY), Spyro the Dragon, Metal Gear Solid, Rogue Squadron, Half Life, Rainbow 6

2001 (through some weren't released till 2002 here). MGS2, Halo (GOTY), Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader, Tony Hawk 3, Max Payne, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Jak and Daxter, Red Faction.

2007- Crackdown, Bioshock, Halo 3, CoD4, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, Orange Box(GOTY). Uncharted (lets not get ahead ourselves, the first game was good rather than great).

2008- Burnout Paradise, Battlefield Bad Company, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3 (GOTY), GTA IV, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

2009: Borderlands, CoD:MW2, Uncharted 2 (GOTY), ACII, Infamous, Red Faction Guerrilla, Saboteur.

2013 Lego City Undercover, Super Mario 3D World (GOTY), Windwaker HD, A Link between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion 2, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Last of Us, GTA V, Tomb Raider

Those are my best gaming years

also: Gaz deliberately doesn't list GOTY 2007: Viva Pinata: Party Animals with it's soundtrack of the forever.

Ingram

Missus is away this weekend so I have the house all to myself. I've got a slow cooker going with some lamb shanks, dishes are done. Time to contemplate which bottle of spirits to buy this weekend. I'm heavily inspired to get some whisky after seeing this!

Gazunta

Ingram you just reminded me I have most of the weekend to myself for the first time in ages. I'm gonna party so hard whoooo
I will spend most of it drawing comics

Ingram

Ingram you just reminded me I have most of the weekend to myself for the first time in ages. I'm gonna party so hard whoooo
I will spend most of it drawing comics

I got myself a pretty cool adult colouring book the other day so I might have a go at that too. Something to do to relax and de-stress. They're all the rage at the moment lol.

Fredescu

Kinda think I prefer 1999 to 1998. Doesn't have the sheer volume maybe, but I think I played these more than the 1998 games.

Planescape Torment
Unreal Tournament
Everquest
Counter Strike
Team Fortress Classic
System Shock 2
Dungeon Keeper 2
Homeworld
Age of Empires 2
Quake 3
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Outcast
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Alpha Centauri
Umjammer Lammy
Tony Hawk
Crazy Taxi (arcade release which I didn't play but I'll use to pad my list)
Omikron: Nomad Soul

Other noteable:

Silent Hill
GTA2
Syphon Filter
Shenmue (in Japan anyway)
FF8

Yrael

1080° Snowboarding
Baldur's Gate
Banjo-Kazooie
Blood II
Caesar III
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Delta Force
Descent: FreeSpace
Falcon 4.0
Fallout 2
Gran Turismo
Grim Fandango
Half-Life
Heretic II
Metal Gear Solid
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Pokémon Red and Blue
Resident Evil 2
SiN
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
StarCraft
StarCraft: Brood War
Starsiege: Tribes
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Thief: The Dark Project
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Tomb Raider III
Unreal

Maaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn

Such a good year - even though I didn't actually play Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time until the following year. I got them both for my 11th birthday. I didn't actually have any desire whatsoever to play a Zelda game, but mum thought that I'd probably enjoy Ocarina of Time and bought it for me anyway.

She was absolutely right.

industrian

Kinda think I prefer 1999 to 1998. Doesn't have the sheer volume maybe, but I think I played these more than the 1998 games.

Considering how we were in the PAL ghetto, 1998 games were basically 1999 games for us anyways.

Stackboy

Is there actual destructability in the game? I remember playing JC2 and being put off by many factors - the main being that there was generally no consequences of shooting/bombing places. Mercenaries 2 was a far better game.

Stuff blows up good lots, but not everything. For that you will have to wait for new Crackdown.

I got myself a pretty cool adult colouring book the other day so I might have a go at that too. Something to do to relax and de-stress. They're all the rage at the moment lol.

My wife is super into coloring in. Has been for years, so you could call her a hipster who says she liked it before it was cool.

dity

Got woken up by my downstairs neighbours playing loud music and singing and then watched the game award in my underwear. Gotta love December.

Darren870

Think there will be anything good left at dick smiths? debating on stopping by and seeing if i can get something for xmas presents.

industrian

Think there will be anything good left at dick smiths? debating on stopping by and seeing if i can get something for xmas presents.

I've got a big case of "sales fatigue" after missing out.
Or to put it in less-fancy terms I'm just in a big huff that I missed out.
I'm not going to chase anything now unless it's online, and a PS4 is out of the question unless there's a decent bundle for under $380. After reviewing what I've got right now and my schedule for the first half of 2016, I've got more than enough options for entertainment and probably not enough time to make the most of it. At this point I'm more than willing to wait for the launch of a slim PS4 model.

Darren870

Yea figured I'd just check it out then see what costco has. Not sure what to get the missus for the holidays or her bday yet.

Edit: Though im drunk so I'll have no idea what I am looking at.

Oh well

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
We had some issues nationally today with users on Telstra unable to connect to our services intermittently, no one else, only telstra. Users on various different broadband or mobile broadband connections from different accounts, all cities and regions of aus. System was 100% fine for all other ISP's globally.

fucking telstra business support.

i've been transferred to my 6th department now. Each time I brief them on the issue and ask if they would be able to assist. they say yes.. then i go into detail and they palm me off

ydhfouadshfiudsahfiuds

Kritz

Banned
Today I partook in some wholesome doggo petting and followed it up by some intensive marsupial pets

tkW0bCVh.jpg

It was a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom