• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1chard

The secret is to play pokemon cards. But since you've bailed on us richard, you'll never be a grown up!
I totally bought extra cards. No you bailed!

Hows the Nexus 5X? Thinking thats what I will get the missus for Xmas/Bday. She is on an iphone 4s but I think the Android phones are just smoother. Was looking at 6P, but its huge!

I have the Nexus 5 and love it.
My Nexus 5 died all abruptly so I panic-purchased the 5X. So far, it's a good phone. Solid. The USB-C charger connection is a bit of a pain in the ass until you can find a USB-A to USB-C cable so you can plug it in everywhere. It's bigger - not hugely, but the size creep is getting on my nerves. I don't particularly like the button layout (power and volume on the same side) and I prefer to have the headphone jack on the top (to suit my car cradle because I am a loser without bluetooth in the car). But those are minor things. The speakers project the ringtone/notification sounds far louder, which is great. Haven't had a chance to really push the camera around but so far it seems better than the 5, which was a pretty great camera.

Anyway. I had a new arrival. Unsure if I'll get to play around with it tonight.
Looking forward to your thorough review.

Oh dear that 960GB SSD I bought from amazon for 200 US the other day arrived.

I forgot I bought that.

I also don't need it.

Anyone in hobart want it? I'll give it to you for cost :p

I think we had some chatter in this thread about the future of DSE. I came across this article about how the private equity firm that bought it from Woolworths essentially bought it for $10m and sold it for $500m. https://foragerfunds.com/bristlemouth/dick-smith-is-the-greatest-private-equity-heist-of-all-time/

A bit businessy but a good read.

Yeah I recall reading a great article about how they leveraged the floating stock numbers to make it look like a great business in the short term. We enjoyed the fruit of it for a while with those $45 preorders :)

Finally a good Spotify deal for previous subscribers. $12 for 3 months.

New baby! Went fucking perfect. Thumbs up all round. Administration was fucking awful but the actual midwives and docs/nurses were fantastic.

Totally had to relearn the scottish fold method for nappies again though. Big ups to my parents who had to live in an age without Google! Midwives think I'm top shit after all the nappies I prefolded tonight, fuck yeah.

Super weird though. First child freaked me the fuck out and the first 3 months were hellish as fuck mentally. Today though it was just a few minutes of pure joy after the birth without any real rollercoaster of emotions. Even the wife was okay after an hour or so, felt like routine after that. Very unexpected! I feel no different with 2 kids than I did with just one yesterday, weird. Definitely think we're in a good position of maturing for kids now, compared to our first where we were just dumb kids trying not to fuck everything up.

Damn good view to push out a baby too!
camerazoom-20151207177hsk6.jpg

Great, thanks rep. I guess I'll be watching the first one in about 5 years, at the rate I watch each season.

Yeah it's taken us 6 months to get this far lol. With the new baby I expect it will go on hold now too >.>

There's something to be said for being content with a job that gives you enough to live on and plenty of free time out of hours.

Yup, I pine so fucking hard for my easy as fuck, mindless mailboy job. Christ, my current role is insanely stressful and I just wish I could get out of it and find something at a similar pay rate but without the stress. Which sucks because I am incredibly lucky to be in my current role for a number of reasons and I feel guilty about not being more thankful for it :/

With respect to the work I do, it's beneath me. If it's not beneath a bunch of 40 year olds who are more educated and experienced than I am then I don't know what to think.
People have jobs for a variety of reasons. All some people want out of a job is enough money to pay the bills and doesn't infringe on other aspects of their lives. There's something to be said about a job that doesn't remain in your mind when you leave at the end of the day.

There's something to be said for being content with a job that gives you enough to live on and plenty of free time out of hours.
Yep. If you take a job with more responsibility but it leaves you drained or less likely to enjoy yourself when you leave work, it's not worth it*.

*as long as it doesn't leave you in a financially insecure situation.

It's Taiwan, so the former is debatable and the latter isn't applicable.
I've been in jobs at all levels and the only good thing about upper-level jobs is usually the money. But it comes at a detriment of your free time and the mental and physical energy that you have available to put into your interests. I can't speak to the specific culture and climate of Taiwan but some people have different priorities, regardless of the country.

I think it is? I mean, I know everyone I like and care about is already aware...

Thanks! It is news, happened almost a month ago and we're both super happy. She tolerates pinball, it's more than I could ask!
That's awesome. I think it gives everyone hope when someone such as yourself finds love.

New baby! Went fucking perfect. Thumbs up all round. Administration was fucking awful but the actual midwives and docs/nurses were fantastic.
Congratulations to you, too. (and the rest of the family)

Congrats rep, boy or girl?
Rep is a boy, but it's definitely hard to tell at times.

Jintor

apropos of nothing: i feel like my japanese is actually kinda getting better. however i never want to go in the gaf learn japanese thread again cos it just gets me down.

Darren870

ADyuuXe.jpg

Picked up quite a few games all for $11!

Oh man, I should have stopped in on the way home! Are they marked a $1 or do you have to ask them to scan them?

Never mind, there is a list on ozbargin. Maybe I'll run by in the morning. I'm sure there will be ozbarginers queued up.

Deeku

apropos of nothing: i feel like my japanese is actually kinda getting better. however i never want to go in the gaf learn japanese thread again cos it just gets me down.
lol i went in to see what was up and then saw a lot of blocked user posts. yeah, not a fan of that expert dude

Looks like Imm venturing into the city (Brisbane) for the first time in ages to check out the escape rooms at Strike in the Wintergarden. Anyone done them? They better than the rather cheap looking ones at West End?

If all goes well, I'll get in a round of Laser Tag. Haven't done that since
Expo 88.

dity

Heading into Newtown this Friday to see a show at the Enmore. Going to hit JBHiFi and Kinokuniya on George St first though.

Oh yeah, we're going to be eating at a Barbeque place next to the theatre as well. It looks really awesome. It's called the "Bovine and Swine Barbeque Company". Anyone been before?

Gazunta

Grats, Rep!

Didn't have time to hit JB tonight, and I miiiight be able to go into the city tomorrow to scope out the stores there, but I have a feeling they'll have been cleaned out by the time I get there. BAH!

Heading into Newtown this Friday to see a show at the Enmore. Going to hit JBHiFi and Kinokuniya on George St first though.

Oh yeah, we're going to be eating at a Barbeque place next to the theatre as well. It looks really awesome. It's called the "Bovine and Swine Barbeque Company". Anyone been before?

who you seeing?

Haven't been there but that sounds like my kinda place

Darren870

Went to my JBHiFi This morning. Got 20 games for $26. Almost all of them were actually marked $1 with a price tag.

Had to resist the urge not to buy games to flip though. Figured its not really worth it as a lot of these games are pretty cheap on ebay as it is.

Now here hoping most work in my US Xbox 360. Otherwise off they go.

Fredescu

What sort of hardware is on the link? Can anything run on them standalone?

A Valve guy on Reddit said: "For legal purposes and to help with approvals from regulatory agencies, we have to lock it down pretty tight; we do not support any kind of modding or custom software/firmware. It's best to think of it as a purpose-built streaming client, as opposed to a device with specific hardware specs. But if you're just curious, it's a smartphone-like ARMv7 processor with dedicated h.264 video decoding circuitry, running a custom Linux kernel and a Valve-developed software stack."

So maybe, but probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom